Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where have the people from WAR went?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by greenreen

I just saw that it's shutting down at the end of the year. Yes, yes, I'm late to know. Anyone know where the WAR players are finding a new home? On that note, can someone suggest a good PVP heavy game and why they find it better than others that is sub based.

I was going to go back to the game to see how it was doing but now I have to go elsewhere, maybe Darkfall is the closest? I need a sub based game, no free to stay away. Full loot pvp scares the beejeebluss out of me because I like to craft and losing progress there would break my wittle heart.  Do tell if you know where the sub based rough and tumble games are that you are enjoying.

Thanks

Feel free to PM me about Darkfall. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the only game out there currently close to war is DAOC or GW2 with GW2 having the heaviest population. There is no full loot pvp in either of them and both have a heavy crafting focus being able to craft the almost the best stuff in both games etc. Darkfall is a full loot pvp game not sure why you would want to even try that if your not into full loot.  Guild Wars 2 is zergy though in their realm vs realm (world vs world) zones and you can start at level 1 and get bolstered to level 80 though your gear and skills will not be on the same level as a real level 80. Guild Wars 2 has keep takes though and a scoring system similiar to warhammer and most of the population does pvp in GW2. There is no trinity in guild wars 2 though so its either you support build damage build or control etc. No tanks , no true healer classes though some can heal in tight situations and small skirmish etc. The way GW2 WvW system works is closer to daoc than warhammer though with your entire realm gaining passive bonuses for the more keeps you take and towers bases etc. Its a score point system and there is 4 battlegrounds each per server where you are fighting against 2 other servers for 2 week seasons etc. Read up on it some if your looking for realm vs realm , its buy to play with a cash shop but the shop isnt gear based and purely cosmetic and quality of life improvements such as bag space and potions etc.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    My GW2 server, and a few others are riddled with former WAR guilds.  I think you'd find a great majority of DAoC and WAR players in GW2 now.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

A lot of us that played DAOC and Warhammer have kicked in our money to Mark Jacobs kickstarter a while back and now awaiting alphas for Camelot Unchained. The game won't be out until 2015 at the earliest, but we hang around the forums and chat and read all the info we can from each update. It will be a realm vs. realm game with crafting/housing/seiging.

I'm just kicking around in WoW atm, just to have something to play around with til CU alpha.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    I suggest you try Darkfall. It is very different and refreshing PvP game.

I already spotted few ex WAR player in the area chat in Wolf land.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

It's not clear what everyone's going to play actually. It's probably going to spread out to try to find a new "home".

For me and some others it's going to be DaoC.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The answer is simple, to new and more fun places...

Ther are many older MMO´s i still visit : WoW, lotro, EQ2, DCUo, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, AoC, DDO, rift...

But WAR is not one of them.. and i have no desire to do it either, its best left as a closed down chapter..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ringdanyringdany Member UncommonPosts: 189

well, pvp heavy games which are f2p today and which are like WAR's RvR are :-

DAOC Classic (uthgardt server)

Champions of Regnum

Aika Online

I dont like Aika because it has really weird fuzzy bloom gfx and also it sounds like a very political game. DAOC Classic is fine but it still has that skating animation during combat which i dont really like. So I'm present playing Regnum. Just had another 15vs15vs15 bridge fight 10 minutes ago. Here's an example video of a battle in Regnum :-

http://youtu.be/gmm5n_QUnqY

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    Planetside 2

It's a 3 sided permenantly on rvr game with distinct factions on huge world of just 3 zones which are each bigger than all 4 Wvw zones put together, where guilds matter and with a nice daoc like progression. and its free
  • mmochallengemmochallenge Member Posts: 11
    According to the Darkfall forum few clans have already migrated there.  Where ever you go good luck to all. 

Take the 30 days MMO Challenge!

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    TBH GW2 i know you said you were banned on forums, could always buy it was  a new  email idk.  I like this  game  more than I did a year ago and getting more into.  They have made more and more improvements in the game.  I really like the ruins they introduced in WvW.  More chances to to get the smaller scale pvp.  Ascended gear really isnt that hard to get.  To respond to your  statement I think doylaks do have rewards now.  I would recommend giving it another try.  Personally, I find the game to be growing.  IMO its one of the truly active games that has released after WoW.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    You should try DAOC. Judge for yourself.14 day free trial (all features included)

Alternatives to DAOC for f2P RvR open PvP combat are :-

Shadowbane emu

Champions of Regnum

Aika

Aion

All of these are outlasting Warhammer... poor Warhammer :/ I didn't include Lineage 2 style mmos in this list because L2 pvp is flag based - you get some sort of karma penalty if you kill the wrong enemy player.

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by ringdany

Shadowbane emu

Champions of Regnum

Aika

Aion

All of these are outlasting Warhammer... poor Warhammer :/ I didn't include Lineage 2 style mmos in this list because L2 pvp is flag based - you get some sort of karma penalty if you kill the wrong enemy player.

WAR is 1000x better than all those games listed.

Even DAOC, imo.. it's just too dated and sluggish.

Darkfall:Unholy Wars is the ONLY alternative to WAR if your looking for sieging, open pvp, and RvR.

The only differance between Darkfall and traditional RvR, is that the players create alliances that serve as Realms, and there's more than 3 player created factions in the game.

[quote] Originally posted by LustmordWAR is 1000x better than all those games listed.[/b] Even DAOC, imo.. it's just too dated and sluggish.   Darkfall:Unholy Wars is the ONLY alternative to WAR if your looking for sieging, open pvp, and RvR. The only differance between Darkfall and traditional RvR, is that the players create alliances that serve as Realms, and there's more than 3 player created factions in the game.[/quote] 

i dunno, if WAR was that good it would have survived. it's no point building a gloriously colourful gfx world if the gameplay/balance is shit. it's not going to survive. at least regnum was smart enough to aim for gameplay and commercial survival. at least the hours we put into learning regnum's combat still lets us play.

Darkfall:UW isn't really an alternative to WAR for me. Darkfall is rumoured to be riddled with corruption. This makes pvp pointless when you know your opponents are given OP and free items by biased devs.

Shadowbane may be a better alternative than Darkfall. Shadowbane is f2p, has seiges, factions made by players (more than 3), cities built by players and open pvp.  Shadowbane even has flight. But the big negative for Shadowbane is this: it doesn't have official IP support (yuck).

Darkfall:UW isn't really an alternative to WAR for me. Darkfall is rumoured to be riddled with corruption. This makes pvp pointless when you know your opponents are given OP and free items by biased devs.

What is the source of the rumor that makes you believe as a fact?  I feel bias in here...

. I give you a proof that AV is a company that actually fights cheaters, gold buyers, etc. They publicly publish the cheaters, hacker, etc in this website:

http://www.unholybanhammer.com/BH/

If Darkfall is not your type of game that is fine, however please stop propagating these kinds false information... If you been playing games for last 10 years, you will know that hacking is common in any game these days.  The difference is what does the game company do about it.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Originally posted by gamekid2k What is the source of the rumor that makes you believe as a fact?  I feel bias in here...   . I give you a proof that AV is a company that actually fights cheaters, gold buyers, etc. They publicly publish the cheaters, hacker, etc in this website: http://www.unholybanhammer.com/BH/ If Darkfall is not your type of game that is fine, however please stop propagating these kinds false information... If you been playing games for last 10 years, you will know that hacking is common in any game these days.  The difference is what does the game company do about it.

sadly, the news of widespread corruption is true, and apparently persisted even in darkfall 1:-
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/1ljhew/state_of_the_game/

and yes, a lot of mmos publish lists of players banned but if you read the reddit thread, it is quite clear this is aventurine themselves condoning the corruption. the devs can't ban themselves.

(note: ive been thinking about this more. i think... maybe stuff like this happens in every mmo to varying degrees. im just not sure how it fits in morally exactly)

Originally posted by gamekid2k What is the source of the rumor that makes you believe as a fact?  I feel bias in here...   . I give you a proof that AV is a company that actually fights cheaters, gold buyers, etc. They publicly publish the cheaters, hacker, etc in this website: http://www.unholybanhammer.com/BH/ If Darkfall is not your type of game that is fine, however please stop propagating these kinds false information... If you been playing games for last 10 years, you will know that hacking is common in any game these days.  The difference is what does the game company do about it.

sadly, the news of widespread corruption is true, and apparently persisted even in darkfall 1:-
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Darkfall/comments/1ljhew/state_of_the_game/

and yes, a lot of mmos publish lists of players banned but if you read the reddit thread, it is quite clear this is aventurine themselves condoning the corruption. the devs can't ban themselves.

(note: ive been thinking about this more. i think... maybe stuff like this happens in every mmo to varying degrees. im just not sure how it fits in morally exactly)

yeah everything in Internet, I mean reddit must be true and factual! 

Please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit#Controversies_involving_Reddit

Originally posted by Lustmord

Shadowbane emu

Champions of Regnum

Aika

Aion

WAR is 1000x better than all those games listed.

Even DAOC, imo.. it's just too dated and sluggish.

Darkfall:Unholy Wars is the ONLY alternative to WAR if your looking for sieging, open pvp, and RvR.

The only differance between Darkfall and traditional RvR, is that the players create alliances that serve as Realms, and there's more than 3 player created factions in the game.

well i'd say war was better than aion, I think daoc in its day was better than war, but tis UI is really anoying compared to modern games

Darkfall  IS NOT A REALM VS REALM game.  There's no REALMS in it for a start.  It may be a fun game with big PVP, but its not a RVR game its a FFA game.

There's only been a handful of RVR games - namely DAOC, Planetside, Warhammer, Aion & Planetside 2 (probably some Asian titles I've never heard of too).

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    The only difference between Darkfall and an RvR game is that the realms are not hard coded.
    But players create large alliances that serve as realms. There is still the sense of realm pride.
  • nickelsig229nickelsig229 Member UncommonPosts: 27

I loved warhammer. 

But you say it was better then shadowbane? c'mon man....

Lustmord
    It's not nearly the same though is it.

With a rvr game you can enter as a noob and know you are safe with 50% or 33% of the players depending on the game.

With a ffa game like eve or darkfall you can't trust anyone. Now that's an attraction for some as it gives more believabilty, suspense and politics. But its not the same as a rvr game, some war players may like the additional factor of having to watch your back and manage your risk, but quite a lot of others won't.
  • MrBootsMrBoots Member UncommonPosts: 289

[mod edit]

It's not sunshine and roses in darkfall. One of the devs recently admitted they are having financial difficulties, and the server population has declined so much that players have to make posts in the forums to agree on which area to meet up in for pvp. Global chat is mostly a few guys whining about how few people still play.

About the corruption rumor: It was rumored that AV is selling game currency and items through a certain Auction website. All bans of sellers on that site so far have been the main competitors for the guy that is rumored to be AV's seller. After people started talking about AV's association with that seller on the forums, AV banned every poster and deleted every post about it. Talking about it is the quickest way to get banned now.

Buyer Beware!

[Mr Boots Edit]

Mr Mod I just thought it was unfair that this person comes to this forum and poses as a satisfied player of another game.

• I played Warhammer like 4,5 years. And I loved it. There is no other game like Warhammer right now. Maybe Daoc... For me, I'm playing Guild Wars 2 right now. WvW nothing like RvR in Warhammer. But it is not bad at all. I'm playin Guild Wars 2 more then one year right now. And I think I'll play it till Warhammer 40k release. Now the new WvW map is on the way, I'm more excited than ever...