Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Such an insulting and ignorant video about PC gaming from someone who is suppose to be professional

Comments

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by Inf666

Since 2010 the revenue from PC games is higher than from consoles. Currently it is 11,6 bil $ vs 8,2 bil $ (I googled it).

Ignoring your conspiracy theory gibberish, got a link? Cause the only way that list makes sense is if you are including mobile apps and the like.

Here are three links I found by googling:

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-vs-console-gaming-infographic-pc-is-making-a-comeback-212611.phtml

http://www.gamezone.de/Umfrage-Thema-136900/News/PC-vs-Konsolen-Welches-System-macht-am-meisten-Umsatz-Lesernews-1078338/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/127259/Nvidia_PC_Game_Revenue_To_Surpass_Console_In_2014.php

They all have different numbers, but what they have in common is that PC and console gaming revenues are close in value with PC gaming on the rise.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

PC game sales were in a slump last year until D3 released

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-05-14/video-game-sales/54962962/1

ii havent followed sales since then

• Beyond_EterniaBeyond_Eternia Member UncommonPosts: 102

People are going to hate. PC gamers are the elite.

As for playing with the controller. The 360 controller works awesome with FFARR IMO. I just use the keyboard for commands.

On a side note...I just got my first job on FFARR! I have been having a blast with this game.

Time you enjoy wasting...is not wasted time
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    And yet the console kids call us "PC Elitists" pfft! There'd be no console games if it wasn't for us lot. (As the Specrum, BBC Micro, C64, Amiga and Atari aren't around no more.. shame really!). :)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Lol. So much butthurt. Whether he is a douchebag or not is immaterial, he is absolutely right. But hey guys, denigrate him and continue to believe that you magically know more.

Furthermore controllers are becoming more precise with every iteration, and they will someday match the speed and precision of a mouse.

Never, A thumb on a knob will never be as precise as a mouse period. 

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

Here are three links I found by googling:

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-vs-console-gaming-infographic-pc-is-making-a-comeback-212611.phtml

http://www.gamezone.de/Umfrage-Thema-136900/News/PC-vs-Konsolen-Welches-System-macht-am-meisten-Umsatz-Lesernews-1078338/

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/127259/Nvidia_PC_Game_Revenue_To_Surpass_Console_In_2014.php

They all have different numbers, but what they have in common is that PC and console gaming revenues are close in value with PC gaming on the rise.

This is why its important to check the references. Your first and 3rd links are both based on the same article that Nvidia posted, and also counted social games, Ie Farmville (Cityville is the one cited in the article, but it is from 2011). The middle German one comes from the PC Gaming Alliance which refuses to disclose how it measures its graphs, and to find out you need to pay them $5k-30k per year. What is most troubling there is some of the big players who helped found it, like Nvidia, Microsoft, Sony have all left it. Most likely because its nothing but a giant marketing consortium, meaning I would take whatever it lists as atleast skewed, especially when it counters essentially everything else the industry says. Ie Console crushes when it comes to the core gamer market.

Feel free to take a look around their website though, I would love to hear you reach a different conclusion: http://pcgamingalliance.org/

Originally posted by Fusion

Never, A thumb on a knob will never be as precise as a mouse period. 

What leads you to believe that the general market cares about precision?

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Feel free to take a look around their website though, I would love to hear you reach a different conclusion: http://pcgamingalliance.org/

Indeed they seem fishy. They are showing weird charts with questionable values and no proof. There was one that claimed that in 2012 there were 1,1 billion active PC gamers but only 200 mio active console gamers. For me that feels very out of touch and I would need proof before believing that.

Never the less I do believe that the PC gaming is on an up trend. There are just too many news articles on the net writing about this. Its definetly not dead or in the process of dieing as many claim (or maybe wish?). I have to agree though that it is hard to get real sales numbers for comparison.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well seriously he was just going overboard to make his video more relevant so shouldn't take it too seriously.

Where he does miss the point is that imo most were using controllers BEFORE keyboard/mouse, i know i was with that aged old Gravis keypad.I did not get into keyboard/mouse until fps's basically required it.I can't remember exactly when but i believe it was Quake or Doom that first had me convert to keyboard/mouse and i did not like it at first but stuck with it.

So contrary to belief i have been on both sides of the spectrum and would NEVER go back to controllers.

Also the notion consoles meet average gaming rigs is irrelevant ,my PC is less than average now and i still use it for ALL my games,so i have NOT had to upgrade during the SAME time consoles have been upgrading.The original premise was that consoles did not need to be configured or upgraded is far from the truth.First of all you might have to pay an added fee just to use them online,then you might need to buy a separate HD to meet capacity needs and you have had to buy 3 consoles in the same time i been using the same PC lol.What that  did was eliminate some use of older games on your new consoles ,i can still play my older games on the same PC.

IMO consoles are big time over rated,i will never invest in one again.They are simply a nice platform to help curb piracy which Microsoft was claiming to cost them billions from PC game piracy,EA made similar claims.They have tried to control the reuse of consoles games,Microsoft being the main culprit,yet in life we can sell anything we own but console gaming seems to think they are above everything else in life.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Lol. So much butthurt. Whether he is a douchebag or not is immaterial, he is absolutely right. But hey guys, denigrate him and continue to believe that you magically know more.

He is partly right but common i think that guy is a office guy with white shirt and tie and same good smelling parfume watching wallstreet sheets if he makes money.

But most PC gamers are responsible for the wrath of console players/developers/publishers by indeed go to torrent sides and download games illegal and not pay for them.

Many small game companys already bankrupt becouse of this.

Its maybe becouse CD PROJECT SURVIVED with The Witcher 2 was becouse its good enough to at least sold enough copies to survive but there where more illegal copies downloaded then sold copies SHAME to all who done that i hate them even more then this dumb guy in the video.

That guy is not a gamer he just earns money to say this.

He also have no respect he need to learn some social skills instead acting like a prick who knows it all.

What i don't understand is that guys like him but so many others specially console players think where weirdo's sitting in some dark dungeon with no social life playing games alone.

I prefer that yes i think is dumb sitting on a couche with friends drinking beer playing stupit console games.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    truth hurts

gameplay > graphics

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef
    Originally posted by Livnthedream Lol. So much butthurt. Whether he is a douchebag or not is immaterial, he is absolutely right. But hey guys, denigrate him and continue to believe that you magically know more.
    I wouldn't say he's absolutely right, but he makes a few good points. Some PC gamers do tend to act as if the keyboard & mouse is completely without flaws, even though several game genres (action / adventure, platformers, racing, 'arcadey' flight sims) are definitely best played with a controller. Furthermore controllers are becoming more precise with every iteration, and they will someday match the speed and precision of a mouse.

Someone does need to tell him that an Xbox 360 controller works splendidly with a PC, and that hooking up to a TV is as simple as plugging in an HDMI cable. Oh, and that the Steambox will have that streaming capability he's talking about. Hell, an Xbox 360 can receive photos & video from a PC for playback (great for Netflix).

The controller will never match the precision of a mouse, unless the controller is doing the thinking for the player instead depending on the player's movements. It's a difference between having a 6"x6" space to move and having a 1/2"x1/2" space to move. There's just much more room for precision.

That said, I really prefer using a controller. It's just more comfortable to use for long game sessions.

In regards to the video, the PC will kill the console when the console's price exceeds the cost of an entry level PC or a major PC upgrade, whatever that cost is. PC gaming will die when, well, I don't know when. PCs will always have higher end graphics, faster processors, etc. because there's just more space in the PC and more iterative development on the PCs.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I did not get into keyboard/mouse until fps's basically required it.I can't remember exactly when but i believe it was Quake or Doom that first had me convert to keyboard/mouse and i did not like it at first but stuck with it.

Lmao.

I remember back in the day when Quake 3 Arena launched on the Dreamcast....oh man those were the days!

Dreamcast players were like virgins sacrificed on an altar to PC players...lmao.

Since it was one of the first games to ever have cross platform play it was a massacre and PC players would completely wipe the floor with Dreamcast players and unleash such o////age that Dreamcast players would be in complete shock and dismay as PC players would wall and rocket jump circles around them, it was hilarious days man, some of the best in gaming history.

Many Dreamcast players converted shortly there after once they realized what they were really missing. I could go on with so many stories, but i'll try and keep this short, but man those were the days and also when I converted as I was a Dreamcast player...lol, like I said, I have many stories to tell in this area. 

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Rage More Maybe? NO class PC players.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by lugal

THe price point for consoles is higher than PC. Games also are more expensive. The only thing the lowers the price is age of the hardware. Just like the PC. XBox One is $500, I can build a system with better specs for less. About to buy a micro ATX system I got from newegg to use for a entertainment system. With everything, It comes out to just over $350.I do agree that PC has a config issue for developers, but it is not a new issue.

