Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want cooler looking combat skills

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

For me immersion is everything.

In TSW you are supposed to be this cool super powered mage , but in fact you are running around shooting machine guns and slamming people with swords.

I just want to have fun while playing, and so far combat was completely underwhelming , not feeling "magical" at all.

What skill lines do pack most visual punch ?

What skill lines are fun to play (doesnt need to be most effective) ?

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    If you want magical skills, choose a magical skill line like Elementalism.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    If you want magical skills, choose a magical skill line like Elementalism.

I did, totally wasted SP just to try it out (although its not recommended build for me)

Its bit better now, but still pretty mundane zip zap.

I suppose TSW just isn't a flashy game. Elementalism is as flashy as it gets IMO.
  • dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

I want the Corinthian pillars for Crimson Theatre back, dammit!

There appear to be a few changes to effects with 1.8 (an early build of which is on the test servers), but nothing major. Generally though, I'm not convinced the kind of flashy spell effects that fit in high-fantasy games would be really appropriate for TSW.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by dancingstar

I want the Corinthian pillars for Crimson Theatre back, dammit!

There appear to be a few changes to effects with 1.8 (an early build of which is on the test servers), but nothing major. Generally though, I'm not convinced the kind of flashy spell effects that fit in high-fantasy games would be really appropriate for TSW.

I agree.  Ultra-flashy effects don't fit the game.  The combat effects should be more subdued, or they'd look out of place.

A nuclear bomb doesn't need to detonate every time a character swings a sword.  Save that for the high fantasy stuff.  The effects in TSW fit the genre.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    For me the skills work fine but the animations could use some serious work. I think that's one of the largest complaints about the game.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• Shayyd80Shayyd80 Member Posts: 110
    the difficulty when soloing should be looked at too. Sometimes it just isn't fun when soloing, just feels more like a grind on one mob for 3 minutes until it dies, then move to next, rinse repeat and hope you brought some drinks along the way. I absolutely LOVE TSW but... it fails on the solo gamer level. I love grouping in TSW as well but... sometimes you just feel like grouping and your left with the "solo grind" hard enough as It is. The dungeons are amazing though. Best design for any mmo's I.M.O.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    For me the skills work fine but the animations could use some serious work. I think that's one of the largest complaints about the game.

Funcom should have known better than to use manual set keys instead of MOCAP with the art style they used.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

Funcom should have known better than to use manual set keys instead of MOCAP with the art style they used.

Manual animations can look incredible. For example, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was animated manually and looked better than most mocap games. FunCom just couldn't pull it off.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Shayyd80
    the difficulty when soloing should be looked at too. Sometimes it just isn't fun when soloing, just feels more like a grind on one mob for 3 minutes until it dies, then move to next, rinse repeat and hope you brought some drinks along the way. I absolutely LOVE TSW but... it fails on the solo gamer level. I love grouping in TSW as well but... sometimes you just feel like grouping and your left with the "solo grind" hard enough as It is. The dungeons are amazing though. Best design for any mmo's I.M.O.

I have to tell you then, you are not witha  good damage build, I can kill even whole groups pretty fast and it from someone who use AR as main weapon. try to get all items for atack save one item for health and you are gold

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Shayyd80

I think it's the builder combat that makes some fights seem like a grind more than anything.  MMO's desperately need more solo difficulty, if the combat is not this horrible chore that is builder combat.  I like the game overall, but anytime I start to get irritated with the game I realize that it's the builder combat, nothing else.

OP  must have used guns initially as most of the magic looks very good/flashy.