Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worst community by a country mile

Comments

• CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by uplink4242

You are mistaking what I said. I never said EVE is supposed to be a fight of good versus evil. I'm pretty sure the grand majority of veteran players do not see the game by these lens. Simply put, it's a game of interests. For you that got blown up, you see your agression as the bad guy, while the other person was most likely looking for a fight, or some easy money to fund his new ship. And in 9/10 cases he probably won't remember your name after 5 minutes. 

Nobody is playing eve to be the good guy or the bad guy. Everyone is playing to achieve what they find fun. Another person's fun might conflict with yours, and surely as this is an actual MMO game, conflicts are generated around this and other people's actions can affect your experience. It's a shocking for most players, and it's supposed to be like this.

There are no moral laws in the game outside the TOS (and this means repeated verbal harassment WILL get you banned, and most recently, any form of impersonation of another player). Hence, as you said our last resort is actually our 'first' resort: revenge, theft and murder. And do you know why this isn't a big deal? Because it's a videogame, and definetly not the first to encourage such activities. The people that find EVE's community to be a horrible pile of nolifer sociophats are actually the ones aggravated for being poked at in a virtual game, and especially one that advertises itself as being the definition of player freedom. Calling it a 'bad community' because you didn't get special treatment, and because people are playing the game exactly the way it's supposed to is a pretty misinformed statement.

You (along with many others) are just disappointed the game does not meet your wrong assumptions about it. 

I am not disappointed - to be disappointed implies I had some higher expectations to begin with.  I am just describing what I find, which is that self-policing doesn't work in the online environment.

As for the rest, these have been heard before.  "Its a video game!" is catch-all commonly used to absolve people of any responsbility towards others.  "Grow a thicker skin!" is also common, usually followed by pics of crying babies, tissue cartons, "can I have your stuff?" and "don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

This goes beyond video games of course.  The idea that the online world is a morality free zone is something greater society is wrestling with.  Maybe online amorality is here to stay.  But that doesn't mean we need to accept it as the new norm.  The fact we cannot stop kids from using Facebook to haze teen peers into suicide doesn't mean we should stop describing what's happening as wrong.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Cembrye
    Maybe online amorality is here to stay.  But that doesn't mean we need to accept it as the new norm. 

"Your sins are not my sins." - Ihsahn

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

You are mistaking what I said. I never said EVE is supposed to be a fight of good versus evil. I'm pretty sure the grand majority of veteran players do not see the game by these lens. Simply put, it's a game of interests. For you that got blown up, you see your agression as the bad guy, while the other person was most likely looking for a fight, or some easy money to fund his new ship. And in 9/10 cases he probably won't remember your name after 5 minutes. 

Nobody is playing eve to be the good guy or the bad guy. Everyone is playing to achieve what they find fun. Another person's fun might conflict with yours, and surely as this is an actual MMO game, conflicts are generated around this and other people's actions can affect your experience. It's a shocking for most players, and it's supposed to be like this.

There are no moral laws in the game outside the TOS (and this means repeated verbal harassment WILL get you banned, and most recently, any form of impersonation of another player). Hence, as you said our last resort is actually our 'first' resort: revenge, theft and murder. And do you know why this isn't a big deal? Because it's a videogame, and definetly not the first to encourage such activities. The people that find EVE's community to be a horrible pile of nolifer sociophats are actually the ones aggravated for being poked at in a virtual game, and especially one that advertises itself as being the definition of player freedom. Calling it a 'bad community' because you didn't get special treatment, and because people are playing the game exactly the way it's supposed to is a pretty misinformed statement.

You (along with many others) are just disappointed the game does not meet your wrong assumptions about it. 

I am not disappointed - to be disappointed implies I had some higher expectations to begin with.  I am just describing what I find, which is that self-policing doesn't work in the online environment.

As for the rest, these have been heard before.  "Its a video game!" is catch-all commonly used to absolve people of any responsbility towards others.  "Grow a thicker skin!" is also common, usually followed by pics of crying babies, tissue cartons, "can I have your stuff?" and "don't let the door hit you on the way out!"

This goes beyond video games of course.  The idea that the online world is a morality free zone is something greater society is wrestling with.  Maybe online amorality is here to stay.  But that doesn't mean we need to accept it as the new norm.  The fact we cannot stop kids from using Facebook to haze teen peers into suicide doesn't mean we should stop describing what's happening as wrong.

But it is just a game...

A game that CCP owns 100%.  CCP owns it all!

You don't own that spaceship.  You don't own that plex.  You don't own your corp or your character.  You don't own what your character does or says to other characters.  CCP owns it all.

You don't own anything at all.

You pay for a subscription to access a role playing video game that CCP provides.

The universe that CCP created for us to play in is not real - it's fake; it's bullshit; it's just a game!  It has no real world values so how can you apply real world morals and ethics when there's no real offenses committed.

Somebody stole from you?  Nope, ccp owns everything so it's not possible for that crime.  Somebody murdered you?  Nope, you're sitting at a keyboard perfectly safe.

Your character is that one that all of these good or bad things happen to since it's the one that exists in the universe of eve online and not you - that's why these games are called role playing games to begin with.

Is that the problem?  You don't understand that you are subscribing to an RPG?  The offenses your character has suffered you adopt as your own suffering?

It's just a massively multiplayer role playing game.

People on facebook are real people and not an online persona so obviously real world morals and ethics apply to them and should govern a person's conduct when intertacting with them.

Do you see the difference between a persona adopted for fun in a MMORPG and the person behind the keyboard?

It's okay to attack the persona (fake) but not the person (real).

I wish people would get their heads around this simple concept and just enjoy the game (perhaps as a ruthless pirate?)

• uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258

That's the thing. Games are a morality free zone (within boundaries of human decency course), because just as there are no real life consequences for the agressor, there are also no real life consequences for the victim either. It's a role playing game. People are supposed to interact with eachother in the way they want, and the game being a sandbox further acerebates the point. It's not like it even tries to hide it either, the game makes it well known and advertises itself as a player driven world, and as such you will have to accept that fact if you want to play it. The "sadistic rhetoric", that I don't find sadistic, is helpful to separate the people who understand the difference between a game and real life from the ones who don't. It brings out reactions, often hilarious ones, and it gives depth to a game that being a MMORPG is based around role playing a character in a fantasy world.

Indeed, that calls for "Grow a thicker skin!" is also common, usually followed by pics of crying babies, tissue cartons, "can I have your stuff?" and "don't let the door hit you on the way out!", because you're simply arguing that the game is not to your liking and it's wrong despite knowing the rules already.

• EvgireonEvgireon Member Posts: 71
    It wasn't always bad. There was a time when EVE's community was pretty awesome, before it got infested by a bunch of miners and carebears from WoW and similar nonsensical MMOs. Also there are people who put in a lot of effort trying to improve the community, like Istvaan Shogaatsu (sp?), James 315, Psychotic Monk and others.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Evgireon
    It wasn't always bad. There was a time when EVE's community was pretty awesome, before it got infested by a bunch of miners and carebears from WoW and similar nonsensical MMOs. Also there are people who put in a lot of effort trying to improve the community, like Istvaan Shogaatsu (sp?), James 315, Psychotic Monk and others.

That's a red herring.

Most mining and Industrial is still done with Alts and is required in EVE.

EVE was destroyed by Meta and loose mechanics regarding social networks like Alliances. The disbanding of BoB was the first real nail in the xenophobic coffin of EVE.

• BurnouttxBurnouttx Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by Evgireon

I agree.  There are people like EvE University who will help out and train people to play this game.  In my opinion, people who troll and cry about this game forget the most basic tenant of playing EvE Online.  It's not designed to just look like a cold, harsh place. It's designed TO BE a cold, harsh place. If you are not willing to do the research and put in the time to learn how to play this game, it will kick you in a certain male part and laugh in your face when you lose.  This is one of the few games that I get the rush of risking it and the rush of success all in one package.  Sad to say, some of the crying carebears out there are just not cut out for this.

I'm saying this and I am an industry person in this game too.  I have been targeted by gankers, mercenaries, and fellow corp people.  Every time I got into a battle or lost a ship, I learned a little more on how to survive and I am happy to say, I've started to gank some of them right back.  Especially their mining ships.  I shouldn't since I am an industrial type, but I get all giddy watching their Retrievers and Hulks go pop.

