Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LoL is way more popular than WoW

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by lizardbones

It doesn't matter if it's peak concurrent users, users per minute, or active users per month. LoL has more players than WoW.

Some part of this has to be the F2P nature of the game. Players can log in and play whenever they want. However, it can't be all of it. There are alternatives to playing LoL, and some of them are free, and LoL still dominates in terms of numbers.

I think the point of this thread is that we can expect things in the future to look something like LoL, even in MMORPGs because LoL has shown itself to be a major success and is doing something right.

Yeah .. and the question is what is LoL doing right?

My take is that it is a focus pvp arena game, that is convenient and focus on only one thing. Now it is certainly not the only one, but may be it is doing it better. Incidentally WoT is also of the same principle (just do one thing very well, and not worry about having a world) and it is also more popular than WoW.

The question (that i am interested in) is whether the same can be done for pve.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

My take is that it is a focus pvp arena game, that is convenient and focus on only one thing. Now it is certainly not the only one, but may be it is doing it better. Incidentally WoT is also of the same principle (just do one thing very well, and not worry about having a world) and it is also more popular than WoW.

There was an article that said the players who only engage in 'vs Bot' was rising in LoL.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

There was an article that said the players who only engage in 'vs Bot' was rising in LoL.

Interesting .. i wonder if there is any new angle to pve in a LoL style game beyond the Diablo type ARPGs.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Dontneed

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

70M registered users. Well, you say, do they actually play the game?

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

And obviously LoL e-sport is big.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

Anyone knows what is the average spent of a LoL user?

LoL and WoW are both great games, except that they give kids wrong impression in kid's early stage development to make kids think as if those games deserve respect from real society and they are something like serious business, so the kids grow up totally disfigured adult and ruin their lives eventually. They do this to make kids to grow up as adults who think they become better when they buy/achieve some kind of things in such games (usually called 'achievement' or 'emblem' or 'medal' or something.) they become 'better' person. So the kids stick to the game and spend a few more bucks on those 'medals' so the developers, investors, and the companies can survive on kid's allowances.

Oh, and plus, LoL makes all players very rude, ignorant garbages who insult, whine, blame on the faceless people who they just met on random games for everything that goes wrong including their own faults. And this game gives kids a very wrong indication that such behavior is part of 'sportmanship', so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports. Although everyone knows that in real sports, LOL behavior is not allowed, somehow kids still think this is some kind of sports. This is all adult's fault. Basically this is system failure of the society.

Other than that, LoL and WoW are both great games. Yeah.

I don't play LoL a lot, in fact I can't remember the last time I played it but to be fair  all games have a tendency to make some people rude and it's a bit ignorant to say a game makes [all] players very rude, which is a bit of a contradiction, actually a few other points seem contradicting but eh well. 

As a human I could be wrong and made a mistake but eh it's the part of learning and living life.

Edited: I'll go out my way to say that this page has some interesting and wee bit of amusing posts on it.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by RizelStar

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/18/league-of-legends-infographic-highlights-eye-popping-numbers

32.5M daily active users. That is almost half of the 70M register users play daily. That is almost 4x wow's sub numbers, and not every sub player play wow everyday.

1.3B hours played a month. Divided by 70M. On average each register user plays 18.6 hours a month.

The only question is ... whether LoL is making more money than WoW? Since the daily active users is like 4x of the wow sub number, you only need each person (active daily ones, not register user) to spend like $3.75 a month to beat wow's sub revenue.

LoL and WoW are both great games, except that they give kids wrong impression in kid's early stage development to make kids think as if those games deserve respect from real society and they are something like serious business, so the kids grow up totally disfigured adult and ruin their lives eventually. They do this to make kids to grow up as adults who think they become better when they buy/achieve some kind of things in such games (usually called 'achievement' or 'emblem' or 'medal' or something.) they become 'better' person. So the kids stick to the game and spend a few more bucks on those 'medals' so the developers, investors, and the companies can survive on kid's allowances.

Oh, and plus, LoL makes all players very rude, ignorant garbages who insult, whine, blame on the faceless people who they just met on random games for everything that goes wrong including their own faults. And this game gives kids a very wrong indication that such behavior is part of 'sportmanship', so eventually make kids think as if  'esports' is same as real sports. Although everyone knows that in real sports, LOL behavior is not allowed, somehow kids still think this is some kind of sports. This is all adult's fault. Basically this is system failure of the society.

I don't play LoL a lot, in fact I can't remember the last time I played it but to be fair  all games have a tendency to make some people rude and it's a bit ignorant to say a game makes [all] players very rude, which is a bit of a contradiction, actually a few other points seem contradicting but eh well. 

As a human I could be wrong and made a mistake but eh it's the part of learning and living life.

Go play a ranked game. In my experience the community has gotten even worse than it used to be. I feel lucky if I can go one game without someone being incredibly rude and offensive.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by CowboyHat
    Originally posted by RizelStar

Go play a ranked game. In my experience the community has gotten even worse than it used to be. I feel lucky if I can go one game without someone being incredibly rude and offensive.

I mean but that's in your experience mate, I have had games  where it that isn't the case, and let's be honest  here, out of all the people who play LoL we know for a fcat not all of them are very rude just from the game itself.

I think what you are talking about, are elitist or delusional  know it all veterans in the game, as to the way I read it, is that if someone is a fan of the game or plays it a lot then they'll become rude eventually.

You speaking off experience doesn't mean it's everyone, it's just that you had bad luck and experience. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Originally posted by Ginaz

Please, pressing keys really fast doesn't make you an athlete.  I enjoy watching e-sports but I'll never see any of it as a real sport.  How about guys talk can talk really fast?  How about people who are really good at Candy Crush?  Are they athletes, too?  Good lord.image

As I said before, just because someone decided to call it "e-SPORTS" doesn't mean its a real sport.  If you think it is, then fill your boots, just don't hold your breath expecting the rest of the world to regard it in the same way.

I love how everyone of you guys think eSport is just about pressing key fast and sitting in front of a computer... It could be a real sport if people like you would stop thinking like you're doing atm. If you only knew what is considered a "sport" these days maybe you'll understand what I mean. You should go ahead and inform yourself a little bit.

So when can I expect to see you in the Olympics? Talk is cheap. Its easy to say it only takes dedication, but that isn't the case for most of the sports you listed. I'm willing to wager you have never tried any of the things you listed. Esports essentially comes down to pressing keys on a key board while sitting down in an air conditioned building staring at a computer screen. Anyone who thinks that sounds demanding on the human body needs help.

Guess what, bowling only comes down to throwing a ball on an alley ever few minutes in an air conditioned building. Archery only comes down to aiming a target with a bow and arrow. Your argument doesn't make any sense. Anyone who thinks eSport isn't demanding on the body clearly know nothing about it. Go ahead and ask pro players how they feel after  hours of nearly non-stop gaming. I've done it a few times and it is exhausting. You just can handle it better if you're healthy and in shape, just like a sport.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Every one of those sports "bowling, curling, archery, fencing, shooting..." has a signficant physical component, unlike esports.  Every single one of those players likely also stay in shape.  Staying in shape has the exact same significant as the e-sports on cognitiveand physical abilities as the e-sport and the sport itself demands greater physical shape than the e-sport.

The demands of the sport itself are what makes someone an athlete, not necessarily what they do to help with that. 

So yes all those sports you mentioned are more deserving than any esport athlete.   Every single one requires more from the human body than any physical stressor involved in e-sport.

Yeah a significant physical component that even some people over 50 can do.... If that's what you call significant, then we have a very different definition of that word. I fail to see how someone doing a small effort for 2 seconds every few minutes could be more deserving than someone who is using his speed and brain for hours and hours. Sure some of the sport I've listed contain more physical component than others but some are really a joke if you ask me. If you can call bowling a real sport, you can call eSport a real sport too.

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Please, pressing keys really fast doesn't make you an athlete.  I enjoy watching e-sports but I'll never see any of it as a real sport.  How about guys talk can talk really fast?  How about people who are really good at Candy Crush?  Are they athletes, too?  Good lord.image

As I said before, just because someone decided to call it "e-SPORTS" doesn't mean its a real sport.  If you think it is, then fill your boots, just don't hold your breath expecting the rest of the world to regard it in the same way.

I love how everyone of you guys think eSport is just about pressing key fast and sitting in front of a computer... It could be a real sport if people like you would stop thinking like you're doing atm. If you only knew what is considered a "sport" these days maybe you'll understand what I mean. You should go ahead and inform yourself a little bit.

So when can I expect to see you in the Olympics? Talk is cheap. Its easy to say it only takes dedication, but that isn't the case for most of the sports you listed. I'm willing to wager you have never tried any of the things you listed. Esports essentially comes down to pressing keys on a key board while sitting down in an air conditioned building staring at a computer screen. Anyone who thinks that sounds demanding on the human body needs help.

Guess what, bowling only comes down to throwing a ball on an alley ever few minutes in an air conditioned building. Archery only comes down to aiming a target with a bow and arrow. Your argument doesn't make any sense. Anyone who thinks eSport isn't demanding on the body clearly know nothing about it. Go ahead and ask pro players how they feel after  hours of nearly non-stop gaming. I've done it a few times and it is exhausting. You just can handle it better if you're healthy and in shape, just like a sport.

Every one of those sports "bowling, curling, archery, fencing, shooting..." has a signficant physical component, unlike esports.  Every single one of those players likely also stay in shape.  Staying in shape has the exact same significant as the e-sports on cognitiveand physical abilities as the e-sport and the sport itself demands greater physical shape than the e-sport.

The demands of the sport itself are what makes someone an athlete, not necessarily what they do to help with that. 

So yes all those sports you mentioned are more deserving than any esport athlete.   Every single one requires more from the human body than any physical stressor involved in e-sport.

Yeah a significant physical component that even some people over 50 can do.... If that's what you call significant, then we have a very different definition of that word. I fail to see how someone doing a small effort for 2 seconds every few minutes could be more deserving than someone who is using his speed and brain for hours and hours. Sure some of the sport I've listed contain more physical component than others but some are really a joke if you ask me. If you can call bowling a real sport, you can call eSport a real sport too.

Drawing back and aiming a bow is more difficult than you would think. Bowling is about precision with a weighted ball with little forgiveness for error. At least it requires more movement than esports. As for esports... Sitting down and moving fingers is hard? Please tell me how it is physically demanding? Seem a lot of you know something the rest of the world doesn't about the hardships of esports.

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by SirFubar

If thats all that you think bowling and archery is you have never done them.  Bowling involves significant stress on the quadriceps, hamstrings and particular the glute muscles of the supporting leg.  Then there is the form that must be maintained and perfect and of course all the actual skill involved in hitting the pins just the way you want them to.  And of course the ability to repeatedly lift that 10 - 14 lb ball and throw it.  Most people that are unconditioned will get significant pain and stiffness in the butt for days afterwards from just a half hour of bowling. 

Archery involves a great deal, a ton actually of control, breathing, form, concentration and strength in the arm shoulder, rotator cuff, lat dorsi, trapezius and rhomboids.  Drawing a bow with 35 lb draw for hours and hours every day to train is brutally hard, and that is just a beginner bow.  Get to higher levels and there are 50, 75, even 150 lb draw.  It does take a great deal of strength, and endurance and control to draw continuously, hold the form to prep the shot and make the shot, let alone making it with any accuracy.  Not to mention the sheer skill of actually being accurate with a bow.

Both those sports involve actual physical stress on the body.  E-sport does not have anything like that.  E-sport may have stress from sustained sitting - everyone in an office gets that.  E-sport may have physical stresses from psychological effects of stress and the exhaustion that comes from stress, so does training for bowling and archery plus the actual physical stress of the sport itself.

Are you saying that just because someone is 50 they cant do physical sports?  That is a weird and totally unsupported position.  50 years and run marathons, ultra marathons, body build, lift hundreds of pounds in weights.  No they cannot do it more than they did in their 20's and 30's (assuming they were consistant with training, or not training, just consistant) but they can still be extremely physical. 

The competition may be only a few seconds of intense physical effort, but the training for that is tens of thousands of hours of even more intense physical effort, actually competing in the sport.  That physical effort that e-sport doesn't have.

I know you will say that e-sport athletes need to go to the gym to stay in shape.  Well so do the top bowlers and top archers... on top of the thousands of hours of physical effort actually at their sport.

There is no comparison between the physical effort needed in any physical sport and the physical effort required for an e-sport. 

edit - I don't really object to classifying e-sports as a sport.  A sport does not necessarily involve physicality, just competition, a game with rules.  I don't really object to calling them athletes either on the basis that the participants in sport are called athletes.  I would like to say an athlete needs to be involved in a physical sport of some kind, but thats just my bias, my preference, not actually reality.

However there really is a huge difference in the physical requirements between an e-sport and any physical sport. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Chess is a sport.

Chess

Requires less movement than LoL.

Also guys who talk really fast have a sport too, it's called.......wait for it....

Debate!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

1. World of Tanks is way more popular than WoW

2. DOTA 2 is way more popular than WoW

3. LoL is way more popular than WoW

Very old news

These guys work out by drinking a lot of alcohol and sleeping with a lot of dancing girls.

Poker

But try to tell them they what they do is not a sport just because it doesn't meet some caveman philosophy of some kind of physical requirement.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

And only 10% of the community is trolls out of 70 million? I think riot said this.

.You can get banned for refusing to play (X) Role in game.

.You can get banned for breaking Meta by saying you are not going to play (X) role in a game in team chat.

But you cant get banned if you.

.Champion Select Troll

.Refuse to play (X) Role pre-game but don't say anything in team chat in game.

.Passively feed early game make it look like you had a bad game just so enemy gets upper advantage and kills others.

League is a fun game but very stressing because of these factors.

Worst of all Riot says breaking meta isn't ban offense or not playing (X) Role, Yet riot allows Tribunal to punish for this but says its not punish offense because they are dumb.

• Anoebis.beAnoebis.be Member Posts: 62

Honestly, who cares? World of Warcraft != LoL and thank god it is not or I would have quit ages ago.

Sometimes I can get pretty furious on some of the members of the WoW community but they don`t even come close to the cesspool that is LoL and I choose to stay as far away from it as possible.

Finally, I agree that esport players are not athletes as an athlete is defined, but as not all sports require an athlete, you guys are just arguing about the marketing guys poor use of grammar and attempt at using a better word than just "player", even though a there is no shame in being called a Chess, poker, or even Pool "player". 

And I am most surprised that the OP of this string didn't correct you ,as he is quite good at that kind of thing I hear.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Although i am a pvper (and "socializer") in mmos, i never played a moba in my life! :/

I am downloading LoL right now. The marketing i saw was overwhelming and i need to try it.  :)

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351

32.5M daily active users.

You must have misunderstood the data, because this is not true.

For starters, that would mean that 50% of registered users play every single day. No game, no matter how popular, will ever achieve such a feat unless that game is "Living Life and not playing a video game." Even then, it is not 100% because of death. Especially if you consider anyone who has ever existed a "registered user".

32.5 daily active users, means that next to no one has a second or third or fourth account. I'm sorry, but everyone I have ever played with has registered at MINIMUM 2-3 accounts. This would mean that smurfs don't exist.

Someone is obviously lying. I'm not sure if it's the OP who is misinformed, the source which can't do basic math, or LoL lying through its teeth.

Originally posted by maccarthur2004

Although i am a pvper (and "socializer") in mmos, i never played a moba in my life! :/

I am downloading LoL right now. The marketing i saw was overwhelming and i need to try it.  :)

There is little reason not to try LoL, or WoT .. they are all F2P. I don't like LoL after i tried it but i cannot deny its success.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

[mod edit]

As someone who did point this out we need to be fair here, someone posted specifically how these numbers were inaccurate pretty early in the thread. LoL very well might be more popoular than WoW but since one is free and one isn't and they are completely different genres I still fail to see how it matters in any way.

• Hero001Hero001 Member UncommonPosts: 18

While playing a semi popular mmorg in pvp mode, you see the following system message,

DUN BALDAR NORTH BUNKER HAS BEEN DESTROYED!

THE HORDE ARE NOW SPAWNING SUPER MINIONS!

• Hero001Hero001 Member UncommonPosts: 18

....mmorpg died...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Oh Pardon me, I was looking for the "Scarlet Blade is more popular than WoW" thread......
    Originally posted by Hero001

....mmorpg died...

yeah .. and rebirth as a bigger, more inclusive MMO genre that have MOBAs, online ARPGs, and new design like Destiny.

It is a good thing to me.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

How does this thread have 19 pages of comments?  My only thought after reading the thread title was 'who cares'

So is Call of Duty.  So is Candy Crush.

MMORPG is not the most popular genre of game, this isnt news.