Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: One Guild Per Character or More?

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 17,633MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

Jeff Butler takes on the latest Everquest Next Roundtable. This week's question and community response centers on the question "One guild per character or more?" According to the video, the response from the community is

Associate Editor:
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

• ropeniceropenice Lake Worth, FLPosts: 586Member Uncommon
    Doesn't seem like any down side to this. If you only want one guild, then you can do that. If you need to the infrastructure of multiple types of guilds for big projects or for maximizing the support for all your activities (adventuring, pvp, crafting, etc), then there you go. 
  • NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,760Member Uncommon

If you try to model this on the real world, You usually have 2 ways of doing things.

1. One entity with multiple divisions. ie.

Sony Corporate <-- top level
    Sony Music <-- sub division
    Sony Entertainment <-- subdivision

2. 1 body, with multiple partners.
    Union <--top level

Transforming these into mmo terms
    You could have 1 guild, with multiple sections that have special purposes.

Resource gathering

The trick here is giving people the tools to encapsulate themselves or expand as they wish. luckily, for the most part its just a matter of dividing chat channels up.

So in essence, if your a crafter and only want to be affiliated with the crafters and resource gatherers of the guild you set up the context that allows that to be so all the while retaining guild pride and sense of purpose.

The other way to go, would be alliances. (eve online)

Alliance <-- top level
    guild partner <-- sub level
    guild partner <-- sub level

Each guild remains abstracted from another allowing individuality outside of common alliance goals.

pros are that each guild can run and specialize as they please.
    cons here is there is no real pride among the sub guilds.

my 2c

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• skeeter667skeeter667 holyoke, MAPosts: 56Member Uncommon
    I think this takes the loyaltiy out of being in a guild if you can be in multiple guilds at once.You see this in GW2 being able to be in different guilds at the same time.It really defeats the purpose of team play.You join a guild because that guild shares the same vision that you do and you all work together towards that goal.Being able to join multiple guilds just seems to water this down to me and takes the guild loyaltiy out of it.To me it says well I will PVE with this guild but they don't deserve my crafting skills so I will join this crafting guild over here.It kind of takes the community out of guilds I think.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Huntsville, ALPosts: 297Member Uncommon

The way I see it happening. You join a raiding guild and a crafting guild. One day you don't want to rai, so you craft. However your raiding guild sees you one and wants to know why you are not raiding with them. You say you are crafting with your crafting guild. Your raiding guild reminds you that they invited you tot he guild to raid, not to craft with another guild. You end up getting into an argument and kicked from the raiding guild for not raiding.

It will happen.

Raiding guilds are nuts.

• immodiumimmodium ManchesterPosts: 1,713Member Uncommon
    So I can be in both the Crips and Bloods?

• goldtoofgoldtoof leedsPosts: 337Member
    Meh I'm not a fan of this multiple guild nonsense. Sadly it seems a trend with gw2, eso and now eqn.

It suggests a segregation of all the activities. Think of a complete game like eve where all the systems are interdependent, you wouldn't a pvp guild, a crafting guild a pve guild etc.. in eve, you want your miners, explorers, pvpers, pveers, manufacturers & crafters all in the same guild.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon

Sounds good so far. I would like to add, I loved the way Dark Age of Camelot did guilds/alliances. Your character could be in a guild, and that guild could join an alliance with many more. We had a chat channel dedicated to the alliance, alliance chat, you could talk to people within the alliance on that chat. It was great. Small guilds and large guilds came together in an alliance together a total of 21 guilds if I remember correctly. It allowed us to form up quickly to protect our frontiers, a message would go out in alliance chat, everyone would suicide onto the nearest mob and get to the portal keep as quickly as possible, in minutes you had hundreds of people ready to defend our realm, it was great.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

I don't really care about the topic much, if someone wants to be in multiple guilds I don't see how it is some big issue.

I will say that I still find it funny that people call the round table nothing but hype. I don't see how anyone watches this video and considers it hype in any way. Nobody is excited about what was being said here and it obviously isn't completely set in stone yet.

I really dislike this notion that one character can do everything in the game too. I can't put my finger on it exactly but it really bugs me. It feels too much like not keeping score in sports because you don't want someone to have to be the loser.

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAPosts: 1,030Member Uncommon

Allowing a character to join multiple guilds?   A lot of this is going to depend on a lot of other in-game elements.  Having multiple allegiances opens guilds to all manner of disruptive, anti-social issues, both in-game and meta-game.  Anyone ever have a guild bank looted?   Do you want that to be the norm rather than the exception?  That's only with the traditional PVE slant of all previous EQ games.  If they do add PvP elements (of any nature) in EQ:N, spying might actually be the least of a guild's worries.

Multiple allegiances might be great in a PnP game like Paranoia.  (Belonging to an organization is a major crime.  Major crimes are actively pursued and punished.  All characters belong to at least 2 organizations.)   I just don't see it working in more traditional settings.

I would vote '1 Character, 1 Guild' and probably will next time I visit their site.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• BlinkennBlinkenn TNPosts: 120Member Uncommon

Oh look another RT response, muliple guilds you say? /yawn

• hayes303hayes303 Edmonton, ABPosts: 369Member Uncommon
    No matter the functionality in game, I would imagine end game raiding guilds will demand you only love them.
  • Pseudonym84Pseudonym84 DerbyPosts: 4Member

Can't say I'm a huge fan of a multiple Guild system. I've seen it done before and it takes away the commitment value; as it would out in the real world for example; a football player playing for multiple teams or someone from SoE also working on the side for Blizzard and Bethesda.

There is a real value in loyalty that will be lost here. Now it isn't a big deal about which guild you chose, because you can join them all if you want.

Giving us the option to join multiple Guilds turns Guilds into nothing more than glorified chat channels.