Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn to surpass 1.5 million accounts.

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by zanfire

Yes they basically sold more copys, that doesnt mean crap these days. Look at SWTOR, it sold around 2 mil in its first month or so and it went F2P in 6 months. Its all about how many people stick around 3-6 months later. High box sale =/= long term success.

Well Star Wars is and has always been the biggest IP in the world,so it was going to sell just on it's name alone.I am still shocked at how many still know nothing about Square Enix or FFXI,only the biggest game developer over the last 20 years,they are not the household name Star Wars is.

In saying that yes,instant numbers have proven to mean little over the last 5-7 years,but this MIGHT be a tad different,remember this si a re-release,how many games have been able to recover at all after a shaky start?Answer NONE,not only id FFXIV recover it improved both the game drastically and the player base and it's perception.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Sorry, I couldn't quite hear you over the sound of this server queue I'm in right now.

Lmao ,did you steal that idea from when Roenick was dissing Patrick Roy and Roy  told him  "Sorry i can't hear you from the two Stanley cup rings plugging my ears" lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by DMKano

One little wrinkle - the original article clearly states "registered accounts" - the wording is important, because technically you can register an account with SE without even buying the game.

registered accounts means they registered their 'key's so unless your suggesting they stole them? then surely that means they bought the game, hence the 'registered account' status.image

Registered SE account - no keys needed.

FF14 accounts need a key.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has seen an increase of 500 000 accounts since Tokyo Game Show . . .

Sounds like FF14 accounts to me, but reading comprehension is low on these forums so you are excused.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by hikaru77.

We are talking about JAPAN, NA, and EU.  would be nice to know how many acc are from the western maket. i mean, is like WoW talking about 10 mill of subs when 80% of that number is from ASIA. 

Does it really matters that much if a gamer is in playing from Los Angeles or Tokyo? The game have most likely the same payment model in Japan as well as EU/US anyways.

The discussion about Wow was because Chinese players have a different payment system and because it have been discussed just how they actually count the active Chinese players. If Wows players paid the same worldwide I doubt we would have had any threads about it here.

Anyways, gratz to FFXIV but it must of course be able to keep those players as well as getting them in the first place. So far so good... :)

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by amber-r

Nobody thinks it will shut down, it will probably go free to play or have a reduced budget for patches but it won't shut down.  XIV is no different to every other failed wow clone before it, it's not special and will go the exact same way.

I'm sorry to burst this giant bubble you've probably spent so much time building but FFXIV:ARR is quite special.

1) Japanese play FFXIV:ARR in huge numbers. Japanese do not play any other MMORPG. They do not behave like the rest of the world in their MMORPG consumer preferences. Unlike Korean MMO's this matters because FFXIV:ARR is a truly global product, not outsourced "updates half a year later if that" Westernized version of the same product.

2) PS3 players play FFXIV:ARR in huge numbers. No other "WoW clone" has a huge following on the consoles.

I'm sorry to bring you these real world examples that so completely make your statement moot, but what can you do. Anyone can see it, but it takes a certain person to completely ignore what's in front of them and claim the opposite.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by zanfire

Yes they basically sold more copys, that doesnt mean crap these days. Look at SWTOR, it sold around 2 mil in its first month or so and it went F2P in 6 months. Its all about how many people stick around 3-6 months later. High box sale =/= long term success.

I lasted 1 month with SWTOR and that's cause I love Star Wars...that game was (and is) an insult to MMO's. FF ARR is a MUCH MUCH better game and will thrive as long as the updates promised arrive on time.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• CarilliCarilli Member UncommonPosts: 41
    does that include the 600k+ accounts carried over from 1.0? lol
    Originally posted by Carilli
    does that include the 600k+ accounts carried over from 1.0? lol

Hopefully it does, as it makes their October sales that much more impressive. They had 1 million accounts at the end of September, so 400k new accounts if the 1.0 accounts were counted too. In October on the other hand they have seen an increase of 500k accounts, so in reality they have sold more copies on the second month than in the first. That is an incredibly good result and rarely if ever happens in the MMORPG industry, truly making the game something extraordinary and paves the way for a long-term success.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Nobody thinks it will shut down, it will probably go free to play or have a reduced budget for patches but it won't shut down.  XIV is no different to every other failed wow clone before it, it's not special and will go the exact same way.

I'm sorry to burst this giant bubble you've probably spent so much time building but FFXIV:ARR is quite special.

1) Japanese play FFXIV:ARR in huge numbers. Japanese do not play any other MMORPG. They do not behave like the rest of the world in their MMORPG consumer preferences. Unlike Korean MMO's this matters because FFXIV:ARR is a truly global product, not outsourced "updates half a year later if that" Westernized version of the same product.

2) PS3 players play FFXIV:ARR in huge numbers. No other "WoW clone" has a huge following on the consoles.

I'm sorry to bring you these real world examples that so completely make your statement moot, but what can you do. Anyone can see it, but it takes a certain person to completely ignore what's in front of them and claim the opposite.

Show me the numbers of JP players and the number of PS3 players, considering how badly the ps3 runs the game I doubt they are as numerous as you think they are.  The game also doesn't seem that big of a success in JP considering the worldwide numbers would be far higher if it was, if GW2 (which is a far less well known IP) as a PConly/NA/EU only MMO can muster 3.5million anyway.

I can show you that PSO2 in JP has 1 million registered players and also there are quite a few JP MMOs actually, including FFXI which competes for players with this.  There are also a few ps3 mmos and will be more next year. 

As I said it's nothing special in any way execpt your own personal love for it, which many others feel for any other mmo you can mention.

Show me the numbers of JP players and the number of PS3 players, considering how badly the ps3 runs the game I doubt they are as numerous as you think they are.  The game also doesn't seem that big of a success in JP considering the worldwide numbers would be far higher if it was, if GW2 (which is a far less well known IP) as a PConly/NA/EU only MMO can muster 3.5million anyway.

I can show you that PSO2 in JP has 1 million registered players and also there are quite a few JP MMOs actually, including FFXI which competes for players with this.  There are also a few ps3 mmos and will be more next year. 

As I said it's nothing special in any way execpt your own personal love for it, which many others feel for any other mmo you can mention.

More JP servers are constantly closed off from making new characters than the NA/EU servers, meaning the ratio of Japanese to rest of the world is higher. The PS3 runs the game like a 7 year old 300 dollar costing gaming device would be thought to run so no surprises there, you get what you buy. Unsurprisingly if you own a PS3 you probably don't care about running games on maximum settings anyway.

Hint: We are talking player retention here not the box sales and the Japanese do not follow Western trends as in they don't quit as easily, most likely because they don't find any Korean or Western MMO as appealing as a home-made one. That said the Japanese even though smaller in total numbers are much better subscribers for profitability. A Japanese subscriber is much better than a Western subscriber, because the latter has more options.

PSO2 is F2P, next you should tell me how many registered users are in Gran Turismo 5 so we can keep making more accurate comparisons. Dragon Quest X has like 400k players too, and that game is an old-school FFXI rip off for Wii that wouldn't sell 10k copies in the West. Even more of a proof about the extraordinary consumer preferences of the Japanese.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

More JP servers are constantly closed off from making new characters than the NA/EU servers, meaning the ratio of Japanese to rest of the world is higher. The PS3 runs the game like a 7 year old 300 dollar costing gaming device would be thought to run so no surprises there, you get what you buy. Unsurprisingly if you own a PS3 you probably don't care about running games on maximum settings anyway.

Hint: We are talking player retention here not the box sales and the Japanese do not follow Western trends as in they don't quit as easily, most likely because they don't find any Korean or Western MMO as appealing as a home-made one. That said the Japanese even though smaller in total numbers are much better subscribers for profitability. A Japanese subscriber is much better than a Western subscriber, because the latter has more options.

PSO2 is F2P, next you should tell me how many registered users are in Gran Turismo 5 so we can keep making more accurate comparisons. Dragon Quest X has like 400k players too, and that game is an old-school FFXI rip off for Wii that wouldn't sell 10k copies in the West. Even more of a proof about the extraordinary consumer preferences of the Japanese.

If 40% of players stop playing do you think SE deletes their characters?  You also don't know the population caps on those servers.  In short you don't really know any of what you think you do unless there are concrete numbers.

PSO2 is an very popular JP mmo, considering the low price of FFXIV I doubt the fact it's f2p really means that much if the players love the game that much.   We aren't talking about some 3rd world country.

If 40% of players stop playing do you think SE deletes their characters?  You also don't know the population caps on those servers.  In short you don't really know any of what you think you do unless there are concrete numbers.

PSO2 is an very popular JP mmo, considering the low price of FFXIV I doubt the fact it's f2p really means that much if the players love the game that much.   We aren't talking about some 3rd world country.

So what makes you think population caps are different on JP servers? The fact is more JP servers are full more often. That much I do know, and that tells us more JP's play this game than NA/EU.

So essentially you're saying free is the same as non-free. Amazing argument. "To the Japanese money doesn't really mean much."

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Sadly that many accts means nothing when 80% of the playerbase has probally quit by now or will be soon due to nothing to do in this latest wow-clone mmorpg. I quit shortly after my warrior hit 50 and I got my relic, nothing left to do but coil or doing AK/CM over and over, and i'd rather just go to another game by that point. Leveling an alt is boring (fates are fast but I'd rather have quests to do and do fates as I quest to break up the monotony of it all), crafting is boring, gathering is deff boring.. So why keep my account open at all?

I may re-open it when 2.1 hits but so far nothing in it really strikes me as all that good/fun. Pvp is crap in wow-style mmo's combat wise. Could do crystal tower but as it is its hard to find compentant people for 4 man dungeons who aren't complete morons, I don't even wanna think about how doing CT is going to go when you need 20+ people.

On a last note, 1.5 million accounts means little to nothing, what matters is how many people stay subbed after the free month. Which with people leaving in droves back when I quit, is probally closer to the 200-300k mark. Mind you thats enough for it to be profitable, IMO if a mmorpg is profitable its a success. You do not need mutiple millions of subs to be successful.

