Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games I could possibly lose track of time in?

samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 96

I've been bored all day.. hoping from one MMO to the next trying to find a game I can just play all day and night and forget about the world. </emo>

I've been playing Tera and Neverwinter off and on all week, but I can't seem to stay focused on the games for very long. I've been searching for a game, any game, doesn't even have to be an MMO, that I could just sink into my chair and play for 8-10 hours straight with complete focus. Like Skyrim.. or Fallout.. Except I'm burnt out on those games. I've played 95% of the MMO's out there and I also have an Xbox and PS3.. but I don't want to spend $60 or even $30 on a game i'll only play once. (half the games in my Steam library....)  

Anyway, just thought i'd poke the forums to see if anyone could maybe give me a few suggestions. Though, I bet a lot of you are in the same boat as me. Nothing out there these days seems to be enough. Not like they used to be. =

PS:

A few games not to suggest are: GW, GW2, Any Asian MMO, EVE, SWTOR, Any Elder Scrolls game, Any Fallout, Defiance, Any Tales game, Any GTA game, Minecraft, Any Multiplayer or Coop game that requires me get my friends online to play with me.

The games listed I have either beat the crap out of or am still playing but don't feel like playing them right now... What deos that leave you with? Not much...

Comments

• IrishbeardIrishbeard Member UncommonPosts: 21
    From the sound of it, and I say this with all do respect. Sounds to me like you need a break and get out a lot more. I'm only saying...
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Kerbal Space Program

I have sat down many times thinking I would fit in a quick hour session before bed only to realize it is 4 am and I have to work at 8.

• samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Irishbeard
    From the sound of it, and I say this with all do respect. Sounds to me like you need a break and get out a lot more. I'm only saying...

I completely agree with you. But, that won't solve my problem tonight of having nothing interesting to play lol. I wanna pull an all-nighter.. with nothing to do. See my problem?

• AceMasterAceMaster Member UncommonPosts: 35

the secret world is strangly addictive

Until you get endgame and need to farm dungeons, you can play solo.

What i like about the game is the atmosphere and the skill progression system (altough not perfect)

With one character you can be damage dealer, healer, or tank, and you can switch back and forth in seconds(there is mod for that)

Skill animation kinda suck, well actually they don't it's just that from 500 skills, there are probably less than 50 animations

(you can switch to more of a 3rd person shooter if you want, default key "t", took me a while to find out about this)

I like the quest system. you can repeat all quests that aren't main story.Altough limited they are enough to keep you entertained.

Investigation mission are fun and frustrating at the same time (you can recognize them by a computer icon when you take them). A little bit of spoilers, some require knowing morse code, translating, decoding, reading lore, searching google for information (not talking about walkthrough, but something like the author of a book might be the password)

Other games, hmm i liked and finished tomb raider and farcry 3(they are kinda similar) but i don't think i could play them for more than 2-3 hours at a time.

If you are looking for something free and addictive, firefall might be for you :)

The problem is that it gets borring after a while. Firefall is the only game that i could play on and off and on again. But when i did play, it was addictive and fun.

• UristMcDwarfUristMcDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 111

There's Mount & Blade: Warband if you haven't already played it. It's a fantastic strategy game with awesome first/third person combat. You can spend hours getting immersed into the single player, or spend even more in its multiplayer with up to a hundred or so other players. A great vanilla experience with even better mods.

I also second the Kerbal Space Progress suggestion. It's a spaceship building sandbox game that will leave you designing rockets for hours on end.

Then there's Dwarf Fortress. The "graphics" are atrocious, with tilesets to make it less atrocious.. but the game definitely makes up for it with detailed and imaginative gameplay. Hell, you'll spend hours just learning how to play the game. Plus it's entirely free!

Lastly, I'd suggest maybe FTL: Faster Than Light - a very straight forward roguelike where you control a small crew on a tiny spaceship that you fly around the galaxy getting into various trouble. 

I'm not sure if you would enjoy these games or not, but I have to say that each brought me many hours of uninterrupted gameplay.

Currently Playing:
    nothing :(

• crasset15crasset15 Member UncommonPosts: 194

If you haven't played DayZ mod yet,  it's defo worth a try (wasting 20$ on arma 2 is a different question, considering the full dayz game could release in a week)

Mass effect 1 and 2 are on steam sale for 3 and 5 eur, good games again.

For a random MMO, wurm online is a decent sandbox with open world everything (see 'life is feudal's' trailer on this site, they're similar games)

path of exile if you like random mob killing a.k.a diablo 2.

world of tanks for random tank pew pew

war thunder for random plane pew pew

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by samooryesord

I've been bored all day.. hoping from one MMO to the next trying to find a game I can just play all day and night and forget about the world.

I've been playing Tera and Neverwinter off and on all week, but I can't seem to stay focused on the games for very long. I've been searching for a game, any game, doesn't even have to be an MMO, that I could just sink into my chair and play for 8-10 hours straight with complete focus. Like Skyrim.. or Fallout.. Except I'm burnt out on those games. I've played 95% of the MMO's out there and I also have an Xbox and PS3.. but I don't want to spend $60 or even $30 on a game i'll only play once. (half the games in my Steam library....)  

