Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The misconception of a good mmo...who is voting for this stuff ?

13

Comments

  • RexKushmanRexKushman lake como, NJPosts: 28Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by page975

    I just cant understand how people cant open up there mind, and REALLY see whats going on !

     

    - Developers are LEAVING US NO CHOICE.

    - People are ADDICTED TO PLAYING MMOS AND VIDEO GAMES. They have to play.

    - People WILL PLAY THE LATEST.

    - Developers are using MARKETING TRICKS, and everyone is getting sucked in.....Going back to point one We have NO CHOICE.

    - MMOs are lasting 30 days.....OK, I'm done with that one. Now, whats the next one coming out ?

    - 90% of you will play Wildstar, EQ Next, and Elders Scrolls Online....All 3, just because.

     

    This vote with your Wallet is the newest and silliest saying that can be used on this site !

    It seems like YOU may have a problem. 

     

    I have complete control and choice over what games I buy and play.  If you really feel that you have lost total control over your actions then it's time to seek professional help.  

  • crack_foxcrack_fox WellingtonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by RexKushman
    Originally posted by page975

    Help Me!

     seek professional help.  

    This ^

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by page975

    - Developers are LEAVING US NO CHOICE.

    - People are ADDICTED TO PLAYING MMOS AND VIDEO GAMES. They have to play.

    true for some but not true for the majority

    i havent tried new mmos in over a year

     

    i still play mmos  (GW2, EQ2, DDO) but the new mmos have not interested me

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,681Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by page975

    I just cant understand how people cant open up there mind, and REALLY see whats going on !

     

    - Developers are LEAVING US NO CHOICE.

    - People are ADDICTED TO PLAYING MMOS AND VIDEO GAMES. They have to play.

    - People WILL PLAY THE LATEST.

    - Developers are using MARKETING TRICKS, and everyone is getting sucked in.....Going back to point one We have NO CHOICE.

    - MMOs are lasting 30 days.....OK, I'm done with that one. Now, whats the next one coming out ?

    - 90% of you will play Wildstar, EQ Next, and Elders Scrolls Online....All 3, just because.

     

    This vote with your Wallet is the newest and silliest saying that can be used on this site !

     

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by page975

    I just cant understand how people cant open up there mind, and REALLY see whats going on !

     

    - Developers are LEAVING US NO CHOICE.

    - People are ADDICTED TO PLAYING MMOS AND VIDEO GAMES. They have to play.

    - People WILL PLAY THE LATEST.

    - Developers are using MARKETING TRICKS, and everyone is getting sucked in.....Going back to point one We have NO CHOICE.

    - MMOs are lasting 30 days.....OK, I'm done with that one. Now, whats the next one coming out ?

    - 90% of you will play Wildstar, EQ Next, and Elders Scrolls Online....All 3, just because.

     

    This vote with your Wallet is the newest and silliest saying that can be used on this site !

     

    Now who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?
    Look here brother, don't you waste your time on me.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,681Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite

    Now who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?
    Look here brother, don't you waste your time on me.

    Whoawaitwut!!!... Frank Zappa?

    Well played. imageimage

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,951Member Uncommon

    The only "voting" going on that matters is what people do with their wallet.

    People seem content to keep paying for and playing shallow, disposable, one-dimensional MMOs these days, so that is what the makers keep putting out.

    The good news is that with the abject failure of TOR (to meet expectations, at the very least) people are finally starting to not buy the "worst offenders".

     

  • NagelRitterNagelRitter fewefw, CTPosts: 607Member
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

    I'm not saying people don't have a right to have their own opinion. I was saying that if you hate every MMO that is currently out there, and can't find a mmo that fits you. Mmos just might not be for you anymore. I was responding to a previous post responding to this idea. Not sure where "consumer whorism" even fits in to this.

    Or maybe they're just not making good MMO's anymore?

    I found an MMO that fits me - it's an instance of a 2004 version of a certain MMO. Just not really a viable, or preferred, way to play... but it's there. Just not among any modern titles that got dumbed down into the ground. If I can enjoy that old replica of an MMO 10 years later the issue isn't that I am tired of MMO's or something, it's just that they entirely changed the design metadology across the industry.

    Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by CowboyHat

    I'm not saying people don't have a right to have their own opinion. I was saying that if you hate every MMO that is currently out there, and can't find a mmo that fits you. Mmos just might not be for you anymore. I was responding to a previous post responding to this idea. Not sure where "consumer whorism" even fits in to this.

    Or maybe they're just not making good MMO's anymore?

    I found an MMO that fits me - it's an instance of a 2004 version of a certain MMO. Just not really a viable, or preferred, way to play... but it's there. Just not among any modern titles that got dumbed down into the ground. If I can enjoy that old replica of an MMO 10 years later the issue isn't that I am tired of MMO's or something, it's just that they entirely changed the design metadology across the industry.

    "good" is subjective. It is the same thing. Cowboyhat is right. If you don't think any MMO is good .. well .. then "you hate every MMO that is currently out there, and can't find a mmo that fits you" in current MMOs.

    So what if the design changes? No one owe you any design. Devs can do whatever, and cater to whomever they wish in a free market. I don't see how you have a better claim than anyone else in the same market.

     

  • page975page975 Scranton, PAPosts: 312Member

    If ONE car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH no one would buy it.

    If EVERY car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH, we would all be going 20 MPH

     

    Sooooo with this, we have Wildstar, ESO, and EQ Next.....30 days games, Everyone will buy them and go 20 MPH  :)

  • RabidMouthRabidMouth Charlotte, NCPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by page975

    If ONE car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH no one would buy it.

    If EVERY car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH, we would all be going 20 MPH

     

    Sooooo with this, we have Wildstar, ESO, and EQ Next.....30 days games, Everyone will buy them and go 20 MPH  :)

    That's quite the assumption you have made there. Will you be buying them?

    You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

  • DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by page975

    If ONE car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH no one would buy it.

    If EVERY car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH, we would all be going 20 MPH

     

    Sooooo with this, we have Wildstar, ESO, and EQ Next.....30 days games, Everyone will buy them and go 20 MPH  :)

    Funny that's you'd use the speed of an object when trying to give an example using one persons perspective.

  • Ocalypse0Ocalypse0 United States, CTPosts: 18Member

    I must confess that I agree with some of the OP's sentiments.

     

    When I started playing World of Warcraft (my first real MMO I truly dedicated time to) I was not a good player; but back then (early TBC) the game forced socialization between players. I was able to learn from other players throughout my leveling journey. I loved the fact that I was playing in a living, breathing virtual world.

    I feel that a lot of that has been lost of late. People who honestly have no business playing MMO's now play MMO's.

    Now, before someone foams at the mouth and calls me an elitist (as it seems that is the current buzzword nowadays), allow me to explain.

    MMOs at their very core were games that took a great deal of time (compared to the average single player game) and social interaction (40v40 BGs, 40+ person raids). If you are not interested in either of these two aspects of a genre...I am forced to ask why would one play an MMO?

    That's like me buying Fozra and then being furious that it is a racing game. It just doesn't make sense to me.

    Making MMOs into psuedo Xbox games to appease the masses isn't a good move for the genre.

     

     

    Warrior/Druid - Level 90/90 - World of Warcraft
    GLD Level 27 - CNJ Level 15 - Final Fantasy XIV: ARR
    Jedi Guardian/Republic Gunslinger - Level 50/50 - SW:TOR
    Cleric - Level 48 - RIFT
    Illuminati - QL6 - The Secret World
    Trickster Rogue - Level 50 - Neverwinter
    Summoner Level 30 - League of Legends
    EGO Rating 363 - Defiance

  • donpopukidonpopuki Dearborn, MIPosts: 591Member
    No one owes me anything. I'm in charge of my happiness.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,681Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by page975

    If ONE car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH no one would buy it.

    If EVERY car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH, we would all be going 20 MPH

     

    Sooooo with this, we have Wildstar, ESO, and EQ Next.....30 days games, Everyone will buy them and go 20 MPH  :)

    Unless there's data that shows people want to go faster, at which point they will sell faster cars. After all, you said devs are in it for the Big Money, right? Seems the most logical thing is to make what most people want.

