Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMO Brad McQuaid is working on

Sandman99Sandman99 Member UncommonPosts: 2
Here's some info that was on twitter.

Kickstarter video will be an interview w/ me. We want to include questions from all of you, so this will be a good format. Unused questions will either be used in future interviews and/or be answered in our FAQ on our future web page. Super specific questions will likely be answered later as opposed to sooner. Please email your questions to [email protected] -- we're excited to start this dialog with our future players! We hope to have our kickstarter page up in the next 3 weeks or so.

The game is high fantasy and if you've played EQ 1 and/or Vanguard, you've got a general idea of what the game's about and what kind of questions to ask. I should also add that if you are a younger player & didn't play EQ or VG, but you want a challenging game & not a game that tries to be all things to all players, then you should feel right at home too, so please send us some questions as well.

Comments

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I have not heard much about this but I am interested since Brad was instrumental in the success of EQ.

1. What kind of budget and how big will the dev crew be for this new game?

2. Are you going for several races with several unique starting areas?

3. Are you going for original EQ size or something different?

4. Will there be speech or going for the older style text only from npc's?

5. Is there a name for the lands this will take place?

6. What timeline/theme is this (examples would be steampunk,classic,futuristic,fantasy)?

7. Will there be druids :) ?

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398
    This is interesting b/c last I heard Brad was @ SoE again working on the EQ2 and/or EQNext team(s). Wonder what happened there.
  • Sandman99Sandman99 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I know soe had some layoffs during the summer and he was part of that. After that happened, he hinted at working on anther mmo. I know very little about the game but I've gotten it all from his posts on twitter. As for those questions, I suggest emailing him. I played eq1 for years and definitely looking forward to seeing what he's making this time.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by teddyboy420
    This is interesting b/c last I heard Brad was @ SoE again working on the EQ2 and/or EQNext team(s). Wonder what happened there.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/brad-mcquaid-working-on-secret-mmo-since-leaving-soe/

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Nadia

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/10/brad-mcquaid-working-on-secret-mmo-since-leaving-soe/

Lol, given the timeframes we are talking about here, this MMO must still be in pre-concept design phase.

He was let go in August. That's 2 months ago. Then he put a team together and started working on the "sekret MMO". What's next, the Kickstarter campaign ? image

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Sorry pretty leary after all the mis-management that happaned with the launch of Vanguard.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Why in the world is this guy important?

You make me like charity

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    After Vanguard I doubt many people care what he is doing. The guy has not been relevant in years.
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    I would love to see Brad make something akin to Vanguard 2 and be able to finish it correctly this time. That said, I have absolutely ZERO interest until the upper management has been revealed and the clause limiting Brad to NOTHING BUT DEVELOPMENT and no access to the money and personnel decisions is made public.
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

If anyone here wasn't around during the Vanguard Sage, please hear me out.

Be very careful supporting this guy. Once Vanguard failed and the employees of Sigil were fired and started talking, the following was made perfectly clear. McQuaid had poor leadership, limited understanding of what was actually going on in his own dev studio (he didn't know what features were really in or out of his game), was often away from the office, was extremely misleading in both interviews and to publishers (Microsoft dropped the game because of this), and was overall pretty incompetent.

If I remember the devs were brought out to a parking lot and fired without warning.

The entire diplomacy system was thrown together by an employee at the last moment because it was never even properly prototyped or taken beyond the "vision" stage.

I for one will be waiting for this MMO to be released. Get ready for hype and over the top McQuaid "visions" that will never come to fruition.

Be warned, seriously.

Originally posted by Vutar
    Originally posted by jdnewell
    After Vanguard I doubt many people care what he is doing. The guy has not been relevant in years.

GW2 hasn't been relevant in a  year yet you still have it in your signature.

That may be true. However I am not a game developer and no one gives a shit whats in my sig or what games I am playing really.

Brad McQuaid  however is and if he is starting a Kickstarter asking for peoples money then people should pay attention and know his history.

