Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Moddable UI? Yea or Nay?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest EverQuest Next round table issue for players to express an opinion about is whether or not the game should have a moddable user interface. The team has a poll set up to assess the community's opinion.

What are your thoughts on a mod-able UI?

• I want to find the UI that is best for me, whether it’s a player-creation, what SOE provides, or a mix of the two.

• I want to have customization options in the SOE UI, but I don’t usually use third party creations.

• I would be open to using a third-party mod, as long as SOE had approved it in some fashion.

• Third-party mods should not be allowed at all by SOE.

Check out the choices and then head over the EverQuest Next site to cast your vote.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Is there a reason its worded yea or nay, instead of yay or nay?

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• PrimaltarianPrimaltarian Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Is there a reason its worded yea or nay, instead of yay or nay?

Because "Yea" means yes or affirmative. "Yay" means expressing triumph or excitement.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I would prefer just having a lot of customization and features like dps and agro meters build right into the game UI.

Not all who wander are lost...

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I like the SWTOR UI, if they come out with something like that i'll be happy 

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Originally posted by Dalanon
    I would prefer just having a lot of customization and features like dps and agro meters build right into the game UI.

The only problem with this is that someone in the community can usually do a better job than the game developers.

I'm totally for a modable UI.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I welcome customization so i definitelly welcome moddable UI.

With that said, i look forward to a UI that i can customize to the minimum possible. Im getting sick of having my screen covered with too many UI elements when im playing mmos.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by rojo6934

the editing option doesnt seem to be working well....

Anyway, was going to add that moddable UI should also allow us to hid UI elements, not only resize and move them.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    I'm always in favor of modding.  So Yea for me.  And Yay for me!
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Customizable is fine. Letting the game play itself for you ala WoW is not fine.

• JedidiahTheadoreJedidiahTheadore Member Posts: 48
    I'm fine with user generated UI mods or developer generated customizable UI so long as it provides at least what Warhammer and by extension SWTORs UI customization offered.

I hate the standard UI layout of the chat box in lower left hand corner, character and target portraits/HP stats in upper left hand corner, etc. But I just need to be able to completely change and resize the layout, I don't need all the fancy user generated mods to be happy, tho they are a nice fringe benefit so long as they don't lead to problems or developers designing content thinking everyone should be using them.
  • MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Modding is fine, but 3rd party mods lead to bots. This needs to be controlled.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    I hope EQ:Next won't be another game like EQ2/WoW/Rift/etc.  where I'm watching the UI instead of playing the game.  For that reason I say no to moddable UIs because a game should have a minimalistic UI that only tells me important information I need and everything else should be conveyed in game.  The base UI should be flexible enough for me to customize it to my likings too as in scaling and moving every bar and menu.  Guild Wars 2's UI is a pretty good example of a MMO UI done right.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Options to adjust or move what soe has, or only allow mods that soe approves.  Wow style modable ui just makes the game too easy and bot-ish.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Questions like this kind of puzzle me. A customizable UI is a feature that anyone would realistically want. It's just an option. You can have the default or you can customize if you want to. The problem with custom UIs is that the coding needs to be top notch and and be able to stop exploits and bugs. So yeah - I would love to be able to customize everything as long as it isn't annoying or cheating.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I would have to see more of the games systems to say yay or nay.

Alowing for the scaling, rotation and positioning of UI elements is a must imo. But i'm not a big fan of game addons such as dps meters.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Ugh. These questions. In my opinion everything should be customizable. Those who don't want to change from the default settings don't need to change from the default settings.  Honestly, these questions don't make me feel like I'm contributing to a game. It makes me feel we're all trying to help SOE figure out what to do based on prevailing opinion. Not that they're necessarily going to side with the majority. Nope, all these questions are doing is keeping people talking about a game that might be further off from launch then assumed.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Just make sure I can use a controller.
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Seems like they are trying to garner support for the lazy approach to game design.  Third party UI always wins, hands down.  There is no such thing as a one size fits all perfect UI.  The freedom to customize the interface is one of WoW's greatest strengths, and I am constantly that amazed developers don't support that.  You really are turning a motivated fan base into an unpaid development team.  And you get to cherry pick the best features from the player developed mods, and use them yourself. 

This does require work on the dev's part also, because they will need to define what is and is not acceptable, and keep players from obtaining an unfair advantage.  Blizzard is excellent at this, FunCom is getting better, SquareEnix, EA, and Sony fail constantly. 

• nuku_vnuku_v Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Lugors

...Sony fail constantly. 

EQ2's UI is pretty damn extensible. I never played without a UI mod.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

The freedom to customize the interface is one of WoW's greatest strengths

It is also one of the biggest weaknesses. WoW is a complete joke when it comes to how much you can let the UI play the game for you.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    World of Warcraft has the most UI addon's in the game, with many useful UI to keep track of such as armor durability on your hotbars, the ability to see your token currency on your bag inventory, the ability to keep track of your DPS and your Threat Gain for survival and become superior, and many other useful things we can do, this is a major plus for all of us as all of us have a different liking towards our UI preference.