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

The community has deteriorated over the years. Just turn on the recruitment channel and listen to the morons who disturb this channel each and every day. You would be shocked at the open racism, anti-semitism et al... that goes on without check from the GM's. Is this also part of the game?

I don't think so.

However, the real problem in a game this harsh is the fact you do not have to be responsible for your actions. Most of the asshattery is being done by the many alts players have, so their main characters do not suffer accordingly.

Now I realize that multiple accounts and alts are not going away and I'm certainly not advocating this.

What I'm saying is... This game screams for ONE character gameplay. That way if you want to be a scammer, racist or general moron, you will have to stand on your own reputation with other players.

I hear other posters equate Eve to the real world. Well... In the real world you don't have alts to hide your general bad behavior.

P.S. I still play and enjoy the game regardless.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by COORS

The community has deteriorated over the years. Just turn on the recruitment channel and listen to the morons who disturb this channel each and every day. You would be shocked at the open racism, anti-semitism et al... that goes on without check from the GM's. Is this also part of the game?

I don't think so.

However, the real problem in a game this harsh is the fact you do not have to be responsible for your actions. Most of the asshattery is being done by the many alts players have, so their main characters do not suffer accordingly.

Now I realize that multiple accounts and alts are not going away and I'm certainly not advocating this.

What I'm saying is... This game screams for ONE character gameplay. That way if you want to be a scammer, racist or general moron, you will have to stand on your own reputation with other players.

I hear other posters equate Eve to the real world. Well... In the real world you don't have alts to hide your general bad behavior.

Ahahaha of course you can have "alts" in the real world. It's called having money or power and paying or coercing people to do things and then to pretend that they didn't get the instruction from you. eg: Astroturfing, to pick a very very mild example.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• BurnouttxBurnouttx Member UncommonPosts: 21

I don't think so.

That's for every game.... There will always be retards with keyboards.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Burnouttx

I don't think so.

That's for every game.... There will always be retards with keyboards.

True enough. What makes EVE unique is those morons can have deep impacting effect on your game and tend to be the ones who do because the other 90% never bother you.

I don't think so.

Ah, no; if a person wants to be a racist they can just piss off.

Attack the toon not the gamer.

Eve online's TOS:

1. You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)
      2. You may not organize nor be a member of any corporation or group within EVE Online that is based on or advocates any anti-ethnic, anti-gay, anti-religious, racist, sexist or other hate-mongering philosophies
      3. You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules. While EVE Online is a persistent world, fantasy role-playing game, the claim of role-playing is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior. Role-playing is encouraged, but not at the expense of other player. You may not create or participate in a corporation or group that habitually violates this policy.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Hazelle

I don't think so.

Eve online's TOS:

1. You may not use any abusive, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, harassing, harmful, hateful, obscene, offensive, sexually explicit, threatening or vulgar language. (Alternate spelling or partial masking of such words will be reprimanded in the same manner as the actual use of such words.)
      2. You may not organize nor be a member of any corporation or group within EVE Online that is based on or advocates any anti-ethnic, anti-gay, anti-religious, racist, sexist or other hate-mongering philosophies
      3. You may not use “role-playing” as an excuse to violate these rules. While EVE Online is a persistent world, fantasy role-playing game, the claim of role-playing is not an acceptable defense for anti-social behavior. Role-playing is encouraged, but not at the expense of other player. You may not create or participate in a corporation or group that habitually violates this policy.

Lol that's funny that you posted this. Because most players in that game don't follow any of it.

Originally posted by Hariken
    Originally posted by Hazelle

I don't think so.

Eve online's TOS:

Lol that's funny that you posted this. Because most players in that game don't follow any of it.

If you report it CCP will take action.

The game is about internet spaceships. pew pew pew.

Let's keep it.

CCP is actually pretty strict enforcing those rules. Any kind of repeated harassment outside of game mechanics will get you punished.

People blowing your ship up has nothing to do with the community being good or bad. This is typical carebear tears flowing. 

CCP is actually pretty strict enforcing those rules. Any kind of repeated harassment outside of game mechanics will get you punished.

People blowing your ship up has nothing to do with the community being good or bad. This is typical carebear tears flowing. 

Lol it has nothing to do with being carebear. You guys kill me with that carebear line you always hear from Eve players. The problem is that most people that  play this game are jerks period. And the game was made for them. There's no other game out there that lets you be a complete scumbag to other players. Its part of the game. If your not willing to be an ahole in this game to other players than the game is not for you. You guys can defend this game all you like. But its all bs. Its a niche game that caters to players that like treating others like crap.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I see tons of nice people.  If there weren't any the rookie help channel would be dead.  You just have to get out of this idea that you're safe.  Find a good corp and you'll have tons of nice people.  If you're not in my corp and/or my enemy flying into my corps space well we're going to shoot you :P.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

PvP MMORPGs favor particular groups of people that have unusual amounts of time to spend on online gaming.

These people are not necessarily the nicest nor the most intelligent people.

I suspect many of these people are playing MMORPGs because they can't do anything else or they don't fit in anywhere else.

I can't prove this, but just because I can't measure something doesn't mean it's not true.

My experience - using TeamSpeak etc - informs me it probably is true - especially in the most 'hardcore' groups.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Zarak11
    Play some DotA then,ul see the difference.

DOTA communities are like little angels compared to wretched people that play EVE.

Try the League of Legends EU east community and then we'll talk again. 

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I can't prove this, but just because I can't measure something doesn't mean it's not true.

Actually it does, it's called this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof

Lol it has nothing to do with being carebear. You guys kill me with that carebear line you always hear from Eve players. The problem is that most people that  play this game are jerks period. And the game was made for them. There's no other game out there that lets you be a complete scumbag to other players. Its part of the game. If your not willing to be an ahole in this game to other players than the game is not for you. You guys can defend this game all you like. But its all bs. Its a niche game that caters to players that like treating others like crap.

Of course it has to do with being a carebear. Because the people that generally kill eachother usually shrug off their losses and continue to play witouth crying about it. From experience, it's usually the 'carebears' that get all worked up because someone decided to gank their miner in a game that's not supposed to be safe anywhere.

Ganking someone is not treating them like crap, it is not being an asshole, it is part of the game.  The whole point of the game is to have risks, and to have an experience that's not 100% restricted by the game rules. People aren't going to hold hands in a competitive game, but for some reason there are a few people that think they should be allowed to do everything they want with no interferece from others in a game that strictly advertises itself and is known for being the other way around. Until people understand this, threads like this on will keep existing when the game does not meet your false expectations.

Of course it has to do with being a carebear. Because the people that generally kill eachother usually shrug off their losses and continue to play witouth crying about it. From experience, it's usually the 'carebears' that get all worked up because someone decided to gank their miner in a game that's not supposed to be safe anywhere.

Ganking someone is not treating them like crap, it is not being an asshole, it is part of the game.  The whole point of the game is to have risks, and to have an experience that's not 100% restricted by the game rules. People aren't going to hold hands in a competitive game, but for some reason there are a few people that think they should be allowed to do everything they want with no interferece from others in a game that strictly advertises itself and is known for being the other way around. Until people understand this, threads like this on will keep existing when the game does not meet your false expectations.

Did you even read my post. I did say it was part of the game. And if that person is crying about getting ganked in this game then he/she is stupid for not doing any research into what this game is about. I stick by what i said.  The game was made for people that like crapping on someone else's gameplay whether they like it or not.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Eve, personally i think it has an awesome community, but, have to remember, this isnt toon town online. The only friends you have in game are your fellow Corp members, and Alliance members, everyone else, literally everyone else, is a potential if not definite target of opportunity. Solo players have a hard time because there is no safe haven, even high sec has its own risks, which are ignored only at your own peril. Eve's learning curve isnt just about finding which skills to learn, or which ship to fly or which modules to fit even, those are just mechanics, probably the hardest thing to do in Eve is find a corporation to join that suits what you want out of the game, usually its also finding out what you want out of the game in the first place, so if i had to say what type of community Eve had, i would say its an extremely 'varied' one, where communities are often defined by language as much as ideals, its just another of the 'unique' things about Eve.image
  • AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I've played EVE off and on for the last 5 years, and the community is always the main reason I leave.

Even if youre a PvE player, wanting to do nothing but missions and mining, you will still never find any peace. There are far too many scumbags ready to ruin your day, and they call it fun.

In EVE, griefing IS the end game

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
     Is a rural mile any different than a urban mile?  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin