Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Dev Journal] Aura Kingdom: The Freedom to Change Your Role

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe Land of AZPosts: 16,643MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

MMORPG.com has teamed up with Aura Kingdom developers to bring our readers first-ever information about the upcoming title. In today's developer diary, the team lays out the details behind the skill customization feature. Read on before heading to the comments.

Our favorite Ultimate Skills, however, are the ones that actively modify your existing abilities to have completely new effects. For example, the Wizard’s first Ultimate Skill tier gives you three options: augment your basic fire spell with either a short stun or knockback effect, or add a damage-over-time component to your ice spell. All of these are potent choices, but their relative advantages are situational.

Read more Aura Kingdom: The Freedom to Change Your Role.

Associate Editor: MMORPG.com
Follow me on Twitter: @MMORPGMom

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Yay ! Generic F2P fantasy themepark #1472 from the publishing powerhouse Aeria Games...
  • orionblackorionblack Wichita Falls, TXPosts: 474Member Uncommon

Hehehe  ^

• darkedone02darkedone02 Louisville, KYPosts: 552Member
    sometimes i wish there was a mmorpg site that only allow different mmorpg and not the generic kind.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,221Member Uncommon

This game looks like it has more mechanical depth than say the generic FFXIV wow clone. Can you customize your individual skill progression in that game or is it just your typical diku wow rip-off?

Or how about WoW? It doesn't get more generic than that. Tank+DD+Healer with a generic skill tree and the most basic of leveling mechanics. Can you customize your skills in WoW or change your role in a meaningful way?

Most every game on this site, including your favorites, is a shallow copy of a previous game. FFXIV > WoW > EQ > DIKU. You guys are sitting in the mudhole from which you sling.

• JorendoJorendo EdePosts: 263Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

This game looks like it has more mechanical depth than say the generic FFXIV wow clone. Can you customize your individual skill progression in that game or is it just your typical diku wow rip-off?

Or how about WoW? It doesn't get more generic than that. Tank+DD+Healer with a generic skill tree and the most basic of leveling mechanics. Can you customize your skills in WoW or change your role in a meaningful way?

Most every game on this site, including your favorites, is a shallow copy of a previous game. FFXIV > WoW > EQ > DIKU. You guys are sitting in the mudhole from which you sling.

Euhm actually....you can freely switch class in FF14 when ever you feel like too. You can take a few skills from one class to the other as well. Combining two classes will unlock a new class (granted you need to have them both at a certain level). So i don't know what you try to say...but in FF14 i can be a DPS but once a group needs a healer i can just switch to a healer class.

And really? You would really say this game is much better then the games you mentioned? Everyone offcourse is allowed to have their own opinion, but lets stay reasonable, there are a lot of generic MMO's comming from Aeria. Games you mostly play to kill a hour or two with and then hardly play again.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jorendo

Euhm actually....you can freely switch class in FF14 when ever you feel like too. You can take a few skills from one class to the other as well. Combining two classes will unlock a new class (granted you need to have them both at a certain level). So i don't know what you try to say...but in FF14 i can be a DPS but once a group needs a healer i can just switch to a healer class.

And really? You would really say this game is much better then the games you mentioned? Everyone offcourse is allowed to have their own opinion, but lets stay reasonable, there are a lot of generic MMO's comming from Aeria. Games you mostly play to kill a hour or two with and then hardly play again.

Good point, Aeria games are are so similar you could not tell from screen shots which game it refers too.  They also like to gender lock classes.  I guess for someone starting out in f2p fantasy they are not bad, but don't look for any depth in any of their games and expect major grind.  IMO Wow and FFXIV are worlds apart.  When you try to lump the two together it shows a bit of ignorance of both games.

See that's the problem, "Euhm" actual reading comprehension. I didn't say you couldn't switch roles in FFXIV did I? I asked if you could customize your individual skill progression? Can you? Nope. FFXIV, just a generic diku clone and certainly no more unique than this diku clone.

Did I say the game was better than WoW? Nope. I pointed out that WoW's mechanics and design are generic and that it is also a diku clone.

Of course there are a lot of generic mmos coming from Aeria, and Squeenix, and ActiBlizz and Turbine and the list goes on. See where I'm going with this? So please be reasonable yourself. You can't even keep your posturing to minimum with the "games you play for an hour" tripe. Look, most every game on this site lives in a similar template. If you can't accept that it's not my problem and you're the one who needs to take a second look at being reasonable. I can be reasonable because I'm not playing any of these generic diku clones. I'm playing other generic diku clones.  I just find it absurd when posters come in and drop vacuous comments like they're facts when they have no leg to stand on.

• Superman0XSuperman0X San Jose, CAPosts: 1,606Member Uncommon

This game is made by X-Legend. They also make Grand Fantasia, and Eden Eternal (both of which are also published by Aeria). It does not seem unreasonalbe that there be some similarities between these games, as they all come from the same company.

None of the games mentioned are gender locked. However, Aeria does have some games that are, such as Scarlet Blade (all female characters).

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Good point, Aeria games are are so similar you could not tell from screen shots which game it refers too.  They also like to gender lock classes.  I guess for someone starting out in f2p fantasy they are not bad, but don't look for any depth in any of their games and expect major grind.  IMO Wow and FFXIV are worlds apart.  When you try to lump the two together it shows a bit of ignorance of both games.

What does gender lock have to do with anything in this discussion? Nothing.

So in your opinion WoW and FFXIV are worlds apart how? They are built on the exact same mechanics and foundation that built EQ that EQ2, GW2, LotRO, AoC, and 95% of every game on this site are built on. That seems to worry you and every other poster in this thread because you want to feel like your game is some unique special experience, that you've tapped into something no one else has, but it's not and you haven't.

Do you really think being able to change secondary classes in FF makes the core design and premise of the game different from WoW? I hope not. It is the fluff like this, or housing or crafting style or whatever, that does give each game its unique flavor, but strip all that fluff away and the actual core game is the same.

People complain about stagnation among other things, but really until the industry starts making different games, then those complaints don't address the problem, just the symptoms.

This game isn't much different and that's the point. It's probably not a better game, but it certainly isn't worse or more generic. It is the same core game with it's own fluff variations. That doesn't make any of these games bad, unlike what the previous posters are trying to sell you. It just means they're are different flavors of the same popsicle.

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

Thats some nice cel shading. I tried Eden eternal. Wasn't my preferred style, but it definitely has a following. Its good to see even the most cash shop centric mmos changing it up on the progression front.

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,191Member Uncommon

What does gender lock have to do with anything in this discussion? Nothing.

So in your opinion WoW and FFXIV are worlds apart how? They are built on the exact same mechanics and foundation that built EQ that EQ2, GW2, LotRO, AoC, and 95% of every game on this site are built on. That seems to worry you and every other poster in this thread because you want to feel like your game is some unique special experience, that you've tapped into something no one else has, but it's not and you haven't.

Do you really think being able to change secondary classes in FF makes the core design and premise of the game different from WoW? I hope not. It is the fluff like this, or housing or crafting style or whatever, that does give each game its unique flavor, but strip all that fluff away and the actual core game is the same.

People complain about stagnation among other things, but really until the industry starts making different games, then those complaints don't address the problem, just the symptoms.

This game isn't much different and that's the point. It's probably not a better game, but it certainly isn't worse or more generic. It is the same core game with it's own fluff variations. That doesn't make any of these games bad, unlike what the previous posters are trying to sell you. It just means they're are different flavors of the same popsicle.

Wow and FFXIV play entirely different.  Even the mechanics are different.  Next time you want to argue, come with some facts to support your arguments instead of conveniently lumping the games  together to fit your agenda.   Attempting to say this game is not much different than those you listed shows you again are mistaken about the games that Aeria generally offers.   Let me educate you, Aeria games play very differently than those other games.  I am not saying that is bad or good, just different.  

Wow and FFXIV play entirely different.  Even the mechanics are different.  Next time you want to argue, come with some facts to support your arguments instead of conveniently lumping the games  together to fit your agenda.   Attempting to say this game is not much different than those you listed shows you again are mistaken about the games that Aeria generally offers.   Let me educate you, Aeria games play very differently than those other games.  I am not saying that is bad or good, just different.  

So how are FF and WoW different? How do you feel the Aeria games, some of which I have played, play so radically different?

How do you feel the first few comments in the thread are justified when the article itself details skill customization?

I explained how they all share the same diku design base, so nice try. How about you actually illustrate how they're totally different? Are you actually trying to say that they don't share the same root design with a little fluff variation? Sharing the same design pattern doesn't mean they're bad games.

• KuuhnKuuhn Monmouth Junction, NJPosts: 41Member

If its enjoyable to players, and profitable to game makers.. why change anything?

When you have a safe answer to this question. Maybe something will change.