Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest problem with this game is still gold spammers.

JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Now I'm well aware of how to blacklist them and do so regularly.   in fact

/blacklist add <r> as a macro will blacklist the last person that spoke to you (with confirmation box of course).

But it has really brutalized any sort of public chat.    Even when you quickly blacklist everyone, you can see most have communication outright shut off because of it so they don't have to bother.   You can roam around very crowded places, with active, real, non bot players all hanging out...and it's dead quiet.

Talking with a FC/linkshell is not the answer.  More power to you if you want to, but I'm not interested in restricting myself to the same people over and over as my exclusive form of communication.

Supposedly there's going to be right click ignore in 2.1.   My question?  Why wait until 2.1?

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Wait a second, you want to see pre-adolescent youth spam stupid crap on the shout channels?

I guess this is the culture gap between someone who has played WoW enough to not be bothered by that crap and someone who hasn't.

I'm having enough trouble dealing with people telling others to /whisper them, or people who are looking for a Damager Per Second (a way of calculating damage dealt to a monster) instead of a Damage Dealer (combat role).

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Wait a second, you want to see pre-adolescent youth spam stupid crap on the shout channels?

I guess this is the culture gap between someone who has played WoW enough to not be bothered by that crap and someone who hasn't.

I'm having enough trouble dealing with people telling others to /whisper them, or people who are looking for a Damager Per Second (a way of calculating damage dealt to a monster) instead of a Damage Dealer (combat role).

Well, I suppose he's one of the rare folks that enjoys socializing with others in MMO's, even perfect strangers.

Weird, I know, but those types are still out there.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

I have no problem with "barrens chat". I actually like it, more than a dead quiet place. Even though is silly talk, it can be amusing at times. FFXIV however since the very beginning has been one strangely quiet MMO. Don't know why people don't talk. 

As for you OP, I'm on Moogle and haven't seen spammers in shout for in like 2 weeks now. I get the rare occasional spam on whisper and that's all.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Edli

I have no problem with "barrens chat". I actually like it, more than a dead quiet place. Even though is silly talk, it can be amusing at times. FFXIV however since the very beginning has been one strangely quiet MMO. Don't know why people don't talk. 

As for you OP, I'm on Moogle and haven't seen spammers in shout for in like 2 weeks now. I get the rare occasional spam on whisper and that's all.

A few things why it's so quiet.

1. It's not polite to shout your drivel in red color all over chat unless you have a good reason. Compare it, albeit a bit extreme, to shouting BOMB! at an airport or calling 911. There are areas like MD where there is constant shout spamming of LFG/LFM and the occasional banter. There is simply no need for it in other zones.

2. Focus. A lot of players come from older games like FFXI, EQ and back in those days getting shit done was valued above standing in a town spreading verbal diarrhea.

Just my 2 cents

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

1. It's not polite to shout your drivel in red color all over chat unless you have a good reason. Compare it, albeit a bit extreme, to shouting BOMB! at an airport or calling 911.

Oh c'mon now. This is a game. Some occasional chat about random stuff or even game related talk is not the same as someone shouting bomb in the airport. That's some over dramatization. 

As for people back in the old days getting stuff done, heh good joke. As if I don't know how it used to be back then. 

And back then people used to talk btw.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Edli
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

1. It's not polite to shout your drivel in red color all over chat unless you have a good reason. Compare it, albeit a bit extreme, to shouting BOMB! at an airport or calling 911.

Oh c'mon now. This is a game. Some occasional chat about random stuff or even game related talk is not the same as someone shouting bomb in the airport. That's some over dramatization. 

As for people back in the old days getting stuff done, heh good joke. As if I don't know how it used to be back then. 

And back then people used to talk btw.

There is a difference between talk and Chuck Norris Jokes, latest Meme references and the usual game bashing. Most talk back in the days was done in guild chats.

Anywho, its not worth starting an argument about.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    For me General/Zone/World chat is the heart of a game, at least until you get really into a guild's community, and even then its a barometer of the cultural atmosphere. It doesn't feel like an mmo without it, and though yes on Moogle it isn't too bad, it is still a pain on other servers, and I don't know why Sqenix are not more diligent in it's eradication, for the sake of us that need that random chat, as the background hub-bub of a city square or market.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I was just thinking this weekend how much better the spammers had been. On our server at least, it's rare to see shout spam any more, and I'm only getting 1-2 spam tells a day now.

Much improved from a couple of weeks ago. Still a ways to go to eliminate it entirely (along with the shard bots), but headed in the right direction at least.

Unless, of course, I'm misunderstanding the OP, and he/she is actually upset that there are real people playing an MMO on the same server as they are.

• EverKing87EverKing87 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    if gold spamming was the biggest problem in this game id still be playing it...
  • MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    At least most of the gil spamming is done only in the cities, only have to deal with tells in the field, and there's plenty of conversation in the fate zergs. It would be nice to have an instant blacklist button for the gilsellers.
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

The gil seller's are definitely out of control with the spam.

Simple solution though: Create a new chat tab specifically for tells, filter all tells into that tab only, then change the overbearing default sound effect to the second or third (less intrusive) option.

Not ideal, but at least you won't have spam filling up your main window every time you are in a capital.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

They are currently boasting about registered players.

This is how RMT operate.  They buy a game cheaply, use it so sell enough gil to make a profit on that purchase with botting and hacking and when finally banned repeat this over and over again.  End result is SE are making money from the box sales and get a ton of added registered accounts each and every time they make a new account.  There are mass numbers of RMT on this game which is helping to pad numbers, and no the account isn't deleted if you get banned you simply get an error and can't login to it.

RMT is a good thing for Square enix right now and RMT make a huge profit off the initial box sale because of how slowly Square react which encourages them to repeat this cycle over and over and over.  Spend $12.99, make hundreds of dollars in RMT gil and repeat.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The game is new + it seems to have a lot of active players = RMT heaven.

I suspect the fact that F2P games and their pervasive Cash Shops have made a lot more players used-to the fact that buying "convenience" is acceptable in MMO's. If the the game developer of their current game doesn't allow them to buy their way to the top quickly, then they simply turn to those that will provide that service, regardless if it's "illegal" or not.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

If only people would stop buying the gil to begin with, the RMT's market would dry up, they'd stop being profitable, they'd leave the game, and SE would have less of a problem to deal with.

They only go where there's a demand. Clearly there's a demand for gil in FFXIV. So long as that remains the case, they'll never go away and the spam will continue.

So, when your chat log is being filled up with gil spam, and you're getting angry at SE for not dealing with it better (as they should be), be sure to direct some of that anger at the "players" giving the spammers a reason to be there in the first place.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

The gold spammers are maddening.  Though I honestly do not see why anyone would want to buy gil with RM?  Aside from pure laziness you get anything in the game by doing fates quests and dungeons.... fairly easily at that. The only thing i spend gil on is cheap repairs and food.  

I will give SE this, the Shout spammers have been all but nullified.  now its just random tells form that goldceo MotherF**(^& and half the time they dont even make sense.  

• TreespiderTreespider Member Posts: 28

Here a little secret on this game.  You do not need gill to progress through the game.

1st : Just do the story and the quest get you 300k gil for free.

2nd: Just run CW And CM or BOC. To get free gear. OR if really poor run any dungeon.

3rd: Let your leves build up to 100.  

4th: Take your 300k of gill got from the main story and use the leves and get crafting job to 50 fast. Advance would be balance so that you get all other crafts to lv15 then to lv50. 

5th: Find a great FC and everyone will be a happy camper. When all the gear and crystals and stuff is FREE. 

6th: Most legacy servers the gill sellers are worthless. and on some the bigger servers. 

Bogus: If your still unable to understand the top parts and you got your mom and dads credit card to buy gill. Well you are one lucky SoB.  To get ripped off.  Can also just allow the RMT selling back and forth to them self until your the poor soul that bought the gill. 

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/5a77e71b33a9d8f5a2217b89dcedf4f3b8f5acbf

Another 3,694 accounts banned for RMT related events.

Interestingly enough, there is yet another 4,266 accounts banned for "cheating".  Not sure exactly what that is supposed to cover, but I don't think SE will give us details.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Gold spammers? In a p2p game? Impossible! Once people pay that makes them the perfect MMO player according to so many here.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

If only people would stop buying the gil to begin with, the RMT's market would dry up, they'd stop being profitable, they'd leave the game, and SE would have less of a problem to deal with.

They only go where there's a demand. Clearly there's a demand for gil in FFXIV. So long as that remains the case, they'll never go away and the spam will continue.

So, when your chat log is being filled up with gil spam, and you're getting angry at SE for not dealing with it better (as they should be), be sure to direct some of that anger at the "players" giving the spammers a reason to be there in the first place.

If only people would stop buying illegal drugs the market would dry up.  Not going to happen, won't happen with MMO RMTing either.

All you can do is shrug and hope the developers can stem the tide somewhat, much like we try to do with illegal drugs in the real world, with varying degrees of success.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon