Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Charity

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In his latest column, industry veteran Matt Miller takes a look at the notion of charitable action and giving as it relates to gamers and gaming. See what he has to say and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I’ve been thinking about this because on November 2nd, I will be participating in Extra-Life, which is a 25 hour gaming marathon in support of the Children’s Miracle Network of hospitals. Gamers, celebrities, and professionals all across the world will be donating their time and pulling off a Jack Bauer-like effort of staying awake playing all sorts of games and asking friends, families, and followers to donate to their cause. One of the great things about the CMN is that we get to pick specifically which hospital in the network receives our donations. When I saw that my wife’s alumni, UC Davis had their children’s hospital on the list, I knew right away who should receive the money my team raises.

Read more of Matt Miller's Charity.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I give away my in game items all the time. I love it. I have been given items myself and it's amazing how it can make your day. I have gave away hundreds of thousands of gold, stock pikes of crafting materials. When I played wow I gave away 6 mechano hogs. I gave them to people that I could tell really wanted them and I knew they just didn't have what it took to aquire one back in the day. The response was priceless. Sometimes when I give things away I will advertise it and put together a group interview to which all I want to know is why should I give you x amount of gold or x amount of items. As the saying goes one mans trash is another's treasure. I will say it's amazing how many people when asked to let me know why I should give them this or that over any one else in the group just give up without even saying "just because"or "because I need it" instead they just gave up and left.
  • MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397
    I been an extra life member for three years, it's a great charity. Lot's of fun and rewarding.
  • ReverielleReverielle Member UncommonPosts: 133

I hardly ever give gold away to other players in-game, basically because there's a hugely skewed view over the importance of it in MMOs by most of the player base.  I'm all for trying to 'teach someone to fish rather than just giving them one fish' instead of perpetuating the long-held myth about money and MMOs.

Being a HC rper my character will often craft many items for friends and strangers that are nice, but they have to be deserving of it in some way. I've had people harass me and my character asking for more 'hand-outs' after I've been helpful, so I'm more guarded, and often will give time as well, rather than just 'things'. 

• did you get your feelings hurt?
  • kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I give people things all the time, even when I didn't make much money I still gave. Whether it be services rendered or money sent, I have given far less than I want to.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ive often thought that mmo communities at their best often reflect this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    p.s. i never give money. always items though, happy to craft things and even give loot away if its needed.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse