Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Media] General: MMO Halloween

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In our weekly comic, artist Blaz Klaric brings us his irreverent look into the foibles of the MMO worlds we love, and love to hate. Check out "MMO Halloween" and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    "Well then, ummm, can I have your [stuff] candy????"      :)

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    exactly. I've never been that guy.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I hope these comics are donated ;)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Actually, doesn't WoW have a headless horseman equivalent to fight?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

People call devs lazy all the time. Seasonal events are one of the few I really agree with them on. Lame grinds to get even lamer cosmetic crap is all these things ever are.

Devs should have a simple test when adding " fun" content to a game. Will it pass the " what did you do last night" test.

That is, if you told your other gaming friends what you did last night would you be able to make it sound....not stupid.

Very few of these seasonal events in mmos would pass.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I luv WoW's Headless Horseman event, and all the Hallow's End events.

@Fendel84M it is WoW that this comic is often making fun of.  If it wasn't how would anyone understand the joke.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by DamonVile

People call devs lazy all the time. Seasonal events are one of the few I really agree with them on. Lame grinds to get even lamer cosmetic crap is all these things ever are.

Devs should have a simple test when adding " fun" content to a game. Will it pass the " what did you do last night" test.

That is, if you told your other gaming friends what you did last night would you be able to make it sound....not stupid.

Very few of these seasonal events in mmos would pass.

EQ2 does it right with halloween.

The 'currency' just comes from killing mobs, so going about your daily business gets you the currency.

The events are mostly something fun you do once or twice, with no reason to repeat them other to finish a collection (which doesnt take many runs) or to choose a different reward.

Each year they also add another recipe book which doesnt require any unlocking, just go to a vendor and buy it.

And with the ridiculous amount of halloween themed items in game creative people can make some crazy haunted houses and such.

I love WoW's horseman event (cool voice actor too), but a lot of the events for the holiday are fairly annoying.  But of course they are all optional so if you dont like em, dont do em.

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81
    Love the punch line: "To find something fun to do."

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Sounds like a direct jab at what G(rind)W2 has pulled this year for Halloween.  Imagine trying to gather 10 THOUSAND of a holiday item when they completely nerfed the nodes to obtain them.  Sound like fun?  Now imagine gathering 15 THOUSAND for another separate item.  Even the people with a life of leisure who can dedicate all their time to this are burning out, getting pissed, and stopping entirely.  It's ridiculous how far this game has fallen off its tracks.  

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Finally, someone who understands me.
  • AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Actually, doesn't WoW have a headless horseman equivalent to fight?

yea he's called the headless horseman ^^

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

WoW's event boss hasn't been updated in like 3 plus years to include anything new to attain.

It 's fun to kill it daily, but all you get are junk items to vendor or throw away and justice pts. They couldn't even bother to increase the loot on its table... It's pretty pointless! 

At least Lord of the Rings Online grinding tokens allows you to buy new horses, cosmetics and war steed caprisons... 

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    You're right it is lazy. On top of that Blizzard can't even bother to give us any new world event content whatsoever, and even Lord of the Rings Online and Sony didn't do anything new, just new rewards on the same quests we already did last year or 3 ... 
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Clever
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by bcbully
    exactly. I've never been that guy.

i tried it a few times in wow - it was very annoying

in 2 worldwide events

Hallows Eve and Lunar Festival, players are tasked to visit 60+ locations world wide

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by mysticaluna
     even Lord of the Rings Online and Sony didn't do anything new, just new rewards on the same quests we already did last year or 3 ... 

true for this year but EQ2 often adds new quests for Halloween and Frostfell

ZAM details the year the *new* quest was introduced

http://www.zam.com/wiki/Nights_of_the_Dead_%28EQ2_Live_Event%29

http://www.zam.com/wiki/Frostfell_%28EQ2_Live_Event%29

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Well done. :) I've found myself doing the same thing lately.

This strip prompted me to update Asheron's Call and login. IMO, few MMOs have done Halloween as well as AC has. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Halloween, bah humbug!

Oh, wrong holiday. 

Call me the Grinch, I don't care for holiday events in games, pointless distractions for the most part that are largely immersion breaking and result in few rewards actually worth bothering for.

But the comic made a good point....if you're going to have them, don't load them up with annoying grinds, make them more one and done and let people get back to the "real" gaming.

image  <--  (forum Halloween costume)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by mysticaluna
     even Lord of the Rings Online and Sony didn't do anything new, just new rewards on the same quests we already did last year or 3 ... 

true for this year but EQ2 often adds new quests for Halloween and Frostfell

... and I'd like to somewhat defend LotRO. While it's true that after an event is implemented, the next year it brings only a few new rewards, but there were a fair number of new events in the last few years. (like the Haunted burrow, Frostbluff, the Anniversary, Farmer's Faire, that funny "conspiracy" questline in Bree somewhere before the Bree redesign, not to mention they've dusted off and reinsert into the rotation the Beer brawl arena and the Treasure hunting weekend)

I just love festivals :) except if it's only a boring grindfest, like Neverwinter's liar one... you have to barter your grinded currency into an another one with which you can buy the festival stuff - one at a time. Not kidding, you grind out let's say 100, then you have to run around for an hour to convert that 100 into the other currency...  lamest mechanic ever :)

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I appreciate the effort GW2 puts into their Halloween event but it is simply awful in execution.