On Pso2 I wish they would bring it to the us/canada in english, its on a indefentie delay atm. Or at least add a english translation to the japanese servers I'd play on those if the text was in english and its not like there is a massive amount to translate in a PSO title. I can kinda see why they are hesitating considering the community hacked psu so much they ended up shutting it down, they probally think there will be a repeat and are deciding if its really worth bringing pso2 stateside.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/25/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-1-5-million-accounts-patch-2-1-coming-in-december/

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has seen an increase of 500 000 accounts since the Tokyo Game Show last month (when it was reported that the amount of accounts was one million).

[mod edit]

The game isnt bad at all, seems they are even giving more of what people want in the future. I play the game but its not really the MMO i am looking for, I personally want something more like Shadowbane with me being able to kill who I want pretty much when I want. One things FF is known for is all the flashiness of spells and attacks, some times this takes away from the game but not by much. I always will have a problem with level grinding through monotonus task, this is something FF really really likes to do either you love it because of the story it brings or you hate it because its long and drawn out I dont mind some of it but most of it is just annoying.

Originally posted by Siveria

Sadly that many accts means nothing when 80% of the playerbase has probally quit by now or will be soon due to nothing to do in this latest wow-clone mmorpg.

I wish, would make these queues to get in the servers so much more bearable. Would also help with the constant fps drops in the cities due to the hundreds of characters to render at any given time.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Siveria

Sadly that many accts means nothing when 80% of the playerbase has probally quit by now or will be soon due to nothing to do in this latest wow-clone mmorpg.

I wish, would make these queues to get in the servers so much more bearable. Would also help with the constant fps drops in the cities due to the hundreds of characters to render at any given time.

Let me know when they release data on how many people are actually playing lol

Originally posted by Hellidol

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/25/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-1-5-million-accounts-patch-2-1-coming-in-december/

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has seen an increase of 500 000 accounts since the Tokyo Game Show last month (when it was reported that the amount of accounts was one million).

A massive hit to all the haters around the world, FFXIV:ARR shows strong signs of growth long since the official release has begun. The community waits in anticipation for what excuses the naysayers will think up next.

The game isnt bad at all, seems they are even giving more of what people want in the future. I play the game but its not really the MMO i am looking for, I personally want something more like Shadowbane with me being able to kill who I want pretty much when I want. One things FF is known for is all the flashiness of spells and attacks, some times this takes away from the game but not by much. I always will have a problem with level grinding through monotonus task, this is something FF really really likes to do either you love it because of the story it brings or you hate it because its long and drawn out I dont mind some of it but most of it is just annoying.

I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for man. There'd be nothing better than an MMO for all of us with different tastes.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    All I know is my FC has 35 of the 40 still playing.
  • TissmogiTissmogi Member Posts: 177
    Originally posted by Soki123

Our FC is still growing on a weekly basis and already have applications of people from other servers when the server transfers are available. We have become very selective.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

Our FC is still growing on a weekly basis and already have applications of people from other servers when the server transfers are available. We have become very selective.

Ya, we just added 4 more in the last 2 days. We re a small FC, and want to be, but I don t see mass leaving at all. Once again it s a case of people playing way too much, and quitting, then whining theres nothing to do. Not the case in our FC.

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I don't hate any games but this game is only working cause their is nothing else to play now,they are luckey the big games of next year are not out yet.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I'd love to know how many sales and subs SE needs to break even on the development costs between both 1.0 and 2.0. Of course, they had sales from the initial release of 1.0 and some people paid for a sub during the development of 2.0.

I imagine that this game would be considered a success internally once they get the whole project overall to be in the black, if it is not already. 1.5 million is impressive, but remember a lot of those numbers are from old 1.0 Vets like me who didn't have to pay for the client.

The wife and I are still playing, and paying. But we have notice that some of the places are a little bit less full then they were initially. Not much, but some of the people we used to hang with have showed up less and less. If this game has a flaw, i would say its too easy to blast through to lvl 50.

Ironic that I would say that, seeing as how my highest lvl job is a 39 pally...but so many 50's are about seeming at a loss for something to do. Sure, they could grind fates...but that's just like work. no real fun in it, save for maybe the really big, end-game fates. I guess the hardcore crew have run their course and are moving on?

WE are having fun...but we are also not in a rush.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Tissmogi

Numbers like these mean nothing though. We had about 36 players in the one we (the wife and I) are in, now there is about 5 semi-active and we are 2 of them. I guess we are counted in the super sub climb as we took an extra month because it was ok at the start.

Just like SWTOR, I'd say "Wait til the month is up, then 3 then 6!" you will then get a better picture. I do hope it is a good one for those liking it, sadly, it wasn't good for us, such is life! :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Raquis
    I don't hate any games but this game is only working cause their is nothing else to play now,they are luckey the big games of next year are not out yet.

Of course...because it can't possibly have anything to do with being fun.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Yea well, we'll see how this game is doing in the year 2027. Only then, if the sub count is above 990,471 and below 4.6 million, can this game be called a success. Until then, you're all just speculating.