I see your point but I think you are overlooking the fact that PC devs don't support 500 dollar PCs. Sure you can throw a cheap PC gaming rig but you are going to be playing all your games at low end with poor driver support on hardware that's considered "old and outdated" by PC hardware standards. You can play old games on max settings which is nice. But you will not get the level of developer love that consoles enjoy.

Take a console that is already substandard compared to PC gaming rigs and yet you will still see tons of R&D pored into the console and devs trying to one-up each other for delivering the highest quality visuals and most powerful engines. You simply don't see that in PC games. Cheap PCs get the "low setting" treatment and most of their R&D goes into just making sure their game works on the plethora of hardware configurations out there.

Obviously in the right hands with the right environment, PC games will blow the doors off a console in terms of raw graphical and engine power. But really how often does that happen and for how long even with one graphic card let alone an entire rig.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Classicstar

He is partly right but common i think that guy is a office guy with white shirt and tie and same good smelling parfume watching wallstreet sheets if he makes money.

But most PC gamers are responsible for the wrath of console players/developers/publishers by indeed go to torrent sides and download games illegal and not pay for them.

Many small game companys already bankrupt becouse of this.

Its maybe becouse CD PROJECT SURVIVED with The Witcher 2 was becouse its good enough to at least sold enough copies to survive but there where more illegal copies downloaded then sold copies SHAME to all who done that i hate them even more then this dumb guy in the video.

That guy is not a gamer he just earns money to say this.

He also have no respect he need to learn some social skills instead acting like a prick who knows it all.

What i don't understand is that guys like him but so many others specially console players think where weirdo's sitting in some dark dungeon with no social life playing games alone.

I prefer that yes i think is dumb sitting on a couche with friends drinking beer playing stupit console games.

Where is your proof of the companies going out of business due to piracy? I call bullshit on your statement.

I only have to go to torrentfreak(dot)com and read the numerous reports of the corporate lies about piracy hurting profits. Music and movies are making more money now than they ever have. http://torrentfreak.com/piracy-isnt-hurting-the-entertainment-industry-121003/

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

He's not entirely wrong... playing on a couch with a mouse and keyboard isn't the most comfortable (though it can certainly be done). What he fails to mention is that while some games are better (or just as good) in front of a 50" TV with a controller, there are still a lot of games that are just so much easier / better to play on a 24" Monitor with a mouse and keyboard.

So yeah, you can keep your stupid PC controllers, I'll stick to my PC (with mouse and keyboard) for PC games and consoles for console games.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Wow!

Look at all the people stereotyping both sides of the spectrum. Consoles are gaming machines and simple multi-media boxes. Pc's can offer the same but can provide a vast spectrum of other choices IF REQUIRED! Not all people require these additional options because of 2 limiting forces:

1. Cost

2. Complexity 

Those are the ONLY reasons why pc's will never be the main center of the everyman's living room entertainment center. I for one use my pc as my entertainment center. I watch TV, use the internet, listen to music, take calls and messages through Skype using a bluetooth headset (all new mobo's have bluetooth build in now minus the cheap crap).

I do not play games 2 feet from my screen as I run everything at 1080p on a large screen LED TV. My mouse and keyboard are put away when not required. I can use any bluetooth extension or remote control device for normal browsing if I want. 

But here is the difference this #%&@ing idiot from the video isn't considering: My pc is also my office center. I REQUIRE a keyboard and mouse for emails, our ticketing system, citrix remote sessions, etc. How the flipping f$#k am I to do this on a console? How I am to communicate through typed communication in games with a console controller or even a tablet that has an awkward keyboard that takes up half the screen? How am I to play the socially oriented games I prefer that are designed for KB+mouse? If I wish to use a controller or joystick I can very easily do so as well.

So this is the problem with this thread and the video that spawned it. Too many people leaping upon stereotypes when the real situation is one of targeted marketing. There will always be people who only play games on consoles. There will always be people who only use pc's for games and/or business. There will be people who use both and for differing reasons.

The simple truth is that very few people have the knowledge or gumption  to bother to learn how to use a pc enough to take advantage of it's full spectrum of services. The cost is prohibitive if you only use it for one thing. You may as well use a smartphone or tablet for internet browsing or social media and chat. You may as well only use consoles for most video games. You WILL however be forced to use a full powered computer for many other things. There are games that are designed only for such computing capacity.

Now if everyone would stop turtling into their chosen camps and realize how stupid they sound, you may become enlightened enough to recognize why so many differing platforms exist and that you aren't part of a  "team" but merely a consumer using a product that meets your requirements.

