Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If your new or interested in DFUW, look here!

Don't bother looking for honest answers at the official forums. Because all you'll get is people telling you the game is great, loads of fun, big population etc, when that is very far from the truth. Look here or the steam forums for input from current players on both sides of the spectrum.

I was summarily executed for this post, in a thread where a potential player asked for the good and bad so they can make an informed decision to drop the $40 to try it, on the official forums:

Originally posted by KingHussien

Originally posted by Einkil
We have noticed that this conversation has run its course and that is has now become the ground for flaming and trolling.

Hence that is why i will be closing this thread to prevent it from being further flammed and derailed.

Regards,Einkil

Who's flaming and trolling? All I see are people posting their opinions and how they experience the game. Just because the opinions are negative of both DFUW and AV doesn't mean its trolling and need to be closed.

A discussion begins and ends when the posters decide it, not when moderators decide they dont like what theyre seeing. You can kill off the thread, but you can't kill off te discussion. Locking/deleting threads here has an even worse affect than if you just would have left it alone: posters seek out other venues to voice their frustration and end up showing DF/AV in a negative light to people who probably would of never of heard of it.

And you probably dont know that its extremely difficult to turn around a gamer that has a negative viewpoint of DF cause he heard this or that sucks on his pokemon offtopic forum, than a fresh gamer that never heard od DF.

In essence, it has been the mods/gms/devs that have created this supposedly toxic environment that they are now trying to get rid of using all the same methods they used to create it.

That is pure [and unadulterated] insanity.

Personally I will not play anything that comes from AV again. I've been following Darkfall since 2005 and they have always done things that go against the community and what they want, but this just takes the cake. They have culled every post and thread from their forums that has any type of bad talk against AV/DF. And its in my humble opinion that if a company will not let people have their say, whether good or bad but at leasts its honest, then that is not a company worth supporting.

Potential players: stay away until AV decides they want to be honest and upfront with their playerbase rather than acting like Germany circa 1940.

Have a good one!

Comments

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    AV is a garbage company, but the Nazi comparison of the OP makes any post lose all credibility.  All of it. 
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Oh my. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with dfuw. AV has yet to come to my house and kick my dog (as many act like they have). If you like freedom and a large seamless open world with consequences and true risk and rewark this the game for you. I didn't play df1 and don't care about locked threads on forums. None of this will affect a new player to dfuw.
  • kinghussienkinghussien Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Oh my. I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with dfuw. AV has yet to come to my house and kick my dog (as many act like they have). If you like freedom and a large seamless open world with consequences and true risk and rewark this the game for you. I didn't play df1 and don't care about locked threads on forums. None of this will affect a new player to dfuw.

Nobodies kicked anybodies dog, but they have wasted a lot of players time with lies and vague announcements. And time is the most valuable asset available to people. It simply cannot be replaced like money can. To some of us, how a company acts and treats its playerbase is important, to others its not. Nothing wrong with that. 

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

No they haven't done that. All the negitive posts on the forums are still there. In fact, they are some on the front page right now that are still open. What they have deleted are posts that are flame bait, trollish, and in general are of bad taste. They have also deleted posts that talk about members in the MVP forum (until its up and ready you aren't supposed to talk about it apparently), threads accusing people of hacking/cheating, how to hack or cheat, and how to play the Asian version of the game. 

No one on the official boards will tell you that everything is fine. That right there is just a flat out lie. People will sugar coat the truth, but everyone agrees the game is in general need of polish and content updates. Most will tell you the game is fun. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462
    Originally posted by xpiher

No they haven't done that. All the negitive posts on the forums are still there. In fact, they are some on the front page right now that are still open. What they have deleted are posts that are flame bait, trollish, and in general are of bad taste. They have also deleted posts that talk about members in the MVP forum (until its up and ready you aren't supposed to talk about it apparently), threads accusing people of hacking/cheating, how to hack or cheat, and how to play the Asian version of the game. 

No one on the official boards will tell you that everything is fine. That right there is just a flat out lie. People will sugar coat the truth, but everyone agrees the game is in general need of polish and content updates. Most will tell you the game is fun. 

They have deleted a lot legitimate complaints that were expressed in a productive fashion (good solid problems with the game, no cursing, good grammar, etc.).

You can't even post about in game bugs without them deleting the threads and there is NO bug reporting forum to be able to discuss them.  They will delete the thread and say to open a ticket.  Guess what?  I don't work for you AV just let me post about it on a section of the forum and ones that everyone agree is a problem sticky in that section and allow people to discuss the issue.

This is one of the  many reasons I am not playing atm.  More so they haven't patched in ages, there appears to be some favoritism going on, the game is not balanced by any means, there is no reason to leave a city except to try and find pvp (which is getting harder to do), the siege performance is terrible and there is a ping issue forcing people to pay a third party to fix another $10/mo,  and all of those (probably others I am not mentioning) are greatly reducing the population.

They are keeping the forums pretty sugar coated when compared to the players overall feelings Xipher.  I have seen many good posts just disappear.  You are either not reading them (which I know you are), foolishing blind, or lying here.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by kinghussien

Don't bother looking for honest answers at the official forums. Because all you'll get is people telling you the game is great, loads of fun, big population etc, when that is very far from the truth.

What an absolute joke. That game is SO MUCH BETTER than the community makes it out to be. People complain about AV's communication or other trivial things that don't matter when it comes to how you're going to experience the game. The official forums are full of people who had their feelings hurt by a videogame company and can't judge the game based on what it actually is.

Simply put, there are no other games offering anything close to what Darkfall is. And yet you guys just sh*t all over it for some reason.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462
    Originally posted by Holophonist

Don't bother looking for honest answers at the official forums. Because all you'll get is people telling you the game is great, loads of fun, big population etc, when that is very far from the truth.

What an absolute joke. That game is SO MUCH BETTER than the community makes it out to be. People complain about AV's communication or other trivial things that don't matter when it comes to how you're going to experience the game. The official forums are full of people who had their feelings hurt by a videogame company and can't judge the game based on what it actually is.

Simply put, there are no other games offering anything close to what Darkfall is. And yet you guys just sh*t all over it for some reason.

It has a ton of potential which is at the moment being wasted.

If it was enjoyable (as is) the population wouldn't be where it is. 

Yes, there is nothing else like it and it can be a blast.  But right now they need to patch it frequently and fix the many problems it has fast and roll out new content fast.

If it doesn't its nothing but lost potential.  Everyone over there is pissed about THAT.  The potential is getting thrown away and they want to play what it should be not what it is atm.

You don't have to believe me.  Try it and in a few months you will see.  You will love with it at first and if AV starts patching like they did the first three months  even more productively (key) that may not change.  Otherwise, you will join the community over there wanting it be what it should be not what it is.

Originally posted by stux

Yes, there is nothing else like it and it can be a blast.  But right now they need to patch it frequently and fix the many problems it has fast and roll out new content fast.

If it doesn't its nothing but lost potential.  Everyone over there is pissed about THAT.  The potential is getting thrown away and they want to play what it should be not what it is atm.

You don't have to believe me.  Try it and in a few months you will see.  You will love with it at first and if AV starts patching like they did the first three months  even more productively (key) that may not change.  Otherwise, you will join the community over there wanting it be what it should be not what it is.

Having one of the most negative and toxic communities can also be a big factor when it comes to how many people play it.

But wasted potential =/= the things that people say about it. You have to take the good with the bad. You can't complain about AV's terrible communication (which it is, but not as bad as it used to be) while not praising them for being the only guys making a game like this. That's not fair.

My personal problem with the game is it's not enough of a sandbox. It's basically just all pvp all the time. I love the pvp and the city sieging, but I wish there were more sandbox elements. Professions, player vendors, better player housing etc.

Like I said above, what is trivial to you is not trivial to the next person. I made this thread to give fair warning to potential players. I'm sure those players are smart enough to make their own decision taking into account all our opinions.

A drunken dev did a stream with a couple long term players saying they only had 20k subs and needed 35k (some believe he meant 2k and 3.5k respectively because the server can only hold 10000 players) to break even. They owe people all around town and developers are not getting paid. An important thing to take note is that it was said that the coders/designers are inexperienced but they are awesome and the guy who wrote the network code is a genius...except that if that was true then he wouldn't be working for AV, he would be working for Blizzard or a real professional game company.

The game is a shell of an MMO. Take away the 1 thing that is unique to: full loot and theres not much left. Seiging is unplayable because of low frame rates. 

They have been at this for 12 years and its the same thing over and over again. They can't keep using the 'indie' excuse. Theres a time they need to put the big boy panties on and face their playerbase like adults willing to listen, not children trying to bury their heads in the sand. 

At the end of the day, everything's on AV's head. From cultivating and nourishing their community, promotion and marketing, to how they police the gameworld itself is completely whack. Right now their losing money and in panic mode. Much like a country is losing a war, instead of being upfront with their people, leaders will end up spinning the truth to make it seem like their winning. The only difference between how a fascist country might act and AV is that AV doesn't say anything...at all.

Like I said above, what is trivial to you is not trivial to the next person. I made this thread to give fair warning to potential players. I'm sure those players are smart enough to make their own decision taking into account all our opinions.

A drunken dev did a stream with a couple long term players saying they only had 20k subs and needed 35k (some believe he meant 2k and 3.5k respectively because the server can only hold 10000 players) to break even. They owe people all around town and developers are not getting paid. An important thing to take note is that it was said that the coders/designers are inexperienced but they are awesome and the guy who wrote the network code is a genius...except that if that was true then he wouldn't be working for AV, he would be working for Blizzard or a real professional game company.

The game is a shell of an MMO. Take away the 1 thing that is unique to: full loot and theres not much left. Seiging is unplayable because of low frame rates. 

They have been at this for 12 years and its the same thing over and over again. They can't keep using the 'indie' excuse. Theres a time they need to put the big boy panties on and face their playerbase like adults willing to listen, not children trying to bury their heads in the sand. 

At the end of the day, everything's on AV's head. From cultivating and nourishing their community, promotion and marketing, to how they police the gameworld itself is completely whack. Right now their losing money and in panic mode. Much like a country is losing a war, instead of being upfront with their people, leaders will end up spinning the truth to make it seem like their winning. The only difference between how a fascist country might act and AV is that AV doesn't say anything...at all.

Take a step back and look at how much of this post is related to the game itself: almost none. The only thing you touched on was sieging, saying they were unplayable. They're not. I have videos of myself enjoying many sieges. 

You guys are giving AV way too much shit about the "potential" of the game. I agree that the game could be WAY better than what it is, but that has nothing to do with how you should view the game that exists. There are a lot of things about the game that you will quite plainly not find in any other MMO currently. There's something to say for that.

But wasted potential =/= the things that people say about it. You have to take the good with the bad. You can't complain about AV's terrible communication (which it is, but not as bad as it used to be) while not praising them for being the only guys making a game like this. That's not fair.

Actually whats not fair, is saying their the only ones making a game like this, when in fact there are others:

Wurm Online - Open World PvP, Full Loot

Mortal Online - Open World PvP, Full Loot, Seiging

Ultima Online - Open World PvP, Full Loot

Also Embers of Caerus

Take a step back and look at how much of this post is related to the game itself: almost none. The only thing you touched on was sieging, saying they were unplayable. They're not. I have videos of myself enjoying many sieges. 

You guys are giving AV way too much shit about the "potential" of the game. I agree that the game could be WAY better than what it is, but that has nothing to do with how you should view the game that exists. There are a lot of things about the game that you will quite plainly not find in any other MMO currently. There's something to say for that.

Could you list these things that the game has that no other game has?

I didn't say much about DFUW because its absolute garbage. Have you even logged into DFUW and seen the interface!?

Actually whats not fair, is saying their the only ones making a game like this, when in fact there are others:

Also Embers of Caerus

UO no longer exists in that fashion and Embers of Caerus isn't even close to being released. I can't speak of Wurm Online but you're right technically Mortal Online is a similar game, just really poorly done. So they're ONE OF the very few people making a game like this. But interestingly enough the problems that people have about darkfall are even more of a problem in MO.

I didn't say much about DFUW because its absolute garbage. Have you even logged into DFUW and seen the interface!?

LOL the interface. Yeah that's really what I care about when I'm playing a game. After the first day you get used to the UI. The UI shouldn't deter anybody from playing aside from really casual players who just refuse to play anything that doesn't have AAA polish.

1 big non-instanced world

Non-instanced city building

Sieging

Naval combat

an actual free aim system

I'm sure there are a very small handful of games that technically have some of these features, but they're not going to be on the same scale and they're not going to have all of them. 

• MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289
    I see they are purging almost all negativity and criticism from the official forums now. I saw 4 people get banned in a 10 minute span for troll posts like 'I can't understand why they won't update us on what's going on" and "I'm really disappointed with the lack of content in the game."  I was reading a post about how to fix the broken player housing, and it was deleted before I could make it to the end of the first page.

Also Embers of Caerus

Dont even compare these games. None of them play like DFO does. None of them make PvP the focus point, its an after thought in every single one of them. None of them have the level of combat that DFO does. Mortal online's combat system is a joke, Wurm's basically doesn't exist, and Ultima's success is more to do with the time it was released than the systems it had (EQ killed it FFS and it added less hardcore rule sets added later)

As for MO, the developers talk more and the game has a few more sandbox options which are highly dimished by the fact that you are required to min-max if you want to PvP well at all, player culling, and more bugs than DFO/UW have ever had. I wish DFO/UW had the level of sandbox features MO does  because then the game would be the best game made in 10 years. It doesn't and its a shame, but if you care about PvP, large scale battle, FPS/active combat, more than "fluff" then UW is the best you are going to have for a very very long time. 

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Not much discussion about how the game's population is suffering. It is my understanding that this is a major problem for this game.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Not much discussion about how the game's population is suffering. It is my understanding that this is a major problem for this game.

Depends on which server you are on. EU population is horrible, NA population is meh, has enough to still be fun. Unless everyone joins the asia launch

Games:
    Past games:
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I heard 4 or 5 of the largest alliances fought last night and only about 60 people were involved. Even global chat is slow these days. Our friends at AV answered the players' frustration by banning more forum accounts and deleting more posts. I guess AV wants to just sweep the problems under a rug and hope they go away.

How's your feud with AgentOranj going Xpiher? Are you finding the new and improved moderation to be fair?

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I played the game a few days on a friends account. The population is so low. That's a killer for me. If there's hardly anyone playing an mmo, there's no reason for me to bother with it, and I can usually get over graphics and/or  a terrible UI, but this game is pitiful. Needless to say, I didn't and wouldn't buy it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    I played the game a few days on a friends account. The population is so low. That's a killer for me. If there's hardly anyone playing an mmo, there's no reason for me to bother with it, and I can usually get over graphics and/or  a terrible UI, but this game is pitiful. Needless to say, I didn't and wouldn't buy it.

Many of us bought it hoping AV had learned their lesson in DFO. We thought they would interact with the community more and patch in new stuff frequently. They even claimed to have content ready to patch in rapidly. That didn't happen, and people grew tired of broken promises. Many of them were more loyal than AV deserved. Eventually they started giving up hope and left the game. Now the population is critically low, and that's driving even more players away. I guess you could call it dominoes falling or a failure cascade.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I played DF1 and enjoyed it, but getting ganked all the time got on my nerves after awhile. I still say make a server that has pve and opt-in PVP for sieges and such like SWG, and I would come back to this game in a heartbeat. Not all of us like hardcore sandbox type games..I have enough stress in my life as it is :P
  • Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527

Last November - 1 whole year ago they stated was it 28 or so dungeons were completed and ready to go.  And now 1 year later there are what - 3 or is it 4 or 5?  That is just one example of many with the problems this game suffers.  Again the game had tons of potential and simply was poor execution.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by MrBoots
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen

Many of us bought it hoping AV had learned their lesson in DFO. We thought they would interact with the community more and patch in new stuff frequently. They even claimed to have content ready to patch in rapidly. That didn't happen, and people grew tired of broken promises. Many of them were more loyal than AV deserved. Eventually they started giving up hope and left the game. Now the population is critically low, and that's driving even more players away. I guess you could call it dominoes falling or a failure cascade.

This is completely spot on!  Great summary.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Darkfall is an excellent game and perfectly playable.  I've had more fun in Darkfall than in any other of the MMO's that I've played...combined.  The main problem was AV releasing this new version of Darkfall unfinished and then taking so long to put in the remainder of promised things.  Some of these are very basic things like city tower cannons.  You only get one chance to make a first impression, and for AV they had two (DF1, UW).

AV has been on a long road and the vision from when they started has changed and evolved to where we are now.  So the other problem that I see is that the current and future potential buyers don't know what that vision now is?  Is Darkfall going to be fleshed out with more sandbox tools?  Is it's focus more inline with arena pvp?

Lastly, Darkfall could release a jesus patch on steroids tomorrow and it wouldn't matter.  The population would not swell/surge.  For that to happen you would need a very concerted effort of marketing this game.  The community would also have to bring in family and friends.  A viral campaign would need to happen...and I just don't see that happening.  I think AV missed the boat, but I hope I'm wrong.