Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlefield 4: 900p on PS4, 720p on XBOX One with less features!

TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

It looks like the Microsoft bullshit about "balanced systems" and cloud computing is finally falling apart and we see the real difference with a 3rd Party Title. How can anyone even think about buying a XBOX this generation?

"Perhaps the biggest takeaway is that, in this near-finalised state, the PS4 offers a superior experience on several fronts. The resolution is higher at 1600x900, as compared to the tried and tested 1280x720 on Xbox One, suffering as it does for more visible aliasing artefacts. Visually, the PS4 has a marked advantage with ambient occlusion effects too, which simply isn't matched on Microsoft's platform with the build we played." (Eurogamer)

PS4 version rendering 56% more pixels vs Xbox One,900p vs 720p 
PS4 has anti-aliasing, missing on Xbox One
PS4 has HBAO ambient occlusion, missing on Xbox One
PS4 has motion blur in multiplayer, missing on Xbox One
PS4 runs at a higher framerate in spite of all of the above advantages

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    im buying xbox cause it's an American company. 
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by muffins89

Hahahaha, oh boy this made my day! LOL!

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

That is a pretty good reason.

I do like to spend a bit extra if i get the chance to get a german quality product so i do understand your thinking.

However i only do get it if it does deliver the same or more than the competition i would never buy an inferior product just cause its from a German company (not saying the XBox is inferior tho).

I think buying an infeior product just cause the company is American or cause the brand is hip (like apple for example) does not help anyone.

If the product is inferior it would help more to not support it so that the company can get back on track and deliver a superb product the next time around.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Just a little idea of where the Xbox's are currently made, China. You're welcome.

Microsoft is an American company.  I did not mention the manufacturer. 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Keep in mind that we have yet to see the actual machines yet. Also we have yet to actually see the game run on a normal console yet.

So in the end it might turn out that Sony aim to high in a bid to "win" the PR war and the consumers will be stuck with a very pretty but choppy game. We do not know yet.

But i say this... With a Xbox One i will at least know what i get, Sony tells to little and keep fibbing on a lot of stuff. Who knows what kind of stupid they are cooking up under the cover of their "free pass" due to Microsoft´s PR armaggedon.

This have been a good conversation

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Op, your own source says 2 things you omitted. The first, these were preview units, not retail. The second, the preview xbox one was not calibrated for their equipment.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Most Xbone demoes was done on PC machines specced like a Xbox ONE rather the actual xbox machines.

This have been a good conversation

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Op, your own source says 2 things you omitted. The first, these were preview units, not retail. The second, the preview xbox one was not calibrated for their equipment.

I could have sworn they played the Xbox previews at E3 on a PC. I might be wrong though. I could have sworn I saw a mess up on their part showing the Microsoft OS desktop while setting up a game preview.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-battlefield-4-face-off-qa

^ Update to the article the op linked.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Livnthedream

The calibration is about the crushed blacks and the limited RGB range the xbox videos show. This resulted in a picture that some people actually think looks better while in reality it loses detail, it is the same as loudness in audio.

All that does not change the fact that the XBOX One version ran on a significantly lower resolution (720p), no Ambient Occlusion, no Anti Alias and to top it not even ran on 60FPS constantly despite all these restrictions.

If developers optimize their games on these preview systems, and DICE did, then this is what it will look on retail systems it could even be worse.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Kudos to DICE for not creating lower resolution & graphics version for PS4, in order to mask the inferiority of XB1.

Even though I will buy PS4 and dislike MS for their recent practices, I have to say that the only detail that stood out to me was lack of anti-aliasing on XB1. Everything else is pretty much invisible to the untrained eye while looking at screenshots. In full action, I probably wouldn't even notice the aliasing issue, not to mention lower resolution on XB1. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    PC 1080p :)
  • drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by tawess

Keep in mind that we have yet to see the actual machines yet. Also we have yet to actually see the game run on a normal console yet.

So in the end it might turn out that Sony aim to high in a bid to "win" the PR war and the consumers will be stuck with a very pretty but choppy game. We do not know yet.

But i say this... With a Xbox One i will at least know what i get, Sony tells to little and keep fibbing on a lot of stuff. Who knows what kind of stupid they are cooking up under the cover of their "free pass" due to Microsoft´s PR armaggedon.

This is one of the reasons I'm waiting on until after new years.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I love how people still defend the XBox when it is a clearly inferior piece of harware for a higher price tag.

I wonder if they are really excited for the few exclusives that the XBox has or are just truly fanboys.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

+1 let the console fight it out for whatever place they want...As hard as they try console will never replace the PC end of.

Asbo

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Not to be completely nasty/contrarian but America actually owes MORE of it's overall debt to Japan than it does China.  So if those 2 ever decide to duke it out we could be in for an interesting decision.

And Microsoft hasn't been an "American" corporation in a long time.  If you think that, you're being foolish.

MDibbs, they did.  That picture with the computer and the blue screens of death were prevalent at E3.  I think the hardware they have is CAPABLE but I don't know if they can pull it together with their OS/drivers.

Finally, looks like my decision was right overall.  A company that can make a statement of what MUST be, and then back track it so quickly.  If it could be so easily patched then what about all the comments about not being able to do so?  And yet it changed in the blink of an eye.  I worry that they'll try to change it back later on in one of their patches.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

If I may be so bold

I believe you should be more concerned about the business practices of a company rather then the nationality of one.

IMHO its about time that M$ gets a good slap in the face from consumer's. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Kaelaan21Kaelaan21 Member UncommonPosts: 349

I'm actually getting both consoles due to enjoying exclusives on both systems.

A couple of questions come to mind though:

1) On some 120Hz/240Hz HDMI televisions, 900p is not going to interpolate the pixels the same way that 720p does. Since most users are using either 720p, 1080i, 1080p  at the moment, it may make for some odd results on televisions older than 2 years (televisions fault).

2) Typically, most game companies will pack the textures for the console of the lowest common denominator. Does anyone know if the textures are stored at a quality designed for 720p or did they scale the textures for each console individually? If they are designed for 720p, yes, there will be an advantage with the PS4 - especially with targets in a distance, but not as much of a jump in quality that some people would expect.

I think the only reason why I still lean a little more towards the xbox, is that I can't stand the online experience in the PS3 and many games take much, much longer to load and start on the PS3. If the experience is smoother on the PS4 and more intuitive, then I will probably start moving more towards the PS4. Especially since Microsoft just closed down the Xbox Live family plan. Now, instead of $99/year for me and my two kids it will cost $117/year and I don't have a spare 4th account.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

MMORPG.com before release of latest hypetrain MMO: This will be killer! I'll be playing this game until the day I die! WoW killer for sure! Nerdvana approaches! Can't wait, someone put me in a coma until release! MUST GIVE DEVS MORE MONEY!!!

MMORPG.com after release of latest hypetrain MMO: Man, what a piece of crap. No endgame, no sale. Who the hell would buy this? Why don't the devs ever learn? We told them (sure you did, Bunky)! It'll be F2P in a week, shut down in a month. Pfft, I feel for those idiots (like me) who pre-ordered.

MMORPG.com before release of last-gen consoles: PS3 has the BESTEST CPU EVAH! It's clearly superior in every way. Xbox 360? 'Cause you look at it turn around and walk away -- let's face it, you don't know what an angle is anyway because you don't have a Cell Processor! M$ (see how clever I am, I used a dollar sign!) may as well shut down right now, PS3 is the most powerful machine around and will blow it away.

MMORPG.com after release of last-gen consoles: Meh, they both look and play pretty much the same and have 90% the same. Pick one, whatever.

MMORPG.com, where the same stupid crap gets spewed generation after generation without any risk of relevancy or learning.

Here's a thought that'll go over most heads around here: Don't hype or get hyped for a game or system you haven't played and don't ever think some third hand youtube video proves or means jack shit.

Originally posted by Kaelaan21

1) On some 120Hz/240Hz HDMI televisions, 900p is not going to interpolate the pixels the same way that 720p does. Since most users are using either 720p, 1080i, 1080p  at the moment, it may make for some odd results on televisions older than 2 years (televisions fault).

Both consoles upscale internally so you get a 1080p output. No interpolation needed.

2) Typically, most game companies will pack the textures for the console of the lowest common denominator. Does anyone know if the textures are stored at a quality designed for 720p or did they scale the textures for each console individually? If they are designed for 720p, yes, there will be an advantage with the PS4 - especially with targets in a distance, but not as much of a jump in quality that some people would expect.

Textures are always stored in a format that includes the highest resolution and sized down versions which is called mip mapping (creating multiple textrues of smaller sizes) . The Engine will use appropriate textures for the resolution/distance as needed.

Example Texture:

I think the only reason why I still lean a little more towards the xbox, is that I can't stand the online experience in the PS3 and many games take much, much longer to load and start on the PS3. If the experience is smoother on the PS4 and more intuitive, then I will probably start moving more towards the PS4. Especially since Microsoft just closed down the Xbox Live family plan. Now, instead of $99/year for me and my two kids it will cost $117/year and I don't have a spare 4th account.

You get a lot more bang for the buck on PSN. Have you seen the games they give away for free every year? It's a top seller lineup and can not even be compared to the crap that you get with XBL. I am sure the PS4 will be a lot smoother than the PS3.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

Hahahaha, oh boy this made my day! LOL!

I really can't stand this ignorant way of thinking.

Originally posted by Myria

Here's a thought that'll go over most heads around here: Don't hype or get hyped for a game or system you haven't played and don't ever think some third hand youtube video proves or means jack shit.

There is no hype just facts. Maybe that went over your head.

Xbox One: 720p and no constant 60fps.

PS4: 900p, AntiAlias, Ambient Occlusion, MotionBlurr (in MP)

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by NightBandit
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

+1 let the console fight it out for whatever place they want...As hard as they try console will never replace the PC end of.

Damn right. Been enjoying BF4 on PC and it looks better than it would on either of the consoles. Also, I suck with a controller, what can I say. Part of being an old dude. ;-)

In all seriousness I will buy a PS4 eventually, never had all that much lover xbox anyway, and this fiasco makes it even easier to stay with PS.

As to the poster who commented about buying American, I do when I can too. That said, if you buy an American product that sucks and is mismanaged, you aren't doing our country any favors in the long run. Ford cars used to suck ass, and their market share took a tumble. Enough foreign competition came in, kicked their butts, forced them to rethink the domestic car market, which they did, and now they produce a lot of decent to excellent cars, which a lot of people buy...many of which are made in Mexico. ;-)

Rewarding American companies for crap products with blind loyalty hurts the company in the long run.