Now for the guy in the video: I am shocked that someone of his age lacks such maturity, objective thinking and the enlightenment to understand that freedom of choice is allowed in this culture. He sounds like a teenage kid blindly defending their narrow point of view because they lack the life experience to know otherwise or simply refuse the validity of alternate methodology. A teenage kid is allowed such a stance as it is a part of the growth of the human mind within this complex social structure we call modern living. That guy is simply a douche ... and I use that term correctly.

You stay sassy!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    what an asshole lol. why is that crotchety old man even talking

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This guy pretty much just spoke the truth. The cool thing is too, devs are also figuring out that it's no longer about graphics. I don't know if steambox will be the pc white knight though because the "real" game devs dont like where pc gaming has gone and it's mostly due to the freedom devs have on pc. It's a double edge sword.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    This guy pretty much just spoke the truth. The cool thing is too, devs are also figuring out that it's no longer about graphics. I don't know if steambox will be the pc white knight though because the "real" game devs dont like where pc gaming has gone and it's mostly due to the freedom devs have on pc. It's a double edge sword.

It isn't about it there is truth behind his words or not. It is about how he delivers his opinion. It is classless and heaped in ignorance. You can speak the truth but the your reasons for reaching such a conclusion can be completely wrong. Both being in sync are very important. How you express your opinion is very important indeed.

You stay sassy!

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by Rockniss

It isn't about it there is truth behind his words or not. It is about how he delivers his opinion. It is classless and heaped in ignorance. You can speak the truth but the your reasons for reaching such a conclusion can be completely wrong. Both being in sync are very important. How you express your opinion is very important indeed.

Except when people deliver their opinions in the same way but leans towards the hive mind bias, we would be hearing how he is 'telling it like it is'.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Mr. Pach is a great guy.

You can cry all you want, he is just right. And don't go arround thinking you know more than he does about game sales and the business side of games. He might not understand everything tech related nor our minds( he is a gamer himself, though). But he makes a living telling the big guys how the market will behave and he seems good at it. 

He understands the business side and the money side. And thats what this shit is about, money. 

Gaming is a fucking business and PC is a plataform that is not good for business. WE told them that. The reasons why are already explained on this thread. 

Sooo, you have 2 options. Adapt or keep crying.  Consoles are the future for gaming, PC gaming will never die but it'll never be on top again. 

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Originally posted by H.Coelho

Mr. Pach is a great guy. You can cry all you want, he is just right. And don't go arround thinking you know more than he does about game sales and the business side of games. He might not understand everything tech related nor our minds( he is a gamer himself, though). But he makes a living telling the big guys how the market will behave and he seems good at it. He understands the business side and the money side. And thats what this shit is about, money. Gaming is a fucking business and PC is a plataform that is not good for business. WE told them that. The reasons why are already explained on this thread. Sooo, you have 2 options. Adapt or keep crying.  Consoles are the future for gaming, PC gaming will never die but it'll never be on top again.   

It will come back again, 2 to 3 years before the release of ps5 and xbox two. At that time the game devs will unload an arsenal of so call"f2p" games
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by H.Coelho

Mr. Pach is a great guy.

You can cry all you want, he is just right. And don't go arround thinking you know more than he does about game sales and the business side of games. He might not understand everything tech related nor our minds( he is a gamer himself, though). But he makes a living telling the big guys how the market will behave and he seems good at it. 

He understands the business side and the money side. And thats what this shit is about, money. 

Gaming is a fucking business and PC is a plataform that is not good for business. WE told them that. The reasons why are already explained on this thread. 

Sooo, you have 2 options. Adapt or keep crying.  Consoles are the future for gaming, PC gaming will never die but it'll never be on top again. 

Take you money and hit the road Jack. I as a Gamer do not give one Iota about whether or not someone makes a pile of dollars out of a MMO or not. If the game plays well, if it is fun and rewarding to Players, THAT is what matters to me as a Gamer.

Whether the Guy in the video knows what he talks about is another matter... but the way you tell it all that matters in the Universe is cold hard cash....YOU may believe that crap but as far as I am concerned you can keep your money religion to yourself.

Oh and btw, I am not some young Person who's never had a job... I am over 50 and have worked all my life and now am retired due to the fruit of my labors... but one thing I learned long ago...

We work to live, to pay the bills. We do not live to work.

• ScypherothScypheroth Member Posts: 264
    WHO is this guy and why the hell shoudl i even register his comments in my brain...never heard of him so he dosent matter at all...PERIOD!