Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dependence on others

BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46

Right now I have a level 18 witch. I do most of the game solo but when I get stuck I join a random public group. I have a feeling that this game will be soloable or done a PUG. Does the need to group improve later on? Will I ever be dependent on people down the road? Will anyone ever need the skills I bring to the battle as a witch or am I just a nameless and faceless toon? PoE is a fun game, but I know that I won't stick with it if I don't build friendships in the game.

I love working with people to accomplish things in games.  In PoE, I'd love to organize parties for certain instances and change weapons and gems for certain bosses, etc. Does this exist in PoE?

Comments

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I played PoE throughout pretty much the entire beta, and I'm sad to say that teams always felt optional.

I was able to solo pretty much everything, sometimes i had to be careful to do it but i still could

Friends make it easier and faster, but they're absolutely not required at all.

• JaknifeJaknife Member Posts: 51

Exactly the same, solo'd it.

Just put as much heal on hit / mana on hit as you can, and increase mana / health regen, and you can pretty much stand there shooting all day long.

I had the frost balls crystal (not sure on the exact name), but it blasts through mobs, and has a chance to freeze them, so half the time they never even get to touch you.

This was even on the boss mobs.

Another game like this that I really liked was the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

Same type of game, but you get a companion ghost who is really funny when she chats, and you can send her off to sell your items, like the pet in Torchlight.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Jaknife

Exactly the same, solo'd it.

Just put as much heal on hit / mana on hit as you can, and increase mana / health regen, and you can pretty much stand there shooting all day long.

I had the frost balls crystal (not sure on the exact name), but it blasts through mobs, and has a chance to freeze them, so half the time they never even get to touch you.

This was even on the boss mobs.

Another game like this that I really liked was the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

Same type of game, but you get a companion ghost who is really funny when she chats, and you can send her off to sell your items, like the pet in Torchlight.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Van Helsing. I am currently having fun in PoE on my Scion atm thou.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

In PoE you really are nameless and faceless. Anyone can have your skills and most classes overlap in some way or another (auras).

And after you play PoE for a while, you finally get used to the passive tree and see past it. Once you do you realize that there's actually almost no customization. There's very few ways to interact with enemies in the game world, so you'll play a witch that plays very much like any other class.

• YohanuYohanu Member UncommonPosts: 215

I've played a lot of characters up to Merciless solo, but i have yet to do any real grouping. My next planned character is designed for group synergy though, and i'll be playing with a few friends who will also specifically design theirs around that aspect. 

Grouping with a nice synergy is certainly possible, it just requires others to make characters designed around it as well.

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Bennu

Right now I have a level 18 witch. I do most of the game solo but when I get stuck I join a random public group. I have a feeling that this game will be soloable or done a PUG. Does the need to group improve later on? Will I ever be dependent on people down the road? Will anyone ever need the skills I bring to the battle as a witch or am I just a nameless and faceless toon? PoE is a fun game, but I know that I won't stick with it if I don't build friendships in the game.

I love working with people to accomplish things in games.  In PoE, I'd love to organize parties for certain instances and change weapons and gems for certain bosses, etc. Does this exist in PoE?

Groups are never required for POE, which I'm really glad for. I think requiring grouping would kill it for many players. However, grouping can be done to work very well if you get good groups. There is a lot of builds and teams that work well in a group and they play that way.

End game maps, you can group or solo, however, well played groups that build and balance out each other will do much better. (Much better means faster killing, better loot % chance drops, harder maps for higher level exp/content, and faster leveling)

So can you solo? Yes. But grouping with real team players/builds is prefered. Problem is that you can't just randomly jump in a group and say "Hey I'm a tank" or "Im DPS", you need to find the right group of people that you can fit into and play as a group not 5 other solo players grouping.

-MrDDT