Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be instant travel in this game?

seraphddseraphdd Member Posts: 22

For instance will  the looking for group thing teleport you from town to the dungeon? 

That is one of the dumbest features in a MMO.  Wow pvp was actually pretty fun until flying mounts and instant teleporting to the dungeon happened.  Why play or make an mmo where you teleport from town to the dungeon?   Might as well make a game like guildwars 1 where everyone sits in a lobby and you teleport to the dungeon.  That is basically what WOW became ever since blizzard added the crappy LFG tool. 

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by seraphdd

For instance will  the looking for group thing teleport you from town to the dungeon? 

That is one of the dumbest features in a MMO.  Wow pvp was actually pretty fun until flying mounts and instant teleporting to the dungeon happened.  Why play or make an mmo where you teleport from town to the dungeon?   Might as well make a game like guildwars 1 where everyone sits in a lobby and you teleport to the dungeon.  That is basically what WOW became ever since blizzard added the crappy LFG tool. 

YEAH! Get this UO crap out of our games! RAWR!!!!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by seraphdd  Why play or make an mmo where you teleport from town to the dungeon?   Might as well make a game like guildwars 1 where everyone sits in a lobby and you teleport to the dungeon. 

that's not how it works in GW1

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611
    No joke...I enjoy the 1 hr walk to the dungeon and 1 hr back to town! GAH!

Uhh... what?

• seraphddseraphdd Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Originally posted by seraphdd  Why play or make an mmo where you teleport from town to the dungeon?   Might as well make a game like guildwars 1 where everyone sits in a lobby and you teleport to the dungeon. 

Yes it is... There is one lobby and you get group up and join a instance.

Originally posted by Auzy

Then why do you play mmos?  Why not play diablo or something.  I'm not saying no instant travel maybe a few spots to go from one side of the world to the next.  But you should atleast have to run from town to the dungeon.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Well "you group up and join an instance" may be technically true since all adventure zones in Guild Wars are instanced to a single party, but good luck "instant travelling" to Catacombs of Kathandrax, Slavers' Exile, Rragar's Menagerie, Oola's Lab, Arachni's Haunt, Darkrime Delves, Frostmaw's Burrows, Ooze pit, Bogroot Growths, Bloodstone Caves . . . even the "dungeons" that are directly accessible from towns / outposts are spread out across eight or so different outposts, 1 or 2 accessible from each (Underworld / Fissure of Woe from Temple of Ages, Zin Ku Corridor, Chantry of Secrets; Deep from Cavalon, Urgoz's Warren from House Zu Heltzer, DoA from Gate of Anguish, &c., &c.). So, no, there isn't "one lobby."

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

What are you gaining by retreading the same path dozens of times?

Does the scenery get better? Will you decide to do something else and ditch your group? Maybe avoid dungeons with a very long travel time? Spend some quality time with your mount shaped speed buff?

Originally posted by dancingstar

Well "you group up and join an instance" may be technically true since all adventure zones in Guild Wars are instanced to a single party, but good luck "instant travelling" to Catacombs of Kathandrax, Slavers' Exile, Rragar's Menagerie, Oola's Lab, Arachni's Haunt, Darkrime Delves, Frostmaw's Burrows, Ooze pit, Bogroot Growths, Bloodstone Caves . . . even the "dungeons" that are directly accessible from towns / outposts are spread out across eight or so different outposts, 1 or 2 accessible from each (Underworld / Fissure of Woe from Temple of Ages, Zin Ku Corridor, Chantry of Secrets; Deep from Cavalon, Urgoz's Warren from House Zu Heltzer, DoA from Gate of Anguish, &c., &c.). So, no, there isn't "one lobby."

Fine guild wars was not the BEST example but I think you get the point.  Why even play a MASSIVE game if your just gonna sit in town and teleport to the instanced zone.  Why create the zones just make a game where people jerk each other off in town and zap right to the instance.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

UO did not have instances where you where safe from other player contact so your post is irrelevant.  I don't mean you can't have some sort of gateways in certain places of the maps to get to other select few places, but, just sitting in town and getting ported right to the instance takes away alot the reason to play a mmo.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Mechanism

What are you gaining by retreading the same path dozens of times?

Does the scenery get better? Will you decide to do something else and ditch your group? Maybe avoid dungeons with a very long travel time? Spend some quality time with your mount shaped speed buff?

World stability. I don't really understand why people like you play MMO's, tbh. There are plenty of games that just provide content and little else, without other players, no less. MMO's are about logistical elements, travel is a huge part of that, if you remove travel, you remove a huge chunk of the logistical planning that typically factors in, and the world feels unreal when you can just hop around everywhere.

Removing the logistical element reduces player friction significantly, I shouldn't have to explain why this is a bad thing for an MMO.

Originally posted by Auzy

15 minutes*

So hard. Whose silly idea was it to meet and spend time with people in MMO's, anyway?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Why do people think that an MMO has to be a world? It most certainly does not.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by immodium

Typical of the "I want it now" Instant gratification mentality that plagues modern MMO's...

Developers don't need to make these huge elaborate games now... They just need a large lobby, with things like dungeon finder, auction house and MOBA style game play arenas/battle grounds...

Oh and everyone is instantly max lvl... so the begging of the game is the "End Game"

This new generation fails on so many levels...

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Best response in thread, IMO.

@OP: Do you really hate teleporting...? Or do you actually just hate the dungeon finder and similar features? Because they're two different things

Originally posted by Wighty

Typical of the "I want it now" Instant gratification mentality that plagues modern MMO's...

Developers don't need to make these huge elaborate games now... They just need a large lobby, with things like dungeon finder, auction house and MOBA style game play arenas/battle grounds...

Oh and everyone is instantly max lvl... so the begging of the game is the "End Game"

Course they can still make huge elaborate games. Your talking worlds though. Completely different.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I dunno, I guess I was spoiled with the early Mmorpg's where there was more to do than gear grind. The worlds felt like living, breathing  worlds, full of life, full of adventuring, exploring, meaningful crafting whether it was armor/weapons, furniture, housing accessories......not this mediocre, chopped up zones and instancing, with dull lifeless worlds, we see in today's wanna-be, so called Mmo's.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by The1ceQueen

I dunno, I guess I was spoiled with the early Mmorpg's where there was more to do than gear grind. The worlds felt like living, breathing  worlds, full of life, full of adventuring, exploring, meaningful crafting whether it was armor/weapons, furniture, housing accessories......not this mediocre, chopped up zones and instancing, with dull lifeless worlds, we see in today's wanna-be, so called Mmo's.

I could totally understand your point if your playing solo maybe. However, when I play with "friends" I don't really care how "closed off" the actual zones are as I'm having fun with "friends". :)

EDIT: Sometimes I wonder if players want developers to just work on "Earth 2". In our lifetime? Fingers crossed. :)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I could totally understand your point if your playing solo maybe. However, when I play with "friends" I don't really care how "closed off" the actual zones are as I'm having fun with "friends". :)

EDIT: Sometimes I wonder if players want developers to just work on "Earth 2". In our lifetime? Fingers crossed. :)

I think most of the peeps come here to complain coz it's cool to hate shit.   Secretly at home they play Hello Kitty Online and love it.....while watching my little pony reruns.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by rygard49

Best response in thread, IMO.

@OP: Do you really hate teleporting...? Or do you actually just hate the dungeon finder and similar features? Because they're two different things

Your best post is a post that has no merit since UO did not have instances it did not break the game by having instant travel to the PVE content since you could not hide in the instance.  Since you can't read I re-post what I wrote about UO.

UO did not have instances where you where safe from other player contact so your post is irrelevant.  I don't mean you can't have some sort of gateways in certain places of the maps to get to other select few places, but, just sitting in town and getting ported right to the instance takes away alot the reason to play a mmo.

Originally posted by apocoluster

I think most of the peeps come here to complain coz it's cool to hate shit.   Secretly at home they play Hello Kitty Online and love it.....while watching my little pony reruns.  

What the hell are you talking about?  If you are going to argue for or against a point atleast provide an argument. 

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Moba games or Diablo like games -> that way ;)

I am guessing you did not play any other mmo besides WOW or you only like PVE.   I'm also guessing you did not play vanhilla wow either.  With out group finder the wow world was actually used.  It was an adventure to get to the dungeon you wanted to clear.  Now in wow people sit around in the city and just teleport to the zone clear it and go back to the city.  That is not how a mmo should be played in my opinion.  There is little difference in a mmo game with a dungeon finder and a rpg game that has a lobbies.  Also I never said no dungeon finder.  There should be a dungeon finder that groups you together but you have to make it to the actual dungeon.

But you should not say people want earth 2.  I mean with that logic why even have game worlds?  Why not only make rpgs?

Originally posted by Wighty

I don't get this post.  You seem to be agreeing that there should not be instant travel to dungeons, but yet you seem to be agreeing with the guy you quoted who seems to think instant travel is fine.  He says you don't need worlds yet you say how bad the games are becoming with shared lobbies and no worlds(which I agree with and that's what something like a instant teleport dungeon finder does).

• MatryoshkaMatryoshka Member UncommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by Mechanism What are you gaining by retreading the same path dozens of times? Does the scenery get better? Will you decide to do something else and ditch your group? Maybe avoid dungeons with a very long travel time? Spend some quality time with your mount shaped speed buff?

Passing by other players and interacting with them in an open massive world.

• MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143

It's not like traveling will end if you can port to instances, they want you to explore and run around anyway for dozens of other reasons.

Also remember this game has 40 person raids. These things are a nightmare to get moving and being able to zap to the entrance quickly could potentially shave hours off of a big raiding night that might otherwise be spent waiting for people to show up, getting replacements when someone leaves every 1/2 hour or moving everyone to the next place.

Is it so wrong to like raiding and not care about who is schlepping around to instances?

Originally posted by Mechanism

It's not like traveling will end if you can port to instances, they want you to explore and run around anyway for dozens of other reasons.

Also remember this game has 40 person raids. These things are a nightmare to get moving and being able to zap to the entrance quickly could potentially shave hours off of a big raiding night that might otherwise be spent waiting for people to show up, getting replacements when someone leaves every 1/2 hour or moving everyone to the next place.

Is it so wrong to like raiding and not care about who is schlepping around to instances?

Yes it does once you hit max level.  In wow people sit in the cities all day and just que LFG.