Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A concerning Hartsman quote.

xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

While reading the interview with Hartsman, one of his replies was very unsettleing for me.

HARTSMAN: Everyone wants the same thing, which is great: A great game that's
accessible, fair, and enjoyable to the largest number of people
possible. Truly.

This statement right here has me very worried. Were these some of the changes that were alluded to buy Hartsman from XLGames themselves? Will the "accessible, fair, and enjoyable to the largest number of people" version of AA be a shell of its Korean counterpart?

I think we were left with many more questions then ones that were answered by Hartsman. The bottom line is after reading that Q&A, I'm more worried then ever about the fate of the NA version of AA.

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

While reading the interview with Hartsman, one of his replies was very unsettleing for me.

possible. Truly.

This statement right here has me very worried. Were these some of the changes that were alluded to buy Hartsman from XLGames themselves? Will the "accessible, fair, and enjoyable to the largest number of people" version of AA be a shell of its Korean counterpart?

I think we were left with many more questions then ones that were answered by Hartsman. The bottom line is after reading that Q&A, I'm more worried then ever about the fate of the NA version of AA.

You missed a word in your rant. EVE-Online is a fair game for example yet it isn't a kind game (even with the accessibility upgrades given to it for the low end players).

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Dihoru

possible. Truly.

You missed a word in your rant. EVE-Online is a fair game for example yet it isn't a kind game (even with the accessibility upgrades given to it for the low end players).

Im sorry you were trying to make sense?  Lets not single out words so its suits you. Lets work on the full statement and go from there shall we.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Seems like the generic CEO response that aims to answer the question without really revealing anything.  No alarm bells here. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Accessible= Not bogged down by overly complicated controls or excessive micro management.

Fair= a balanced play-field

Enjoyable to the largest player-base possible= Successful.

What is wrong with any of this?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

possible. Truly.

Im sorry you were trying to make sense?  Lets not single out words so its suits you. Lets work on the full statement and go from there shall we.

Indeed and you single out the word accessible and use it to turn the sentence into something it is not (which as mentioned previously is a generic CEO statement devoid of any real meaning) because lets face it if you scratch out the word accessible you will look like a fool grasping at straws (nothing new there my overly athletic friend).

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Distopia

Accessible= Not bogged down by overly complicated controls or excessive micro management.

That is complete opinion.

Some people like micro management and some people like complicated controls.

Take for example classic Resident Evil compared to current Resident Evil as it is the best example of this and has overall been a failure because it lacked what made it survival horror vs. action spam fest.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Try perception.

Whats not overly bogged down and complicated to one is insipidly easy to another

A Balanced playing field? Seriously have you ever known there to be a playing field that all players considered fair? Balance is once again a matter of perception, and the majority of players that lose will believe (and claim, holler, and Yell) that it was because the playing field was not balanced properly no matter how many years a cmpan puts in to trying to make it so.

Lastly the more you try and please the masses, the more watered down a game becomes to the point it really doesn't appeal that much to anyone.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Braindome

Take for example classic Resident Evil compared to current Resident Evil as it is the best example of this and has overall been a failure because it lacked what made it survival horror vs. action spam fest.

Two of my favorite game series are X and ARMA both of which have complicated control schemes and excessive micro management. Your point is?

Mine was, that's a big part of what has kept those games in the place they are, niche...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Braindome

Two of my favorite game series are X and ARMA both of which have complicated control schemes and excessive micro management. Your point is?

Mine was, that's a big part of what has kept those games in the place they are, niche...

My point was that he has no idea what the "majority" of players like these days and I used Resident Evil as an example as it has been a failure in comparison to past titles and has suffered major backlash.

Niche is indeed the point here and hopefully it will find a niche if its lucky, which obviously it will not with the statement he made. He only seems to care about what the numbers %'s and $$$ says. Thought that was the whole point of the thread. 

possible. Truly.

Indeed and you single out the word accessible and use it to turn the sentence into something it is not (which as mentioned previously is a generic CEO statement devoid of any real meaning) because lets face it if you scratch out the word accessible you will look like a fool grasping at straws (nothing new there my overly athletic friend).

I didnt single out any one word. I quoted a full statement made my Hartsman himself. If you bring nothing to this conversation but snide remarks, then dont even bother responding to anything in this thread.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by flizzer
    Seems like the generic CEO response that aims to answer the question without really revealing anything.  No alarm bells here. 

Be that as it may but how may of these "generic CEO responses" have lead to generic MMOs with generic game play? By the statement made by Hartsman, it would seem like AA is being steered in the direction that most other MMOs have gone in the past. Time will tell.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

A great game - a game that sells well to the audience it targets.

Accessible - People can get into the game with a minimum of fuss and faffing about with things that don't matter to them.

Fair - The game won't be arbitrary in it's distribution of wealth, progression, etc. In addition, the developer will take steps to make sure players don't exploit game mechanics to make things easier than they were intended by the developer.

Enjoyable to the largest number of people possible - given the game's setting and content, make everything work as well as it possibly can, so that as many people as possible enjoy the game.

Dur. Who in the world wants a cr@ppy game that's hard to install or get into, where the game arbitrarily kills you or where the progression isn't based on anything the player does and where few if anyone actually enjoys the game, even if they enjoy the idea of the game?

This is one of those statements that's just there to sound good, but doesn't really add any new information. The only disturbing part about it is how bland it is, and how much new information it doesn't contain about whatever Trion is doing.

Someone else already did a definition run down thing. :-(

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

You know damn well what type of game is made when following this formula.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Haven't you heard?  If a game is popular and easy to learn, it's not worthy.  It needs to be overly and unnecessarily tedious, and so difficult that only a small amount of players actually play it.  

It's the gaming version of a hipster bar.  

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Haven't you heard?  If a game is popular and easy to learn, it's not worthy.  It needs to be overly and unnecessarily tedious, and so difficult that only a small amount of players actually play it.  

It's the gaming version of a hipster bar.  

Nah...I just like micromanagement and complexity in  games because overly  simplistic games get boring after a while. Keep burning down that strawman though.

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

possible. Truly.

Im left wondering why the OP wants to buy Hartsman from XLGames........

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

possible. Truly.

There is an added level of humor and irony when you consider the answer the OP distorted was phrased within the context of the Russian payment model and how it would affect the players.

Hartsman in that statement referred to the "game". Perhaps he ment it as payment model but it doesn't read that way. When he said "game" instead of "payment model" it changed the way one would perceive his answer. Even withing the context of the question.

If he is indeed just speaking on payment model then my bad. If however his comment was broader in scoop and referred the "game" as a whole then thats something different all together.

Originally posted by DMKano
    ?Originally posted by xAPOCx

possible. Truly.

OP - you left out the QUESTION - this response was to what type of payment model AA would be.

So obviously accessible to all, fair and enjoyable are alluding to the fact that ArcheAge will be F2P with the same model as Rift (which is IMO the best model on the market)

So Hartsman is NOT talking about ArcheAge gameplay at all, he is talking about payment model - the game will still have open world PvP that is brutal like it is in Korea.

So please stop taking things out of context - ArcheAge in US/EU will be exactly the same gameplay wise.

This remains to be seen.

And i hope that what he meant and wasn't generalizing the entire game its self.

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165

In Korea they already tried to make it enjoyable for largest number of people and it failed miserably, since probably that wasn't what people wanted, they wanted ArcheAge what it was. All the changes to make it more theme parkish and appealing to everyone did not work. So what if Hartsman knows anything about Korean release he would do everything completely opposite or even better publish an older version of the game and stop fingering the game completely.

Sadly reading all those comments from the AMA shows he might have some outdated data of how the game is doing at Korea atm. ("We have a lot of faith that XL is on the right track with what they're doing with the game. ")

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

possible. Truly.

What was the question?  It sounds like an answer to a business model type question, but I can only guess, since you only stated the answer and not the question.

Edit:  I should have read through to the end, I see someone already answered this.  

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    irregardless of how dumbed down it is, which I doubt as a publisher trion has much say in that, the extended localization delay is pushing this game out of gamers interest....all it will take is one Asian publisher to push out a similar game and trion might as well not even bother.

so say we all

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    I'll just be happy when we get a working version of that game that we can play and sink our teeth into. I'm worried now that this game will fall of too many radar screens and sorta be forgotten. It's Trion's radio silence that concerns me. Eh time will tell though!
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Does it matter anymore? It's not like AA is coming out in the west anytime soon. We have heard absolutely nothing from it since the summer, when they claimed it's launching this year.

I'm predicting end of 2014, if we're lucky.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Does it matter anymore? It's not like AA is coming out in the west anytime soon. We have heard absolutely nothing from it since the summer, when they claimed it's launching this year.

I'm predicting end of 2014, if we're lucky.

That's admittedly sad, but even end of 2014, if they manage to incorporate all the changes made by XL Games, would still be before most of the upcoming sandbox games, except for The Repopulation perhaps.

World of Darkness isn't coming out in 2014 at 100%.

Pathfinder Online will only begin a very limited Early Enrollment.

Black Desert won't release in the West until 2015.

The only one would be Star Citizen, but it's going to be a very different kind of game anyway. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Hmm well for many players including myself what you predict could be horrible...

Accessible =  So streamline and easy to play that the game requires not thinking , no strategy, no coordination, no challenge beyond logging in and spamming 1-2-3 every few seconds while following glowing arrows.

Fair =  a balanced play-field  designed to the lowest common denominator with such lack of options, customization, choices that no one can make a mistake or lose including the ADHD kid that can only play for 13.5 minutes while watching TV, texting with friends and only using is left hand.

Enjoyable to the largest player-base possible =  certainly works for monetary success but the product you produce is about as good as the Pink Slime filled "Hamburgers" at McDonalds.

We don't know what direction Trion will take but if they follow the lead of the last 5 years of mainstream MMOs that have been crapped out by major developers than it could even be worse than I can imagine   :(