Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Must be getting close now?

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Landmark is scheduled for this year correct?

There is only 2 months left in the year and only minimal information and hype on the game

Surely, marketing would be ramping up by now? or at least soon?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Nitth

There is only 2 months left in the year and only minimal information and hype on the game

I'd say there's ZERO chance of them releasing Landmark this year. Unless they're planning on the shortest closed/open beta cycle in MMO history... image

• MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Yeah, I think clsed beta will start by the end of the year, but release is still a ways off.
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

A free to play beta that is open to everyone is releasing the game. PoE was released like 6 months ago as an example, they just hid behind a beta label. I'd imagine the bets of landmark will be out soon enough.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Ender4

A free to play beta that is open to everyone is releasing the game. PoE was released like 6 months ago as an example, they just hid behind a beta label. I'd imagine the bets of landmark will be out soon enough.

True enough.

It's an F2P game, so the sooner they start open beta, the sooner they can get that Cash Shop going and start earning money...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Vutar
    Since it is a free game there probably is not much point in putting money into advertising. People will find out about the release on various sites like this one anyway. 

Even still, should they not be seeding these sites with information and hype?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Originally posted by Nitth Landmark is scheduled for this year correct? There is only 2 months left in the year and only minimal information and hype on the game Surely, marketing would be ramping up by now? or at least soon?
    I'd say there's ZERO chance of them releasing Landmark this year. Unless they're planning on the shortest closed/open beta cycle in MMO history... 

That would make me sad, Al tough to be expected. kinda had the feeling about the project from the start that they bit off more they can chew in the time frame proposed.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Ender4

While I agree with what you said here, I think you should also add to that you can pay for a cash shop items and/or no character wipes as a stipulation.  You can still have a public beta in a F2P game as long as the cash shop isn't implemented or is in a "free" testing phase.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Landmark is scheduled for this winter

SOE has refused to elaborate if its this year

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/387759042438774785

Paul ?@Striffe717 8 Oct
    @DaveGeorgeson hey Dave landmark winter this year or beginning of next?

David Georgeson ?@DaveGeorgeson
    @Striffe717 Nice try. :) Just winter. And it's coming.

in a later tweet,

Smokejumper said there would be more more beta details in a month or so

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/392400003529846784

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I would guess the beta schedule will be released last week of Nov. or first week of Dec....Then the actual start would be end of Dec or by the 2nd week of Jan....  It will be beta though, not sure if Landmark is the type of product that they will not wipe beta with though, since it will be 'open' and a different kind of mmo.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I know they have made a big deal about this game being released this year, but I keep feeling it will be delayed.  Wait and see.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Winter goes all the way out to May in some parts of the world.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• arunasmearunasme Member UncommonPosts: 129

I don't understand when people say its a game, it's a tool for EQN, the devs addressed it like that themselves.

I imagine landmark more like a sdk/devkit, a minecraft type building "game", you think something like needs alot of atention to alphas/beta's? I view it as a tool with no obligations to the user, a voluntary piece of a games mechanic to fiddle around in spare time.

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

the one above me has a point.

It was first designed as a tool and the developers uses it to create EQN. So a lot of testing is already done. Only things that have to be tested are networkstability with many people, the little gameplay bits from EQN like parcour and some of the social stuff.

If they announce next week the beta will start 15th November. and the release will be the 15th December. i say its enough time for Landmark.

P.S.: They said there will be no NDA for the Beta only for Alpha. Could mean they skip the closed beta and go right to the open beta for stresstesting the network.

Originally posted by arunasme

I don't understand when people say its a game, it's a tool for EQN, the devs addressed it like that themselves.

Landmark was announced the weekend of SOE Live as a mmo

and continually so, throughout  the month of august

EQNL info from SOE Live weekend, Aug 04
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/04/soe-live-2013-delving-deeper-into-eqns-landmark/
    EQNL info from Gamescom 2013, Aug 21
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/21/gamescom-2013-in-depth-looks-at-everquest-next-and-eq-next-lan/
    EQNL info from PAX 2013, Aug 31
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/31/pax-prime-2013-the-strange-case-for-everquest-next-landmark/

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Most of this upcoming Winter is in 2014.  My guess is that if it's not delayed, were'e probably looking at February.  Who knows, maybe they will surprise us.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I imagine landmark more like a sdk/devkit, a minecraft type building "game", you think something like needs alot of atention to alphas/beta's? I view it as a tool with no obligations to the user, a voluntary piece of a games mechanic to fiddle around in spare time.

Yet SOE says it will have character progression, crafting, exploration and combat. Makes it sound like a game to me.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Tyvolus4Tyvolus4 Member UncommonPosts: 192
    if landmark were releasing this year, they would come right out and say so.  They keep trying to be cute with this Winter release BS....Expect Landmark sometime mid 2014.

I don't understand when people say its a game, it's a tool for EQN, the devs addressed it like that themselves.I imagine landmark more like a sdk/devkit, a minecraft type building "game", you think something like needs alot of atention to alphas/beta's? I view it as a tool with no obligations to the user, a voluntary piece of a games mechanic to fiddle around in spare time.

Although the concept does sound like a toolkit, The devs have emphasized that EQN:Landmark will be a mmo game in its own right.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

They said this winter, not this year.

Winter is usually considered to be until end of february or march (depending on how the company has set their fiscal quarters).

Not coming this year, that's for sure. Did you know PS2 was originally launching in spring 2011?

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Landmark is not a tool, it's a sandbox MMO without a setting. Think Minecraft Survival/Adventure game mode, not Minecraft Creative.

It's going to support guilds, trading, crafting, harvesting and combat, they even talked about PvP making its way into it on the long term.  Everything that show up in Landmark in term of gameplay will be present in EQN with some tweak in some cases (example land claims aren't going to work the same way).

The only limitations are classes (limited to Adventurer), a single race (as far as I know) and no lore/quests setting per see. Your Adventurer character will even be "exportable" to EQN (which makes me think that they will add the races to Landmark over time).

The best description of Landmark is as a testbed for EQN features and yes it will be in constant "beta". It won't even release with all the features. Which is why I think that the release is much sooner than people think...

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by tom_gore

They said this winter, not this year.

Winter is usually considered to be until end of february or march (depending on how the company has set their fiscal quarters).

Not coming this year, that's for sure. Did you know PS2 was originally launching in spring 2011?

...from SOE Live (August 2013). Fast forward to 37:40 of the video in the link listed below.

Originally posted by BBPD766

...from SOE Live (August 2013). Fast forward to 37:40 of the video in the link listed below.

thanks for source w Smed saying "this year"

the SOE press release from first day of SOE Live is quoted as saying this winter

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/view/news/read/28244/EQN-Revealed-World-Building-Landmark-Released-This-Winter.html

details from the press release

This winter, SOE will introduce EverQuest Next Landmark

as I posted earlier, Smokejumper is not committing to "this year" when asked on twitter

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Nitth

I'd say there's ZERO chance of them releasing Landmark this year. Unless they're planning on the shortest closed/open beta cycle in MMO history... image

SOE is a big enough company they can do a lot of the testing internally and save beta for just stress testing. Its not unheard of. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

They stated that there would be a beta and they stated that landmark probably won't be feature complete when it is released. There doesn't need to be a lot of time before it is released to the public as a beta. My guess is they hope for Dec but know it might end up being Jan or Feb thus the winter answer.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

You should probably do a little research.  SOE has said multiple times now that it is a full game.  It's not just a toolset.  When they first announced it at SOE live earlier in the year, it sort of sounded that way, but a lot more information has come out since then.  It's basically a more pure sandbox game concentrating around building stuff, but it will have PvE, group content, etc.  

In one of their recent videos, they also mentioned that it's a bit of an open book.  In other words, they intend to let the players drive the direction some once it is launched. This is a wise move, since they already will have a full MMORPG game out, and Landmark is likely to attract a completely different crowd of people. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.