Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ff 14 arr or gw2

huihuhuhu2huihuhuhu2 Member UncommonPosts: 46
bored bored bored..cannot decide between ff 14 arr or gw2..can someone please tell me the pros and cons of both and which is better..ty

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    What is important for you in a game?    
  • huihuhuhu2huihuhuhu2 Member UncommonPosts: 46

i like a little pvp but pve is what i like the most..i played ff 14 since launch but i keep feeling there is something missing

• I'll be honest - FFXIV is currently lacking in the end game department as it is a new game and only been out two months, but there IS endgame. Content patches and expansions are planned though. GW2, on the other hand, has no planned expansions and the content that periodically comes out just isn't up to par with progressive raiding, imo. GW2 still has no progressive end game after over a year. The two games are similar actually in the leveling/storyline department. PVP is currently not in FFXIV though it is planned. PVP in GW2 is only fun in WvW, also my opinion. I probably won't do pvp in FFXIV, so you'll have to come back once it's released. 
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

GW2 now, then try FF:ARR in about 4-6 mo after some content patches.

GW2 and TSW are always good to have on your hard drive. I personally love GW2, but even objectively, you're going to be hard pressed to find a better value and content creation rate (I like most of the content that comes out, others don't).

FF:ARR seems great, but you'd also be paying monthly during periods where there AREN'T any content updates, which is why I would stick to GW2 for the first couple of months.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure you find a guild, and make your own fun.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Both are really fun & good games worth the price of the box but dont expect to be around any longer than a month or 2 at best with either .the shiny new game feel wears off very fast. Im going to say if you are more of a traditionalist when it comes to MMO's ie...Grinding and defined roles (dps-tank-healer) go with FF ARR . If you enjoy more of a laid back expirience with a much MUCH larger open world and no defined class roles than go with Guild wars2
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Jmvx1989Jmvx1989 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Eh if your looking for soemthing thats actually competetive SPVP is fun but you'd have to acutalyl try to form a team or join a team once your good enough.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Just want to add both games are gorgous when it comes to graphicss. Without question the two nicest looking MMO's on the market, enjoy!
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It just so happens that they are having a sale for GW2 today for $29.99 USD.  $30 for the game and indefinite play time plus content updates every two weeks is not to shabby.  Though if you like trinity, quest hubs, raiding, and gear grind then GW2 is not your game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Actually I really cant stick up for ether one. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one I would go with GW2.

FF14 is VERY VERY week in content......Normally I would say the hardcore players play too much and rush to end game and its them and not the game. But YOU BETTER LIKE CRAFTING, crafting is the filler of content.....Infact I've never played any mmo where crafting had to be done until I played FF14 except Darkfall.

The game was rushed out the door, if you do manage to not craft, You will have to do hundreds of Fiats ( dynamic events ). You must do your story line your first time around or you will not unlock your mount, Airship for travel, and dungeons. Players will tell you the story line is great....I say bull crap...Your story line will have you running from Continent to Continent to turn in the most simplest of things.

I think my breaking point was when I got this quest to find three boxes. I opened my map to find it with the built in quest tracker and could not find it. I like what, where is it ? is this a bug ?.......Well, the three boxes were at my feet in front of the quest giver. Yes, right in front of me. All I had to do is except the quest, hit the three boxes and turn it in....How shallow it that !!!!

Now that I think about it......GW2 is a better choice !!!!!!  

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    personally, I like neither. Good luck.

^this

try Age of Conan

Originally posted by thunderC
    Without question the two nicest looking MMO's on the market, enjoy!

really? show me something nicer than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00dHRBaX-f0&hd=1

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    GW2, you may revisit FF somewhwere in the future like year or two.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    The only difference between GW2 and all of the F2P games out there is that you have to buy GW2. Just save your money and play LotRO or Aion if you aren't concerned with quality. Other than that I'd go with FFXIV: ARR simply because it has a future.
  • huihuhuhu2huihuhuhu2 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    ty all for the replies..it has been very beneficial..think i'll try going back to gw2 due to larger world,more content,and immersive combat.. i still have a place in my heart for ff 14 just dont think it's ready yet...gw2 makes me feel like i am in a huge world,ff makes me feel the opposite..again ty all
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by tommygunzII
    The only difference between GW2 and all of the F2P games out there is that you have to buy GW2. Just save your money and play LotRO or Aion if you aren't concerned with quality. Other than that I'd go with FFXIV: ARR simply because it has a future.

And the fact that the quality of the game is a billion times higher. GW2 is one of the few games that can rival WoW in terms of pure quality of gameplay. The smoothness of the combat, movement etc. I have a ton of issues with GW2 but it definitely is a step above the likes of LotRO, AION, Rift etc in quality.

