Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn to surpass 1.5 million accounts.

2456

Comments

  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Roanoke, VAPosts: 321Member
    I am enjoying the game thoroughly and this comes as no surprise to me. A shockwave a couple of weeks ago caused a lot of other MMO's to offer or add something to lure customers, I assumed this was because of FFXIV. 
  • doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member
    Originally posted by tommygunzII
    I am enjoying the game thoroughly and this comes as no surprise to me. A shockwave a couple of weeks ago caused a lot of other MMO's to offer or add something to lure customers, I assumed this was because of FFXIV. 

    Im sure that has nothing to do with WoW's final raid tier/content patch of their expansion being released :/

  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Roanoke, VAPosts: 321Member
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by tommygunzII
    I am enjoying the game thoroughly and this comes as no surprise to me. A shockwave a couple of weeks ago caused a lot of other MMO's to offer or add something to lure customers, I assumed this was because of FFXIV. 

    Im sure that has nothing to do with WoW's final raid tier/content patch of their expansion being released :/

    I'm sure it does too.

  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member
    Does this include those that originally purchased the game with 1.0?
  • amber-ramber-r londonPosts: 323Member
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

    http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/25/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-1-5-million-accounts-patch-2-1-coming-in-december/

    Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has seen an increase of 500 000 accounts since the Tokyo Game Show last month (when it was reported that the amount of accounts was one million).

    A massive hit to all the haters around the world, FFXIV:ARR shows strong signs of growth long since the official release has begun. The community waits in anticipation for what excuses the naysayers will think up next.

    If they would of said subscribed accounts I would of been impressed.  With this PR speak not really, 1.5 million registered accounts for a worldwide MMO isn't that impressive at all, considering most of those have probably long since quit.  Phantasy Star Online 2 which is a Japanese only MMO has 1 million registered accounts, and that is a far smaller IP.  Heck FFXI probably has 50 million registered accounts lol.  Anyway if they really did add that many new players (without losing as many or more) they would of have to of added new servers, which isn't the case.  Many of the servers they do have are medium or low population according to the server transfer announcment.

     

    The fact Square keep resorting to PR speak with these announcments leads me to believe the game is underperforming quite badly, there would be no need to resort to what they are doing if it was a genuine success.  Given that the PR speak they are putting out isn't that impressive well...speaks volumes.

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Looks like FF will continue to be a niche ip which is a good thing. They can still have 500-750k players long term and still have great success. I see no problem with that.

    Calling Final Fantasy a niche IP is funny as hell since its ranked in the top 5 most popular game series in the industry.  Its like under Mario and Zelda.  Western gamers seem to think all Japanese games are niche for some reason.  You must not have seen the sales of Final Fantasy 7-13

  • amber-ramber-r londonPosts: 323Member
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by xXAltarXx
    Originally posted by Foomerang

    You know, I really like this game and I'm gonna play it for a long time. But this thread sucks. You took some good news and cheapened it with some childish "in your face" mentality. Grow up. And stop blaming trolls for your own trollish behavior.

     

    ^ This.

    Sadly agree, there's nothing to gain from trying to rub it in peoples noses. I am glad the game is doing well. I also don't see me leaving the game any time soon, but challenging people in that way doesnt encourage them to give it a chance, its more likely to turn people away.image

    [mod edit]

    All games add new players in the first few months, the problem isn't adding new players.  The problem with MMOs is adding new players without losing vast numbers of previous players.  The fact they didn't give subscriber numbers means that more players may of quit than they gained, it's not a great position if you gained 50% more but lost 80% previously.

     

    If they really did add 50% more players since launch and didn't lose most of them where are all the new servers to take this massive influx of players?

     

    See the problem?  Once the inlfux of new players dies off the big player retention issues it has will kill it pretty quickly.

     

    Square themselves have shown most of the servers are medium/low population.

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by amber-r

    All games add new players in the first few months, the problem isn't adding new players.  The problem with MMOs is adding new players without losing vast numbers of previous players.  The fact they didn't give subscriber numbers means that more players may of quit than they gained, it's not a great position if you gained 50% more but lost 80% previously.

    If they really did add 50% more players since launch and didn't lose most of them where are all the new servers to take this massive influx of players?

    See the problem?  Once the inlfux of new players dies off the big player retention issues it has will kill it pretty quickly.

    Square themselves have shown most of the servers are medium/low population.

    The blue highlighted parts really stick out here. You can say "all games add new players" if ten people buy the game. The important thing to ask is how many new players do you acquire? S-E has acquired a sum of 50% of the original population in one month. Modern MMO's do not have such high rates of new purchases a month past release.

    Now there is no reason to believe S-E is not losing subscribers too. The endgame is a bit barren like it always is. Once again the important part is to ask how many have they lost? There is nothing to announce if the sub numbers have remained stable. MMO companies only announce something in public if there is an improvement. That doesn't necessarily equate to a net-loss, although you make it seem like it does.

    The last sentence on the other hand - where has S-E shown anything regarding server populations? My server is packed every day of the week, and it's never on the list of "full servers" you can't make characters on. That's why I find your claim hard to believe, especially regarding the low pop servers.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • amber-ramber-r londonPosts: 323Member
    Originally posted by Hyanmen
    Originally posted by amber-r

    All games add new players in the first few months, the problem isn't adding new players.  The problem with MMOs is adding new players without losing vast numbers of previous players.  The fact they didn't give subscriber numbers means that more players may of quit than they gained, it's not a great position if you gained 50% more but lost 80% previously.

    If they really did add 50% more players since launch and didn't lose most of them where are all the new servers to take this massive influx of players?

    See the problem?  Once the inlfux of new players dies off the big player retention issues it has will kill it pretty quickly.

    Square themselves have shown most of the servers are medium/low population.

    The blue highlighted parts really stick out here. You can say "all games add new players" if ten people buy the game. The important thing to ask is how many new players do you acquire? S-E has acquired a sum of 50% of the original population in one month. Modern MMO's do not have such high rates of new purchases a month past release.

    Now there is no reason to believe S-E is not losing subscribers too. The endgame is a bit barren like it always is. Once again the important part is to ask how many have they lost? There is nothing to announce if the sub numbers have remained stable. MMO companies only announce something in public if there is an improvement. That doesn't necessarily equate to a net-loss, although you make it seem like it does.

    The last sentence on the other hand - where has S-E shown anything regarding server populations? My server is packed every day of the week, and it's never on the list of "full servers" you can't make characters on. That's why I find your claim hard to believe, especially regarding the low pop servers.

    This has to be your first mmo.  All mmos add the most players 1 or 2 months.  GW2 and SWTOR destroyed FFXIV in terms of player numbers, most mmos don't artifically slow down new players by stopping digital sales for 2-3 weeks either.  If you're losing players faster than gaining them that is a horrible situation for the point when new players become exhausted.  If they really did add 50% of players and had to add no new servers (and many of the servers are medium/low) that's a horrible position.  Have you seen how little XIV is selling for on Amazon?  They aren't making much from box sales and if players are quitting so fast they aren't making anything/much from subs either.  Did you know that you can buy FFXIV for the same price as FFXI on Amazon?  Infact it's hands down the cheapest mmo you can buy on that site, rift, teras, gw2, pw are all more.

     

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/398217/Server-population.html

  • sudosudo Tel-AvivPosts: 697Member Uncommon

    Don't play the game anymore but I really liked/liked it and I think it deserves to succeed.

    "Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

  • HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by amber-r
    This has to be your first mmo.  All mmos add the most players 1 or 2 months.  GW2 and SWTOR destroyed FFXIV in terms of player numbers, most mmos don't artifically slow down new players by stopping digital sales for 2-3 weeks either.  If you're losing players faster than gaining them that is a horrible situation for the point when new players become exhausted.  If they really did add 50% of players and had to add no new servers (and many of the servers are medium/low) that's a horrible position.  Have you seen how little XIV is selling for on Amazon?  They aren't making much from box sales and if players are quitting so fast they aren't making anything/much from subs either.  Did you know that you can buy FFXIV for the same price as FFXI on Amazon?  Infact it's hands down the cheapest mmo you can buy on that site, rift, teras, gw2, pw are all more.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/398217/Server-population.html

    All mmos add the most players 1 or 2 weeks, after that the sales take a massive nosedive.

    it doesn't matter whether GW2 or SWTOR destroyed XIV in player numbers, you even said this yourself. What matters is player retention.

    Like I said, companies announce something when there is an improvement. That S-E has not announced an improvement does not mean there is a net loss of subs.

    "Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

  • SatimasuSatimasu Winter Park, FLPosts: 900Member Uncommon
    Is everyone forgetting that Final Fantasy XIV launched in 2010? If anything, this game broke the trend of MMO'ers never giving games a second chance. It looks like they have with this. That alone is impressive. We'll see how the game does long term. I'm not worried about it though. They expected to have horrible numbers starting and grow the base over time like they what happened with 1.0, only to have that absolutely not happen. This is history making whether you like it or not.

    image
    To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

  • doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member
    Originally posted by Satimasu
    Is everyone forgetting that Final Fantasy XIV launched in 2010? If anything, this game broke the trend of MMO'ers never giving games a second chance. It looks like they have with this. That alone is impressive. We'll see how the game does long term. I'm not worried about it though. They expected to have horrible numbers starting and grow the base over time like they what happened with 1.0, only to have that absolutely not happen. This is history making whether you like it or not.

    And the only thing similer is the name. That's like saying SWTOR launched in 2003...

  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member
    I want blood.

    Someone is going to pay for the cynisism I have for the mmo gamimg industry. And it starts right here, right now, with FFXIV ARR. Burn the witch!
  • Psion33Psion33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 248Member

    I got a friend invite email and I tried it for a week...and no way in heck am I going back to that game. From the ground up it's not an MMO I would ever consider playing.

     

    Lack of pvp, end game content everyone looks the same. Classes are a mess....no thanks.

  • SatimasuSatimasu Winter Park, FLPosts: 900Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by Satimasu
    Is everyone forgetting that Final Fantasy XIV launched in 2010? If anything, this game broke the trend of MMO'ers never giving games a second chance. It looks like they have with this. That alone is impressive. We'll see how the game does long term. I'm not worried about it though. They expected to have horrible numbers starting and grow the base over time like they what happened with 1.0, only to have that absolutely not happen. This is history making whether you like it or not.

    And the only thing similer is the name. That's like saying SWTOR launched in 2003...

    That makes no sense. I don't remember SWTOR being a relaunch of SWG. FFXIV wasn't a relaunch of XI either. FFXIVARR is a relaunch of FFXIV, that's all. I could have sworn there were people saying this game would never get another chance because it failed before. Now that has gotten another chance, it doesn't mean anything. Whatever floats your boat.

    image
    To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

  • jskeets916jskeets916 Folsom, CAPosts: 154Member
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by xXAltarXx
    Originally posted by Foomerang
    You know, I really like this game and I'm gonna play it for a long time. But this thread sucks. You took some good news and cheapened it with some childish "in your face" mentality. Grow up. And stop blaming trolls for your own trollish behavior.

     

    ^ This.

    Sadly agree, there's nothing to gain from trying to rub it in peoples noses. I am glad the game is doing well. I also don't see me leaving the game any time soon, but challenging people in that way doesnt encourage them to give it a chance, its more likely to turn people away.image

    Why is your glass so half-empty? There's nothing to lose either.

    It's quite hilarious in a sad way, how people want me to take the high road when in reality this thread has turned to be two pages of exactly how I predicted. In other words this forum is not worth taking the high road, and you will come to see it over-time if you don't happen to think so. Of course it can be argued that my OP triggered the reaction but in that case I can only say that you must be new to the MMORPG.com community. :D

    The best thing about this thread so far for me is how people cling to the fact 1.5 million is "not so much" when the real news is the game has seen an increase of 50% in total accounts even a month after the release. Every other modern MMO ever grows exponentially in the first few weeks and then takes a complete nosedive. FFXIV:ARR happens to be a different story, and this seems to be a hard bit to swallow.

    It is also hilariously easy to see who is actually playing the game based on how people bring up the RMT. When was it I saw an RMT shout last time, hmm, maybe 2 weeks ago... yep they must be the majority of the half a million accounts.

     

    Your 100% accurate about this community in the beginning of this post, don't let the trolls fool you they are dieing inside to see this game fail like they have touted on countless threads and is evident at the irrational excuse of rmt accounts representing any significant majority.


    You know what will be fun? After 2.1, 2.2 and ps4 launch when the game will really take off.



    These kiddies will be so sad their 6 month shut down predictions were invalid.


    Oh haters who keep claiming 1.5 mil box sales isn't impressive, besides swtor what other game has done this since WoW???

    I'll wait...
  • rafalex007rafalex007 dubaiPosts: 244Member
    1. Originally posted by Psion33

    I got a friend invite email and I tried it for a week...and no way in heck am I going back to that game. From the ground up it's not an MMO I would ever consider playing.

     

    Lack of pvp, end game content everyone looks the same. Classes are a mess....no thanks.

    every one say that about every single mmo that have just lunched am starting to wonder is it really true or just blha blha blha blha blha i hate the game

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    Burn the witch!

  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Monticello, MNPosts: 418Member

    This game is so trashy that it got my sister pregnant & then claimed it wasn't the father.

     

    This game will not be welcome in my house until it accepts responsibility for it's actions.

     

    I want justice!

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member

    joking aside,  I wish FFXIV well

    i think any new  mmo would welcome claiming over 1 million accounts

    doubt they will announce sub#s -- or at least RIFT never did

  • crasset15crasset15 TallinnPosts: 183Member

    I was tempted to buy this game at lauch, but after some consideration decided to pass, since I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did with GW2 - buying a game blindly which then turns out to not be my style at all in any shape or form.

    I haven't played any FF game ever, heck I haven't even watched a single video of anyone playing any FF game, so this entire setting is a big mystery to me. If they manage to keep the sub for 1 year, I'll probably look into it. If it goes freemium, then it's pretty obvious that this is just a 'new and shiny thing' on the market, which has sales because of hype, not quality (not saying this is a fact).

  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor FalkirkPosts: 222Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by crasset15

    I was tempted to buy this game at lauch, but after some consideration decided to pass, since I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did with GW2 - buying a game blindly which then turns out to not be my style at all in any shape or form.

    I haven't played any FF game ever, heck I haven't even watched a single video of anyone playing any FF game, so this entire setting is a big mystery to me. If they manage to keep the sub for 1 year, I'll probably look into it. If it goes freemium, then it's pretty obvious that this is just a 'new and shiny thing' on the market, which has sales because of hype, not quality (not saying this is a fact).

    Good call, I wish I hadn't gotten burnt... twice! :( I keep saying "Never again!" then go out and buy the newest MMO/game that turns out to be nothing like it was meant to be. Money to burn I guess. :(

    No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

    image

    ...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,494Member Uncommon

    One little wrinkle - the original article clearly states "registered accounts" - the wording is important, because technically you can register an account with SE without even buying the game.

     

  • PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

    One little wrinkle - the original article clearly states "registered accounts" - the wording is important, because technically you can register an account with SE without even buying the game.

     

    registered accounts means they registered their 'key's so unless your suggesting they stole them? then surely that means they bought the game, hence the 'registered account' status.image

Sign In or Register to comment.