Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to LotRO?

2»

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Takoo
    FFXIV ARR has nothing to explore.. Prob one of the smallest worlds I have seen in an MMO. Not to mention everything because instance at level 50.

I think DEFIANCE takes the reward on that one.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Have you tried Age of Conan ?  

^

this, this and THIS!

Originally posted by Pyuk

Age of Conan was entertaining, but I don't think it really fits the exploration checkbox very well considering the heavy instancing.

WTH?? Heavy instancing, where? You obviously never left the starter area Tortage, after that the playfields are MASSIVE for exploration and 90% takes place in the open world, apart from dungeons and raids of course.

You never even finished Tortage, right?

4 massive continents you can all travel to and decide where you want to level your character

Great stories

Fun mounts

Best graphics in the MMO industry, really flies today on a current gen graphics card

I absolutely finished Tortage and have 3 level 60 characters. The fact that the play zones are big doesn't take away from the fact it's heavily instanced and not really exploration-interesting. Quest hubs-a-plenty. It's a nice looking game with an okay combat system, but yes, very heavily instanced.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Great thread - AoC is free, is it cash shop dependent at all?  That's one reason why I am prone to playing sub games only these days. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• kostanzakostanza Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I'm pretty sure this is the first LF Game thread I've ever read that didn't have some moron saying "The game you're looking for is EVE" (ps - it isn't what you're looking for)
  • EdgeValentEdgeValent Member Posts: 8
    Hmm maybe .. Dungeons and Dragons Online ? 
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

did you know that there is a toggle for the graphics style of the characters in EQ2? you can switch between the original SOE made for western audiences style and the more asian style.

just a thought.

other than that i think Vanguard and EQ2 are your best bets. although zones in EQ2 are instanced from one another. however, im  like you, not a fan of instanced zones in an mmo. however, due to the overwhelming content and size in EQ2 i didnt find the instancing all that troubling for once.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Any fairly active MMO's with a similar atmosphere to LotRO?  I'm not concerned about a WoW-level population or anything.  I just like the low-tech traditional fantasy that LotRO has to offer (except I hate the direction it's taken since F2P).  A few things:

1.  Not interested in Asian MMO's.

2.  Not overly-concerned about graphics, if the gameplay is complelling.

3.  I like to explore.

4.  I couldn't care less about PvP.

So, any suggestions?  I've tried Rift, but I just can't get into the lore at all.  I tried Vanguard several years ago and couldn't get over the really crappy animations, but I'm open to try again.  I enjoyed my time with EQ2 quite a bit, but was kind of turned off when they introduced a more anime style to the characters, and then gimped the hell out of it with F2P.

And on that note, I have no problem with a subscription game.  In fact, I'd prefer it if given the choice.

Asheron's Call 2.  The kingdom v kingdom pvp isn't implemented as far as I know.  Even so, you can go neutral?  I believe...anyway...great old school pve with surprisingly good graphics.  You also get to see where WoW stole their AI/Character Models/and UI from. :)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Have you tried Age of Conan ?  

^

this, this and THIS!

Age of Conan was entertaining, but I don't think it really fits the exploration checkbox very well considering the heavy instancing.

WTH?? Heavy instancing, where? You obviously never left the starter area Tortage, after that the playfields are MASSIVE for exploration and 90% takes place in the open world, apart from dungeons and raids of course.

You never even finished Tortage, right?

4 massive continents you can all travel to and decide where you want to level your character

Great stories

Fun mounts

Best graphics in the MMO industry, really flies today on a current gen graphics card

I absolutely finished Tortage and have 3 level 60 characters. The fact that the play zones are big doesn't take away from the fact it's heavily instanced and not really exploration-interesting. Quest hubs-a-plenty. It's a nice looking game with an okay combat system, but yes, very heavily instanced.

I dunno I´ve played some titles and it´s not more or less instanced than any other MMO. Maybe you don´t like that they are diving your nose into the fact there are instances because each time you enter an area a dialogue box asks if you want to enter in Epic or Normal mode. But that´s about it. Wish it could be turned off though. The worlds itself feel really alive, very much different to for example SWTOR with mobs standing around in a static world. AOC has wildlife and day night cycle and you can level in 4 different countries as you like, that is enough exploration freedom for my taste

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    LotRO has a very distinct feel to it that I've never quite found in any other MMO. It is the only MMO where I could find myself fishing without being bored to tears. The atmosphere is truely unique. I doubt there's anything out there that comes close. The perfect fit is probably just not out there. You'll likely be floating between between LotRO and some other older games for a while to come. All games have flaws.

imageimage
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I tried both Vanguard and EQ2 before I came to LoTro.  I still have Vanguard on my drive, but EQ2 just did not grab me and I uninstalled it after about 2 weeks.  Can't really say why tho.  I think it was the world itself.  Vanguard appears more interesting to me despite the graphics maybe not being on par with EQ2.  I think EQ2 graphics seemed more WoWish to me and and I didn't get that good exploration vibe from it either.  I like Vanguard better in that respect also.

But hell then I tried LoTro and that was it for both of those games.  You have to face facts, you won't find a better world in an MMO at this time IMO.  Head over heels above the rest in that regard.   Pretty hard to look at anything else the same now.

I do think Vanguard might give you an alternative tho to keep you from getting MMO burnout.

And I have to say, I completely agree on the monetization issues.  I wasn't there at the beginning, but it certainly is a frequent distraction and a downside to the game, no question.  None of that in Vanguard that I could see.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!