Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EVE Online: First Hand Preview Of EVE Valkyrie

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

EVE Online: Valkyrie is poised to set the gaming world on its ear with a unique gaming perspective. We recently had the opportunity to get a first hand on look at the game and have a terrific preview to share. Read on before heading to the comments to chat.

Later on, as E3 was coming to a close I approached CCP’s Global CEO, Hilmar Veigar Pétursson during an event the company was throwing after hours. So, I may have had a few drinks in me as I rambled in his ear about how he was sitting on a goldmine with E:VR and had to make it a real game and not just an interesting tech demo that might be something later. So you can probably thank me for getting us here as it would seem Hilmar heeded my call and the world will soon know how awesome EVE: Valkyrie is for themselves.

Read more of Blake Morse's EVE Online: Valkyrie First Hand Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

As long as the Oculus-equipped pilots don't have a significant advantage over the un-augmented masses, this project should "fly".

Otherwise, this will be an interesting but vacant game until such time as the Oculus becomes as common as $500 gfx cards :D

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    CPP...

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Interesting.

Any word on how, if they do plan on integrating this game with the Eve-verse, the devs plan to get around time dilation?

It seems like the information-flow would be one sided: Eve to Valkyrie.  Not that it wouldn't be cool to fly around a battle that had already taken place in realtime, but then capships would sort of be these large, impenetrable moving objects that could only be affected by other capships.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Interesting indeed.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

Interesting.

Any word on how, if they do plan on integrating this game with the Eve-verse, the devs plan to get around time dilation?

It seems like the information-flow would be one sided: Eve to Valkyrie.  Not that it wouldn't be cool to fly around a battle that had already taken place in realtime, but then capships would sort of be these large, impenetrable moving objects that could only be affected by other capships.

Perhaps it could be part of the EVE-verse, but seperate, like Dust514.

Fighter engagements could be fought around stargates, stations or for control of asteroid belts. The presence of player carriers in the equivalent EVE sector could give repair and resupply bonuses to the fighter wings, for instance.

I sincerely doubt that the Valkyrie action will take place in and amongst the actual ships in the EVE game though.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Blake Morse - "I rambled in his ear about how he was sitting on a goldmine with E:VR and had to make it a real game and not just an interesting tech demo that might be something later. So you can probably thank me for getting us here as it would seem Hilmar heeded my call..."

Look at the big balls on Blake!!!

Im sure CEO's, and fuck it lets not be modest, but heads of state will be beating down you door asking for your advice on not only how to make the right decisions for companies but for countries too.

All kidding aside, Im actually looking forward to this unlike Dust514.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Hokie

Blake Morse - "I rambled in his ear about how he was sitting on a goldmine with E:VR and had to make it a real game and not just an interesting tech demo that might be something later. So you can probably thank me for getting us here as it would seem Hilmar heeded my call..."

Look at the big balls on Blake!!!

Im sure CEO's, and fuck it lets not be modest, but heads of state will be beating down you door asking for your advice on not only how to make the right decisions for companies but for countries too.

All kidding aside, Im actually looking forward to this unlike Dust514.

To be fair, I would have looked forward to DUST if it was for PC.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Originally posted by Kilrain

Ditto. Although it'll be interesting to see what will happen when their exclusivity contract with Sony is up.

They'd be foolish not to try and port it. As it is now, it has half the population it should have...

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Space Sim Genre is rising from the grave, finally!

X-Rebirth

Star Citizen

now Valkyrie.. very good -- and all of them will have Occulous Rift support

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by TheOctagon
    Originally posted by Kilrain

Ditto. Although it'll be interesting to see what will happen when their exclusivity contract with Sony is up.

They'd be foolish not to try and port it. As it is now, it has half the population it should have...

if it had even that much it would far more than it has now, which is only a few thousand players, it might just be down to there being very few Eve players having a PS3, but i doubt its that simple.image

• toxicmangotoxicmango Member UncommonPosts: 119

The whole project is symptomatic of the same thing as DUST 514. CCP has all the attention of a goldfish with ADHD.   CCP is chasing off after the newest bling project while leaving their past ones to languish and wither waiting for "iteration" that never comes (or comes too late in half hearted fashion) while they chase "Awesome".   DUST was supposed to be this awesome hit but it's come out as a flop compared to what it was hyped as.

No doubt once the newness wears off, there will be the next shiny project by whichever internal CCP faction is currently in power.   

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I think the biggest killer for dust was the PS3 exclusivity.  I have a PS3 and still didn't even try it for the simple fact I never use the PS3 to begin with :P.  I get wanting to branch out into console markets but if you want security as a PC developer going into console release it for the PC too :P.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

DUST 514 wasn't made for PCs because it wasn't made for PC Gamers at all. DUST was specifically made for Console Game Players, Players with the MIND SET, Player skills, and preferences of a Console Gamer and FPS Gamer. That's why it was made the way it was made. Most EvE Players don't fit that mold no matter how much they would like to believe they do. Some do yes, but most don't or they wouldn't be attracted to EvE to begin with, they would have been off playing console games.

I do agree that making DUST only for PS3 was not the wisest thing to do.

Valkyrie is made for the Flight Sim People, those that not only enjoyed X-Wing and such, but live and breathe all the Flight sim stuff... and once again the regular EvE Players ... most of them do not fit the mold. Once again, some Players of EvE will love this, most will not. The Players of EvE that wanted this kind of gameplay lost faith in CCP years ago and most left out of frustration for how EvE is designed. Now maybe some of the Players that left EvE over this desire for EvE to be more like X-Wing will return with Valkyrie's release.

(I refer to original EvE as EvE and EvE Valkyrie as simply Valkyrie)

So now with EvE (the Navy and the Players naturally attracted to this), and DUST 514 (the Army and it's Player Group), and with Valkyrie (the Air Force and it's Players), CCP now will have three products attracting three somewhat different (for the most part) Consumer groups/Customer Bases, all three connected through the "vision" of New Eden. All three hopefully working somewhat together or against each other, all adding their own spices to the pew pew.

Three separate products, all connected together in intricate ways, levels upon levels of things for all Players to enjoy and participate in.... this is a difficult trick to pull off. Already the audience is seeing a few of the wires and the mirrors.... let's hope CCP can get these "acts" together and make this work... for if they do this the "EvE System" will arguably be the most comprehensive MMO system ever created.

If they don't pull this off... they will get laughed off the stage like a bad magician.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

As long as the Oculus-equipped pilots don't have a significant advantage over the un-augmented masses, this project should "fly".

Otherwise, this will be an interesting but vacant game until such time as the Oculus becomes as common as $500 gfx cards :D

People who run three monitors have more field of view to work with, and therefore an advantage.  Sames goes for people who have programmable keyboards and mice.  They may not be a *huge* advantage, but an advantage nonetheless. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

People who run three monitors have more field of view to work with, and therefore an advantage.  Sames goes for people who have programmable keyboards and mice.  They may not be a *huge* advantage, but an advantage nonetheless. 

Not trying to argue on forums, but 3 monitors doesn't give you a FOV advantage. Games limit the FOV for this purpose. Infact when you span your game across 3 monitors (atleast on eve and most common mmos) it's so incredibly claustrophobic it's practically unplayable (atleast for myself)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Soaapy
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Not trying to argue on forums, but 3 monitors doesn't give you a FOV advantage. Games limit the FOV for this purpose. Infact when you span your game across 3 monitors (atleast on eve and most common mmos) it's so incredibly claustrophobic it's practically unplayable (atleast for myself)

I agree bout the three monitor thing, however there is a distinct difference in screen real estate between resolutions, which is probably the comparison he should have gone with as it better illustrates his point. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PoluxSTFUPoluxSTFU Member Posts: 2

no thanks. I was beta tester and player for 7 years for eve, my brother was also a CCP dev. they just scared sh*tless that SC will lose them peeps and so jumping on the bandwagon rushing to get this done asap. Now that the new kids on the block are coming the old timer well feels OLD!

but 

Star Citizen + Rift > E:VR +Rift

XRebirth +Rift > E:VR +Rift

Elite:Danger +Rift > E:VR +Rift

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by PoluxSTFU

no thanks. I was beta tester and player for 7 years for eve, my brother was also a CCP dev. they just scared sh*tless that SC will lose them peeps and so jumping on the bandwagon rushing to get this done asap. Now that the new kids on the block are coming the old timer well feels OLD!

I must not have gotten the same memos your brother did. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre