Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Top Five MMOs for Mac Gamers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There's no question that Mac users get the short end of the stick when it comes to MMOs. In The List today, we take a look at five terrific MMOs that Mac players can shine in. Read more before leaving your thoughts in the comments.

Following an eleventh hour stay of execution in February of 2012, EverQuest Mac players breathed a sigh of relief. Unfortunately, as with all things, time has caught up with EQMac again and Sony has announced that the servers will be winding down on November 18th. Although players and game history aficionados will mourn the loss of the world they played in and the small but tight community it spawned, the best way to help ease the sting of losing something beloved is to put that energy and attention into a new direction. This seems like a great opportunity to highlight some of the best MMOs that Mac users can enjoy natively on their platform of choice today.

Read more of Pete Schwab's The List: The Top Five MMOs for Mac Gamers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• lostscout5lostscout5 Member Posts: 57
    I play EVE Online on my Mac. But I also have a  partition on my hard drive with Windows 7 to play Windows only games. Best of both worlds on one machine !
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

agree.

GW2 #1, but i think you left out eveonline -thats doin very well.

partitioning actually does well on macs as well.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Not including EVE on that list makes it look bad.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• pgdeanerpgdeaner Member UncommonPosts: 10
    There is no native Mac client for GW2.  It uses an emulator layer and it's barely playable for higher level content.

You'd be better off using bootcamp.
  • AngztAngzt Member Posts: 230
    uh no, you say you can't play on a working machine? now who would have thought that :)

"believe me, mike.. i calculated the odds of this working against the odds that i was doing something incredibly stupid… and i did it anyway!"

• nathanknaacknathanknaack Level Designer - CCP GamesMember UncommonPosts: 27
    Browser-based Runescape is on this list but not EVE Online, which has had a Mac client for a decade now?
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

The title of this article is a tad misleading. This is not a Top 5 list. Even the article says that these are just "some of the best". I even question that point considering the author is leaving off WoW and EvE while including Spiral Knights and GW2's unfinished beta client.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

I'd like to add to this list: Vendetta Online.

The devs have maintained native support for the Mac since alpha in 2002.  I played for years on my PowerBook G4, after graduating college, before I finally switched over to the dark side.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94
    No WoW? I would think Blizzards dedication to the platform would at least get them an honorable mention.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Pete get with the program, Eve is at least in the top 3 for mac gamers when in comes to MMO's and of course leaving Wow out is absurd.  As to most of those on your list, I highly doubt many people play them on a Mac.
  • driver4hiredriver4hire Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Okay maybe I'm missing something because I've only ever used a PC but why does this matter?

Currently playing : World of Tanks, LoL
    Waiting for: The game of my dreams
    Played: Everything
    Favorites being Eve, UO and SWG Pre-CU

• CacolacoCacolaco Member UncommonPosts: 99
    This list should have EVE and WoW. Those are arguably 2 of the best on any platform, so why they would leave them off of a list like this?

I'm just waiting for a F2P overhyped sandbox WoW clone with full PVP, epic raid bosses, instanced group content, and Crysis-quality graphics to come out. That, or something fun.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

EVE and WOW are truely missing on this list...

They are the best selling MMO´s and deserve to be on that list...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Given a few of the top contender MMORPGs that were left off this list it probably should have been a "Top 10" list if the OP felt those listed here were worth mentioning over the likes of WoW and EVE.
  • Boingo787Boingo787 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    My wife plays with me on a MacBook Pro i7, and the GW2 Mac beta runs just fine for her.
  • jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Spiral knights and Lotro yet no WoW and EvE?

ok?

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    I recently picked up a Macbook Air i7 and it runs EVE, Guild Wars 2 and WoW quite happily. Sure, the graphics are set to potato, but it's great for some impromptu gaming.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Wow they actually have a few games now days. Apple are catching up....lol. Ovrpriced garbage that most users seem to run Windows  7 on regardless :/
  • AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

EVE, WOW, Champions of Regnum and Fallen Earth are some other native games. If you dip into Wine or Crossover, you can get quite a few other games running as well. DDO, AC, UO, EQ, etc.

TESO will be supporting Mac, as will EQNext. Albion Online is about as cross-platform as you can get.

It's never been particularly *great* to be a Mac gamer, but it's getting better every year!

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    Last mmorpg I played on Mac was WAKFU.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541
    I just prefer not to play games on my macbook, I would actually say it's a pro to not be able to play games on mac =P

Would be interesting to see more Linux clients tho with steamOS coming out

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• ChicagoDITChicagoDIT Member Posts: 1
    Can't agree with you more. A bootcamp partition is a necessity for any serious gamer that uses mac. I use Mac because I work as a onset DIT/Colorist. My current machine is a Mac Pro Tower with a custom modded GTX 6gb Titan that has a larger rom chip soldered in to accommodate the Mac EFI. Due to the mod I got full Bootcamp support so I just boot windows and can run anything at max. It seriously is the best of both worlds, wonderful stability in all my multimedia programs and pwning goodness in games on windows.  Cheers!
  • Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Pete get with the program, Eve is at least in the top 3 for mac gamers when in comes to MMO's and of course leaving Wow out is absurd.  As to most of those on your list, I highly doubt many people play them on a Mac.

Eve as a top game? Yuck. If you're into Excel spread sheets maybe LOL. I subbed and played for 30 days...then abruptly uninstalled.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    The Mac client works just fine for GW2, friend of mine plays all the time and it has never crashed and there have been no other problems with it.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Spiral knights and Lotro yet no WoW and EvE?

ok?

You surely underestimate Lotro, its one of the best most gorgious mmos ever created... and truely deserves its spot in this top 5...  However EvE and WoW as well as GW2 belong there too...

Make you pick for the 5th... i cant get any further then a top 4 of AAA MMo´s , personally i would have put DDO on the 5th spot... but thats a long stretch lagging behind the other 4

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)