Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final blow to Xbox One? COD: Ghosts - 720p @ Xbox One, 1080p @ PS4

wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

It's saddening, really. There's no marketing spin good enough to undo this damage IMHO

http://kotaku.com/activision-confirms-call-of-duty-ghosts-at-lower-resol-1455181795

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    if you want to buy a console for graphics why not just buy a gaming computer?
  • wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by muffins89
    if you want to buy a console for graphics why not just buy a gaming computer?

I'm not a console player at all, bought an XBOX360 just to play Red Dead Redemption (and it was worth it).

But there's a whole lot (millions) dedicated console players who like their console games and their joypads and their relaxed couch gaming. I understand them completely. They are also much more stable market for game developers.

Originally posted by bestever

Not really. Its only call of duty after all and it could be as simple as getting finished drivers from Microsoft. 

Sorry, but not the only one, there's a dedicated thread here to Battlefield 4 lower-res Xbone fiasco already, and those two games are huge. We can only expect more of this.

Anything can happen in the long run, but I bet PS4 start will be way better in sales.

• black_ifritblack_ifrit Member Posts: 45

It says right in the post on kotaku that the xbox one will bump it up to 1080p. Please read the post before you comment on it.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by black_ifrit

It says right in the post on kotaku that the xbox one will bump it up to 1080p. Please read the post before you comment on it.

Up-scaling it and being native arent the same picture quality.  Like upscaling a dvd is still not as good as a blu-ray

"Hey, been on the road last couple weeks so haven't had a chance to update, but wanted to confirm that for Xbox One we're 1080p upscaled from 720p. And, we're native 1080p on PS4."

You're not able to read, or comprehend what was said? UPSCALED is the word. Google it

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It matters only as a marketing point. A few people may notice it in side-by-side comparisons on HD TVs at Best Buy, but most people are gonna buy whatever their friends have; because the online gaming is almost never cross-system compatible (intentionally, based on Microsoft's XBL licensing limitations)

At home - no one cares. No one goes out and buys games based on 720 vs 1080; if they did, we would have had a new generation of consoles out 3 years ago.

Xbone vs PS4 isn't a battle of games, it's a battle for the couch. If Microsoft can really get in bed with the cable companies and provide TV content through XBL - they win, regardless of 720 vs 1080.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I guess I'll just have to wait and see this because I've never heard of upscaling a video game.

It's been done before, several game engines have the capability, and you see a lot of downscaling done as a form of Anti-aliasing -- and if a game engine can downscale, it can also upscale. You don't see a lot of upscaling because it looks like shit.

FFXI is one off the top of my head. I think WoW used to be able to do this as well, but I can't remember.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

You all try too hard.

March 22 a new era in FPS begins on Xbox One 

Battlefield 4 on both PS4 and Xbox One
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

It matters only as a marketing point. A few people may notice it in side-by-side comparisons on HD TVs at Best Buy, but most people are gonna buy whatever their friends have; because the online gaming is almost never cross-system compatible (intentionally, based on Microsoft's XBL licensing limitations)

At home - no one cares. No one goes out and buys games based on 720 vs 1080; if they did, we would have had a new generation of consoles out 3 years ago.

Xbone vs PS4 isn't a battle of games, it's a battle for the couch. If Microsoft can really get in bed with the cable companies and provide TV content through XBL - they win, regardless of 720 vs 1080.

I can agree with most of this.

Marketing point is pretty huge though. I don't agree that TV content is that important - at least not in non-US countries. Console gamers in Europe hardly ever use consoles for anything else but gaming.

Also, as we have features missing in Battlefield 4 on Xbox One. It really doesn't sound good at all. It's not the end of the world for Microsoft, but it will surely make a big dent in sales.

What features are missing? From what I have read only Xbox One version will have voice recognition and head tracking.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    ouch, this really hurts them being that CoD and battle field are both something big for players. I personally dont see any good reason to buy a xbox base on there first commitment then changed everything because they found they couldn't bully their consumers.

Originally posted by VastoHorde
    What features are missing? From what I have read only Xbox One version will have voice recognition and head tracking.

From a very active thread right here in "General Gaming":

PS4 has anti-aliasing, missing on Xbox One
    PS4 has HBAO ambient occlusion, missing on Xbox One
    PS4 has motion blur in multiplayer, missing on Xbox One
    PS4 runs at a higher framerate in spite of all of the above advantages

Personal opinion:

Anti-aliasing is pretty big. I game on a 40" TV and 1080p, without anti aliasing some games really annoy me with the jaggedness.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    PS4 has better hardware and is cheaper. Only the Xbox fanboys would be silly enough to get the Xbox One.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Originally posted by wizyy

I was thinking of  features like modes or maps. The videos are out for anybody that wants to see what the games looks like. I posted it right up there so feel free to watch and see what features are missing. 

I was thinking of  features like modes or maps. The videos are out for anybody that wants to see what the games looks like. I posted it right up there so feel free to watch and see what features are missing. 

Yeah they look the same except xbox one has better lighting from what I can see.

Exactly, they look the same. I know the PS4 is a more powerful system but damn the Xbox One sure makes it look like it just does not matter.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

You all try too hard.

March 22 a new era in FPS begins on Xbox One 

And PC!

Well, not so much a 'new era' on PC, but it's still going to be a kick-ass game.

I was about to point out that Titanfall not being available on PS4 is a huge blow to that system, regardless of the graphics for a game or two being slightly sharper.

Eye candy is all well and good, but contrary to popular belief (on this site anyway) most console gamers care about gameplay over graphics, since they're painfully aware of the limitations of console hardware. And Titanfall looks to have gameplay out the wazoo.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I still wish I could buy an xbox one without a Kinect for $400, but if I have to pay the extra $100 for the exclusive games and the online experience I like on xbox i'm willing to do it.  If you want to argue graphics, all of the cross platform games are going to look very similar and if you are worried that much about cutting edge graphics, you shouldn't be buying either of these consoles considering you can buy much better in the pc market.  As long as you don't see a performance issue like noticeable frame rate or lag issues from these consoles, I don't see how the slight variables between the two are going to make any difference.  Get the one that has the exclusive games you like.

Not all who wander are lost...

Originally posted by Dalanon
    I still wish I could buy an xbox one without a Kinect for $400, but if I have to pay the extra $100 for the exclusive games and the online experience I like on xbox i'm willing to do it.  If you want to argue graphics, all of the cross platform games are going to look very similar and if you are worried that much about cutting edge graphics, you shouldn't be buying either of these consoles considering you can buy much better in the pc market.  As long as you don't see a performance issue like noticeable frame rate or lag issues from these consoles, I don't see how the slight variables between the two are going to make any difference.  Get the one that has the exclusive games you like.

The Kinect is whats going to make the Xbox experience seamless. You wont have to stop and use the controller to close and open up things. I do not care at all about motion control gaming but a seamless experience is huge to me. The day games no longer have any loading is the day I am waiting for.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

It partly comes  down to what you want as a consumer, if you want a particular game that is only provided from one platform then you would end up buying that product. I for one look at it from a customer that already has a well built platform ( my PC) and is  in the market for a second ( PS4 or XboX). I will be buying the PS4 because I am looking at over all possible performance and cost.

Each his own and if you can get both, both would have their individual benefits.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

it also says (a statement quoted from Mark Rubin himself) that xbox one will be upscaled to 1080p from 720p while PS4 will run it natively at 1080p. Big difference there.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

There wont be a "final blow" what people dont seem to understand is this....The ps4 was always gonna have better graphics just as the ps3 had better graphics than the 360, yet the 360 has been continuously hailed as the better console.

Bottom line, graphics wont effect anything, people who are switching from 360 to ps4 instead of Xbox One will probably be disapointed, controller isnt as good, and ps4 cant do much besides game and the things the ps3 could do so like someone else said on this forum just buy a gaming computer if you care about graphics.

Mystery Bounty

• UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174

It's saddening, really. There's no marketing spin good enough to undo this damage IMHO

http://kotaku.com/activision-confirms-call-of-duty-ghosts-at-lower-resol-1455181795

It brings me to tears more and more that Killer Instinct has to be an Xbox exclusive.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I'm not sure what the big deal is...consoles haven't been relevant graphically in almost a decade.

<3