Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone play this? Thinking of getting the 29.99 steam version

darnapkindarnapkin Member UncommonPosts: 146

I'd like to get at least 3 months out of the game if I'm going to spend 30 dollars on it, I try to get the most bang for my buck now that I'm on a budget.

So is it worth it?  I've played many mmo's, so whats it like?

Comments

• ToneFishToneFish Member UncommonPosts: 13

I finished the main story yesterday along with all the DLC (Issues) content .  I've spent 250 hours playing it so far and I've not repeated more than a handful of quest and only because they were fun.  To me that is a lot of value considering a 2 hour movie costs about €15 (at least where I am from).  And even better, the story does not end after finishing the main story line, it will continue and evolve with new issues being released.   

I can really recommend it if you like an immersive experience and you like a good story.  If you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to share my personal experiences. 

Also, make sure your computer is powerful enough to run it if you decide to go ahead and buy it.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I've played through it, but it was always as a secondary game to whatever I am playing at the time. Kinda like a way to break up my other games, lol. Story is great. The modern-day theme is fresh if you're used to playing fantasy-style games. You'll hear a lot about it feeling like a single-player RPG, and it can feel like that, but it's still well worth the money. The skill/progression system is a little different than most, which is nice. It's a fun game and you'll probably spend at least a hundred hours in it, so it it is definitely worth the buy. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It's an okay game.  For me, it wasn't like other MMOs, where I could spend hours on end playing it though.  I could play like 2-3 hours, then it was time for a change.  I'm not sure why, but it just couldn't hold my attention like other games.
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

It has some of the best MMO quests ever.  That alone makes it worth the purchase.  The $30 price on steam at the moment includes 3 DLC packs (issue 5, 6, and 7) which each add about roughly 10 hours of content to endgame players and issue 8 is apparently due out next week which adds content to endgame (with scenarios and augments).

The issue 7 trailer gives you an idea of what the game is like

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    This is my go to game really.  I would always tell you it is worth it.  Hell, that edition is worth it just for the issues.  Great game but not your typical MMO  Best quests in the genre but can be very hard if you don't pay attention to builds and all of your options.  And it seems like some of the best parts of the game are coming very soon.  Issue 8 and Tokyo are on the horizon so it is a great time to jump on in and get acclimated!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I can highly recommend getting the game if you like horror/mystery themed games. Personally I didn't think much of the game's MMO aspects, but played it mostly like a single-player RPG. The quests are better than any MMO out there and beat many single player games, too.

Even if you just play the storyline and sidequests and forget all about the MMO stuff (like dungeons, etc.) it's well worth the money.

Speaking of which, I should probably reinstall one of these days and check out what quests they have added since I last played.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The setting, stories and quests are top notch. The combat feels a bit slow, but that really depends on which skills you pick. I would recommend reading a guide, starting on the forums about which sets of skills do what.

The game is not 'easy mode' anything though. You actually have to read the and follow the quests to complete them. Even if you're just going to find the solutions on the internet, you will need to make sure that you pay attention to the solutions. It's not schoolwork, but it's not WoW either. They've made a good bit of effort to make sure the combat is not a sleepwalk too. Personally, I'm not a fan of the combat, but it's no worse than most other tab target, skill clicker games, and better than a lot of them.

I think there is at least $30 worth of content compared to other $30 games I've bought, and a lot more than most $30 games I've bought. Of course, your mileage may vary.

The game's sales were pretty bad when it released. They expected to sell many, many more copies of the game. TSW got decent, but not great, reviews from critics which may have contributed to the lackluster sales. In contrast, the people who play the game give it high marks and it has a good retention rate. To me, this says the setting and focus of the game targets a niche group of people, and does it really well. It's a niche game, and if you're in the target niche of a somewhat literary urban fantasy fan, it will deliver a good time.

Sources:
    Metacritic - Reviews
    MMO Fallout (high expectations)
    Funcom Investor Report - Retention rates higher than expected, even though sales tanked

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Quests that make you think and google morse code, ancient egyptian glyphs, etc...

The game has the best sort of mystery and detective'ish type of quests!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    With all these copycats on mmorpg market, TSW is a really nice gem with great setting and atmosphere. I have it, love it and still play it.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    It´s awesome, get it you won´t regret it
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Great game, great deal!

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I got it at launch and played for about 3 days. I just couldn't get past the clunky combat (even though I tried various builds). The story and questing is excellent though. Is the combat any better? If so maybe I should reinstall...
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Have a look at some game play videos on YouTube. I personally wouldn't play a game which looks so clunky and bland.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    While leveling it is fun and different. The way the quest system works is good, you take large multi stage quests rather than Hoover up a load of small quests at a hub and play the map. It also rewards exploration some what with out of the way rare mobs and hidden quests. Finally you can change your build on the fly, which helps to mix things up and keep it interesting.

But end game is the same old same old, sat in agartha waiting to go the same instances over and over.

So maybe, if you think of it like a sprpg its a decent enough deal for a couple of months play. Although its story driven, its swtor done right, in that it has the story but its not ALL story to the detriment of the rest of the game.
  • goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    The combat works pretty much like gw2.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Still the best write-up and summary of the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

Definitely worth it.

• UngoHumungoUngoHumungo Member Posts: 518
    The only complaints about this game I had was when I was getting aggravated trying to solve the puzzles....but honestly i was more annoyed that I wasn't able to see the next phase without finishing the current.....the Content is amazing seriously best storyline in an MMO I've ever seen

There are times when one must ask themselves is it my passion that truly frightens you? Or your own?

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Have a look at some game play videos on YouTube. I personally wouldn't play a game which looks so clunky and bland.

Or, ask for a trial key below and actually play the game:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/forums/post/6016072#6016072

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Good but flawed game.  I endorse it, but it's not for everyone. 

Pros:

1. Business model is B2P akin to GW2. You buy the game, the whole game is open to you. Cash shop is used for additional content and cosmetic purchases. Additional content has been worth the cost.

2. Question structure and detail are outstanding. Best I've played in an MMO.

3. Community is great except for end game. The L2P crowd exists here, but not during the leveling and story experience.

4. Graphics are really nice on a high end machine. The graphics and art create a very good atmosphere.

Cons:

1. Despite the hundreds of skills and effective combinations, this game is a gear grind at heart. You will repeat the end game content hundreds of times to gain small increases in gear level.

2. PvP is fun, but not quality. Gear trumps all in PvP, so you will occasionally run across unkillable tanks or DPS one shotting you.

3. Game UI for crafting, inventory, and switching gear and skills, is unwieldy, poorly designed and often broken. Game is over a year old and the gear manager is still broken. Crafting mats do not consistently auto stack, and have to be dragged from inventory to bank.

4. No way to auto group aka dungeon finder. Breaking into the Nightmare level of gameplay is frustrating for the new person. Because gear progression is designed around doing the NM dungeons hundreds of times, people want efficiency from their runs, and will not take under geared or new players to the dungeons.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Absolutely love the part of it I have played. I bought the 50% off basic game when it was on sale this week. I hope you made up your mind already because I think the sale ended today.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    It's an okay game.  For me, it wasn't like other MMOs, where I could spend hours on end playing it though.  I could play like 2-3 hours, then it was time for a change.  I'm not sure why, but it just couldn't hold my attention like other games.

Im glad I got to try it in beta and didnt pay for it...I didnt think much of the game at all.....The combat and animations were below par and there wasnt much content.....People seem to eitehr love or hate this game so its up to the individual

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I put a 'lot' of time into the game, it has unparalleled freedom in character design and playstyle during the 'leveling' portion of the game. but where it meets its downfall is its a 'farm game' at heart.

Grinding out ap, sp, crafting mats, tokens, sigils and cash inst really a worthy endeavor in the long run, because once you reach nightmare mode and start farming gear there reaches a point where your just going for overkill.

Which then comes the decision Do, i continue to grind nightmare modes for minuscule and irreverent power which has no practical application? or do i just quit?

The saving grace would imo be if they implemented random events. Having played in the dev created events they were a ton of fun. if they can implement events which continue to test the brawn of your character then there might be some use for gaining stats above 10.4~

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

Be for warned , some of them quests are tough!! But man is it rewarding to yourself when you manage to figure one out by yourself!!!

I got it, and loving it!!

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    It`s not easy to go back to GW2 after watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI34PuKEEPE :)
  • iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

TSW is worth the price of admission, but I'd avoid Steam. I know they offer great deals sometimes, but you're basically running the game client within the Steam client. It's an extra dependency, and extra things that can (and do) go wrong with Steam can (and will) prevent you from launching the very games you want to play.