Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

So I'ts been over a year since launch

TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member

If you are thinking about talking about, holy trinity or lack of endgame raids, this thread is not for you.

What do you feel has been good during this year?

And what do you feel has been bad?

For me I kinda liked the living story at first, It ties the lore together but It also makes a lot of lose ends and kinda slow in progession down then a new living  story starts.

And I was also hoping for some form of WvW patch that reduse the zerg, dont get me wrong I like zerg battles but i do NOT like tower flipping and camp flipping, there should be more to WvW than flipping, people rather attack than defend due to the simple fact attacking give more loot and xp than defending, so whats the point in defending?

But overal experience of it all I find this game very solid and plenty of things to do, I only hope Anet focus more on new zones,races,skills,weapons ect ,in the future than the temp content patches called living story.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• Psion33Psion33 La Crosse, WIPosts: 248Member

The 2 guilds I was in, Cloud 9 and Ascension both have fully left this game. :(

I have a few friends who play on and off but it's hard to link up with them as when you do play the game, you play about 20-30 minutes before letting it go for another month lol.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    I don't care about the holy trinity. The game was far too casual friendly for me. The world was not seemless and the pvp was just an instanced joke, and the dungeons were boring. It's great for people that are very casual players and like pve, I guess. I treated it like a console game. I played it til I maxxed a few chars and got the best of gear I could then I uninstalled it.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member

I actually can agree with majority of what you said, only thing I believe I can add to this  they should add a few DAOC elements, like they should do the names and death/kill announcements. 

As for zergs from my experiments they operate more like an actual army, course I use the actual team speak for the server, wvw takes place in, so we all communicate and etc.

It's been a good year so far and the game hasn't failed, looking forward for what's in store, because their plan on what they are doing is smart especially if we are talking about a healthy future for the game, I.E test things out and experiment on the core game, so future content and additions won't have huge issues and can come in better doses.

(Can be afterwards as well) INB4 some arguments, bashing, and defending happens, take care guys.

Oh I almost and INB4 the I quits, I don't like it cause I've stated it many many times before as if no one saw me mention it the first place, and the piggy back riders to anything that bashes the game I.E plus 1 to something that doesn't make sense but bashes so yay...I say to you guys image

I think that's about it so, yea take care. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper NotyourbusinessPosts: 598Member

My only really negative point is that the game needs more new permanent content.

Everything else is fine, the combat is fun, fast and dynamic, the world is immersive, beautiful and encouraging exploration, and it's not just another "WoW clone".

What the game needs is more things to do beside the temporary patches. Housing, mounts, some "sandboxish" elements.

In my opinion, an expansion will be needed during the next year to introduce some major stuff other games have to make the game move forward.

My computer is better than yours.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,152Member
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    I don't care about the holy trinity. The game was far too casual friendly for me. The world was not seemless and the pvp was just an instanced joke, and the dungeons were boring. It's great for people that are very casual players and like pve, I guess. I treated it like a console game. I played it til I maxxed a few chars and got the best of gear I could then I uninstalled it.

I'm amazed that there are still gamers who have no idea what "instance" really is!

Other than that, I agree with what you said.

Wayyyy to casual friendly, GW2 is just plain boring....

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

I know I'm stepping into the lion's den here heh

I've been watching this game for a while. The two things that turn me away are the fact that Anet boasted 30+ mini games for launch and a year later there's maybe 8 or 9?

The second is they talked up Home instance a lot, but I have not seen much love there.

Other than those things and maybe wanting a more interesting crafting system (which is not a legitimate concern anyway), the game looks great. I think Anet has done a great job with adding content and listening to player feedback.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t PhoenixPosts: 606Member Uncommon
    I enjoyed this first year but the Living Story thing is killing it for me as it has become an achievement grind.They should rebrand the game 'Achievement Online'. I wish the Living Story could have been well,more living with permanent changes in the world.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• ThupliThupli Spokane, WAPosts: 587Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torgrim

If you are thinking about talking about, holy trinity or lack of endgame raids, this thread is not for you.

What do you feel has been good during this year?

And what do you feel has been bad?

But overal experience of it all I find this game very solid and plenty of things to do, I only hope Anet focus more on new zones,races,skills,weapons ect ,in the future than the temp content patches called living story.

I love GW2, but moreso the ANET devs.  Their payment model is amazing, and the content that they provide is great.  I love how they do healing in this game.

That said, I'm currently in a holding pattern until they add more weapon skills.  I feel like this is the most limiting thing for my enjoyment of the game.  I mean, I love playing Bow weapons, but after a year of the same 5 skills I need something different.  Supposedly they will be dropping a huge patch with new weapons, and hopefully choices for current weapon skills.  When that happens, I'll be back in the game.  I'm sure there will be balance issues, but if they quite doing 2 week updates and jump it to 4 or 6 with the rest of the energy spent on balance it shouldnt be a problem.  I'm coming back to see what that new universal heal skill that can be acquired is all about in the Oct 28th patch.

• NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member

Didn't deliver on some features that were originally envisioned, but still provided a better experience than any other MMO released in recent years. The divergence from the EQ/WoW-derived "Golden Standard" MMO design is most welcome, and personally I'd rather see them going even further away from it.

• zastenzasten nowherePosts: 283Member
    Love the game, hate that I live in the wrong part of the world (Australia) where the times that I have available to play has few other players online, so I have trouble doing some of the harder stuff! Or maybe it is a design flaw where the upscale events if there are more players but do not downscale if there are less players than events are designed for!
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper NotyourbusinessPosts: 598Member
    Originally posted by Naqaj

Didn't deliver on some features that were originally envisioned, but still provided a better experience than any other MMO released in recent years. The divergence from the EQ/WoW-derived "Golden Standard" MMO design is most welcome, and personally I'd rather see them going even further away from it.

This is apparently coming soon (aka in the next few years), surprisingly from the developers of EQ, with Everquest Next.

GW2 is a major milestone in getting away from the WoW clone syndrome which hit the MMORPG industry in 2004 though. Now that devs have seen such a model can work well, others will expand it.

My computer is better than yours.

• BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,946Member Uncommon
    It's encouraging that blizzard may be copying more gw2 features , I.e possible downscaling. Learning from each other is a healthy thing.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Posts: 2,114Member Uncommon

I bought the game for what I thought would be world class  WvW..

I found it  had tiny maps...filled with zergs and a company that though  scoring points =warfare.

I left never to return as Arenanet has shown zero interest in changing the design.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Sadly, the guild I was in all through pre-beta through launch barely made it a month into the game since literally nothing in the game required a guild to do anything together. Even when we tried to do WvW, half would be stuck in the queue and everybody would get split up. Yeah, what many of us thought would be our MMO destination for years turned out to be a terrible, terrible heartache. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• JeleenaJeleena Posts: 120Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Sadly, the guild I was in all through pre-beta through launch barely made it a month into the game since literally nothing in the game required a guild to do anything together. Even when we tried to do WvW, half would be stuck in the queue and everybody would get split up. Yeah, what many of us thought would be our MMO destination for years turned out to be a terrible, terrible heartache. 

For a game called GUILD wars the tools to run a guild are seriously lacking and haven't been updated all year. I am not even talking about the guild halls that were supposed to come, but basic tools like 'last online'.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Originally posted by Jeleena
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

For a game called GUILD wars the tools to run a guild are seriously lacking and haven't been updated all year. I am not even talking about the guild halls that were supposed to come, but basic tools like 'last online'.

I actually went back a couple months ago to do some of the so-called "guild missions" with a friend and his guild. The guild leader flat out admitted that they didn't care what missions they did since they had so much points/currency (or whatever it's called) they really had nothing to spend it on.

I thought I was playing free-realms. We did a puzzle, obstacle course and a game of "Where's Waldo" with some named NPC's.There was one mission that was remotely difficult and it actually  was more like a raid boss, which to me indicated that they actually should just put in raids for 10, 15 or 20 players. Of course, they really wouldn't be able to reward players for it since there's no vertical progression anyway so I suppose nobody would really do them.

I also went back and did this re-vamped Tequatl the Sunless. Again, no guild required at all. The first servers to do it just added a public mumble that anybody could join. It was stupid hard, but this is a good thing. When our server finally beat him ... I got the same useless loot as any other world boss. We all laughed hysterically. Then, everybody went along their merry way. No guild celebration, no picture of a dead boss. Just a shrug and back to whatever solo thing they were already doing.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon
    I feel GW2 really needs an expansion. Living Story is ok as filler content, but it's tiny compared to what GW1 got. At this point in time, I wish we at least had some news of an expansion coming out next year, but it sounds like it's just not "off the table".
  • goldtoofgoldtoof leedsPosts: 337Member
    Well I was really looking forwards to it.

I expected spvp to be great because it was so good in gw1

I expected WvW to be great because to quote arenanet "if you liked daoc you will love WvW"

Sadly both were flat and gamey.

To be fair, the crafting was good for a themepark, the world looked nice except for some of the low rez ground textures and the combat had a nice feel to it.
  • VaselVasel ausin, TXPosts: 90Member Uncommon
    Still nothing tangible to do at 80 except play dress up or RvR till your eyes bleed.
  • I bought game 1 week ago and im really happy with it, theres too much to do. Theres already active  Hallowen World Event and they extended it last night with new content.

If you guys/gals dont know they adding new content every 15 days, thats what makes players more excited. I dont like too much instanced raids and GW2 has open world raids and group events instead, thats what im enjoying with.. Also theres instanced group dungeons and fractals if you want to be part of..

• Ender4Ender4 milwaukee, WIPosts: 2,253Member

Best MMORPG to come out in recent years yet It still left me disappointed. The dungeons are frankly bad, the trinity was better than this. The key to breaking the trinity is making the mobs smarter, not the players less diverse. The WvWvW frankly is awful, way too much zerging and it is largely caused by way too much flipping. There just isn't enough incentive to defend what you take. I never really got into the sPvP so cannot comment on that part.

Leveling is fun but extremely repetitive because a lot of the game world feels like it was copy and pasted from zone to zone. The crafting system is just pathetic and you have a game where in general gear just doesn't feel like it matters. While leveling you out level gear too fast and at end game you get the best gear too fast. This wouldn't be a huge issue if there was a meaningful alternate XP path at max level but there isn't. You basically hit max level and almost instantly stagnate in progression. This is what people feel is a lack of end game, not so much the lack of raids but the fact you no longer progress very early in the life of the game.

The personal stories are rubbish too. The writing is between terrible and mediocre. The more epic stages you can just do nothing and the NPCs will win basically so there is no challenge at all in them. I just played through it the 3rd time and I barely even try at this point because it isn't fun and I just don't need to do much.

The actual production of the game is top notch but a lot of the choices they made really hurt the game and I'm surprised someone managed to dumb down the genre more than WoW did. The combat works better than any other action combat out there. The weapon system even works pretty well once you get used to it. The character class are an interesting mix. There are tons of good things about this game.

I still log on and play the game but I treat it as a beer and pretzels version of an MMORPG. Something to do when I am only half paying attention or went out and had some drinks or something or just have nothing better to do. Sadly that happens a lot lately considering the low quality of the genre over the past 5 years.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I've been watching this game for a while. The two things that turn me away are the fact that Anet boasted 30+ mini games for launch and a year later there's maybe 8 or 9?

I remember - I still await the revised Polymock

http://web.archive.org/web/20130201050107/http://www.arena.net/blog/activities-games-within-the-game

Maybe you’re in the mood for a more arcade-style game? Try your hand at the shooting range, where you’ll compete against other players to rack up the highest score before time runs out. This activity isn’t just about being the quickest on the draw—you’ll have different abilities like firing a spread shot or an attack that can pierce through multiple targets in a row. You can’t use these special abilities often, so you’ll have to tactically use them at the right time. But you’d better think fast, or someone else might take the shot for you!

http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/4160/Guild+Wars+2+interview/

How many of these activities do you have planned?

John: About 30-ish, I believe is what we're looking at.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Apopka, FLPosts: 2,059Member

The good:

• Dynamic events are a step up from traditional questing.
    • The combat system is amazing.
    • The world feels alive and exploration is encouraged.
    • Well done "events" such as the holiday events.
    • The game looks fantastic.
    • Lots of really great content.
    The bad (sorry, can't talk about the bad without discussing the two things you mentioned not to talk about):
    • Dungeons still aren't as well done as other MMOs in my opinion especially boss encounters.  This is partially due to the limitation of having no trinity.  Certain classes are favored over others for PvE and I feel like the lack of trinity only hurt my options for getting a group as someone who likes to play tank or healer.  Fractals and more recent dungeons were certainly an improvement here, but there still is a LONG ways to go.
    • WvW tends to turn into a zerg fest.  Small teams can make a difference, but it's always more beneficial personally to just run with the zerg.  Without really strong incentives there really is no reason to aim for winning and simply just farming in the zerg is going to net more rewards.
    • SPvP is not very active and was separated too much from the WvW/PvE side of things.  I would have loved to see cosmetic items earned from SPvP carry over to PvE and vice versa.
    • No real end game raid content.  Nothing for a guild to accomplish aside from leveling the guild.  They've made steps, but they are baby steps compared to what is available in other games.
    • Speaking of leveling guilds, it discourages smaller guilds from flourishing, as it's not reasonable for them to obtain bonuses that larger guilds can due to influence.  This also encourages larger guilds to mass recruit since there is little penalty for having a guild full of players no matter if their playstyle matches.  Would have been nice to see a leveling system that scales with the number of people in guild.
    • Still no housing or guild housing.
    • Despite how awesome events such as the holiday events are, they still have stupid tasks associated with them such as carving pumpkins.  I'm sorry, but running around Lion's Arch daily and clicking pumpkins is not fun, and it seems like they want to include something like this in every event.  It's frustrating.
    • Legendaries are nothing more than money grinds and have little to do with your accomplishments in game.  I wish they were more along the lines of EQ epic quests.  They do look pretty though.
    • Personal story is just kinda "meh".  I also hate Traeherne or whatever his name is.
    Keep in mind even though I listed more negatives than positives I feel the positives outweigh the negatives with maybe the exception of boring boss encounters and no end game raid content which are the primary reasons I'm not playing currently.

Raptr link because it's the cool new trend:

• ReaperUkReaperUk Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 657Member Uncommon

The lack of any announcement of a possible full blown expansion has killed it for our guild at the moment. We're just treading water with most of us off playing other games to pass time. The constant temporary content has failed to keep our players interested. We need a full blown expansion and soon, or I can see this game dying for us the same way SWTOR did previously.

Our guild won't collapse. Many of us have played together for years in other games but our eyes are on the horizon for upcoming games that might appeal to most of us. I think EQN is the most favoured one. I know several of us are back playing LotRO at the moment including myself, so we've got Helms Deep to keep us going for a while.

• jdnewelljdnewell Spring Hill, TNPosts: 2,150Member Uncommon

My guild pretty much quit after 2-3 months. Out of 50+ people maybe 5 still play. The rest have moved on or gone back to other games.

Main complaint is there just is not really anything to do as a guild or any decent guild tools in the game. For most of us grinding for cosmetic items just was not enough.

I did enjoy the time I played GW2 and will revisit it. Overall for a B2P game its great, even if you only get a couple of months playtime out of it.