Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the best game ever?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

CHESS... Playing that game for over 35 year and still getting better..  tough i am far from a pro, its still fun after all those years.

(find me on the IOS SocialChess app under the name of Lordbachus)

And D&D up to edition 3.5 if you want to play with more then 2 people...  

(sadly my friends grew up and we are to few to play these days, does anyone know an online community where PnP D&D actually is played?)

I cant choose a single best computer game, as my perfect game is still not made... Well aside from MMo´s it must have been Daggerfall back in those days, but then i see MMO´s of an evolution of Daggerfall.

So what are your favourite games?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

It's a tough choice between chess and Go. Go is more elegant, but chess has better graphics.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2456/3718557657_48578c7b8e_z.jpg

Those elephants. That DOF. So awesome.

Planescape: Torment is my favorite video game of all time.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Tetris. Never fails to entertain me.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Best game ever ?

Probably the game of thrones: You win or die.

That one will keep you occupied until your death ;)

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Rogue :)

Nuff said.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Tetris on the original game boy.. never gets old
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Golf, extremely challenging trying to put a small ball into a not much larger hole across the span of 565 yards in 5 strokes or less.

Oh, you meant video games.

Single player is hard, but I'd say the Might and Magic series, including Heroes was my all time favorite.

MMOs, toss up between Eve and DAOC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I used to answer this question with an immediate and emphatic "Wizardry" but after recently really looking at that, I found my answer is really Dark Forest. It began my affinity for conquest games and it's actually one of the measuring sticks I use for everything from RISK-like games to sims like the Civilization series. Easy to play, quick games, mutliple maps, just enough random to keep it interesting, strategic zones that require extra management, and single or multiplayer. It's everything I want from a conquest game. 

It doesn't suffer me through odd micromanagement for the sake of micromanagement like

• manually harvesting each tile of wheat (I'm looking at you, Lord of the Realm)
    • making pieces walk from point A to B, not because there's anything in that space but to justify the r33t animations
    • waiting for resource meters to tick to the right number to build some equally superfluous step in a process

Lordlings of Yore, Castles, Castles 2, The Civ series, Pirates! Gold, RISK, Axis and Allies... all games that I played the crap out of and all games that I find I've often weighed against Dark Forest so, for me, the best game ever was Dark Forest.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

I never really played physical games, so don't really have a favorite. As for computer games I can't possibly pick one favorite, but the game I've played more than anything else is Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2 from Microprose. Other favorites in no particular order:

• All the Elder Scrolls games (if I HAD to pick 1 game series, this would be it)
    • Black Isle/BioWare games based on the infinity engine (Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1+2, Icewind Dale 1+2)
    • Heroes of Might & Magic 3
    • Thief 1+2
    • System Shock 2
    • Deus Ex 1
    • Pirates!
    • Captive (Amiga)
    • Unreal/Unreal Tournament
    • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PlayStation)
    • There are many more, but these were the first that came to mind.

MMO wise I would pick DAoC as my favorite.

Edit - The SCUMM engine games deserves a mention as well, played those a lot (Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Indiana Jones).

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Skyrim.  Was there really any other choice?  Had Skyrim not existed, I would have gone with Baldur's Gate II.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    For me the best game ever came in 2002.totally unknown company at the time.they are quite well known now Divine divinity http://www.larian.com/Site/english/divinity/divinity.html
  • KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789
    I have had many favorites through the years, (I especially love the Elder Scroll series), but the one I know I have logged the most hours and years into has to be Starwars Galaxies..RIP sob.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

game?    how about a tool -- a deck of cards

old PC game:  Master of Magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic

old Mac Game: Mission Thunderbolt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Thunderbolt

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kevjards
    For me the best game ever came in 2002.totally unknown company at the time.they are quite well known now Divine divinity http://www.larian.com/Site/english/divinity/divinity.html

easily my favorite ARPG

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Super Metroid

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    Skyrim.  Was there really any other choice?  Had Skyrim not existed, I would have gone with Baldur's Gate II.

I actually agree .

Skyrim is probably best example of a perfect game.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Nadia
    game?    how about a tool -- a deck of cards old PC game:  Master of Magichttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic old Mac Game: Mission Thunderbolthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Thunderbolt 

As to the second part of your post, no idea.

As to the deck of cards, I have carried a deck with me most of my life.

I took a deck to war, all my non-combat deployments, hunting camp, hiking, biking, everywhere. Nothing has ever been so capable of eating up large amounts of down time as a deck of cards.

Good comment, +1 to you Nadia.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Shouldn't the title be "whats the best game you have ever played" lol. I might think defender was the the best game ever but that's just my opinion.

It's impossible for everyone to be right.

For me it has to be Gothic 2 & Night Of The Raven expansion.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Ok, so I have a lot of "favorites", but I looked at the question from the standpoint of "what game would you never refuse to play if someone offered".

Chinese checkers is my only response.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Nadia

game?    how about a tool -- a deck of cards

Very nice. A deck of cards comes in quite handy and is very versatile. For me though, a handful of D6s is just as handy.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I dunno but it definitely wasn't Skyrim~.

For me it is generally games that offered a ton of re-playability which for the most part were strategy based games. RPG just don't offer that, not even the Elder Scrolls games. I did play their first game a ton, Arena.

Tetris
    Rogue
    Civ 2
    Ultima IV
    Age of Empires
    XCom UFO Defense
    Master of Magic
    Master of Orion 2
    Dragonrealms (MUD)
    Dragon's Gate (MUD)

Once I started playing MMORPG then most other games fell by the wayside. Probably the most played of my MMORPG were.

EQ
    WoW (early beta until lich king when it really went downhill)

As for non computer games

Risk
    Titan (best board game ever~)
    AD&D, Champions and Rolemaster
    Magic the Gathering in the earlier days, they expanded too fast to keep it fun. (made a boatload off of my black border cards though :))

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

AD&D second edition.

No mmo has ever come close to the worlds we created. No single player game has every been as good as the personal stories we used to experience. A living adventure where you had the freedom to do whatever you wanted, and where wasn't something you just respawned and came back from. It was often the end of your character.

Computer games have given us a lot as far as the visual experience goes but it's still a long ways from what our imaginations can create.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Although I agree that Go and Chess are serious contenders, I'd say Bridge is the best. :D

Don't have a "best" video game opinion; I've played lots of them and each brought something to the table at the time.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Best board-game:

Axis and Allies

Caused some of the most epic games between my brother and I (as well as arguments) that we've ever had.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Savage 2

One of the most underrated games imo ever made.

Absolutely EPIC battles where I felt part of something much bigger than myself.

Player skill, team skill, where each one of my actions made an incredible difference in how the game turned out.

Oh and did I mention the battles were EPIC!

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Eye of the beholder :)

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe