Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 million Skyrim fans

124»

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Iselin

WOW  keep the Asia, NA, SA and Europe separate - it's like 4 games eh?

sidetopic - thats one thing i find annoying about D3

I have a friend in Kuwait who plays on Euro Servers

D3 is a global game  - you can switch the region using your same BNET acct (unlike WOW)

but you are not allowed to use your same characters on different regions

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I dont see them selling 10 million copies anytime soon... 

But you had no problem predicting that ArenaNet would sell more copies of GW2 than Blizzard's WOW, right lol.

Think you are underestimating the pull of the IP and it's followers. The last time we saw something like this was with WOW and battle.net fans never having played a MMO before but ended up playing WOW.

Like the game or not, TESO will IMO be the first western MMO that get's close to the numbers of WOW.

And unlike your other GW2 prediction, sub based mmo didn't die with the release of GW2. Many players have no problem paying a sub for a decent MMO. The pull of the IP will have people paying a sub without even thinking about it.

well and many people i know around the twitter/facebook and the majority from those i know from real life, for all of them the monthly subscription is a serious issue.. and they are all around ages of 25-35 ... maybe for students and lower ages doesnt matter cause they dont paid for the sub, but for higher ages its a huge turn off .

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I'm seeing a ton of people say stuff that was said about Star Wars The Old Republic..

"The IP will pull in SO many people. star wars has a huge fan base, the game will never fail"

People are pulling assumptions out of their butts without taking anything else into consideration except for the way they THINK the world works. This game will do fine in sales. So many casual players will buy the game because most people don't sit there and look at info for unreleased games for years, months or weeks. They see an ad for it or see it at a store, recognize it from seeing it (or something similar multiple times, it captures their eyes and they try it out. thats the only reason WoW became big. Not because of the name or anything, but because they had millions of dollars put into advertising which is STILL unheard of with western MMOs. It's very common with korean MMOs which is why many of those MMOs have 2-10 times the player base that WoW had at it's *peak*. Everyone acts like WoW is some sort of great MMO that can never be touched. It came be if publishers stop being complete idiots and invest heavily in a good marketing team.

Watch. The next MMO Blizzard makes, they'll likely use the same marketing tactics and get just as many people or more. They'll easily reach all the people they've reached before and even more people who still don't know the concept of MMOs. Blizzard got to people who never heard of MMOs and never even thought they'd be playing games. The advertised on TV which is something only a few western MMOs have done. They're the ONLY ones to have done it with an extreme budget for it in the west. The social network Zwinky, ran an ad campaign for about a MONTH and their membership skyrocketed. Why didn't do it longer than that, I have no idea. Maybe they attracted people they didnt want playing their game? Who knows.

But the point is, if TES advertised on mainstream media and not just to people who already freaking know about the game by running googling ads to gaming sites, then they'll reach a ton of people. I'd be willing to bet that more than 60% of all Skyrim and Oblivion etc players are not even slightly aware of a new TES game. Of the ones that do hear about it, about 5-10% will think it's just a new game made by the same people who made skyrim, and will be ignorant enough to try and pirate it. And like many MMOs all the torrent sites will have it for some reason and they'll wonder why they cant play it even though they downloaded it. Yahoo answers will be flooded with "can I play TES online in single player" and many variations of it. All of you people who came into MMOs after they became mainstream (post-WoW era) don't seem to get the fact that there billions of people out there who don't know what an mmo is. The millions of people WoW brought in is nothing compared to how many who still don't know "mmo" is. The collective people on this planet that play MMOs is very small. and made up mostly of asian players who play asian mmos.

This game will likely trail off quickly like so many others. Game devs think that the mmo genre is the be all end all format for a world/story. The Matrix, Avatar, people think a pokemon mmo would be the best thing ever, etc etc. The very nature of MMOs puts restrictions on everything. And instead of letting you be a person that exists in the world, MMOs want everyone to be the single hero that saved the day. But that's another thing that's wrong with MMOs

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

I'm seeing a ton of people say stuff that was said about Star Wars The Old Republic..

"The IP will pull in SO many people. star wars has a huge fan base, the game will never fail"

People are pulling assumptions out of their butts without taking anything else into consideration except for the way they THINK the world works. This game will do fine in sales. So many casual players will buy the game because most people don't sit there and look at info for unreleased games for years, months or weeks. They see an ad for it or see it at a store, recognize it from seeing it (or something similar multiple times, it captures their eyes and they try it out. thats the only reason WoW became big. Not because of the name or anything, but because they had millions of dollars put into advertising which is STILL unheard of with western MMOs. It's very common with korean MMOs which is why many of those MMOs have 2-10 times the player base that WoW had at it's *peak*. Everyone acts like WoW is some sort of great MMO that can never be touched. It came be if publishers stop being complete idiots and invest heavily in a good marketing team.

Watch. The next MMO Blizzard makes, they'll likely use the same marketing tactics and get just as many people or more. They'll easily reach all the people they've reached before and even more people who still don't know the concept of MMOs. Blizzard got to people who never heard of MMOs and never even thought they'd be playing games. The advertised on TV which is something only a few western MMOs have done. They're the ONLY ones to have done it with an extreme budget for it in the west. The social network Zwinky, ran an ad campaign for about a MONTH and their membership skyrocketed. Why didn't do it longer than that, I have no idea. Maybe they attracted people they didnt want playing their game? Who knows.

But the point is, if TES advertised on mainstream media and not just to people who already freaking know about the game by running googling ads to gaming sites, then they'll reach a ton of people. I'd be willing to bet that more than 60% of all Skyrim and Oblivion etc players are not even slightly aware of a new TES game. Of the ones that do hear about it, about 5-10% will think it's just a new game made by the same people who made skyrim, and will be ignorant enough to try and pirate it. And like many MMOs all the torrent sites will have it for some reason and they'll wonder why they cant play it even though they downloaded it. Yahoo answers will be flooded with "can I play TES online in single player" and many variations of it. All of you people who came into MMOs after they became mainstream (post-WoW era) don't seem to get the fact that there billions of people out there who don't know what an mmo is. The millions of people WoW brought in is nothing compared to how many who still don't know "mmo" is. The collective people on this planet that play MMOs is very small. and made up mostly of asian players who play asian mmos.

This game will likely trail off quickly like so many others. Game devs think that the mmo genre is the be all end all format for a world/story. The Matrix, Avatar, people think a pokemon mmo would be the best thing ever, etc etc. The very nature of MMOs puts restrictions on everything. And instead of letting you be a person that exists in the world, MMOs want everyone to be the single hero that saved the day. But that's another thing that's wrong with MMOs

Your post is kind of missing the point of this thread tbh.

The OP is asking specifically about box sales, so yes people mention the IP because that will be a big factor in box sales (as you yourself admit).

Whether the game trails off quickly is down to content quality and speed of delivery, both these things games like SWTOR failed hard with

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

There is another segment that this game will appeal to

-the segment of players that like faction conflict and pvp

that pool of games is  large

Matt Firor was one of the founders of DAOC..One would expect ESOL to be  a world class game  in that area.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The game would sell way more if it was b2p. I think zenimax have shot themselves in the foot with the subscription model.
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Matt Firor was one of the founders of DAOC..One would expect ESOL to be  a world class game  in that area.

My bet is the factional pvp will be just as crappy as it was in swtor and gw2.

• ZalmonZalmon Member Posts: 319

But for how many is the subscription a reason not to buy the game?

I dont see them selling 10 million copies anytime soon... even tough next to the 10 million officially sold copies there are more then the double of that illegal copies roaming the world...

The majority of casual gamers still has a problem paying a monthly subscription for online gaming...

How many copies do they plan to sell in the first year after release?

Yes because ESO isn't releasing on consoles. Duh!

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Bragging rights PVP with no consequences get's boring real quick, just an endless cycle of the same old same old.

Oh wait, someone can be emperor, okay.

TESO is not DAOC no matter who's making the game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The game would sell way more if it was b2p. I think zenimax have shot themselves in the foot with the subscription model.

not at all they will need a certain amount of months' subs to help them make back their investment.

If at any time those subs fall dangerously low then I can imagine that they will change the payment model.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

it all depends on quality. if this game does indeed bring you into the TES world, and does feel like Skyrim it will be very popular. if it's just a recycled War/AcC/Rift/GW2/etc engine with a TES skin it will not. how many shortcuts were taken? how much care was taken to make it feel like the original single player game?

TES became so incredibly popular because of quality. it's an incredibly well made game that has always pushed the graphical and immersive envelope.

if this game is also incredibly well made it will be a success.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

But for how many is the subscription a reason not to buy the game?

I dont see them selling 10 million copies anytime soon... even tough next to the 10 million officially sold copies there are more then the double of that illegal copies roaming the world...

The majority of casual gamers still has a problem paying a monthly subscription for online gaming...

How many copies do they plan to sell in the first year after release?

How many of them are fans on the console side?  Traditionally, console gamers do not embrace MMOs.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

It's not hard to conclude that a reasonable pool of the PC and Console gamers will not pick up a box title where they have to pay a subscription.

I'm sort of supporting your original premise that there is no way they're going to sell 10M+ copies like D3.

true but D3 sales were PC only

when Skyrim shipped 10 million units, it was across all platforms

http://www.vg247.com/2011/12/16/skyrim-ships-10-million-units-worldwide-sets-steam-record/

i agree w you

its largely unknown how many console gamers are willing to maintain a monthly sub

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

My bet is the factional pvp will be just as crappy as it was in swtor and gw2.

The SWTOR and GW2 devs did not make DAOC.Matt F did.

Faction conflict is a key core feature of ESOL.Faction conflict is not a core feature of SWTOR or GW2.Both are essentially pve games with pvp as a side feature.There is a difference. Firror knows world class rvr/pvp.He helped make the best rvr game ever made.

Look at all the players who like to fight...world of tanks has over 60 million registered users

League of legends over 70 million registered players

the potential for ESOL is enormous.

TES became popular because the community could mod the poor quality production release. Could you imagine if Oblivion and Skyrim couldn't be modded?

You're basically saying if they don't make it an mmo it will be popular. Of course if a game is well made it will be popular. What makes us think it will be any more well made than any other MMO in the last 10 years?

Considering that the majority of sales were consoles, that don't have mods, I don't agree with your assessment at all.

Both games are fine without mods. They have their issues, don't get me wrong, but most mods just change things to be "different" which is not the same as "Poor Quality".

Now, there is some poor quality and we do have mods that address a few of those issues.

But these games are completely playable without mods and the significantly larger console player base shows this.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Sovrath

TES became popular because the community could mod the poor quality production release. Could you imagine if Oblivion and Skyrim couldn't be modded?

You're basically saying if they don't make it an mmo it will be popular. Of course if a game is well made it will be popular. What makes us think it will be any more well made than any other MMO in the last 10 years?

Considering that the majority of sales were consoles, that don't have mods, I don't agree with your assessment at all.

Both games are fine without mods. They have their issues, don't get me wrong, but most mods just change things to be "different" which is not the same as "Poor Quality".

Now, there is some poor quality and we do have mods that address a few of those issues.

But these games are completely playable without mods and the significantly larger console player base shows this.

You have some good points. However, the game actually worked well on the console and the controls were suited towards the platform.

Even though console sales were huge, I think the overall success of the IP is heavily influenced by the modding community. The modding community drove a larger interest in the game. I don't think those console sales would have been nearly so high or the IP relevant without the modding community. I could be wrong and my opinion is subjective, but it does seem reasonable and the influence modding has on keeping an IP relevant has been acknowledged across other games.

That shouldn't be construed that the game won't be successful though, but just tempered by how the single player PC and console gamers work. MMO gamers, overall, I expect to eat the IP up. It will be interesting to see the rest of the gamer demographic respond to a beloved game IP going traditional MMO.

I would agree that mods could have furthered sales however my thought about them is that they maintain the game's identity in the minds of gamers.

So the launching of skyrim (or any elder scrolls game that had mods) isn't so much "fire and forget". They create a lifespan that is well beyond the launch of the main title as well as the dlc additions.

• LpchaosLpchaos Member Posts: 8

Let me set this straight. I am a HUGE skyrim fan. But I hate what this mess is.

I'd take Skyrim + 4 player join in co-op over this garbage anyday.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Lpchaos

You obviously have no idea what you are writing about....  Calling an unfinished under NDA product garbish? sounds like you made your mind up not even knowing 10% of the facts, which in the world of grown ups makes you sound like a....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

You obviously have no idea what you are writing about....  Calling an unfinished under NDA product garbish? sounds like you made your mind up not even knowing 10% of the facts, which in the world of grown ups makes you sound like a....

Are we pretending that there has been no information on the game at all and that know one knows its essentially a GW2 clone? If they are trying to hype and market this game now then its up to them to put the game in a positive light. If they have already tried to do so and it Still gets negative responses as is the case, then it stands to reason they probably made the wrong development decision.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish

Are we pretending that there has been no information on the game at all and that know one knows its essentially a GW2 clone? If they are trying to hype and market this game now then its up to them to put the game in a positive light. If they have already tried to do so and it Still gets negative responses as is the case, then it stands to reason they probably made the wrong development decision.

In what way is it a gw2 clone? They share hardly any mechanics what so ever, the only thing they share is 3 faction pvp, which was pioneered by DAoC, and guess what game the lead designer of teso is famous for?

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

In regards to those who say it is too early to decide about TESO I have this to say...

I already know enough about TESO to know I am not interested in spending money and time on it. .... and the information I used during my decision making process is information publicly known that is NOT under the constraints of the NDA. For me this was enough. (I am not saying it won't be "good", I am just saying "not interested due to design". )

However many other Players will want more info... and IT IS available. Now add to the already released public info more specific  information that is not widely known but available from sources such as.... Players who are beta testers but are not allowed to discuss their participation but have played and not liked what they saw,... leaked info concerning TESO that has "a way of getting around" and is available if you know the right "whom" and "where" to inquire, Beta Testers conferring "offline" between themselves, and etc., etc., and there you have it. Enough information for many People to decide already whether they are going to look forward to this new MMO or move on. NDA or no NDA there are a thousand ways any MMO beta info can and will be acquired by those who wish to do so.

It is not unreasonable that some Players have already made their decision concerning this MMO in a mature and thoughtful manner. This is a good thing, a positive, as Players like me that would not be happy with the game will not purchase and play and then complain they don't like it.

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by deakon

In what way is it a gw2 clone? They share hardly any mechanics what so ever, the only thing they share is 3 faction pvp, which was pioneered by DAoC, and guess what game the lead designer of teso is famous for?

The only possible way you could say it is a GW2 clone, is that they both employ small hotbar, action combat.

The similarity ends there though.  In my opinion, ESO's action combat will be far deeper than GW2's, for three main reasons:

1) Stamina/Mana Management.  In GW2, you only have 1 resource to conserve, and that is Endurance for the Dodge mechanic, and you can basically use it twice over ten seconds.  In ESO, most skills use Stamina or Mana, so managing it effectively is going to be incredibly strategic.

2) Open-ended skill system.  Though it has some limitations, ESO's allows you far more customization of your class and skills.  GW2's trait system really locks you into certain builds.  The meta in WvW at least seems to change very slowly.

3) Trinity.  Opinions may differ, but a Trinity system allows for far better combat encounters in PvE (that don't rely on gimmicks).  It will give more depth to PvP as well.  (Though at high levels in GW2, organized WvW guilds can create a bastardized form of the Trinity).

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

The only possible way you could say it is a GW2 clone, is that they both employ small hotbar, action combat.

The similarity ends there though.  In my opinion, ESO's action combat will be far deeper than GW2's, for three main reasons:

1) Stamina/Mana Management.  In GW2, you only have 1 resource to conserve, and that is Endurance for the Dodge mechanic, and you can basically use it twice over ten seconds.  In ESO, most skills use Stamina or Mana, so managing it effectively is going to be incredibly strategic.

2) Open-ended skill system.  Though it has some limitations, ESO's allows you far more customization of your class and skills.  GW2's trait system really locks you into certain builds.  The meta in WvW at least seems to change very slowly.

3) Trinity.  Opinions may differ, but a Trinity system allows for far better combat encounters in PvE (that don't rely on gimmicks).  It will give more depth to PvP as well.  (Though at high levels in GW2, organized WvW guilds can create a bastardized form of the Trinity).

People thinking this is a Gw2 clone are so far from the truth, sure the targetting system and the weaponswitching seem quite simmilar.... But thats about it ...  Combat will feel so different indeed, with the trinity system, dual resources, no cooldowns on skills...and also the world and content will not be anything  like GW2,  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

People thinking this is a Gw2 clone are so far from the truth, sure the targetting system and the weaponswitching seem quite simmilar.... But thats about it ...  Combat will feel so different indeed, with the trinity system, dual resources, no cooldowns on skills...and also the world and content will not be anything  like GW2,  

It's a DAOC clone much like GW2 as well as having no world pvp and a centralized RvR area. There is hardly any CDs on GW2 skills in the first place besides the special ability and heal skill the waiting time on the rest is a few seconds at best the only ones that are really slow grant perma passive abilities but those are rare set ups. From what I have seen so far it looks much like the same AOE spam nonsense with limited skill options on a console style easy to understand combat system that will utilize less than 6 hotkeys on  your keyboard or PS2 controller.It also looks to have the same watered down PVE. I have yet to see or hear anything on any dev statement to make me think otherwise just a few people telling me that because the fluff is different than it must be definition be better, which is the same thing I used to hear during SWTORs release.