Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft: Why Can't I Get Into Hearthstone?

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft is the current "it-game" around the online gaming space, and for the life of him... Bill can't figure out why. So today, he's going to kvetch about how he can't get into the game, and ask you all for tips on how to get more enjoyment from Blizzard's wildly popular online TCG. Read on and educate Bill!

Blizzard’s Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft was initially scoffed at by many when it was revealed back at PAX East… I was not one of those doing the scoffing. I thought the game looked brilliant, flashy, simple and fun. Fast forward a few months and open up the beta, and lo and behold: I’m not playing the CCG (collectible card game). However, it appears many thousands of online gamers are and loving every second. It’s one of Twitch’s most popular games, it’s constantly talked about across my social media, and even our own Garrett Fuller and Mike Bitton can’t put the thing down. So why is it I can’t seem to get into the latest gaming craze to hit my circle of influence?

Read more of Bill Murphy's Why Can't I Get Into Hearthstone?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• KamiseiKamisei Member Posts: 3
    Well I don't have hearthstone access but what makes it awesome for me is the IP of the warcraft universe and Blizzard always delivering an awesome relatively cheat-free online multiplayer experience, and so far has always been a master of whatever genre it dabbed into really, so it's just another challenge for them, another tale for the consumer to be enveloped in for hundreds of hours.
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    I think you answered your own question. You don't like card games. As a long time Magic the Gathering player, CCGs/TCGs are my favorite games. I love the strategy, the individuality of deck building, and even the added randomness of card draws. This makes an irresistible combination to me. But if it leaves you cold, Hearthstone will not change your mind. It's a dumbed down( not always a bad thing), highly polished variant of M:TG. Just because Blizzard is making it doesn't mean you should like it. I hate RTS games, and StarCraft did nothing to change that. It's ok to not like this game, Bill.

• Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Senadina
    I think you answered your own question. You don't like card games. As a long time Magic the Gathering player, CCGs/TCGs are my favorite games. I love the strategy, the individuality of deck building, and even the added randomness of card draws. This makes an irresistible combination to me. But if it leaves you cold, Hearthstone will not change your mind. It's a dumbed down( not always a bad thing), highly polished variant of M:TG. Just because Blizzard is making it doesn't mean you should like it. I hate RTS games, and StarCraft did nothing to change that. It's ok to not like this game, Bill.

This. You don't like card games.

I don't like racing games. never have, never will.

Also, olives are horrible!

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Bill...

No lie, i was fortunate to get an invite to play it a few weeks ago- tend to play it abt few rounds a night now-lol!!!.. its pretty addictive in a League of ledgends  kinda way...with its quick matches, an easy to grasp concept..

this will be Blizzards sleep away hit for sure on its release!-ive already purchased some card packs from their shop- so iam already hooked!

what stands out for me about the game is its voice over on cards -and animations! pretty sweet game over all! my one pick about the game most hero class decks are orcs -lol...i hope that changes upon release!

iam one who never was a card player or a post wow enthusiast- but now Blizz has made me one!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Senadina

I was one of the lucky ones, got into beta the day it started which was about 3 months ago.  I still play upwards of 5-6 hours per day, about the same as I spent on MMO's in the past but I still find myself thinking of the game at work and in my dreams.  That's how much this game f*****g rocks.  I love it and it loves me!  I am all but done with MMO's for the time being because of this game.  Like you I started with CCG's (MTG) and I played them long before MMO's was a thing so to me Hearthstone is like a nostalgia trip down memory lane.

But then again Bill I feel the same way you do about MOBA's, for the life of me that is one genre I do not understand and think is beyond silly but I don't begrudge someone their preferences.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Did you actually play more than a handful of games? 

It gets a lot better when you get chars leveled up, buy some packs, and do a couple arenas.

Right now I'm in this great flow with the game, I have over 600 gold saved, have an arena deck I can play when I'm bored, and tend to login to do the dailies.  I don't try to play more than that.  So about 5 games a day on average, takes probably an hour or less. 

I don't mind that I don't have all the best cards, I still get a new pack every couple days which is fun.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    My only issue with it is that there isn't a free version of arena (yes I know dailies basically give you the gold needed but it's the game type I find the most fun).
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I guess it's not my place to begrudge this site for trying to grab a piece of this pie.  Have fun, budget safely folks. 

If you've not played a collecting game or monetized game before, please, please take a moment to think carefully about what you're getting yourself into and whether there's anything you'd rather be doing with your money before you start down the road of making impulse purchases.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Most likely what others mentioned as well, and you wrote it too: "because I’ve never really been into card games"

What makes Hearthstone tick?  Dunno, I don't play it either, but because of the exact reverse of your reasons "I’ve never really been into card games, ..... But then, I realize this is Blizzard...."

I was all about CG's for years. Skipped the letters T/C from the front, since I never cared about Trading or Collecting. For me it was the theory crafter's dream, building different decks, optimize the size for the pull chances, finding harmonies which are playing well together, etc. Loved it. True, it was a financial black hole, but luckily in the late 90's started to arrive the PC / web versions. Good times...

But there's your other point, which was the positive one in your case, it's Blizz. Beforehand, to avoid the virtual stoning, it's imo, IMO :) They're the ones who ruined the rpg genre with their f-ed up diablo, turned it into a gear-craved xh-hounding combat fest. Same with the strategy genre and their lame Dune2 clones (true, there were C&C and TA as well, but Blizz had the biggest part in it). And as for mmo's and wow... let's not even go in there :)

I admit, Hearthstone is looking nice based on the vids, I could even picture myself playing a few rounds on tablet during travelling and stuff, but it's Blizz. So, rather not, thanks. Again, just imo :)  And it's a nice column, as always. Love the chicken picture, and I deeply agree with your "We cannot force ourselves to like everything" line.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I can see the attraction of it played in a handheld device like the Ipad or something. But not on my desktop.

Back when SWG had the TCG and EQ2 (still has probably) their TCG, it was fun time passing while waiting for others of a group to join you. They had their TCG available inside the MMO, which I made use of when others were afk or I was too early back online and waiting for others. But that already showed that I don't like TCG's enough as main game.

• skgoaskgoa Member Posts: 4
    I think Hearthstone still needs to go a long way before it can stand on its own. ATM it's highly anticipated by Blizzard fans but it remains to be seen whether the so called "casual" gamers will flock to it.
  • Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    When they announced this game, I was pissed that they were wasting their resources on this game instead of finishing Titan or their moba. I started seeing that this game was taking the internet by storm, so I started playing the beta, and now I'm completely hooked. However, the fact that I can't chat with my competitor is kind of a turn off. They should give us the option to chat and give us the ignore option for the jerks. The lack of socialbility in the game is the only thing that takes the shine off for me.
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    I can't get into Hearthstone myself, the game is solid mechanically and pleasing to the eye but I don't feel any motivation to play it. There isn't much of a 'hook' to the game. I liked the questing aspect at the beginning that was fun and I think this would be the kind of game that would benefit more with the HEX MMO style system. But that's just me. There are thousands of players all playing this game and enjoying it a lot, I am, alas, not one of them.

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Bill...PLAY HEARTHSTONE!

That being said, the attraction for me compares to the first few months of Magic the Gathering. It is a new, fairly well built card game. Its fun and simple. Like Magic, once we get to the second or third expansion of cards, I will lose interest. It is the fact that a set number of cards is out right now that makes it fun. 

:p 
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Probably because you would rather be playing Battlefield 4 and blowing stuff up instead of playing a card game.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Same here, I don't like those type of games. But I don't question myself as to why I don't like them. It is what it is. I also don't like MOBA games. But I do like them for being there for those who do like them.

Sometimes curiousity takes over and I might atleast try thing I think I dislike. But the end conclusion is what it already was just not my type of game.

I just don't think to much as to why I might not like something but I rather focus on the things I do like or atleast give things a change while you still can make up your own mind if you like or dislike certain things.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

For me, "card pixels" is not something I want to invest money in.  I do not want to spend cash on a virtual card that I have no real ownership of.

You have no actual physical card to trade, sell, and buy.

----

Hopefully the game game never closes shop and you don't lose all of your investment because your cards are pixels, not an actual item you can hold in your hand.

I love magic the gathering and various other card games.  I also love the fact that I have my MTG cards from 18 years ago.  No one can "shut down MTG" and make me lose them.  Only fire or theft can take them from me.  Not some server crash, game closing, getting banned for posting something dumb on a forum/in-game or anything.

----

But I do play MTG on my xbox/steam.  But you don't buy booster packs with cash.  All cards are set and free (beyond paying the initial price for the actual game)

---

But....for those who like it, great!  Just I beg you to be careful and not go bananas.  You will be in for dissopointment if the game closes shop and you lose your 100s if not 1,000s of dollars of investment in their "virtual cards".

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Dragim

But I do play MTG on my xbox/steam.  But you don't buy booster packs with cash.  All cards are set and free (beyond paying the initial price for the actual game)

--

That version of MTG is a disgrace.  It's improved over the last couple of versions, but the inability to make custom decks with a real card selection, lack of tournaments, etc, make it a hollow shell of true magic.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I'll have your olives.
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Why can't I get into,  is a question I did ask my self at early teenage. I found out you have to work on it, if you want to come into,what ever you must lie you must make people Think you are something good or what ever , and this is how it works what ever you are trying to get into.
  • Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    I thought the title was covering why people can't get into hearthstone as in, can't get access because Blizzard sucks and aren't keeping track of their beta keys and are instead giving them to bots and people are selling them off for over 100 bucks a pop.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I kinda feel you Bill, I have every class but  priest (havent unlocked yet, cause they own me) to level 10, and still feel meh

• mithossmithoss Member UncommonPosts: 225
    i really dislike how most of my duells end in this game. in the end me and my oppenent are out of cards and we both just play the card we pull from the deck when its my/his turn. at that point its just luck, no strategy. 
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Not really fair to judge a game thats in closed beta. Most players literally cannot get in to (play) Hearthstone.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

Got it, enjoyed it the first night but it's taken a backseat, thinking perhaps a wipe will happen. I think I will play it much more when it comes to iPad.

Right now my iPad game of choice is Marvel Puzzle Quest :-)