Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

f2p projected to be $2.5B market in 2013

1234568»

Comments

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Since WoW brought in 1 billion dollars per year from 2005 to 2012  already (and probably being close to this figure in 2013 and 2014 as well due to the upcoming expansion sales)...

It clearly shows that "unproven" and "expected "2.5 billion dollars is ... pathetiicly low for the complete industry.

What would you think if ONE book brought in 35% of ALL revenue of all books published.

Or ONE movie made 40% of the complete movie industry world wide.

We would say the book/movie industry was dead...

------

The laugh is ...: everyone is bragging about millions of accounts in this f2p world, but hardly anyone is actually paying and playing in MMO land 3 months after a new launch.

F2P is a bad thing in MMO land as the constant content updates ask too many resources to keep up the revenue flow.

F2P only works in other genres: like Dota like games (hardly content) or the real next milking cow from Blizzard: collectable card games like WoW's Hearthstone.

Hearthstone is expected to rake in 400 million dollars on a yearly basis, no newF2P MMO will even come close to 10% of that claim...

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Atis-nob

Since we are not paid to discuss games, I dont see any reason why we should care about market value of MMOs more than game features. MMOs and non-MMOs can share same market but are different as games we discuss them as different games.

Because it is fun?

• Atis-nobAtis-nob Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Since we are not paid to discuss games, I dont see any reason why we should care about market value of MMOs more than game features. MMOs and non-MMOs can share same market but are different as games we discuss them as different games.

Because it is fun?

Caring about market value of MMO is fun? Err, I knew you have very specific view on MMOs but thats surprising even for you.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Because it is fun?

Caring about market value of MMO is fun? Err, I knew you have very specific view on MMOs but thats surprising even for you.

For someone that doesn't care, you sure have a few posts - rather passionate posts - in this thread on the topic. ;) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Because it is fun?

Yes .. why is it surprising? Tons of people here discuss the business of MMORPGs every day.

• Atis-nobAtis-nob Member UncommonPosts: 98

Yes .. why is it surprising? Tons of people here discuss the business of MMORPGs every day.

Business side of MMO is usually discussed here to prove some point about some games, not for sheer amusement of money talk. This thread is all about rubbing how f2p is supposedly good for industry in faces of ppl who shittalked f2p games. Somehow I doubt that many ppl here would bother about MMO market if it wasnt a weapon in fanboy flame wars.

My point is that players should pay more attention to games themselves than to public talkers from marketing.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Dota 2 and LOL are now MMos? 

"One point of weakness might be the saturation of fantasy-based MMOs and their specific mechanics. In recent years it has been titles like League of Legends  and DotA 2 that have provided the momentum behind free-to-play MMOs. "

edit: If Dota 2 and LOL is what driving the F2P "MMOs" lol then the f2p "MMo" lol genre is in even worse shape than i thought.. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Those are MMO's, just not mmoRPG.

Well.. if those games are now considered to be MMos.. shouldn't games like BF4 also be called a MMo too?

BF4 has more players playing at the same time and it even has a subscription.