    Granted, I'm probably nowhere near as knowledgeable as you are about big business, so I may be way off base on that one. I haven't run many businesses, and of the few I have operated, it *seemed* that providing what the customer wanted was working for me. If there was some greater collusion on a standard inferior product that I was supposed to be on board with, I missed the memo. Again, I'm just going by how things seemed. I could have been way off base on that as I was only going by volume and sales figures, completely lacking the necessary preconceptions, anecdotes and assumptions required to make a truly informed assessment.

     

    There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

  • RhinotonesRhinotones BenowaPosts: 238Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by page975

    If ONE car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH no one would buy it.

    If EVERY car manufacture makes cars that only go 20 MPH, we would all be going 20 MPH

     

    Sooooo with this, we have Wildstar, ESO, and EQ Next.....30 days games, Everyone will buy them and go 20 MPH  :)

    Talking in absolutes is never wise.

    As mentioned in an earlier post reply to this thread, I made a decision to stop playing/paying when my satisfaction with the genre changed and I couldn't find a suitable alternative. Therefore, your statement is incorrect.

    If you don't enjoy something, why stay with it? You either need to adapt your thinking to remain happy, or, remain dissatisfied and move away from MMO's.

    image
  • LostieLostie Tdot, CAPosts: 8Member
    i totally agree with the title. i look at the top tens and find that a few of them dont deserve that spot
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Edmonton, ABPosts: 793Member
    Why do other people buy stuff that won't last? I really don't know. Maybe they like 30 days in a game. I don't care. I see some good potential in sandbox-esque MMOs in the next 1-3 years. That has me optimistic. Worst case scenario I just continue with coop/single player games which are improving for the most part.

    Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lostie
    I look at the top tens and find that a few of them dont deserve that spot

    its always been that way - forever

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Lostie
    I look at the top tens and find that a few of them dont deserve that spot

    its always been that way - forever

    Well, not quite--the original ten mmo's almost certainly securely held their 'top ten' spots...

    Only we couldn't stop arguing about which titles (specifically) were included/excluded, at that time, or any time since.

    Lineage I -- A blockbuster rock-crusher of a Title for its time that easily outsold all early western titles? Or instantly dismissed never-mattered?

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    Why do other people buy stuff that won't last?

    Because entertainment don't last forever?

    Because they are used to movies, novels and SP games that end?

    Because they want to finish something, and get something new?

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite

    Lineage I -- A blockbuster rock-crusher of a Title for its time that easily outsold all early western titles? Or instantly dismissed never-mattered?

    true L1 outsold all western titles

    but it did poorly in the West -- with only a fraction of the playerbase it had in the East

     

    L1 was never a blockbuster in USA / Europe

  • SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by page975

    Are we being forced into what we have now ?

    Are you liking it ?

    Do we even have a vote ?

     

    MMO are evolving away from the old school style of sandbox, open world, somewhat social dependent games to more of the theme park small zone carrot on a stick, moving from one quest to another along wth non social dynamic events style of gaming.

    Lately MMOs are lasting us thirty days, maybe sixty for die-hards.  But for the most part were all jumping around from game to game lookng for that old feeling or at least something we can call home for awhile....But can you really find one ?

    Post after post many players here at mmorpg.com are defending their game to the end countering any negativity. Over and over again for the past few years mmo post start with more positives than negative, but slowly they get less and less until the next release comes along.

    Now, to this point most would agree, some maybe not.

     

    Now here is what many are not aware of :

    People seem to think MMO PLAYERS, AND THE NEWER GENERATION OF PLAYERS ARE ASKING FOR THIS.  30 DAY THEME PARK !......Fast jump in jump out casual mmos for the on the go working men and women and collage kids that have to devote time to studying......Easy mmos with everything handed to them for the seven year olds that can play with dad.

    People also ASSUME this is popular because they sell.....Well, sure they sell........Because of three reasons :

    1) Marketing, and developer hype. They seem to be getting better with cinematic and Youtubes ( Warhammer started this ) Just watch the latest Wildstar videos !.....Try and find real actual game play footage, its hard to do with up coming releases...your watching a video for Christ sake !

    2) Nothing else to play. With everything being thirty days, that leaves the obsessive player starving ( I'm one of them ).

