Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD 290X beats TITAN for almost half the price!!!

ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Sorry for making another topic but this is to importend NEW CARD to not let you know about fastest single gpu plus cheap price.

I know most nvidia fans dont believe or wanne hear this but AMD 290x is faster in most benchmarks that countS and firestrikes which is showcase from futuremark in DX11 beats TITAN also.

AMD 290x OC(easy OC) is even more rediculously fast.

And that for half the price!!!

Its HOT very hot so you need a good cooling case and noise is also louder then most but card is fast and cheap.

ADVICE: I should wait for the branch makers like ASUS-XFX-MSI or others who will prolly have alot better cooling fans on the BEAST.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Comments

• VerenathVerenath Member UncommonPosts: 61
    You could have at least tried to proofread your post before submitting it.  It's just a chore to read otherwise.  Mine may not be perfect but they are at least easy to understand.  Also, don't make additional posts covering the same thing.  

-Verenath-

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Its amazing what AMD is doing for video cards.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Guru3d
    Anandtech
    Tweakers net
    Hardware.nl
    Tom's hardware:In the spirit of getting massive performance at a substantial discount, then, I’m giving AMD’s Radeon R9 290X Tom’s Hardware’s Elite award—the first time a graphics card has received this honor, I believe, during my tenure. The decision was controversial. Nvidia still does thermals, acoustics, and aesthetics better. But now it’s also charging a hefty premium for those luxuries. AMD’s card is faster, cheaper, and it makes an effort to keep acoustics under control, so long as you stick with its Quiet mode. AMD reworked its approach to CrossFire and now has a more elegant solution that, while not perfect (we still measured dropped and runt frames in Skyrim, along with notable variance in other titles), does facilitate frame pacing right out of the gate at resolutions all the way up to 7680x1440. I’ll get more enthusiastic about the R9 290X if third-party designs start showing up with better cooling. Until then, it’d be downright negligent to not recognize this card’s class-leading performance at a price we paid for Radeon HD 7970 two years ago.

Proof enough

Plus benchmarks with firestrike don't lie they beat titan sorry:P
    - Fastest card ? - yup

- Free game ? – yup

- Pooped all over titan ? –yup

Whats there to proof 549$ or 500euros faster then 780 and equal or faster then titan(cost1000$).

No brainer to me.

Originally posted by vission
    You could have at least tried to proofread your post before submitting it.  It's just a chore to read otherwise.  Mine may not be perfect but they are at least easy to understand.  Also, don't make additional posts covering the same thing.  

Ill bet if someone makes more post about nvidia you would not complain.

Plus its not the same i state facts on a importend videocard released which is a real new card other topic was a gues or announcement topic.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It's a video card, not a cure for cancer.

Sure, it's neat, but it's still niche. Even at $550 it's out of the reach of the vast majority of gamers.

nVidia gained back ground with Kepler and retook the lead, but keep in mind that before that, AMD had the speed crown handily for many years. It's nice to see them get it back, but they are getting locked into the same corner than nVidia did with Fermi: the cards run too hot and are too inefficient to continue to scale. nVidia was able to reboot Fermi into Kepler and get back on track, and we haven't seen Kepler scaling yet.

I'm not saying GCN is dead, or that it can't compete. It obviously is extremely competitive. If it's just a matter of doing some efficiency tuning, it has some long legs on it. If you do watt per unit performance, I'm not sure how GCN 1.0 scales against 2.0, but it really looks like they just really wanted to beat Titan really badly, and cranked the card up to 11 in order to get there - thermals and power be damned.

I would probably be more interested in the 290 (not X), and see if it runs a bit more reasonable in the thermal department. Most people don't need top-notch performance, particularly playing at 1080p. By the time 4K monitors become more mainstream (and that really is the shining point of the 290X), so will this level of GPU power, and it will all be more affordable. If your playing on one now, or playing on multiple monitors now, it makes sense, and maybe even Crossfire (but then again so did Titan w/ SLI). But I wouldn't buy one now just for the purpose of possibly going to a 4K monitor in the future. Buy your new video card (whatever that happens to be) when you buy that new 4K monitor.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Its HOT very hot so you need a good cooling case and noise is also louder then most but card is fast and cheap.

wooho, that´s what I need... a cheap card to grill my cheese on, and investing hundreds into cooling and noise reduction, so I don´t have too keep my PC case in another room

yeah sorry, I´ll stick with my ultra silent nvidia GTX 680 for a while, more than enough for my needs

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

I'm just going to leave this right here for those that have an open enough mind to accept a different perspective on the card from a well respected review site.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_r9_290x_review/1

If you have the time and care about this card or it's potential impact on the market I suggest reading the written review and watching the associated video.

I follow all the sites listed in this thread and find the majority of them to be decent but none of them are as up front as TTL IMHO.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    You could buy a ps4 and a couple of games for that price.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by miguksaram

I'm just going to leave this right here for those that have an open enough mind to accept a different perspective on the card from a well respected review site.

If you have the time and care about this card or it's potential impact on the market I suggest reading the written review and watching the associated video.

I follow all the sites listed in this thread and find the majority of them to be decent but none of them are as up front as TTL IMHO.

Lemme see.

Silent mode only (aka slower mode)?

Check.

Lets pretend the MSI 780 Gaming doesn't cost £100 more?

Check.

Lets pretend all the 780s are non reference?

Check.

Oh, lets not forget the cooler (in his opinion) is ugly.

(and nvm triple monitor setups, where the higher bandwidth, ROPs and beefier front end of the R9 290X surpass the Titan).

The downside of the R290X is the cooler. Once non reference cards arrive, the downside is gone. It consumes more than a 780, it is also faster than one. That OC 780 will consume a bit more power than the stock 780.

Next Thursday R9 290, at around the 780 stock speed and for $200 less.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by cura
    Sounds great but not for me. Its hot and loud and its ATI which i found many years ago to be not very reliable.

Things never change at all...

I mean ATi hasn't been acquired by AMD or anything.

I'm sure that is why in a enthusiast hardware forum like anandtech, in a recent poll the majority owns AMD cards.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2346830

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Sounds great but not for me. Its hot and loud and its ATI which i found many years ago to be not very reliable.

Whether or not ATI cards were reliable is ancient history at this point.  It's been about seven years since they were bought out.  The reliability of individual cards also depends greatly on the design by the board partner.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Whether or not ATI cards were reliable is ancient history at this point.  It's been about seven years since they were bought out.  The reliability of individual cards also depends greatly on the design by the board partner.

I bought my new system a year ago with the 7970 installed and had tons of issues with driver reliability.  Changed over to a GTX 680 and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  I'll pay a premium for not only greater reliability, but for components with low temperatures and quiet acoustics, which by the way are not luxuries, but necessities in my book.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I bought my new system a year ago with the 7970 installed and had tons of issues with driver reliability.  Changed over to a GTX 680 and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  I'll pay a premium for not only greater reliability, but for components with low temperatures and quiet acoustics, which by the way are not luxuries, but necessities in my book.

Heat and trons do not mix.  I could care less if the GPU is faster if the temp is so hot that you have to have major cooling on your rig then I wouldn't buy it.  Besides, I like Vorthanion and some others, have had nothing but bad experiences with AMD.  I will not buy one no matter how fast because my experience says they suck.  If others want them cause they are faster, then go ahead, it's your money.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Lemme see.

Silent mode only (aka slower mode)?

Check.

Lets pretend the MSI 780 Gaming doesn't cost £100 more?

Check.

Lets pretend all the 780s are non reference?

Check.

Oh, lets not forget the cooler (in his opinion) is ugly.

(and nvm triple monitor setups, where the higher bandwidth, ROPs and beefier front end of the R9 290X surpass the Titan).

The downside of the R290X is the cooler. Once non reference cards arrive, the downside is gone. It consumes more than a 780, it is also faster than one. That OC 780 will consume a bit more power than the stock 780.

Next Thursday R9 290, at around the 780 stock speed and for $200 less.

If you really want to hear how loud that thing gets when pushed feel free to scroll down to the comments section of that same link and find the youtube video of it.  If that kind of noise is your thing so be it but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you would be in the minority if that is a true statement.

Cooler design is indeed personal preference but performance/quality is not and in that department AMD has failed in it's reference model.

I live in the U.S. so I don't have to deal with the pricing issues that seem to plague the U.K. regarding AMD vs. Nvidia cards but TTL does and he clearly states the cost of the MSI GTX 780 Gaming card is readily available today at 480 pounds vis 450 pounds for the new reference AMD Radeon R9 290x.  That is hardly the difference you have listed above.

With all that said I mentioned in the other thread discussing this very topic I'm willing to hold on my personal opinion of this card until AMD allows for third party companies to release it with improved cooling options. 

EDIT:  Last time I checked AMD has consistently been better than Nvidia with regards to multi-monitor setups so if that is a personal consideration in a given build I would almost always advise an AMD card.  I'm not sure how that type of common knowledge plays into the argument of the new AMD Radeon R9 290x vs Nvidia GTX 780 or Titan.  Yes you can test hardware limitations but only if the software is sufficient enough to support each platform equally, otherwise you are bottlenecked by the software.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    If you're looking to spend significantly more than $300 on a video card today, I'd recommend waiting, regardless of which card you want to get eventually.  The Radeon R9 290X will surely have better coolers available soon, and the R9 290 non-X is also coming soon.  On the Nvidia side, the GeForce GTX 780 Ti is coming soon, and the GeForce GTX 780 non-Ti will surely see a major price cut.  The GeForce GTX 770 also needs a price cut to be competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen soon.

I'm just going to leave this right here for those that have an open enough mind to accept a different perspective on the card from a well respected review site.http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/amd_r9_290x_review/1If you have the time and care about this card or it's potential impact on the market I suggest reading the written review and watching the associated video.I follow all the sites listed in this thread and find the majority of them to be decent but none of them are as up front as TTL IMHO.
    They advertise to buy nvidia the reviewer is nvidia fan and all replyers to review are nvidia fans lol.

While almost all sides show benchmarks that beats titan you show a nvidia side with 780 beats not only on most occasions 290x but also titan lol.

Way to go nvidia showing a nvidia fansite link.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by cura Sounds great but not for me. Its hot and loud and its ATI which i found many years ago to be not very reliable.

I went from nvidia to AMD in 2009 when 5870 where released and ive not ones had trouble with drivers or card sind then i changed to 6970 and 7970 and all those years ZERO problems i hear on the other camp nvidia had plenty of problems(GW2-DayZ) with drivers while i had none.
    Im still with my 7970 which run all smoothly on ultra and np at all sinds i bought it at launch.

Seems you have done something wrong lol.

You eather like AMD or not its matter of taste.

For me if a card is good price and it runs smoothly then i'll buy it AMD or Nvidia i dont care which one. For now im still with AMD becouse im content with there products and STABLE drivers and there good price performance ratio.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Yeah then its performance is actually bad in a home pc due to poor ati drivers. Happens all the time. I prefer nvidia because while it is more expensive at least it will work without a hitch in everygame, unlike ati cards, where half the time they need special patches and drivers to work properly in games.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    got my first Radeon with the 7970 and I will never buy another Radeon again...Nvidia over 8 years never caused me issues...I will pay extra for better software even if Radeon put up better hardware.

Originally posted by Siveria
    Yeah then its performance is actually bad in a home pc due to poor ati drivers. Happens all the time. I prefer nvidia because while it is more expensive at least it will work without a hitch in everygame, unlike ati cards, where half the time they need special patches and drivers to work properly in games.

I dont know why you guys keep digging this old story up about ati drivers are bad that was years ago, its bit sad you nvidia guys need this to hide your guilt not buying a AMD for less money with superb performance but expensive nvidia with driver problems:P

If a card is cheap and perform well i buy it simple as that.

Its so funny how you nvidia fans seem to be nervous or threatend by this new release comming here telling AMD have bad drivers while you guys not have AMD for years.

So when some product is bad you you condem it for eternity lol.

Ive heared plenty of problems over many games with nvidia cards and drivers, seems not exclusive to AMD but offcorse you guys have perfect cards and drivers you don't these problems hey ist always someone else right?

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Stick with my 680GTX until the 800 series come out next year.

Originally posted by Horusra
    got my first Radeon with the 7970 and I will never buy another Radeon again...Nvidia over 8 years never caused me issues...I will pay extra for better software even if Radeon put up better hardware.

Thats strange i have for years AMD and never have any problems how come?