Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Such an insulting and ignorant video about PC gaming from someone who is suppose to be professional

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Wow that guy is a massive d-bag..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Yeah, the guys a moron.  He's another one of those suits who are responsible for things like Call of Duty Modern Warfare 862.  With "NEW MAPS!" Which are really just old maps with a few textures replaced, and stuff like day 1 DLC thats necessary to play the game, etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Self-absorbed prick is best used for this know nothing clown.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Lol. So much butthurt. Whether he is a douchebag or not is immaterial, he is absolutely right. But hey guys, denigrate him and continue to believe that you magically know more.
  • Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Lol. So much butthurt. Whether he is a douchebag or not is immaterial, he is absolutely right. But hey guys, denigrate him and continue to believe that you magically know more.

I wouldn't say he's absolutely right, but he makes a few good points. Some PC gamers do tend to act as if the keyboard & mouse is completely without flaws, even though several game genres (action / adventure, platformers, racing, 'arcadey' flight sims) are definitely best played with a controller. Furthermore controllers are becoming more precise with every iteration, and they will someday match the speed and precision of a mouse.

Someone does need to tell him that an Xbox 360 controller works splendidly with a PC, and that hooking up to a TV is as simple as plugging in an HDMI cable. Oh, and that the Steambox will have that streaming capability he's talking about. Hell, an Xbox 360 can receive photos & video from a PC for playback (great for Netflix).

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I was wondering what he was talking about with the router from PC to TV idea.  Has he really never heard of a HDMI cable before.  How many years have we been able to do this?  About 10, or maybe a little less?

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723

There is nothing "insulting" or "ignorant" whatsoever about this video. It's actually quite brilliant.

I could say otherwise about this post though...

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

I wouldn't say he's absolutely right, but he makes a few good points. Some PC gamers do tend to act as if the keyboard & mouse is completely without flaws, even though several game genres (action / adventure, platformers, racing, 'arcadey' flight sims) are definitely best played with a controller. Furthermore controllers are becoming more precise with every iteration, and they will someday match the speed and precision of a mouse.

Someone does need to tell him that an Xbox 360 controller works splendidly with a PC, and that hooking up to a TV is as simple as plugging in an HDMI cable. Oh, and that the Steambox will have that streaming capability he's talking about. Hell, an Xbox 360 can receive photos & video from a PC for playback (great for Netflix).

The controller does not tend to work just plug and play very well though. Mostly because pc games tend to be looked down upon when they come designed with a controller in mind. Look at how harshly Defiance has been treated in that regard. Things like xpadder are available, but they are not accessible. In a great number of ways I agree that pc gaming is holding the industry in general back.

As for the "xbox 360 does that" it really was not what he was talking about. I was watching a futurist panel a week or two ago where they were discussing the future of gaming, and it was said pretty clearly that it will be moving away from the "game box" model that is currently employed because the tech for it is growing all the time. One of the big examples given was a move to a more Netflix style service backed by tv hardware, using things like the Apple Tv that already comes with gigs of onboard storage and ram that currently is not really being used. The chip that Nvidia just released for monitors to stabilize fps I see as another step in that direction.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    he honestly doesnt have a clue what he is even talking about. for being a "game guy", his ignorance is astounding.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I realize I  am a vanishing breed. I only play on PC with a keyboard and mouse.  That doesn't mean I can't see the truth in what he says.  There are enough games on PC so I expect I will be happy for years.  
  • LMAO - I don't know who the guy in the video is but he's and idiot. Come on any time any day come play a FPS with me. i'll use keyboard and mouse, who I'm up against can use a controller, we'll see which has superior control.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

The thing is that for now, consoles will always be limited by the fact that they are static. Sure you can do a little tweak here and there but large by large they will remain the same. The PC otoh can be upgraded, modified and adapted.

And while i agree that a controller is good for some games (especially if they were made for a controller to begin with like the Arkham and GTA series of games) the PC again gives you a lot more options, both in what type if device you use and how you have it set up.

On the flip side ofc is that the PC is expensive as f-nut to keep up to date and it takes a brave soul to start mucking around with it. A skill set way way waaaaay beyond the average users comfort zone. (trust me.. i used to work tech support) while the console is plug n play  and never worry about a thing.

But until the day you aim in a console shooter by moving the entire controller rather then a thumb-stick the PC will always be superior in the control department. Just like how the controller will always be superior for racing games since you do not need to rely on a 1/0 for movement.

This have been a good conversation

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by monochrome19

There is nothing "insulting" or "ignorant" whatsoever about this video. It's actually quite brilliant.

yea hooking my PC to a TV with a router doesnt sound ignorant at all.  Its his lack of knowledge about the subject and stereo typing the PC gamer is whats insulting. Please look at the video and actually listen to what he says before you comment your self.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I don't know why he started off on that PC on TV and controller vs KB/Mouse tangent because the real point of his rant was about piracy and the fact that the suits won't make PC games as long as they think a few thousand of their billion dollar empire will get swallowed by pirates.

The bottom line truth of his speech?

PCs will not get all the best Triple A titles because there are suits behind the real game-making talent pinching blood from every last penny. in short.... Greed.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

yea hooking my PC to a TV with a router doesnt sound ignorant at all.  Its his lack of knowledge about the subject and stereo typing the PC gamer is whats insulting. Please look at the video and actually listen to what he says before you comment your self.

You were being trolled and you took the bait.

@everyone who keeps focusing on controller vs mouse:

THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE MARKET DOES NOT CARE IF THE MOUSE IS MORE ACCURATE.  Clearly if they did then consoles would not be absolutely crushing the pc market. Similarly Tawess argument that pc's are better cause you can upgrade them, the market does not really care. Go take a look at the Steam Survey!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

The beauty of a console is that it is a dedicated piece of hardware that developers can fine tune and improve their engines around over years. That is why you have 2nd 3rd 4th even 5th generation console games on the same platform that look better and run smoother with each iteration.

PCs on the other hand not only have a nearly infinite number of hardware configurations to deal with, but new devices and drivers are being added and tweaked constantly. Compared to a console, its an optimization nightmare.

True PC gaming is for hardware enthusiasts like many on these forums. And in the end, they are going to get the prettiest graphics with triple monitor setups and all the best bells and whistles. But dont pretend like its some low maintenance easily accessible hobby. It takes a lot of time and money to setup and maintain a proper PC gaming rig. And you're never done tweaking.

Consoles are a cheap, dedicated piece of hardware which benefits gamers two fold: the games not only look better as the console matures but the price point drops as well. That is really hard to beat when compared to the time, money, and upkeep of a proper PC gaming rig.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

And yet, all the hateful PC gamers posting in this thread along with yourself are filling that stereotype perfectly. Bravo!

He looked at the video. I looked at the video. He's correct. The fact that you don't like what the guy has to say does not change this in any way, shape, or form. Furthermore I've yet to see a single valid argument as to why he's wrong throughout this whole thread. It's all been ad hominem attacks followed by claims that he doesn't know what he's talking about, without actually saying why.

I find it hilarious that many of the responses here are the exact kind of thing you'd expect from the Xbox LIVE crowd which PC gamers claim to be above. I guess console & PC gamers aren't all that dissimilar after all, huh? Imagine that.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

And yet, all the hateful PC gamers posting in this thread along with yourself are filling that stereotype perfectly. Bravo!

He looked at the video. I looked at the video. He's correct. The fact that you don't like what the guy has to say does not change this in any way, shape, or form. Furthermore I've yet to see a single valid argument as to why he's wrong throughout this whole thread. It's all been ad hominem attacks followed by claims that he doesn't know what he's talking about, without actually saying why.

I find it hilarious that many of the responses here are the exact kind of thing you'd expect from the Xbox LIVE crowd which PC gamers claim to be above. I guess console & PC gamers aren't all that dissimilar after all, huh? Imagine that.

This^

Originally posted by Foomerang

The beauty of a console is that it is a dedicated piece of hardware that developers can fine tune and improve their engines around over years. That is why you have 2nd 3rd 4th even 5th generation console games on the same platform that look better and run smoother with each iteration.

PCs on the other hand not only have a nearly infinite number of hardware configurations to deal with, but new devices and drivers are being added and tweaked constantly. Compared to a console, its an optimization nightmare.

True PC gaming is for hardware enthusiasts like many on these forums. And in the end, they are going to get the prettiest graphics with triple monitor setups and all the best bells and whistles. But dont pretend like its some low maintenance easily accessible hobby. It takes a lot of time and money to setup and maintain a proper PC gaming rig. And you're never done tweaking.

Consoles are a cheap, dedicated piece of hardware which benefits gamers two fold: the games not only look better as the console matures but the price point drops as well. That is really hard to beat when compared to the time, money, and upkeep of a proper PC gaming rig.

And that^

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Me: 1
    PC Gamers: 0
    Now I'm not the type to toot my own horn but... toot toot!
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Originally posted by Foomerang

THe price point for consoles is higher than PC. Games also are more expensive. The only thing the lowers the price is age of the hardware. Just like the PC. XBox One is $500, I can build a system with better specs for less. About to buy a micro ATX system I got from newegg to use for a entertainment system. With everything, It comes out to just over $350.

I do agree that PC has a config issue for developers, but it is not a new issue.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• KremchekKremchek Member Posts: 49
    I actually thought he was pretty funny and insightful but whatev.
  • Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Since 2010 the revenue from PC games is higher than from consoles. Currently it is 11,6 bil $ vs 8,2 bil $ (I googled it).

Where is this superiority of consoles everyone speaks of? I believe all of the PC doomsaying is just marketing to get more players to buy a console. Also the 10 year life cycle he speaks of is just a lie to convince you to buy. Sure, you will be able to buy stuff for it in 10 years time, but will you really want to?

I can guarantee that there will be new consoles every 4-5 years if not even earlier.

His hilarious rhetoric is just part of a big smear campaign against the PC. There will be enough people (mostly casuals) who will believe him and invest into a console for the wrong reasons. Thats his goal.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Pfft.. what an idiot.. completly missing the point of a PC.

The point of a console is to have a simple machine to play games on.

The point of a PC is to have it do whatever you want it to do.

And no matter what piece of hardware you chose to get. Be it Mac, PC, Xbox or PS. They all look, pretty much, the same on the inside.

The major problem I have always had with consoles is the concept of designed obsolecense. Either it will brick the day the waranty runs out or there will be no more games made for it a couple of years later.

If something fails on my PC I can fairly cheaply replace or upgrade a part. 

Sure, PCs require more tinkering with both hardware and software. But Im quite comfortable with that. And I get that most people arent as comfortable with all that. But, from what I have seen of game developement in the past decade PCs arent becoming obsolete as fast as they used to. The hardware is just so far beyond what the games require.

For all those that haven't either the skill, time or inclination to bother with all that though. I can definatly see how their needs could be served by a console and a tablet of some sort. 

But if I were to have avoided the PC, while still having my needs met, I would have had to buy a console, a tablet, a TV, a metric shit-ton of periferals, and it would still be nowhere close. 

If I ever feel like playing with a controller its just a matter of getting one for my PC.. But I would probably get a flight stick or steering wheel before I would ever concider playing any of the games that are made for a control pad.. Please note that Im not claiming that a keyboard is a particularly good game controller. It is the worst possible for multiple key presses and not particularly ergonomic for most things.. plus there are all the other keys in the way. The mouse makes up for most of that though. 

Only thing I dont like about the PC is that playing PC games arent a particular social activity, unless you have 2 computers. I dont even know if it will handle 2 controllers.

Anyways. Consoles are a commuter ticket for the subway, while the PC is a car or possibly a motorcycle since it only seats one.

One runs reliably on rails for no effort and the other will take you whereever you want to go whenever you want, but you may have to tinker with it or pay someone to keep it running.

Originally posted by Inf666

Since 2010 the revenue from PC games is higher than from consoles. Currently it is 11,6 bil $ vs 8,2 bil $ (I googled it).

Ignoring your conspiracy theory gibberish, got a link? Cause the only way that list makes sense is if you are including mobile apps and the like.

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

This guy is right on a couple of things, retarded on the rest and about 5 years late in information all around, but for a Public Service Announcement speaker he is a necessary evil.

Gotta love to bash him, you know he expects it.