    3) Relying on past franchise or favorites of movies. Good examples of this are Starwars The Old Republic, and Final Fantasy 14. Now lets be real they were let downs and you know it. There carrot on a stick short thirty day games not mmos. Soon will be getting Elders Scrolls Online. That one smells of a short theme park, small instances zone, mega server thirty day game before its even released. YET, I'LL PROBABLY BE PLAYING IT TOO !

     

    People are NOT voting with there wallets !!!!......Our obsessiveness leaves us with no choice. That and we are fooled by marketing. Marketing is now better than the games them selfs. People will disagree with me but the " Big Money " is made up front, developers know that...They don't care about us that are trying to call some place home. Contrary to popular belief they don't care about retention !

     

     

    Hmm, in all my years of playing these games I have YET to play one where I am done in 30 days. That seems to me to be the fault of the person playing, not the game. 

    I often wonder when are people going to understand that these games do not have to be finished in the blink of an eye and that the only reason this is happening is because of the player...

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • RabidMouthRabidMouth Charlotte, NCPosts: 196Member
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by page975

    Are we being forced into what we have now ?

    Are you liking it ?

    Do we even have a vote ?

     

    MMO are evolving away from the old school style of sandbox, open world, somewhat social dependent games to more of the theme park small zone carrot on a stick, moving from one quest to another along wth non social dynamic events style of gaming.

    Lately MMOs are lasting us thirty days, maybe sixty for die-hards.  But for the most part were all jumping around from game to game lookng for that old feeling or at least something we can call home for awhile....But can you really find one ?

    Post after post many players here at mmorpg.com are defending their game to the end countering any negativity. Over and over again for the past few years mmo post start with more positives than negative, but slowly they get less and less until the next release comes along.

    Now, to this point most would agree, some maybe not.

     

    Now here is what many are not aware of :

    People seem to think MMO PLAYERS, AND THE NEWER GENERATION OF PLAYERS ARE ASKING FOR THIS.  30 DAY THEME PARK !......Fast jump in jump out casual mmos for the on the go working men and women and collage kids that have to devote time to studying......Easy mmos with everything handed to them for the seven year olds that can play with dad.

    People also ASSUME this is popular because they sell.....Well, sure they sell........Because of three reasons :

    1) Marketing, and developer hype. They seem to be getting better with cinematic and Youtubes ( Warhammer started this ) Just watch the latest Wildstar videos !.....Try and find real actual game play footage, its hard to do with up coming releases...your watching a video for Christ sake !

    2) Nothing else to play. With everything being thirty days, that leaves the obsessive player starving ( I'm one of them ).

    3) Relying on past franchise or favorites of movies. Good examples of this are Starwars The Old Republic, and Final Fantasy 14. Now lets be real they were let downs and you know it. There carrot on a stick short thirty day games not mmos. Soon will be getting Elders Scrolls Online. That one smells of a short theme park, small instances zone, mega server thirty day game before its even released. YET, I'LL PROBABLY BE PLAYING IT TOO !

     

    People are NOT voting with there wallets !!!!......Our obsessiveness leaves us with no choice. That and we are fooled by marketing. Marketing is now better than the games them selfs. People will disagree with me but the " Big Money " is made up front, developers know that...They don't care about us that are trying to call some place home. Contrary to popular belief they don't care about retention !

     

     

    Hmm, in all my years of playing these games I have YET to play one where I am done in 30 days. That seems to me to be the fault of the person playing, not the game. 

    I often wonder when are people going to understand that these games do not have to be finished in the blink of an eye and that the only reason this is happening is because of the player...

    Shhh that kind of logic is frowned upon on these forums. People always race to see how quickly they can finish their characters, it's a sad fact but it happens with every release.

    You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

  • nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Slampig

     

    Hmm, in all my years of playing these games I have YET to play one where I am done in 30 days. That seems to me to be the fault of the person playing, not the game. 

    I often wonder when are people going to understand that these games do not have to be finished in the blink of an eye and that the only reason this is happening is because of the player...

    That is you. I don't think i need to play video games your way.

    I finished Marvel Heroes story content in 30 hours ... and had fun. So what is the problem here?

     

Sign In or Register to comment.