Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Ready to Retire Inactive Names

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware has announced that it will be retiring character names from free-to-play and Preferred Status players whose accounts/characters have been little used for a prolonged period of time. This will not affect subscribers and is intended to 'free up' names for current players.

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that in November we will be initiating a “Character Name Renewal” program for all of our Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players. As a Subscriber, this offers you the benefit of more character names available in the pool! We are currently in the process of identifying accounts that have been inactive for prolonged periods. If those accounts do not login to each of the potentially impacted characters within the required timeframe the attached Character names will be released back into the general pool.

This Character Name Renewal will have no effect on your character names. As a Subscriber you will keep your names throughout this process and benefit from the increased options released back into the pool post program.

Thank you for your continued support of STAR WARS™: The Old Republic™.

May the Force™ be with You!

Star Wars: The Old Republic Team

Source: Star Wars: The Old Republic newsletter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668
     I guess the trend of name deleting has begun. Trion won't be the only one targeted in this then.  image
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

With the games going F2P, devs are realizing that people who download the game, create a character, and play for 5 seconds are clogging up the number of available names.

I don't really take issue with this.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Its a non-issue for those that are playing their characters.

In my opinion they shouldnt even bother to announce stuff like this. Its database clean up. And its not like they are deleting characters, its just the names.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Chalk one up for BW to get media hounds to drum up login activity! Funny thing is, I still have no urge to login to keep my name secure. I guess all those welcome back, come back, see what's new advertisements still ain't gettin the job done to get players back...as if F2P would be enough already....guess not.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I lost my names already! They merged servers and my lv 50 Chars lost their names because some lv 10 noob had the name on the new destined server, DESPITE the fact I had EXTRA preordered (the expensive edition for back then 210 Euro, given it was 150 Dollars), ESPECIALLY to have my names reserved.

Now 210 Euro, preorder, play from day one and investing TONS of money for almost a year subs and MUCH money into their items shop, I assume I spent 500-600 Euro on their game. If THAT is not enough to keep my fucking names, Bioware and SWTOR can rot in hell.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

With the games going F2P, devs are realizing that people who download the game, create a character, and play for 5 seconds are clogging up the number of available names.

This.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Elikal

I lost my names already! They merged servers and my lv 50 Chars lost their names because some lv 10 noob had the name on the new destined server, DESPITE the fact I had EXTRA preordered (the expensive edition for back then 210 Euro, given it was 150 Dollars), ESPECIALLY to have my names reserved.

Now 210 Euro, preorder, play from day one and investing TONS of money for almost a year subs and MUCH money into their items shop, I assume I spent 500-600 Euro on their game. If THAT is not enough to keep my fucking names, Bioware and SWTOR can rot in hell.

This has nothing to do With how much Money you spend on a game.

It´s sadly just the negative side effect of merging servers.

How do you know this Level 10 noob hasn´t invested the same amount of Money as you? Or even more than you?

Just because he/she has a Level 10 char With Your name, doesn´t mean he/she might have other higher Level characters too.

Just because he/she has a Level 10 character you have a magical foresight ability to see how much Money said person has spend on the game?

Come on now!  Unless you rather stay on an empty server With Your level50 characters collecting dust in an empty world?

I gladly sacrifice my character name to migrate for "free" from an empty server to a more populated server, if it means it will improve my game experience.

• LunarpacLunarpac Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Elikal

It seems the force wasn't quite with you. :/

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

As long as they are only deleting the character names, it's pretty insignificant. In modern MMO's, your character name is only important to you, there's no such thing as "being known on your server" anymore.

Besides, even if some other player did get to "know your name", it's only really significant for the 4 to 6 weeks that they're playing the game...

/whine

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    i like how they left out just what the "required timeframe" is. from now to Nov? within the last 6 months?
  • maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    Chalk one up for BW to get media hounds to drum up login activity! Funny thing is, I still have no urge to login to keep my name secure. I guess all those welcome back, come back, see what's new advertisements still ain't gettin the job done to get players back...as if F2P would be enough already....guess not.

Ah yes we have one of the BW/ea conspiracy theorist here.  Everything they do has some secret deceptive plan.  Are you over on Rift forums drumming up the same conspiracies over there too?  Do you play?  If not I understand you claims cause the servers are fine groups forming, guilds recruiting etc etc.  There is nothing wrong with Swtor or rift doing this.  I received an email from rift saying come back before you toon is deleted did I run to their post and start making wild accusations why they are doing it?  Nope sure didn't.  

Everytime Swtor releases some news these conspiracy theorist really get worked up.  It doesn't help that this site makes another post (already have one active post on the subject on here).  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I support this completely. I say that if a player did not play a character  for 3 months that character name should be deleted. what kind of brain dead person would create a character to hog a name when s/he will never be playing this game? delete away. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got that email yesterday, and it was like hey you log in.  Well I had 5 level 50 toons,  So even though I not played in months they are not going to touch those names, and quite frankly I had to rename all of mine the first server merge.  

So they got a lot of folks coming and going, and I guess naming is an issue with thousands of dead accounts using names.  

I guess the real question is are they deleting these toons, or just changing the name to abc123 or something like that.

I still had no urge to log in,  

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Hell I lost my name long ago to server merges, totally negated the benefit of pre-order and early access.

This current move is understandable, it goes to reason that if someone is not playing they don't really care.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Thanks a lot Rift for starting this new gimmick.

Too bad these MMO's can't get players back through well designed content, and have to resort to scum tactics like this.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I allways take breaks from a few months before returning and playing another character...

Just let them stay away from my names, or i will be anoyed...  When and how often should i log on to this to prevent my names from being removed...

A character name is the holiest part of a character

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

If i spent x dollars on microtransactions for a character, ie clothing and cosmetic items. then my my name is then removed because of inactivity that kinda voids my purchase in the first place to make a unique character..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Nitth

If i spent x dollars on microtransactions for a character, ie clothing and cosmetic items. then my my name is then removed because of inactivity that kinda voids my purchase in the first place to make a unique character..

True... very true... I think they would loose that in any court

But wouldnt that be the same for my characters that have very unique drops?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

I think that after half year of inactivity they should completely delete the account. Even if you spent any money on it. If you will try to complain, they should have right to come to your home and slap your face with hide gloves.

If they would do, I believe that 80% of people would defend them, because the players became just fucking sheep. 

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Cool I can get my Smuggle the name he has always wanted Scortymcballslicker

No really this is a good thing, its hard as hell to think up toon names and will be better if the one you want isnt already taken by and inactive.

• maxima29maxima29 Member Posts: 203

You spent x dollars for the character SLOT not the character or the license to his name.  As for clothing and cosmetic items they should be in your legacy collection.  
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Tyserie

I think that after half year of inactivity they should completely delete the account. Even if you spent any money on it. If you will try to complain, they should have right to come to your home and slap your face with hide gloves.

If they would do, I believe that 80% of people would defend them, because the players became just fucking sheep. 

Good luck ever getting those customers to ever come back to the game.  MMOs depend on return gamers more than new gamers at the later stages of their cycle.  Depending on how severe they get with this, they could be setting up their own demise as they piss off any potential returning customers.

• KossuthKossuth Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by maxima29

You spent x dollars for the character SLOT not the character or the license to his name.  As for clothing and cosmetic items they should be in your legacy collection.  

I wasn't going to post on this thread but that actually makes no sense at all. if you buy items and upgrades to a character then the slot its in is irrelevant. Think before you type please. :)

Bjoern / Sir Prime

Habitual Euthanasia
    Pandemic Legion

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Asamof

Thanks a lot Rift for starting this new gimmick.

Too bad these MMO's can't get players back through well designed content, and have to resort to scum tactics like this.

Rift didn't start this so called gimmick.

Scum tactics , so if you haven't played on a character for a long while and they are below level 30 your name will be changed , so if you haven't bothered logging in in months you consider this scum tactics ? Anyway I'm glad I'm sick of seeing player names such as xXzzucckkxX etc , they can at least have a chance of changing to a better name. In fact it might bring some people back , not because they want to keep their names but because they want their old names back from the 2 huge server merges last year.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]