You can be a fan of his and thats fine. After Vanguard just dont expect everyone to be.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    I would love to see Brad make something akin to Vanguard 2 and be able to finish it correctly this time. That said, I have absolutely ZERO interest until the upper management has been revealed and the clause limiting Brad to NOTHING BUT DEVELOPMENT and no access to the money and personnel decisions is made public.

Yup, I'd very much agree.

Of course, I don't know Brad personally, and I wasn't part of the Sigil Games crew, but I was an early fan of Vanguard. I did follow that story with interest while it was unfolding. And it wasn't pretty.

"Brad the Game Designer" get's my vote without second thoughts, "Brad the Project Manager" has me running for the hills. Given how the Sigil/Vanguard saga played out, giving Brad unconditional funding via Kickstarter is probably not the brightest idea...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

That may be true. However I am not a game developer and no one gives a shit whats in my sig or what games I am playing really.

Brad McQuaid  however is and if he is starting a Kickstarter asking for peoples money then people should pay attention and know his history.

You can be a fan of his and thats fine. After Vanguard just dont expect everyone to be.

I was terrible at my job when I first started doing it. Now I get flown all over the place to consult with people. I've failed lots of times in my past. Just because I wasn't always successful doesn't mean I wont be in the future.

In the gaming industry, someone that knows what doesn't work is probably in a better position to figure out what does, than a guy you've never heard of or someone that was just a cog in a successful project now taking the lead.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Sandman99
    Here's some info that was on twitter. Kickstarter video will be an interview w/ me. We want to include questions from all of you, so this will be a good format. Unused questions will either be used in future interviews and/or be answered in our FAQ on our future web page. Super specific questions will likely be answered later as opposed to sooner. Please email your questions to [email protected] -- we're excited to start this dialog with our future players! We hope to have our kickstarter page up in the next 3 weeks or so. The game is high fantasy and if you've played EQ 1 and/or Vanguard, you've got a general idea of what the game's about and what kind of questions to ask. I should also add that if you are a younger player & didn't play EQ or VG, but you want a challenging game & not a game that tries to be all things to all players, then you should feel right at home too, so please send us some questions as well.

I got excited untill I read the now underlined part. So I am asuming it will be a somewhat challenging themepark we already have plenty of because to me old school actually offered allot towards players different playstyle's. And most of today's Themepark games give a very limited choice in gamestyle's.

Or should I read it more as being more focussed playstyle's?

So a crafter could be just that a crafter from level 1 till cap (if there are levels) Instead of what we have today that crafter is more a warrior or mage with crafting skills slapped on?

Originally posted by Torvaldr

There is a difference between cautiously watching and expecting transparency and callously dredging up past mistakes, rudely throwing it in their face, and relegating them to irrelevancy. One is being wise, the other is being a dbag.

Let's watch and expect transparency. For one, it's only fair to the rest of their team. If someone just can't trust them ever again then there isn't a need to sling mud.

If you think me calling him irrelevant and mentioning Vanguard  is slinging mud and being a Dbag then just wait until he launches his KS. That will bring out some real mud slinging.

As far as the relevance comment goes he has pretty much been behind the scenes since VG and all the drama that entailed. That was not a personal attack, just a fact. If you want to get butt hurt at someone questioning his relevance then have at it.

You go ahead and " cautiously watch" and hope for the best. I will take a look when / if it ever releases and judge the product then.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Why in the world is this guy important?

Oh don't want anyone else calling me a troll, for posting 100% FACT, and any so called journalist worth a damn who really wanted to do some FACT checking, investigating, and for once write a REAL story, the stories are out there waiting.

Granted being a real journalist is like being a real anything, it takes integrity and hard work, concepts that are so alien to most people these days. 

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Do you think you can make a game that's good enough to not have to be a F2P?

There is a difference between cautiously watching and expecting transparency and callously dredging up past mistakes, rudely throwing it in their face, and relegating them to irrelevancy. One is being wise, the other is being a dbag.

Let's watch and expect transparency. For one, it's only fair to the rest of their team. If someone just can't trust them ever again then there isn't a need to sling mud.

If you think me calling him irrelevant and mentioning Vanguard  is slinging mud and being a Dbag then just wait until he launches his KS. That will bring out some real mud slinging.

As far as the relevance comment goes he has pretty much been behind the scenes since VG and all the drama that entailed. That was not a personal attack, just a fact. If you want to get butt hurt at someone questioning his relevance then have at it.

You go ahead and " cautiously watch" and hope for the best. I will take a look when / if it ever releases and judge the product then.

I'm not calling you a dbag at all. Taking random potshots just for the sake of it is sort of dbaggery. There's really no need to go down that road. That's all.

I'm not butthurt. Not sure why you need to keep lashing out. I don't know if I'll even like their concept. I will watch cautiously because it might be interesting, but I'm not going to blindly jump in with two feet and eat it all up just because EQ and VG:SOH gets tossed around. I'm going to watch and see how it works, just like I am with Shroud of the Avatar and Camelot Unchained.

Its all good =)

I was not lashing out, or at least did not intend for it to be read that way.

Maybe it is being a Dbag bringing up VG, maybe not. Either way I think if he plans on doing a KS asking for people to donate then his past performance and record of mishandling a project  should be a consideration. He gets let go. laid off, quits or whatever from SOE recently and all the sudden is asking for public funding for another MMO. His past IS relevant , like it or not.

I was around and followed what happened with VG. Some very shady stuff, especially concerning the people he employed and how that all went down. I just cant understand how that can be disregarded when now he is wanting crowd funding in which he will have even less accountability with the money.

Overall I wish him luck and hope he can do better than last time. Hopefully the guy can make a great game. I am sure he is a competent developer who has some great ideas, but being a project lead is another thing entirely.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

am very much intrested in what Mcquaid can bring, but aint holding me breath, nor will I support a KS - have yet to, but would always be happy to be suprised positively.

anyways old news and bring us something "real MMOish" Brad, and I ll support it....anyway the guy got issues, wish somebody would help him to get a grip of himself

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by mechtech256

Be very careful supporting this guy. Once Vanguard failed and the employees of Sigil were fired and started talking, the following was made perfectly clear. McQuaid had poor leadership, limited understanding of what was actually going on in his own dev studio (he didn't know what features were really in or out of his game), was often away from the office, was extremely misleading in both interviews and to publishers (Microsoft dropped the game because of this), and was overall pretty incompetent.

If I remember the devs were brought out to a parking lot and fired without warning.

The entire diplomacy system was thrown together by an employee at the last moment because it was never even properly prototyped or taken beyond the "vision" stage.

I for one will be waiting for this MMO to be released. Get ready for hype and over the top McQuaid "visions" that will never come to fruition.

Be warned, seriously.

After the epic fail that was Vanguard, why should we trust him ever again?  I won't.  

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

Does Brad feel think that investors will be willing to invest heavily into a drug addict that detroyed the last company he ran?

How long has he been clean?

Should somebody invest in someone who was part of making a good thing once, and failed at reproducing it again, and is now attempting to recreate it again?

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by mechtech256

Be warned, seriously.

Pretty much this. Anyone giving money to this guy is seriously living in La-La Land and living their life with their head firmly buried in the sand. The amount of people this guy screwed over can be counted in the proverbial parking lot of what used to be Sigil games.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I thought VG had some great concepts. Decent crafting, housing, huge exploration, non instanced dungeons, interesting race selection. Id check out a new game like that.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Lets put it this way. If he ends up making a great game that everyone who has played it says is a great game and I get to try it hands on to see it is a great game BEFORE spending any money....sure, that's fine.

However, donating any money to this guys Kickstarter on the PROMISE that he is going to make a great game......yeah that ain't happening.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Nadia

Going by that article, I have the impression that SOE is going to end up "publishing" this MMO (if it ever release). Brad pushed his idea to Smedley who was excited about it.