Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn to surpass 1.5 million accounts.

HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/25/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-1-5-million-accounts-patch-2-1-coming-in-december/

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has seen an increase of 500 000 accounts since the Tokyo Game Show last month (when it was reported that the amount of accounts was one million).

[mod edit]

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Yes they basically sold more copys, that doesnt mean crap these days. Look at SWTOR, it sold around 2 mil in its first month or so and it went F2P in 6 months. Its all about how many people stick around 3-6 months later. High box sale =/= long term success.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Sorry, I couldn't quite hear you over the sound of this server queue I'm in right now.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

You know, I really like this game and I'm gonna play it for a long time. But this thread sucks. You took some good news and cheapened it with some childish "in your face" mentality. Grow up. And stop blaming trolls for your own trollish behavior.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Foomerang

You know, I really like this game and I'm gonna play it for a long time. But this thread sucks. You took some good news and cheapened it with some childish "in your face" mentality. Grow up. And stop blaming trolls for your own trollish behavior.

^^--Great Post!--^^

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/25/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-surpasses-1-5-million-accounts-patch-2-1-coming-in-december/

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has seen an increase of 500 000 accounts since the Tokyo Game Show last month (when it was reported that the amount of accounts was one million).

A massive hit to all the haters around the world, FFXIV:ARR shows strong signs of growth long since the official release has begun. The community waits in anticipation for what excuses the naysayers will think up next.

We are talking about JAPAN, NA, and EU.  would be nice to know how many acc are from the western maket. i mean, is like WoW talking about 10 mill of subs when 80% of that number is from ASIA. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by hikaru77

A massive hit to all the haters around the world, FFXIV:ARR shows strong signs of growth long since the official release has begun. The community waits in anticipation for what excuses the naysayers will think up next.

We are talking about JAPAN, NA, and EU.  would be nice to know how many acc are from the western maket. i mean, is like WoW talking about 10 mill of subs when 80% of that number is from ASIA. 

Especially true considering every major forum site has loads of quitting posts.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Can we come back from la la land here just because some dont like it or don't believe it. I know they count me in that 1.5 million and I stop playing and paying after the 1st month. 

At the time it just had to many bots and to get to talk to a real person was a nightmar. See I am one of those that EXPECT something for my money. I don't just bend over and give it away.

Yet it was fun just none of my friends wanted to play it lol so we moved on.

I really think this is great news. They turned it around and did a awesome job. Great work devs.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by zanfire

Yes they basically sold more copys, that doesnt mean crap these days. Look at SWTOR, it sold around 2 mil in its first month or so and it went F2P in 6 months. Its all about how many people stick around 3-6 months later. High box sale =/= long term success.

You cannot have high retention until the game is purchased n the first place..

The first step toward securing a strong retained base has been/is being taken.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203

Does that mean accounts like mine?  I bought the game for 30 bucks played it got to whm and then stopped playing never subbed.  

The game wasn't bad, I just have more fun in Lotro, Swtor, Poe and Xbox.  I think is going to be an issue as more and more mmos come out.  There is just so much competition out there unless a game comes in a does something different it will be hard for any mmo to hold on to a good percentage of box sales. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Looks like FF will continue to be a niche ip which is a good thing. They can still have 500-750k players long term and still have great success. I see no problem with that.
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

You cannot have high retention until the game is purchased n the first place..

The first step toward securing a strong retained base has been/is being taken.

True, but like i said, just because they sold a bunch of copys doesnt mean the game is 1) super amazing or 2) going to last very long.

If they can hold a mil subs 6-12 months from now, il be super impressed. But because you sold a bunch of boxes doesnt mean its something worth "rubbing it in" over. The OP is clearly a major fan and is doing the community a terrible injustice by acting like a child.

And yes im one of the "1.5" mil who quit after a few weeks, amusing, but nothing special tbh (this coming from a long time FF fan/FFXI player/ and someone who enjoyed how the end of 1.0 was going). Solid game that jumped on the standard theme park design a bit late.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

True, but like i said, just because they sold a bunch of copys doesnt mean the game is 1) super amazing or 2) going to last very long.

And either of these things, point them out in the OP for me please. I happened to miss them.

It sure as hell doesn't mean the opposite either. That alone is a feat in the MMO sphere whether you'd like it or not.

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I believe some are setting themselves up for disappointment in 6 to 12 months from now.

And either of these things, point them out in the OP for me please. I happened to miss them.

It sure as hell doesn't mean the opposite either. That alone is a feat in the MMO sphere whether you'd like it or not.

"A massive hit to all the haters around the world, FFXIV:ARR shows strong signs of growth long since the official release has begun."

basically saying that the game you like is great and that its selling even after relase so it must be good enough to last.

Its not an amazing feat these days for an MMO that has a lot of hype behind it to sell a mil or more copys. The real amazing feat will be if it can keep that many for 6 months...a year...5 years...ect.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Which is what makes this thread so pointless, number of "accounts" doesn't tell us anything. Not how well its doing right now, not how well it will do in the future, and sure as hell doesnt show as you stated,  "Strong signs of growth" lol.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

"Quote"  "I believe some are setting themselves up for disappointment in 6 to 12 months from now.""

within 12 months you don't think the game will be A lot better ?  More end game raiding Ect

im sure they will keep adding more end game content all the time...Supposedly square has said 4 Big Expansions every year they want to release...that seems like a lot of expansions and I hope they doooo

Originally posted by Grimula

"Quote"  "I believe some are setting themselves up for disappointment in 6 to 12 months from now.""

within 12 months you don't think the game will be A lot better ?  More end game raiding Ect

im sure they will keep adding more end game content all the time...Supposedly square has said 4 Big Expansions every year they want to release...that seems like a lot of expansions and I hope they doooo

Well of course, they arent going to stop. He means that the game wont retain all those accounts as subs and might do what most MMos these days of that style/design end up doing which is go F2P or shut down. Also they arent expansions, they are updates every 3 months (expansions i would think every couple years as is the standard).

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Disclaimer:  I'm a FFXIV player who is enjoying the game

I could care less about initial numbers that are 1-2 months after the release of the game.  Many games see a huge increase like this because people are tired of their current game.  The real test for this game will be the 2.1 patch, and then how long it takes them to get 2.2 out.  So basically, the game will either see a stabilization at 6 months, or a massive exodus/merging of servers.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

Disclaimer:  I'm a FFXIV player who is enjoying the game

I could care less about initial numbers that are 1-2 months after the release of the game.  Many games see a huge increase like this because people are tired of their current game.  The real test for this game will be the 2.1 patch, and then how long it takes them to get 2.2 out.  So basically, the game will either see a stabilization at 6 months, or a massive exodus/merging of servers.

Pretty much the typical time before you see whos really sticking around. No MMO retains normally even half of the box sales after a few months, its just how the genere is, no weekend betas give you a real grasp of a MMO so you get lots of people buying it to "try it out" really. They added in a huge amount of servers, so i dont expect them to stay, its just not practical, so expect some sort of merger sooner than later.

• xXAltarXxxXAltarXx Member Posts: 2

^ This.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

[mod edit]

Actually 1.5 million is a fairly low number and not at all that impressive for a game that just launched, especially with an IP like FF.  Factor in all the Japanese accounts and I would say that the number will be much lower.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Grimula

Craptic said the same thing with Neverwinter and look how that ended.  Drow still not available post launch (and maybe not even now).  All their classes have a single paragon path still, still no new classes yet, only one module released, and so forth and so on.  Point being is that every company says they got content lined up but all fail to deliver that promise.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by xXAltarXx

^ This.

Sadly agree, there's nothing to gain from trying to rub it in peoples noses. I am glad the game is doing well. I also don't see me leaving the game any time soon, but challenging people in that way doesnt encourage them to give it a chance, its more likely to turn people away.image

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Because Asians aren't real people, right?

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Omali

Because Asians aren't real people, right?

Considering the comical amount of gold farmers and bots coming from that region, I feel fine saying that a lot of those subs are NOT real people.