Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Neverwinter: The Ranger We've Been Waiting For

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It comes as no surprise to most that the first new class to be added to Cryptic's Neverwinter is the much asked-for Ranger. We had the opportunity to check out the Ranger and to talk with Andy Velasquez about Chapter 2: Shadowmantle. See what we found out before heading to the comments.

Probably the most amazing thing about the ability of Rangers to switch between ranged and melee is that skills do not share cool down. When Andy was playing, he would start combat with a ranged attack and, as monsters neared, he would switch to melee. All skills were active on the switch.  Utilizing the Marauder's Escape skill would send him back a short distance but could be utilized again if needed to gain distance, switch skills back to ranged. As monsters closed the distance again, he switched back to melee and BOOM! No cool downs. It's like an endless chain of active skills without the nail-biting wait for skills to reactivate.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Neverwinter: The Ranger We've Been Waiting For.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    To make a combat this game needs to push a new class every month..  And add moredepth and active skills to the combat

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Sweeeeet

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    I may actually give Neverwinter another try...

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    This game would have done much better if they had Ranger at release and multiple paragon paths.  I might have to return for the Ranger, since that's what I play in DnD, and that's what I wanted to play in Neverwinter.  I was disappointed when the wasn't a Ranger at launch.
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    So tempting yet the cash shop prices keep me away. Until that's changed I won't be back. Too pricey.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Tygranir
    I may actually give Neverwinter another try...

Neverwinter was wierd for me...I dont think I even played an hour before deleting it and I cant even remember why lol.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Agree. Will look again now now that I have ranger to choose. Do we know if I can move while shooting bow? Or am I rooted?

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    This game would have done much better if they had Ranger at release and multiple paragon paths.  I might have to return for the Ranger, since that's what I play in DnD, and that's what I wanted to play in Neverwinter.  I was disappointed when the wasn't a Ranger at launch.

So very much this. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Oh goody, I was just thinking that there weren't enough people running around with variations on the name 'Drizzt Do'Urden' on the internet, and especially in this game. Glad to see our future Chinese overlords at Perfect World International have that situation well in hand.

/sarcasm

/sigh

I might... and I stress might... take another look at this game if they release the bard class. Until then, thanks but no thanks.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There is something magical about this game.

The graphics once used to pull you into a magical world.

If you can look past the small zones and dont mind the few buttons that each class have you can have alot of fun in Neverwinter.

I am leveling a few classes to see what suits me best, any news on when the ranger class is going Live SBFord ? :)

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

Oh goody, I was just thinking that there weren't enough people running around with variations on the name 'Drizzt Do'Urden' on the internet, and especially in this game. Glad to see our future Chinese overlords at Perfect World International have that situation well in hand.

/sarcasm

/sigh

I might... and I stress might... take another look at this game if they release the bard class. Until then, thanks but no thanks.

I'm waiting for Paladin to really sit down and play this game, but I always liked Ranger as a class as well. I'm re-downloading this game now to get ready to try this class out.

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by Mothanos

There is something magical about this game.

The graphics once used to pull you into a magical world.

If you can look past the small zones and dont mind the few buttons that each class have you can have alot of fun in Neverwinter.

I am leveling a few classes to see what suits me best, any news on when the ranger class is going Live SBFord ? :)

I've been looking all over. It's just a preview, they said at least by the end of the year on a few interviews.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Ah thanks for the intel was hoping a little sooner, but enough stuff to do in the meantime.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Too bad it isn't the D&D game anyone was waiting for....

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

i agree.  i think that with the sheer volume this of 20+ years of stuff to draw from, 5 classes at launch was disappointing.  They need to put out many more much faster to give the game diversity.  Paladins, Black guards, arcane archers, monks,...SO many options ....

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

/sarcasm

/sigh

Given that it's a Forgotten Realms game  by Wizards of the Coast, custodians of D&D...what did you expect? O.o It's not like PWE decided to just make something like this up. :|

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

I had a lot of fun getting my Cleric to max level and earning the purple armor set for him. But I didn't feel like running the end game (at that time) dungeons over and over again to get my weapon glowing. So once I did that I haven't been on much.

I really liked the action combat and quickness of it. Some of the player built quests were a lot of fun. There was one called Agent 34 or something like that which was hilarious.

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Can't wait to play the Ranger class and see what they do with the new Paragon paths.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Agreed.  I don't care for the ranger class, actually was looking forward to the warlock class and could give a rats ass about the huntard class.  They should have first got some multiple paragon paths done first rather than the huntard or any class done.  One of the biggest complaints is how the classes were so static and single playstyle.  Adding some paragon paths would allow some different playstyles for classes which the game desperately needs.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Or 2 classes every 3 months would seem reasonable to me. And they need to have more than one Paragon path when they release them. Even now, they're only addiing one additional Paragon path per class. Their character build system needs a revamp. Having to pay AD to rebuild your character every time you want to try something new is ridiculous to me.  Having to keep a test system install as a means to try out and plan builds is similarly absurd.

Can you imagine the sheer amount of bitching and headaches this pace would cause as far as PvE balance goes? This doesn't even include thinking  about the balancing of PvP classes and the copious amount of whining each new class would bring to the table.  I'd rather 1 class ever 3-6 months with significant improvements to existing classes. 

Yes, rogues, I'm looking at YOU for da nerf bat!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• rvhausenrvhausen Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by SBFord

...Wizards of the Coast, originators of D&D...

TSR actually :)

Originally posted by rvhausen
    Originally posted by SBFord

...Wizards of the Coast, originators of D&D...

TSR actually :)

Custodians better? :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Will you be playing the Ranger? - if they won't have Arc by then, of course I will.

Collecting artifacts?  - depending on the grind factor, it sounds like LI in LotRO and that's the only part I dislike there...

Exploring new Paragon Paths for your existing characters?  - new builds to goofing with? Hell yea :)

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Yawn. Rangers are boring, they exist pretty much the same form in every game. They tend to be overpowered by default virtue of simply being ranged and able to pick off enemies at a distance with little risk. They also attract the worst kind of player from PvP genres. You know the kind of player who tries to turn every MMO into counterstrike as they shoot their bow like it is a machine gun faster than you can say BOOM head shot.

This is a Dungeons and Dragons franchise we are talking about here. There are so many more well developed and interesting classes from that universe. They pick ranger? That is what I call a sell out. Got to copy and be like every other game. The most famous ranger in Forgotten Realms didn't even use a bow. Dizzit Do'urden was a Two-Blade ranger. Go read the books there are 20 novels about this one character alone. In the D&D rule book the archer ranger is a subclass of fighter that specializes in bows and archery. Neverwinter is making it its' own special class to appease the generic MMO fans.

They should have went with something like Monk or Barbarian.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Even without this class I still loved this game. I just couldn't take the pricing of items. Their cash shop literally killed the game for me.