Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated Kickstarter and Stretchgoals!

liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Trials of Ascension just updated their kickstarter with a lot of new (and some old) news! 

Also a lot of awesome stretchgoals! Go check it out! :D

Kickstarter page:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension-a-truly-innovative-mmorpg?ref=live

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    These are actually very solid stretch goals with real expansion of gamplay. That is what I look for in kickstarter if they go for stretch goals as with many ks projects the stretch goals are gaming the system in book to get greedy. But these are really quality eg new races which play differently etc! That is v cool to see.
  • cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73
    game looked good till i read the death penalty.  but i do wish them good luck cause im sure there are people out there who like that kind of thing and would love to play it
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by cheeseheads
    game looked good till i read the death penalty.  but i do wish them good luck cause im sure there are people out there who like that kind of thing and would love to play it

Perma-Death killed it for me too. I wanted to pledge til I read that :(

We need mmorpg's of all types though, so for those that like perma-death, I wish it does well for them.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

Why are people so scared of permadeath? It makes it exciting.

If you've played any old school game you had a lot less than 100 lives, you only get 3.

Game looks good though, I'll definitely check it out.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177

I don't mind perma death, what i do mind is this 100 death counters nonsense. Either make perma death or not.

Sadly this Kickstarter will not make it's goal since the whole presentation and the "gameplay" footage they show is too generic. I think what most of these indie developers need is some advice on how to present a product and get people excited.

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

I don't mind perma death, what i do mind is this 100 death counters nonsense. Either make perma death or not.

Sadly this Kickstarter will not make it's goal since the whole presentation and the "gameplay" footage they show is too generic. I think what most of these indie developers need is some advice on how to present a product and get people excited.

The 100 death counters are because you might die because of lag, game crashing etc. so it's a compromise. I think the kickstarter will reach it goal. But the reason it's not well presentated is because they don't use money on any type of advertisement, the only reason the game is known is because it's community is talking about it on forums etc. And even so the video isn't the best high quality you could wish for, it's still decent to think that this is alpha (early) and that this game is only about to start being developed! 

And isn't it better that people get excited about the game, then some "cinematic" that many games use to present their games. I remember GW2 being a game with an awesome cinematic (And don't get me wrong, I still play and love GW2) but that didn't change the fact that I got a little disapointed because I thought that some of the things in the cinematic was also in the game, but they weren't.

(Sorry for any gramma mistakes that might be in my post)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by monochrome19

Why do you assume they are scared of it? I prefer Rocky Roads Ice Cream over Green Tea Ice Cream. That doesn't mean I am afraid of green tea; I just don't care for it. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Why do you assume they are scared of it? I prefer Rocky Roads Ice Cream over Green Tea Ice Cream. That doesn't mean I am afraid of green tea; I just don't care for it. 

this 1000x.  just cause a person doesnt like what you like does not mean they are afraid or scared.   we all like different things just deal with it

this 1000x.  just cause a person doesnt like what you like does not mean they are afraid or scared.   we all like different things just deal with it

Yea, but there are many people that ARE scared of permadeath, so deal with that. (He didn't say that every person going against permadeath are scared of it, he just said that there were a lot, and there are. 

So deal with that ):>!

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

I for one don't have a preference one way or another. I can deal with permadeath or not, as long as the game is challenging is all I care about.

With that being said the most important things to understand when you play a game with permadeath is to:

A:) Plan Ahead

and 

B:) Have a Backup Plan

and 

C:) Always watch you back (aka, keep your back to the wall)

Those three things are essential and must ALWAYS be understood, otherwise you are just going to be frustrated constantly if you just go into the game not realizing that you may die and that it is a serious thing. Hide behind a tree, a rock, whatever as long as you live, there is no such thing as being a coward in a game with permadeath it's all about survival.

Never go in thinking you are the be all, kill all, billy bad ass, cause that is when you will die. Constant attention is essential.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, not all people find the same things exciting.

I can tell you that the death penatlty is not exciting to me. At all.

