Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Brad McQuaid Planning Mysterious MMO KickStarter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Brad McQuaid, late of Sony Online Entertainment and Vanguard fame, has been hinting around about an MMO that will shortly see the light of day via KickStarter. McQuaid is looking for ideas on the best way to present the new game via a video interview and is soliciting ideas from fans.

The game is high fantasy and if you've played EQ 1 and/or Vanguard, you've got a general idea of what the game's about and what kind of...

— Brad McQuaid (@Aradune) October 31, 2013

Check out Brad McQuaid's Twitter for more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SoldorSoldor Member UncommonPosts: 81
    First Camelot Unchained and now this. Daoc, everquest and vanguard are prolly my top 3 of all time. I will be contributing to this. Just please focus on pve grouping and open dungeons.
  • JefffeyJefffey Member UncommonPosts: 16
    This looks interesting.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Very interesting. Although I never played VG, the few friends I have who did spoke very highly of it. Really hoping that these kickstarter mmos really pay off.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Hope he got off the pills....
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Blagojevich approves.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,013
    Originally posted by SBFord

The game is high fantasy and if you've played EQ 1 and/or Vanguard, you've got a general idea of what the game's about and what kind of...

In that case "TAKE MY MONEY!!!"

Considering I only subscribe to two mmo's, LOTRO and Vanguard and Vanguard, in my opinion, is better than LOTRO, a "Vanguard 2" minus "the suck" would be right up my alley.

You hear that Brad ... "minus the suck".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Sounds good, but after Vanguard, I'll wait until it launches before I put a penny towards anything Brad McQuaid is involved in.
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

I probably talked a half dozen people into buying Vanguard with me, and most of those people will never trust anything I recommend again, to this day.

If McQuaid had trouble managing a project that had actual funding and investors, how the **** is he going to manage a kickstarter project?  I think I'll wait until a few months AFTER launch on this one.

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by quixadhal

I probably talked a half dozen people into buying Vanguard with me, and most of those people will never trust anything I recommend again, to this day.

If McQuaid had trouble managing a project that had actual funding and investors, how the **** is he going to manage a kickstarter project?  I think I'll wait until a few months AFTER launch on this one.

Perhaps he is sober and clean now ?

• ZDPhoenixZDPhoenix Member UncommonPosts: 218

Don't fall for it.

Brad's shown us that he should not be in a management position.

See Vanguard and the fall of Sigil Games.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Not in a million years.  I have no interest in anything McQuaid is involved in.  Hopefulluy he doesn't ruin Kickstarter for everyone.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Jesus, not again. I hope his KS ends with a video of him snorting coke off of a hooker's ass and saying "Sorry guys, but there's no game. I blew all the money on this" because anyone that gives this man money deserves to have it taken from them.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

You have got to be flipping kidding me.  I wouldn't trust that guy to manage a yard sale.  "Brad McQuaid"  ...... GOOGLE that one with a little bit of "Sigil" and maybe some "ex-employee" added in. 

Here I'll help you out

If your really feeling adventurous dig a bit deeper as it goes way high on the MMO Drama scale.   Not surprised Brad and Smed are holding hands again ...... cut from the same.

~Hairysun

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    The best way to present it is to say he's not a part of it.
  • AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Brad said EQ and VG fans would love EQ Next ... and now he is making an EQ + VG game .. makes sense... not
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Ha ha, ho, ho, tee hee, that is the silliest thing I have heard in quite a while.  

He needs to stay out of gaming, he has zip to offer the genre.  Just ask all those ex employees of his that he stiffed.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Eq1 and VG were great for the time but NO you need to steer very far away from that stuff now,it no longer sells.

If you cannot think of any ideas without resorting back to EQ,then you simply have not got what it takes.I have always been a fan of Brad,he was great for his time but i now question weather he has any creative thought left in him.problem i see for most devs is they have not got out and gamed themselves to see all the different ideas floating around the internet.

Aside from seeing other rare ideas,you NEED the ability to think and create to make ideas better.

What i usually if not always see is devs telling us how they are making it better but in reality are just catering to a cheaper,more cost friendly design,ya they like to lie and mislead us a lot.

A Kickstarter is NOT the way to go,not nearly enough money,more like some indie pet project to keep the feet wet.

I seriously have no idea how this genre is going to turn it around,it takes a lot of money and a lot of smarts and a huge passion for gaming,especially the RPG genre.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    I have always liked Brads vision and what he wanted the MMO to become. But he has proven inept and incapable of managing the entirety of such a large project. Creative director or some such, you bet.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Brad McQuaalude put the high in high fantasy that's for sure. I think if you fund this he might have enough to get opiates from Rush Limbaugh's dealer.

I think in the right setting he works wonderful. He definitely has ideas and concepts that are very intriguing but giving him the keys to the car again with no oversight and no repercussions might be asking for trouble.

Maybe age, wisdom and cutting back on the former lifestyle have made McQuaid better suited to head up an operation but I don't know if I can bet my money on him not having a relapse and going into the fetal position and popping pills like Flintstone vitamins if things got pear-shaped. I'll hope for the best though and will definitely check out the finished product if it makes it that far.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    If only an Asheron's Call reboot was being kickstarted.  I'd literally sale everything I owned to get that financed LOL!

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Ziegler
    Originally posted by quixadhal

Perhaps he is sober and clean now ?

sober and clean is great.

i just don't think its unreasonable to ask to see some results, as well as transparency on leadership, first.

forgiveness is a gift, trust is earned.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839

I know people have got to remember the way that stuff went down with Sigil.  That was bad. Like really,bad.  Why would anyone support someone who does that to their staff.  Heck why would anyone work for him at all. Though looking at the economy I guess.. The way that stuff went down. I don't know.. How staff found out and all. Really screwed some people not talking about customers, his staff. I don't want to come off to hard however the whole situation and the way it was done was so wrong.

I guess good luck to him.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse