Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ready to Retire Inactive Names

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Elikal

I lost my names already! They merged servers and my lv 50 Chars lost their names because some lv 10 noob had the name on the new destined server, DESPITE the fact I had EXTRA preordered (the expensive edition for back then 210 Euro, given it was 150 Dollars), ESPECIALLY to have my names reserved.

Now 210 Euro, preorder, play from day one and investing TONS of money for almost a year subs and MUCH money into their items shop, I assume I spent 500-600 Euro on their game. If THAT is not enough to keep my fucking names, Bioware and SWTOR can rot in hell.

This has nothing to do With how much Money you spend on a game.

It´s sadly just the negative side effect of merging servers.

How do you know this Level 10 noob hasn´t invested the same amount of Money as you? Or even more than you?

Just because he/she has a Level 10 char With Your name, doesn´t mean he/she might have other higher Level characters too.

Just because he/she has a Level 10 character you have a magical foresight ability to see how much Money said person has spend on the game?

Come on now!  Unless you rather stay on an empty server With Your level50 characters collecting dust in an empty world?

I gladly sacrifice my character name to migrate for "free" from an empty server to a more populated server, if it means it will improve my game experience.

Normally who gets to keep the name, is usually the one with the 'oldest' toon with it, which basically would mean their character predates your own, however, for such an older character to still be only level 10 would give it a kind of 'abandoned' feel, personally i would give priority to whoever had the character name and was actually active with it, perhaps this is a good reason for 'deleting' unused toons that people create and 'abandon' them.image

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by Tyserie

I think that after half year of inactivity they should completely delete the account. Even if you spent any money on it. If you will try to complain, they should have right to come to your home and slap your face with hide gloves.

If they would do, I believe that 80% of people would defend them, because the players became just fucking sheep. 

I can't imagine you running a business. What a disastrous and ill-conceived idea.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Kossuth
    Originally posted by maxima29
    Originally posted by Nitth
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

With the games going F2P, devs are realizing that people who download the game, create a character, and play for 5 seconds are clogging up the number of available names.

I don't really take issue with this.

If i spent x dollars on microtransactions for a character, ie clothing and cosmetic items. then my my name is then removed because of inactivity that kinda voids my purchase in the first place to make a unique character..

You spent x dollars for the character SLOT not the character or the license to his name.  As for clothing and cosmetic items they should be in your legacy collection.  

I wasn't going to post on this thread but that actually makes no sense at all. if you buy items and upgrades to a character then the slot its in is irrelevant. Think before you type please. :)

I wasn't going to comment on your jumbled non-sense but I'll try to educate you a little.  The items you buy go in your legacy collection they are still there.  If you don't play for a certain amount of time your name is gone (you didn't buy the license to this name you bought the character slot).  Now it's not clear if they are deleting just names or entire toons.  If it's just the name you toon will still have everything.  As a f2p you get a certain number of character slots they are not irrelevant.  If you purchase more slots that's what your purchasing more slots not the promise your toon will sit there for ever even if you don't play.  Slots are not irrelevant .  

Now please think before you type...thanks :)

• HappyThoughtsHappyThoughts Member Posts: 22
    First off if your inactive character is over level 30 you get to keep your name, I doubt any of the forum ragers took the time to gather this info.  Funny thing if you actually read something from time to time.  Secondly, when are you people that dislike swtor going to move on?  Its way past old now.
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

For a MMO that hasn't even been out for 2 years ( launch date December 22, 2011) it certainly has a lot of issues.  Sounds like an thinly veiled extorted attempt by the company to get ex subscription  players who have taken a break from the game to come back and resubscribe . It does make sense for this to happen to f2p accounts but not so much to players that had been unsubbed for a year or less.One really has to wonder why anyone should really bother with the game that has had such a lack luster financial  performance as well as being underwhelming in game play and performance.

My email is different than the post .

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that on November 12, 2013, we will be initiating a “Character Name Renewal” program which could affect some of your characters.

If you are a Free-to-Play player:

• If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 60 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
    • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 120 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
    • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are a Preferred Status player:

• If your character is below level 10, and you have not played that character in the last 90 days, your character will be flagged for rename
    • If your character is below level 30, and you have not played that character in the last 180 days, your character will be flagged for rename.
    • Characters level 30 and above will be unaffected.

If you are or become a Subscriber:

• You will be unaffected by this Character Name Renewal program.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Asamof

Thanks a lot Rift for starting this new gimmick.

Too bad these MMO's can't get players back through well designed content, and have to resort to scum tactics like this.

To be fair, it wasn't Rift that started this. City of Heroes had started this.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    BioWare already did this. I decided to check out the game again last month and found three of my characters had lost their names. And no, I've never transferred servers. BioWare didn't make me feel too welcome on my return so I didn't feel like staying very long. The only "improvement" added to the game that I could see was the LFG tool.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by HappyThoughts
    First off if your inactive character is over level 30 you get to keep your name, I doubt any of the forum ragers took the time to gather this info.  Funny thing if you actually read something from time to time.  Secondly, when are you people that dislike swtor going to move on?  Its way past old now.

My inactive level 50 lost his name.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Samhael
    Originally posted by HappyThoughts

My inactive level 50 lost his name.

You lost it in a server merge, that's not the same thing.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I lost my names already! They merged servers and my lv 50 Chars lost their names because some lv 10 noob had the name on the new destined server, DESPITE the fact I had EXTRA preordered (the expensive edition for back then 210 Euro, given it was 150 Dollars), ESPECIALLY to have my names reserved.

Now 210 Euro, preorder, play from day one and investing TONS of money for almost a year subs and MUCH money into their items shop, I assume I spent 500-600 Euro on their game. If THAT is not enough to keep my fucking names, Bioware and SWTOR can rot in hell.

MERGE has nothing to do with freeing not used names. Have however upsed also a lot me too at that time. And for sure would not like to return after half year back to all my alts and find they have different namest. Not sure what they mean SUBSCRIBERS. The one that are NOW subbed or what? When I return I always resub (to any game), but then I could left for 3 to 6 months.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

My boyfriend  was unhappy when he lost his name in the original server mergers and he quit playing, so not even free to play enticed him to return, he was just really unhappy that he lost his names... 

To him, the entire point of buying the game early like we did was so that he could have his preferred names, and he's very particular with names.... It can take him days or weeks to think of a name for an mmo... 

Of course, I worry that the game is to small and lacking in content for him to ever return anyway... 

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

I lost 2 of my toon names in a merge, really didn't bother me to much, but it does annoy me that a ton of names are taken now by low level inactive toons, clean them out of the database and I can create toons with the names I want.

If you quit over a toon name so be it, but does that also mean that you wouldn't play a game if you couldn't use the name you wanted? just seems slightly crazy to me to be that upset over a name, when the look and feel comes from how you play not what your handle is.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by daltanious

MERGE has nothing to do with freeing not used names. Have however upsed also a lot me too at that time. And for sure would not like to return after half year back to all my alts and find they have different namest. Not sure what they mean SUBSCRIBERS. The one that are NOW subbed or what? When I return I always resub (to any game), but then I could left for 3 to 6 months.

Subscriber is someone paying a sub now. They have a classification for people who have spent money on the game in the past.  Those ppl get 180 days ( I think ) and remember it's only characters under lvl 30.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by Asamof

Thanks a lot Rift for starting this new gimmick.

Too bad these MMO's can't get players back through well designed content, and have to resort to scum tactics like this.

Rift didn't start this so called gimmick.

Scum tactics , so if you haven't played on a character for a long while and they are below level 30 your name will be changed , so if you haven't bothered logging in in months you consider this scum tactics ? Anyway I'm glad I'm sick of seeing player names such as xXzzucckkxX etc , they can at least have a chance of changing to a better name. In fact it might bring some people back , not because they want to keep their names but because they want their old names back from the 2 huge server merges last year.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

At least SWTOR gives me a decent grace period to log in and thus keep my names.

I was away last week, missed the VERY short deadline from Rift so I did not log in in time and lost several names. I often take longer breakes from MMO's but when I come back I usually subscribe again. Because names ARE important to me I probably won't come back to Rift now.