Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EVE Online: Crossing the Rubicon

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last weekend's EVE Online event in Las Vegas, we had the opportunity to find out more about the next expansion, Rubicon. We've got lots to tell so head through the jump and check it out!

One of the biggest new features is the Mobile Deployment Structures. The MDS’s give players several convenient features that vary depending on which of the four you have available. The Mobile Depot allows you to access your stash and make changes to your ships. It’s sort of a portable space home. The depot can be deployed just about anywhere and has a special 48 hour reinforcement. Be wary of your placement though, as anyone who finds it can still scan it and, eventually, blow it up.

Read more of Blake Morse's EVE Online: Crossing the Rubicon.

e more approachable for new players.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I don't understand the paragraph about Interbus and customs offices.

You have always been able to destroy them in low and null sec. 

It has always been CONCORD in high sec that owns them and you can not destroy them.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• F4tal_InrocknitoF4tal_Inrocknito Member Posts: 3

with Rubicon you can destroy the custom offices in high sec

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Frigs do warp faster than cruisers. Is there a change in acceleration and deceleration in warps based on hull size or something else?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Frigs do warp faster than cruisers. Is there a change in acceleration and deceleration in warps based on hull size or something else?

The change is in how quickly a ship accelerates up to warp speed prior to warp and how quickly they decelerate down from warp speed after warp. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Originally posted by Demogorgon

Just get rid of this f**ck tard shi*t & pop would explode. But eh... I'm just the voice of reason you know. Who cares about that?  right?

No, you are not the voice of reason. Do not foster that illusion. But it is anyways nice of you to not play EvE. Please keep it that way. Thank you very much.

• AzorAhai-ArchangelAzorAhai-Archangel Member UncommonPosts: 27

"One fan during the open mic Q&A was ballsy enough to ask if they would ever nerf the difficulty or halt griefing for noob players and was immediately met with a hail of boos."

I couldn't give a $#%! less how many boos I get - griefing is wrong and stupid. I'll say it to ANYONE! And those who do it, deserve each other. ANYONE who thinks griefing is "fun" needs to have their heads examined. Seriously who the f%#k boos a legitimate question? Answer - psychotic "I Kill You" fanboys. It's ONE of the MANY reasons why I stopped playing. I just don't want to be associated with a game like THAT! Mazel Tov EO!

I can't wait for Star Citizen to come out, mop the floor with Eve Online, and show EVERYBODY how a space sim is SUPPOSED to be done.

While Rubicon SOUNDS nice and all, I know for a FACT, that most fans of EO (you know the ones who aren't psycho) were PROMISED, waited for, and were denied "Dust 514" & "Valkyrie". Rubicon is a PR campaign (band-aid to wound), and not much else.

Now "Boo" that!!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    All the big text in the world won't change the fact that eve is the only game in mmo history still growing in pop after 10 years. And for every fool who doesn't try to understand why evil folks are needed in a game like eve (and no I'm not one of them, I spend time in rens each week helping people who are new avoid scammers) there are two who understand that things like this make eve a real, living, breathing, and flawed world.

Long live the greatest mmo ever.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    Originally posted by askanison40

"One fan during the open mic Q&A was ballsy enough to ask if they would ever nerf the difficulty or halt griefing for noob players and was immediately met with a hail of boos."

I couldn't give a $#%! less how many boos I get - griefing is wrong and stupid. I'll say it to ANYONE! And those who do it, deserve each other. ANYONE who thinks griefing is "fun" needs to have their heads examined. Seriously who the f%#k boos a legitimate question? Answer - psychotic "I Kill You" fanboys. It's ONE of the MANY reasons why I stopped playing. I just don't want to be associated with a game like THAT! Mazel Tov EO!

I can't wait for Star Citizen to come out, mop the floor with Eve Online, and show EVERYBODY how a space sim is SUPPOSED to be done.

While Rubicon SOUNDS nice and all, I know for a FACT, that most fans of EO (you know the ones who aren't psycho) were PROMISED, waited for, and were denied "Dust 514" & "Valkyrie". Rubicon is a PR campaign (band-aid to wound), and not much else.

Now "Boo" that!!

Well, it's a legitimate question, but one that is asked about 20 times each week on EVE-O forums and the answer has always been the same ever since:

ADAPT OR DIE

It's just a game. You don't like it, go play something else ... nobody's forcing you to play EVE.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Demogorgon

I didn't red the article as i'm not interested in it. But by reading the few reply, the only thing that comes to my mind is as long as EVE keep this BS mechenic that prevent a ships from getting away unless its equip with that "nerf to hell" module called warp stabilizer, its gonna suck big time & it will never be a good time investment. period.

Just get rid of this f**ck tard shi*t & pop would explode. But eh... I'm just the voice of reason you know. Who cares about that?  right?

Edit: I just can't wait to see the exodus when games like SC come out. It'll be fabulous. lol

Let me tell you about Micro Jump Drives.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Now "Boo" that!!

Ah yes, "EVE-killer" number 217. A game that won't be out for another two years, and that's if there are no problems in production, with a fundamentally different basis of play.

Yes, Star Citizen will be The One.

Seriously though, I hope SC is good. I even think there's a pretty decent chance it might be good. But asking it to kill an MMO with 10 years of continuous growth and development (it will be 12 years of active development by the time SC actually launches) is a pretty tall order.

What is far more likely to happen is that EVE's online numbers take a brief dip, then recover, as SC joins the plethora of games that EVE players play between ops in EVE.

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Now "Boo" that!!

It's a philosophical mindset difference.

Some people understand that the [undock] button really means "please kill me noa!!", and some don't.

Put another way - "when you undock your a target, because you undocked"

Anyway Rubicon ... there's some interesting changes especially with the warp mechanics change

and that's a sensible logical change, a frigate SHOULD accelerate and decelerate to/from warp faster than a battleship, the average battleship is almost a kilometre long and frigates in comparison are tiny .... so the change makes sense.

Mobile Deployables ... I'm a bit 'meh' about them ... probably not something that i'll be bothering with.

Rebalanced EAF's ... im hoping the Kitsune will be more fun to fly ... ECM rocks :D

The mobile deployables are a game changer, IMO.

And maybe the first step to even more changes...

• AzorAhai-ArchangelAzorAhai-Archangel Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Originally posted by haplo602

Now "Boo" that!!

Well, it's a legitimate question, but one that is asked about 20 times each week on EVE-O forums and the answer has always been the same ever since:

ADAPT OR DIE

It's just a game. You don't like it, go play something else ... nobody's forcing you to play EVE.

Annnddd... I'm on a GAME site (In a forum no less), talking about a....(drum roll please) GAME! I realize that the word "troll" is the new catch-phrase label of the masses for people who don't agree with the majority rule of a thread but that's my opinion and I stand behind what I said. I DON"T like the game, and I DON"T play it. That doesn't mean I can't come on a gaming site and make a comment about a game. I must have missed that memo. Yeah, good luck with that.

Like I wrote in my initial comment, I made a lot of real friends during my time playing EO.  And we talk/hangout all the time and the ONLY reason they still play EO is b/c it's the only REAL choice for space sim out there. But not for much longer.

Eve KILLER? I don't think so. But I do think (no, I know) that SC will pull away every player who thinks griefing is stupid and every player who finds percentages absolutely mortifying. "Adapt or Die". NO! NO! NO! How about I just don't give you my money anymore. Before hearing about SC about four months ago, I myself also contemplated going back just because (at present) there is nothing else out there. But not for much longer. I've been waiting 10 to 12 years for a proper space sim. You think two more years will phase me? Hahahahahaha... good luck with that one too.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

The problem with the new warp speeds etc. is that the "ships" are still just singular points in space, with no mass or inertia. I'm not sure but I think all weapon ranges are also calculated from this single point, so in effect a short range weapon mounted in the front of a long ship cannot fire any further ahead than one mounted at the back.

Collisions? What collisions :)

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

Now "Boo" that!!

To me a friendly game of poker is fun.  Chess is fun.  Mortal Kombat in the arcades was fun.

I don't play poker and accuse the winner of stealing my money at the end of the night - I know the rules of the game.

If I lose in chess I don't call the police to report an act of regicide - it's just a game and I knew that if I lost I'd lose my king.

While playing Mortal Kombat I never asked the other player to please stop killing my character - I knew the rules of the game.

I never had any false pretenses that I was playing anything except the games that I decided to play and I accepted those loses or victories as a normal part of the game; infact, I celebrated the adversarial spirit of those games without becoming personally hostile to my opponent.

Psychotic you say?

If I ever lose a ship in eve online I'll chalk it up to fair play and exercise good sportsmanship just as I did in all of the games above, but then, I know the rules of eve online and am able to celebrate eve online's adversarial spirit.

Edit:  I played privateer in ye olde days and unless the game has a mechanic that prevents corkscrew dogfighting then it'll be fun at first but become old fast just like all the other games eve online's turret system has shot down.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Hazelle

Edit:  I played privateer in ye olde days and unless the game has a mechanic that prevents corkscrew dogfighting then it'll be fun at first but become old fast just like all the other games eve online's turret system has shot down.

I'm curious what you mean by this?

If it's what I'm thinking of, there is a similar tactic in the 6DoF Newtonian game I play that shall go unnamed in this Post Body, however it is generally seen as a beginner tactic that is easily countered by intermediate or advanced players.  It's an easy fall-back because it tends to spoof the AI in small numbers, but is far too predictable for a human pilot.  Most players need only a few lessons in PvP to see how falling into any kind of predictable dodging pattern means certain death.

One of those classic "yellow belt" mistakes, if you will.

Nice game references / post, otherwise.  I agree with the thrust of your argument.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Originally posted by Hazelle

I'm curious what you mean by this?

If it's what I'm thinking of, there is a similar tactic in the 6DoF Newtonian game I play that shall go unnamed in this Post Body, however it is generally seen as a beginner tactic that is easily countered by intermediate or advanced players.  It's an easy fall-back because it tends to spoof the AI in small numbers, but is far too predictable for a human pilot.  Most players need only a few lessons in PvP to see how falling into any kind of predictable dodging pattern means certain death.

One of those classic "yellow belt" mistakes, if you will.

Nice game references / post, otherwise.  I agree with the thrust of your argument.

An intitial joust followed by chasing > to get your opponent in the x while they chase your >, the UI might be vary a little but it's the standard for the space sim genre.

I remember a flight simulator in the early 90s that involved players having to manage, engine stall, g-force, over heating guns, etc.  It required some thought to play and prevented >>>>>>X (pewpewpewpew) <<<<<(pewpewpewpew)  >>>><<<<>X (pewpew)  That game would of had enduring fun as a multiplayer, but SWG's JTLS got old fast.

Edit: I found the game it was called red baron and there was also a kickstarter for it to be remade which was cancelled yesterday...  I guess no one else found it as fun as I did image

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madottergames/red-baron/posts/646132

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

So...am I correct in thinking that nowhere will be safe from the gankotrons when this update goes live?

I mean, I know that's kind of the way it is now but without the optional low stress hangover activities in hi sec?