Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Where Wolf? There Wolf!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest "Creating Tamriel" article has shown up on the Elder Scrolls Online page. In this issue, the team discusses the creation of and lore behind the Werewolf as it will appear in game. 

One of the most important features of the werewolf is the transformation itself. The animation has to fully capture the uncanny transition from man to monster. We drew inspiration from scenes in films featuring werewolves and combined that with our own ideas about what makes an awesome metamorphosis. We also have to consider the animation in relation to gameplay, working to ensure that it feels as good as it looks when you’re playing.

We want you to be able to launch yourself into a frenzied killing spree and feel the uncontrollable strength granted to you by the transformation. As you can imagine, witnessing a werewolf reveal its true form is disturbing, and it’s certainly an event that will strike fear into those who happen to observe it.

Read more on the Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    That sounds pretty cool. Makes me want to look into a werewolf character.
  • DarkalloyDarkalloy Member UncommonPosts: 26

"There Castle."

Anywho, Now I have two more character idea's for this. Yay!!

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    I wonder how encounters will work. Will it be just a mob found in specific areas regardless of the time of day or even in regards to night time like the village in WoW. I'd like werewolves to be something that will unexpectedly attack you or a village you happen upon at night, not something static and marked on maps to where you can find one or a pack all the time.
  • kkarrabbasskkarrabbass Member Posts: 152

I was rather disappointed by how that Werewolf is going to look in a game.

May be it is not a priority number one, but it is still important to have those images of known before the game creatures to be if not necessarily accurate but at least adequately representing their features.

Originally (in older times) Werewolf didn’t have a tail. Tail on many modern drawings is because of mix-up old pictures of Werewolf with old pictures of men wearing a wolf-skin. And having those tails in some other games is not a valid excuse.

Werewolf is not a wolf, not an animal, it is a man-wolf, it is a monster.

Werewolf is supposed to be scary. But with head like it is shown on concept art pictures it looks like a dog on steroids.

Make his head twice as big, loose his tail (or some people might misinterpret its wagging), make rest of the body little bit more human (which might make him even scarier). And I might even start to believe then that you actually have something there.

It is just an opinion.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Darkalloy

"There Castle."

Anywho, Now I have two more character idea's for this. Yay!!

I cannot tell you how much I <3 you for catching my reference to "Young Frankenstein". :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SugaksSugaks Member Posts: 3
    Wow
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Oh boy, this could go wrong in so many ways...

Actually, I'm having difficulty imagining how this could go right in an MMO setting ?

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Really! 

"i didn't mean to call you a meatloaf jack"image

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

My question would be what about those who don't decide to become monsters?

Which makes no sense really in a situations of civilized society.  Werewolves and vampires are feared and hunted, not something to empower your character.  If you are one then your an outcast. 

So are we going to see armies not of your faction but of vampires and werewolves trying to control Cyrodil and be crowned emporer?  This should be PvE restricted and disabled for PvP, but doubtful that will happen.

This just seems like a cheesy tactic to pull in people who love the IP into the MMO.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    :)

• WhitestepWhitestep Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Give us Hybrid (vampire/werewolf)
  • shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    C'mere babies, mama needs a new fur coat.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    I am surprised they're not adding some kind of zombie form, you know so they can catch even more fans of pop culture for this cash grab.
  • XoeiXoei Member UncommonPosts: 1

EQOA did this well.  It was a pretty drawn out process to become a were but it had it's advantages and disadvantages.  You were given stat buffs when you were in a were form but you also became KoS to certain NPCs.  

Ultimately, if I am given a choice on whether I become a werewolf or vampire I am fine with it and it is nice to see that they are putting effort into the animations.  This tells me that they will be detailed oriented with the game.  I really dislike it when AAA mmos have amazing graphics but the animations are lackluster.

I also hope there will be major consequences in choosing to become a werewolf or vampire so players have to make a wise decision.  Would kind of suck if everyone was running around as a werewolf.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by kkarrabbass

I was rather disappointed by how that Werewolf is going to look in a game.

May be it is not a priority number one, but it is still important to have those images of known before the game creatures to be if not necessarily accurate but at least adequately representing their features.

Originally (in older times) Werewolf didn’t have a tail. Tail on many modern drawings is because of mix-up old pictures of Werewolf with old pictures of men wearing a wolf-skin. And having those tails in some other games is not a valid excuse.

Werewolf is not a wolf, not an animal, it is a man-wolf, it is a monster.

Werewolf is supposed to be scary. But with head like it is shown on concept art pictures it looks like a dog on steroids.

Make his head twice as big, loose his tail (or some people might misinterpret its wagging), make rest of the body little bit more human (which might make him even scarier). And I might even start to believe then that you actually have something there.

It is just an opinion.

Indeed, it's just an opinion.

I'd ask real werewolves for what they think of your opinions on what they should look like, but alas... they don't exist.

I, for one, approve of tails on werewolves, because otherwise, furry butt crack is what we'll be staring at, not cool.

• TobrukTobruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Originally posted by furbans

They stated that it starts out as an infection that you can remedy. So there is some sort of time frame you have to cure the infection before you become one.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Tobruk

They stated that it starts out as an infection that you can remedy. So there is some sort of time frame you have to cure the infection before you become one.

I don't think that is his concern.

His concern is that if it's just a "pro" or a way to empower your character then everyone will be wanting to or having to become one or another.

ESO will then turn into Underworld.

So the answer to his question would more likely be "the developers need to put serious pros and cons into this mechanic".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Sovrath

His concern is that if it's just a "pro" or a way to empower your character then everyone will be wanting to or having to become one or another.

So the answer to his question would more likely be "the developers need to put serious pros and cons into this mechanic".

I remember in Skyrim Vampires had some harsh de-buffs in day light. I did play a heavily moded version but I think that was a vanilla mechanic.

EDIT: I think there were levels of Vampirism too depending how many days you have been infected. You could be cured too.

Has to be the same mechanic for wolves I think.

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by Sovrath

During a podcast, a developer answered that question by saying that werewolves and vampires will indeed be powerful beings, but that there will be specific skills that work extremely well against them such as silver bolts. Some of these skills will be available to those who are part of the Fighter's Guild and they will act as a direct counter to monstrous-humanoids in order to contain their populations and maintain in-game balance.

• RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198

- And there is castle.

:D

Burst out in laughter when I saw topic of this article. :)

It's a pity it isn't open PvP.

Slowly watching the sun go down to vampire and werewolf guilds coming out to play.

Makes my Orc happy. :)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I wonder if werewolves will have their own /dance emotes, so we could observe xXxSephiroth98xXx's, Narooto's and HairyPotter's dance routine. "Strike fear" and "MMO" don't go hand in hand, unfortunately.
  • iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

I hunt; therefore, I am.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    I am surprised they're not adding some kind of zombie form, you know so they can catch even more fans of pop culture for this cash grab.

..well they have to keep something for the first expansion..

seriously, vampires and werewolves it's only cool when there is 1 or 2. When the whole population is werewolves it's gay as hell. 

• I wonder if you will be able to jump over building walls as werewolfs.