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

Both are good in their own right. I have had fun with both. It took me a year to finally get burned out on GW2. Now I am having a lot of fun with FFARR.

For dungeons and questing I would suggest FFARR. I prefer the holy trinity system for dungeons. More organized imo

For PvP GW2 for sure. I still think GW2 has had the best PvP out of any mmo.

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

I would advise you to play GW2:

+ big world - exploring is fun and part of the gameplay

+open mini dungeons with puzzles and traps

+open world mobs that force grouping

+ combat is very dynamic and the best of all MMOs imo

+ WvWvW is fantastic - stil one of the best things you can do in any MMO currently

+ crafting is very comfortable

+ freedom of choice - just do what you want to

+ dynamic quests can be a great experience (although some are boring)

+ a lot of little ideas that you have think of in other MMOs millions of times ("why don't they just...?")

+ high quality and very good graphics

+ individualizing your character is fun

+ no trinity solves a lot of problems

+ no gear progression

+the B2P model with store for additional stuff that you don't need is very fair

- no gear progression turns of many "classical" MMO-players

- no trinity turns of many "classical" MMO-players

- no raiding as endgame and no clear endgame treadmill gameplay

- the solo-quest-line is the same for all races after level 30

- this game needs an expansion (but this is not your problem, if you start now)

-no Mounts

-crafting is very mainstream "wowish" and nothing compared to games like SWG or Vaguard

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

As someone who plays GW2, that review above is extremely optimistic. WvWvW is a big nasty zerg fest. I do like the combat but it won't be for everyone. The game completely lacks challenge and goes out of its way to make sure you feel like you are not progressing. Probably the game I've played where I feel like what I do matters the least of any game. "Raid mobs" scale according to numbers of players and are set at a difficulty that is easy to beat, skills are set up so it is hard for any player to stand out, WvWvW is setup to be extremely zerg friendly and very temporary etc.

Some people like that mind you, others find it leads to a very unsatisfying long term experience.

GW2 is sort of a beer and pretzels MMORPG. Something you play because you can turn your brain off and not really try and still be as successful as the next guy.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    GW2 is a great game. I had lots of fun playing it for 6 months. There is no traditional end game however. I like everything about the game but everytime I hop on I'm at a loss of what to do. I saw all sites and done every dungeon. I need some sort of goal to keep me playing.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by huihuhuhu2
    bored bored bored..cannot decide between ff 14 arr or gw2..can someone please tell me the pros and cons of both and which is better..ty
    you would be less bored if you did your own legwork ;)
  • DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

My suggestion? Play both. I do and I enjoy it quite a bit. 

Vivik-Cerberus
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

played FF for 1 month almost did all the things game have to offer

playing GW2 for a year now and they still releasing new content every 2 weeks

so you pick one :)

some ppl say that GW2 dont have "endgame" just dont listen to them

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549
    ty all for the replies..it has been very beneficial..think i'll try going back to gw2 due to larger world,more content,and immersive combat.. i still have a place in my heart for ff 14 just dont think it's ready yet...gw2 makes me feel like i am in a huge world,ff makes me feel the opposite..again ty all

Lol You all fell for a troll....

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

What is NOT truth in the post you quoted?

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Huh? so he didn't chose your precious FFXIV so he is a troll? image

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'd say FF14, but I'm bias for FF14 and I am bias against GW2. 

FF14 I feel works wonders in particularly if you are a more nostalgic gamer looking for a bit more of an 'old school' feel to the MMo, just with more modern additions. 

GW2... well I really have very little to give praise to it. I'd say of the things it does and it does pull off well, it does have a good graphic style, though FF14 has its own style which looks nice. The lack of 'loot grind' might be appealing to you. Otherwise, I find it lacking on features (at least ones giving me a reason to play) and with combat being the main focus, it suffers with the fact its combat system is subpar. You might be able to enjoy it, i personally enjoy many bad games, just if you really look at the game I don't think anyone can deny its just "decent" nothing spectacular nor nothing thats god aweful either. A 'meh' game.

I'd say if possible, wait for a trail of FF14 and wait for GW2 to do another 'free trial' deal. GW2 only takes 5 or so hours to know just how you like it (doesn't really change at all as you get higher up) and you can tell FF14 how you feel about it around level 20 once you get a primal fight. Won't be as quick to judge as GW2, but general if you notice your liking it more as you go, you probably will find you enjoy the game in the long term. 

Edit: Ah nevermind apparently he has GW2. I'd say just wait for FF14 trial then. Its the best option if you don't want to spend money on something you aren't sure of.