However, it is intriguing as it adds a sense of realism to the game. Basically you won't be around forever and I like that.

But I don't find it exciting.

I'm on the fence for pledging as I just don't know if these guys can pull it off.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by liva98989

Yea, but there are many people that ARE scared of permadeath, so deal with that. (He didn't say that every person going against permadeath are scared of it, he just said that there were a lot, and there are. 

but i can read in between the lines like many others can.  so deal wtih that.  not sure why you are so butt hurt that others dont like what you do but deal with it and move on also welcome to my block list :)  deal wtth that

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

bummed this is the first game I have backed on KS.

at its current pace, it wont even get close to what its asking for, much less stretch goals.

I wonder why companies put their goal so high, so they end up getting nothing.

This might reach 200k, which would help them alot, but if it doesnt reach 750, they get nothing

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No one is "afraid" or scared of permadeath, not in same way that they might be of dying, or hurricanes or living in poverty.

But most people will avoid a permadeath game, because the mechanic really goes completely against what makes RPG and MMORPG's the games they are.

Progression defines the genre, and permadeath means an end of progression, hence it doesn't mesh well with the design of a RPG game.

Single player games provided save game slots so you could avoid permadeath, and MMO's not having such a thing can't really employ it in any reasonable fashion and remain MMORPG's.

Not saying you can't build a permadeath game, just saying unless it is designed around some very unique mechanics, you won't find much an audience for it, at least among those who enjoy playing MMORPG's.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Myrdynn

at its current pace, it wont even get close to what its asking for, much less stretch goals.

This might reach 200k, which would help them alot, but if it doesnt reach 750, they get nothing

This mmorpg TOA is perhaps one of the most interesting I have seen of upcoming mmorpgs.

But I agree, I fear the target is too high. You normally get a big beginning which is the core fanbase. That is usually equal or more to the end so that would be about 100k on that alone. Then the lean middle to match that about 200k. Yet a weak beginning in that ratio and you then see why some ks fail big, others just pip it and others blast past really early and continue generating money.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

If you've played any old school game you had a lot less than 100 lives, you only get 3.

I'm not afraid of it, I just don't care for the mechanic in an MMORPG. Single player game, fine..Not for an MMORPG.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

I don't think you and monochrome realize how much you two contribute to the reasons people shy away from these discussions. 

Enjoy! O7

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by The1ceQueen

I'm not afraid of it, I just don't care for the mechanic in an MMORPG. Single player game, fine..Not for an MMORPG.

Same here. I never seem to have a problem with it in single player or even multiplayer for that matter. I think it's just that it's a tacked on arena type thing in a progression based game in MMOs that I rarely find it fun. 

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Why am I being demonized? :(
  • rk1191rk1191 Member CommonPosts: 17
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen

If you're feeling like you want to pledge, but are unsure about one aspect of the game, I implore you to join the forums. They are a bunch of amazing people who would certainly calm your concern!

This game certainly isn't "progression based" like other MMOs. Other games focus on individual progression, while ToA focuses on settlement/community progression as well as progression in the world. Your character will Permadie, but everything you ever did will still be in the world. There is no huge gap between a "level 1" and a "level 80" like in WoW. In fact, there are no levels, so you essentially lose nothing.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I was an early supporter of this game back in 2002 or whenever that was.  It had some truly amazing ideas such as being kings and such of your own kingdom and basically having everyday life.  The prospect of permanent death was an interesting one in how they presented it; if you assassinate a king, it isn't realistic if they keep on coming back and they just rule again with an added intent to get their assassins.

It also had an idea whereby you actually got married to other characters and had actual children; these children would then be given to actual players as they created their characters.  In that light, each child will have a mother and a father who would take care of them, give them items and basically teach them the game if they were new.  If no player was available, or no child... ahem, procreated, then they would be given NPC parents or children that would help them in a lot of ways (or the child would always follow and protect the mother).

Then there was the torturing, the dragging, the crafting... it all had some unique elements to it.  Though nowadays I'm not sure how permanent death would work, especially if you keep your character alive for months at a time and learn powerful spells / crafting / make some great stuff that is associated with your name.  It would be disheartening for me to lose a character and I would likely just quite from depression and realize that I've outgrown gaming (the whole quitting a game after years of playing already gives me buyer's remorse in terms of purchases made and time spent... if I lost it all it would probably be even worse).  The difference between an old game that gave three lives and this is that those were meant to be 15 minute to 30 minute play throughs that were tough.  This is a persistent world we're talking about, and even if characters are made to be thrown away, may want to be attached to them (it's even a way to keep subscribers and people playing) and or will be after just a few days on some epic experiences they may have with them at any point.

With that said, I just don't see the market for this in terms of actually making money.  It will have a following of people who love it, and to them it will probably be the best game they've played.  Though it's kind've worrisome that they likely won't make the money needed to properly support the game what with the associated feelings of MMORPG gamers nowadays and the attachments they have with their characters.  Maybe even the compromise that Star Citizen is doing by allowing a player to keep everything they've earned, but just force a character name change and appearance when they're out.

As a whole I would've loved the first incarnation of the game, and was sad that no investors picked it up due to the genre being fairly small way back then.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

With that said, I just don't see the market for this in terms of actually making money.  It will have a following of people who love it, and to them it will probably be the best game they've played.  Though it's kind've worrisome that they likely won't make the money needed to properly support the game what with the associated feelings of MMORPG gamers nowadays and the attachments they have with their characters. 

It will be high satisfaction for small number of people. I actually think this could be more optimal for mmorpgs where the smaller number have more satisfaction and commitment thereby creating a better community (less anonymous, less anti-social + higher player engagement and interaction).

But for a small mmorpg to be viable it needs that lower number to be high enough to pay the bills and expect some form of growth (ie profits to plough back in as well as pay the devs remuneration at a market rate they're happy with). Vendetta Online have been able to get by for over a decade so it is possible. Even The Repopulation is doing well to get to alpha but limited by investment to hit that spot where it will be fun for a sufficient number of players to start generating revenue. All these are different and interesting mmorpg WORTH trying, but they need to be at a level of polish and sustainable in drawing from the market a rate of player uptake to build a core community that is high satisfaction. For the big investors that is totally uninteresting and for the mmorpg player they too often blinded by the bs shiny (yet well polished) graphics of the big investor pubs games imho.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Given that there are already KS projects which have failed to deliver with small funds (Takedown), it's good that they ask for enough. If they can't get 750k, they should realize they don't have enough interest from the playerbase to make their idea viable for a full-fledged MMO. Mortal Online had many times the money they are asking and even then they could not make a game that would attract enough players to be profitable.

This game is very hardcore to today's MMO standards and it means the target audience is going to be very niche.

Personally, I would hope if/when this KS fails, they will instead try to go the Minecraft route and start with a barebone alpha version you can already buy and play. If it's addictive enough, it will quickly expand and they will have their funding, plus invaluable feedback from people already playing their alpha.

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126

Firstly, I thank the people who have said they don't love permadeath but wish to see the game succeed no less.  I wish there were more like you all and fewer who were ragefully dismissive of the concept.

I think this is a worthy experiment of a game, and a well thought-out one at that.  I think the "MMORPG" tag carries so much baggage it almost guarantees aversion to new ideas.  It's got some of the weight of the RPG, a leering titan in its own right, plus every MMO since their invention and of course the mega-success of WoW.

Permadeath, open PvP, these features actually belie what is at it's core a game about cooperation.  All the settlement/reputation mechanics are really designed to provide the greatest safety to those who are good citizens.  If there's nothing else that makes ToA exciting to me, it's the fact that the game really wants you to work together, to build relationships.  There are scant few games that have that as a core of gameplay.

Originally posted by coretex666

I quickly read the info on the kickstarter page and have to say that this game does look interesting.

Hope it gets funded.

Me too.