Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PS4 will not allow for external storage and will not support mp3 music and will not support streamin

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

As a person who plans to go all digital this gen and loves to listen to music from my console this is not good especially waiting 2 weeks before release to announce this. Also the streaming media is one of the my most used features so I would hate this news if I had a PS4 preorderd.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/ps4-does-not-support-external-hard-drives

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/30/mp3s-not-playable-on-ps4-no-music-visualizer-included/

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/30/5047270/ps4-will-not-support-media-servers-dlna-functionality

http://www.gamrreview.com/news/90657/all-ps4-games-have-a-mandatory-install/

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This isn't something that would effect me, but it does seem odd that there would be no playing of MP3s. Maybe they want to have their own streaming music service? It is Sony after all. They may not be keen on having MP3s out there at all.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by lizardbones

This isn't something that would effect me, but it does seem odd that there would be no playing of MP3s. Maybe they want to have their own streaming music service? It is Sony after all. They may not be keen on having MP3s out there at all.

If you subscribe to their music service then you can listen to music while you play games on PS4.

• sorattasoratta Member Posts: 39
    Ah, I'm not surprised. In that case, will that change your decision on whether or not you'll get a ps4?
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by VastoHorde

As a person who plans to go all digital this gen and loves to listen to music from my console this is not good especially waiting 2 weeks before release to announce this. Also the streaming media is one of the my most used features so I would hate this news if I had a PS4 preorderd.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/ps4-does-not-support-external-hard-drives

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/30/mp3s-not-playable-on-ps4-no-music-visualizer-included/

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/30/5047270/ps4-will-not-support-media-servers-dlna-functionality

Being unable to have a external hard drive isn't really a big deal IMHO. Being unable to change the internal drive would be.

Not letting people listen to music thought... That's really a low blow. But it doesn't really surprise me, they always find new way to cut on stuff and make you pay to use those "non included" features/content (*cough* CoD map packs *cough*). That's why PC will always be superior to consoles.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

nobody is buying a ps4 to listen to music to,i will never support x box again.

after E3 they showed their real colours they are not for gamers.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

There is no tangible reason to pick one over the other is the real answer here. They each have their own good and bad and the one you pick is nothing but a personal choice. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a complete fool.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409
    I doubt this will be finalized. That's like trying to sell a new car with no wheels. It's practically PC hardware this time around and it has an OS which means there's no reason why it can't have MP3 capability or an external storage. And besides. Flaws are meant to be hacked in a worst case scenario. But like I said. Not happening.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think this is probably a result of console makers realising that they are not, and probably never will, be able compete on the same grounds as tablets, ipads, and PDA phones.

Hence they stop trying and trying to reidentify their own niche (which is slowly being invaded by those same handheld devices).

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Raquis

nobody is buying a ps4 to listen to music to,i will never support x box again.

after E3 they showed their real colours they are not for gamers.

Then nobody is upset by this right? Oh wait, they are. If you think Sony cares about gamers any more than Microsoft then you're delusional, they sale overpriced electronics and shaft customers with their proprietary formats such as the Vita memory cards.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

This threads subject is pathetic, im mainly a PC gamer but anyone with common sense can see the flaws of the Xbox One are worse than the flaws of the PS4 and the PS4 has less flaws too.  I dont think I know anyone that owns a console that uses it to listen to music.  When it comes to consoles most people are concerned about gaming related issues which the Xbox One has more of such as the 720p thing and only be able to up-scale to 1080p instead of having native support.  This thread is just a pathetic attempt to say something negative about PS4 from a desperate xbox fan who cant take all the heat the Xbox One has been getting since its announcement.

When I saw battlefield 4s graphics comparisons, PS4 version had close PCs max graphics but the Xbox One was just terrible looking, no anti-aliasing or HBAO. http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Playstation,  It does everything...

Except things we can charge extra for :)

Consoles are dying, and it's all the Big 3's fault.  Funny thing is that Nintendo will probably sell more than either of them again.  All gamers talk about is PS and Xbox, but Wii is better.  I've had all 3 of the current gen, and if you took out Assassin's Creed games and Gran Turismo 5 on PS3, I played my Wii (the original old one) more than both my PS3 and Xbox 360 combined lol.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Consoles are dying, and it's all the Big 3's fault. 

Well to be fair console do cost more to develop compare to PC hardwares or handheld devices and their functionality (hence revenue stream) are less.

Handheld devices can just basically uses the same base OS and just do minor patches to it or upgrade the hardware, release it as new version and earn more money.

Consoles however they have to to release an entirely new thing everytime to want to go from 1 complete generation to the next (for example from 32 bit to 64), and people only buy them to play games, not check facebook or call friends, which means occasional gamers are less willing to waste money on it.

If console dies it is more because of the nature of what it is more than anything I think.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

This threads subject is pathetic, im mainly a PC gamer but anyone with common sense can see the flaws of the Xbox One are worse than the flaws of the PS4 and the PS4 has less flaws too.  I dont think I know anyone that owns a console that uses it to listen to music.  When it comes to consoles most people are concerned about gaming related issues which the Xbox One has more of such as the 720p thing and only be able to up-scale to 1080p instead of having native support.  This thread is just a pathetic attempt to say something negative about PS4 from a desperate xbox fan who cant take all the heat the Xbox One has been getting since its announcement.

When I saw battlefield 4s graphics comparisons, PS4 version had close PCs max graphics but the Xbox One was just terrible looking, no anti-aliasing or HBAO. http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/28/battlefield-4-xbox-oneps4-graphics-comparison

Another person that's simply trying too hard. The only thing pathetic is you and it shows by posting a Battlefiled 4 link in a thread that has has nonthing to do with Battlefield 4. Nobody cares about Battlefield 4 now that they have seen and saw the Xbox Version looks just as good or even better. http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/10/29/battlefield-4-on-xbox-one-vs-ps4-no-discernible-difference/

This is huge news to people that used these features and who were looking forward to using them on their new console in 2 weeks that they already PAID for. All of these features were on PS3. Go around and check other forums and see that some people are really let down by this news before posting. Just because something does not affect you does not mean its not important.Why would any Xbox fan be desperate when they know they are getting the best system and they are flying off shelves like they always have? I guess sites like IGN, Dual Shockers and Gamespot who also posted this same news are also pathetic and desperate Xbox fans? Common sense goes a long way.image

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215

Clearly, this is a money grab for Sony's "Music Unlimited" and "Video Unlimited" pay services.  The PS3 had support to play both mp3's and a fairly wide format of video files over a network share, or from a DNLA server.  It doesn't take much development time or effort to add those features.  However, NOT having them will push some people into subscribing to the pay services.

If those services don't do well enough, and if PS4 sales slump, they might well add those features in a future content patch, must like DVD and blu-ray playback are being added in their day 1 patch.

Originally posted by quixadhal

Clearly, this is a money grab for Sony's "Music Unlimited" and "Video Unlimited" pay services.  The PS3 had support to play both mp3's and a fairly wide format of video files over a network share, or from a DNLA server.  It doesn't take much development time or effort to add those features.  However, NOT having them will push some people into subscribing to the pay services.

If those services don't do well enough, and if PS4 sales slump, they might well add those features in a future content patch, must like DVD and blu-ray playback are being added in their day 1 patch.

That's exactly what it is and anybody should be able to see this. I don't like the idea of patching things like this in either.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244
    Who the Hell cares sick of seeing threads about these toys on this site. In what way shape or form does your thread have anything to do with MMORPG's

Originally posted by Swids2010
    Who the Hell cares sick of seeing threads about these toys on this site. In what way shape or form does your thread have anything to do with MMORPG's

Did you not see that this is the General Gaming Section? If you looking for MMO news then you are on the wrong forum.

• quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Swids2010

In case you've been living in a cave for the last 10 years, there are actually several MMO's that run on consoles, and since MOST people don't want to have 20 different devices connected to their TV's, having  a console NOT support commonly used features has an impact on how well any MMO's that run on that console will do.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Ummm I think I will still be using my ps4 as I used my ps3...mostly to play games only. I do use my ps3 to watch blue rays, but  for music....my pc is a great juke box. XD
  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

There is a mass confusion going on with the industry right now.  Devs dont know where to jump ship or what ship to board.  

Steam is throwing a monkey wrench in with this steam box and controller.  

Consoles dont know whether to go digital or focus on blue ray discs.  Windows 8 sucks for gaming.  

Apple is dominating the mobile market. 

Ps4 cant play mp3?  Really?  Who cares.  I preordered one,  if it works the same as my Ps3 but WAY faster and no crazy long updates or loading times..  The console market will thrive again.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Google is dominating the mobile market, Apple are thriving though, but in 2nd place.
  • doorb7doorb7 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Ender4

There is no tangible reason to pick one over the other is the real answer here. They each have their own good and bad and the one you pick is nothing but a personal choice. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a complete fool.

This is completely wrong as whilst there are subjective reasons as to which console somebody would choose, i.e. which exclusives they prefer, there are also objective reasons why one is better than the other, which has nothing to do with personal choice. It has been known for a while now that the ps4 is the more powerful console, and if your a console gamer looking to play multi platform games then ps4 is obviously the better choice from an objective point of view and is already proving (cod, bf4) to have the superior versions. This does not mean that there will not be people who still choose Xbox one over ps4 for subjective reasons such as where their friends are etc.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

So?

There's like 290384398 things that play mp3's now a days, and I have a PC, laptop, droid, and tablet..

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Well your Sony fanboism is showing too much here.  The fact of the matter is, is that Sony is releasing the bad details about the PS4 at the last minute fully knowing that most people already paid off their pre-orders for the PS4. I think that is rather sneaky and devious of them. People selling their soul for just $100 less is really telling about next generation players.

With Microsoft you knew right from the start what their intentions were with the Xbox One. Yes they changed features but those feature changes were for the better unlike Sony is doing. In all honesty here this whole console war is stupid because it is like voting for the lesser of 2 evils just like a Presidential debate. You can't win either way. Oh yeah and that graphics comparison you linked, you can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p between the 2  consoles.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Not really a big deal to me since I never played MP3s or streamed from my PC on the ps3 I have owned for 5 years. But I can see where if you did use those functions being a little miffed.