Anyway, just thought i'd poke the forums to see if anyone could maybe give me a few suggestions. Though, I bet a lot of you are in the same boat as me. Nothing out there these days seems to be enough. Not like they used to be. =

PS:

A few games not to suggest are: GW, GW2, Any Asian MMO, EVE, SWTOR, Any Elder Scrolls game, Any Fallout, Defiance, Any Tales game, Any GTA game, Minecraft, Any Multiplayer or Coop game that requires me get my friends online to play with me.

The games listed I have either beat the crap out of or am still playing but don't feel like playing them right now... What deos that leave you with? Not much...

I guess World of Warcraft is an easy way to get addicted and forget about time.

• samooryesordsamooryesord Member UncommonPosts: 96

Thanks a lot for these suggestions guys! I'll try them all out today and choose my poison tonight to stay up and play. Just want this weekend to be over lol

I used to play Secret World, but none of my friends played so I quit. I didn't really want to get into it for that reason. But since you're saying I can play it solo.. I may as well give it another shot.

Kerbal Space Program doesn't seem like my type of game. I've played simulations before but nothing like that. I played Sims 1, 2 and 3 and a few flight sims. I dunno, guess i'll get the demo and try it!

Mount and Blade I never thought about cause I'm not much into that type of stategy game. I'm more of a Warcraft or Starcraft or Age of Empires type strategy. 

Dwarf Fortress i've tried and didn't find it very fun. I still play FTL every now and then but I cou;dn't play it all night lol.

I still play Path of Exile off and on.. but never really could play it for more than a few hours.

I've beat all the Mass Effect games and enjoyed the heck out of them. 

And I used to play WoW for years back before the Lich King came out and I can't see mysellf going back to that game, especially since all my friends quit.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.. i'll think about them all today lol

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

You can surely get lost for hours in Path of Exile

Easy to play, hard to master, instant gratification with awesome item and skill progression. Can be played for minutes or hours as it is instant ARPG action with MMO aspects such as Global Chat and tournaments so not to make you feel alnoe. It is truly an exceptional game and much better than just an APRG or Diablo clone, you can definitely get lost for hours and either solo or co-op/party and not feel alone no matter what you are doing.

Path of Exile is definitely a breath of fresh air as it takes tried and true old school gameplay and slight tweaks the formula to make it feel more modern, they haven't reinvented the wheel, but they have damn sure made it roll better.

Also a word of note, it just recently released on Steam and has achievements so that is even more icing on the cake.

EDIT: Whoop, just noticed you mentioned POE in your most recent post, ah well, still recommend it.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337

terraria

eldritch

civilization

sir you are being hunted

stalker series

fallen enchantress : legendary heroes

x series

endless space

crusader kings 2

europa universalis 4

kerbal space program

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Heavily modded Skyrim

Civilization V

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

The Civilization games

just one more turn...

• Tgiordano92Tgiordano92 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I was in your same spot about 2 weeks ago......and then i got hooked on GTA Online. It just clicked for me and its extrememly addicting. But having said not to reccomend a GTA game I would say DC Universe. only MMO I can really get into atm.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Anything I'd have suggested was already on the don't mention list.

One related comment is about dietary or recreational stimulants.  If I'm a bit revved up, I have trouble achieving timelessness in gaming.  I think it's the anxiety side effect.  I don't want to be stressed out, I just want to vegetate and game.  I don't do that well if bouncing off the walls because of Mountain Dew :-).

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

what about Oblivion?

i found Deus Ex: Human Revolution strangely addicting, something i didnt really expect.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Euro Truck Simulator 2

and I'm not kidding

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Anything I'd have suggested was already on the don't mention list.

One related comment is about dietary or recreational stimulants.  If I'm a bit revved up, I have trouble achieving timelessness in gaming.  I think it's the anxiety side effect.  I don't want to be stressed out, I just want to vegetate and game.  I don't do that well if bouncing off the walls because of Mountain Dew :-).

while certain brain 'dysfunctions' can cause others to react differently, this is a solid piece of advice.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

[/quote]You can surely get lost for hours in Path of Exile[/quote]

After about 10 hours you have experienced 95% of the content in that game. You have also experienced all the huge flaws that exist in the game and probably after about 30 hours you have realized that the freedom of character customization is horribly flawed in reality.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu. Turn the chat off and soak in the Wuxia goodness.

Planetside 2. It's kinda hard not to lose track when tanks, just, and people are shooting at you.

No digital box cost, sub if you like.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Dexter2010Dexter2010 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    You'll lose all sense of time playing WoW. Logging in to grind rep and dailies will make you fall asleep so fast! Upon waking, you'll find yourself asking "Wtf?! it's already dark out? What time is it?"
  • fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    If you haven't tried Dark Souls then you should. It can be a very challenging but also very fun game. There's been very few games where my heart starts pounding in my chest like mad and my armpits full instantly start dripping with sweat when I'm close to defeating a boss. Really fun. But using a controller is a must if you play it on PC.
  • DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

From what I can tell, you losing track of time would have the most to do with the immersion factor you feel about the game; getting lost in what you're doing in game. It also sounds like you want to sort of stay away from the instant gratification games.

That leads me to suggest some of the older school MMOs to you, namely Vanguard or LotRO or something else along those lines. I don't have as much experience with lotro but in Vanguard you can easily spend 4-5 hours running a full dungeon in a group and have it feel like much less. you just have to make sure you can deal with the lower populations and somewhat dated graphics.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by djazzy

The Civilization games

just one more turn...

:) This. Or early Settlers games.