Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Trials of Ascension: A Little Q&A about the KS for ToA

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Too many abbreviations? We're talking about a little question and answer about the KickStarter for Trials of Ascension. Still not sure what Trials of Ascension is? You'll know much more after reading today's Independency. Head through the jump and then tell us what you think in the comments.

LJ: How about a little ToA history lesson. What was it before, and what do you hope this new incarnation will be?

ToA: We designed and developed a prototype of ToA under the Shadowpool Studios banner. That was a time of growth and learning for us. It turned out the design was too ambitious. We received funding offers and were willing to cut back on the scope of the design, but to secure the money we were being asked to compromise our core features, the very features that made ToA stand out from the other MMOs. We're not sellouts, especially for something we spent years on, so we did the hardest thing we've ever done and closed shop.

Read more of Lisa Jonte's Independency: A Little Q&A about the KS for ToA.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Now this... I'm excited for. The only question now is: will the combat be a generic WoW style type or something truly innovative and fun? Please no tab targeting with button mashing. Pleaseeeee no. And thank you so much for the skills and stats, those were ideas I had in mind for sandboxes. You guys are really hitting the nail on the head. The only reason I don't play ArcheAge is the combat and grind. Also thank you for no fast travel. Huge wins for immersion. I look forward to the Kickstarter.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• PeskeyPixiePeskeyPixie Member Posts: 24

The KS is live right now, you should check it out if you like this game.

Here is a link to their Features Guide:    http://trialsofascension.com/guide/

And the KS page:    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension-a-truly-innovative-mmorpg

• ChochChoch Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by XilentStorm
    Now this... I'm excited for. The only question now is: will the combat be a generic WoW style type or something truly innovative and fun? Please no tab targeting with button mashing. Pleaseeeee no. And thank you so much for the skills and stats, those were ideas I had in mind for sandboxes. You guys are really hitting the nail on the head. The only reason I don't play ArcheAge is the combat and grind. Also thank you for no fast travel. Huge wins for immersion. I look forward to the Kickstarter.

The combat is going to blow you away. You can read about it here. http://trialsofascension.com/guide/combat#.UmiaphD2aDU

• ParinoidPandaParinoidPanda Member Posts: 21
    Appreciate the interview! FC, all the best for you kickstarter!

If my undead panda's don't get you...

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Just watched the kickstarter video. Looks like it has much potential. Dang this mmo is hardcore

Originally posted by superconducting

Just watched the kickstarter video. Looks like it has much potential. Dang this mmo is hardcore

It certainly is hardcore. Isn't it crazy, an mmo that is ACTUALLY challenging?

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Right, so the first thing I'll be crafting is a compass..?
  • liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by acidblood
    Right, so the first thing I'll be crafting is a compass..?

If you want to know where to go, then sure. But they don't tell you what to do, but you might want to find something to eat and drink so you don't starve :P!

• ChaaKChaaK Member Posts: 39
    I'm okay with not-so-beautiful games. But this... I mean it looks like shadowbane
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

backed so many games recently.. i think i will give this one a miss but will keep an eye on it thats for sure.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    They have some really cool ideas. This is great to see in the mmorpg genre and I hope they can succeed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    With those initials this title may be headed towards failure. DAOC vets know what I'm talking about.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ThoranTWThoranTW Member Posts: 4
    Combat will compromise of a left click to swing, right click to block and number keys to activate techniques such as disarm or grip.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Hey someone is doing Mortal Online again. Good luck. You'll need it.

• PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by ChaaK
    I'm okay with not-so-beautiful games. But this... I mean it looks like shadowbane

It's also pre-alpha, for the record.... but admittedly they're not making graphical fidelity a top priority.  Good compromise if you ask me, but clearly others may differ.

Originally posted by PsiKahn
    Originally posted by ChaaK

It's also pre-alpha, for the record.... but admittedly they're not making graphical fidelity a top priority.  Good compromise if you ask me, but clearly others may differ.

What good do great graphics do for you when the game sucks or you spend $60 to buy it and you're bored with it 6 months later? The meat and potatos of this game are the game features and if it means not having oh-so-epic graphics but getting a great game that works as a compromise? I think I'll take that. Won't you?

• liva98989liva98989 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    As far as I know WOW isn't the most beautiful game either, but that doesn't make it worse. The graphics shouldn't be the reason to buy the game, the gameplay and features should.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Sounds like an awesome game but I do have a concern. I'm no graphics snob but if they are making exploration such a huge feature in this game what with the no mini-maps or quick travel then the graphics should at least look somewhat appealing... I want to be impressed and feel like I'm being immersed in the world.

Smile

• Gassy_the_GoblinGassy_the_Goblin Member Posts: 16

Outstanding Forged Chaos :) !   Thank You!  And Thank You  Lisa Jonte, great interview :D

Good Luck to ToA,  *Goblin Horde Salute to you and all the fans/supporters/soon to be players* !!

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    This is the new new DFO?
  • PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Sounds like an awesome game but I do have a concern. I'm no graphics snob but if they are making exploration such a huge feature in this game what with the no mini-maps or quick travel then the graphics should at least look somewhat appealing... I want to be impressed and feel like I'm being immersed in the world.

I feel like immersion has less to do with graphics than one might think.  If that were strictly true, I never would have felt immersed in DAoC years ago.  We're used to a certain level of fidelity now, but I feel like if you're spending time with a game you're not going to be thinking about that too much after the first few hours.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    wasnt some trials of* game announced like 10 years ago?
    Originally posted by Teh_Axi
    This is the new new DFO?

I guess except ToA is incredibly more innovative. Just check out the ToA guide here http://trialsofascension.com/guide/ and you'll notice how nearly every feature is a new concept in mmo's and awesome as well!

Originally posted by kishe
    wasnt some trials of* game announced like 10 years ago?

Watch the kickstarter video - it's the first thing the co-founder explains.

You can watch the video here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgedchaos/trials-of-ascension-a-truly-innovative-mmorpg