Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand. Why do you buy gold?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I've never played a good game then, MMO or spg.  There is always something in them I get bored with and want to skip so I can continue to do the things I do enjoy.  That must be why I've never actually finished a video game in my life.  They must all be bad.

I'm resigned to the fact that a game will never be created just for me, nuts.  I will continue to play a game if I enjoy the majority of it... and continue to skip the parts that bore me.

Yeh, and by that measure, EQ was a horrible game.

I wanted to skip 99% of the game including down-time, slow travel, camping in a queue, and death penalty.

What you have left would probably have been a decent hack-n-slash MMO. 

yeh .. that would be nice.

• MosenwrathMosenwrath Member Posts: 2

Buy gold & lose more than RL cash!

I personally don't buy currency nor do I recommend anyone to buy from goldfarmers or any sites selling gold for whatever mmo you currently play. They will rob you of your account or worse more real life $$. Besides look at any good game out there plagued with gold spammers wasting chat space with constant bs to buy their cr@p. Bottom line just add them to your in game ignore list and work for whatever money you need in the long run you'll be glad you did.

PT Barnum once said "There's a sucker born every minute" .. don't be one of them =)

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by qombi
    Originally posted by Krimzin   Originally posted by Aori Originally posted by Krimzin I can only speak from my own opinion. People who buy gold are typically people who have disposable income. Someone who has disposable income typically has a good job so it limits the time they can play. They still want to keep up but don't have the time to farm gold and raid. So they buy gold to save time. I get it and could care less if they do. They work for their money and should be able to spend it how they like. I would rather someone work and buy gold then to be unemployed and have massive amounts of gold. Gold Buyer > Deadbeat any day of the week. Again.. Just my opinion.
    Yes it is your opinion and it isn't correct. I've had contact with many people who squandered their real cash for money. Some failed to pay rent, some had to use savings, others had to "pawn" their account. I've even known people who were suits that got landed in to trouble from dumping 10s of thousands of dollars in virtual goods.   Many people don't have the money to spend on it but like what it does for them.
      First off, How can my opinion be incorrect? Its my opinion. Get over yourself. As to my point. It doesn't matter if someone has a good job or not, poor judgment is poor judgment. If you make 10k a month and spend 9k on stupid shit, then your a fool. If you spend $20 here and there to buy gold, who cares. I spend $20 at lunch most days because I refuse to eat the garbage at most fast food places. Does that mean I have poor judgment.. no, it means that I watch what I eat and don't mind paying for it. What you are posting is a matter of semantics. You think your opinion is the only one that's right and everyone else is wrong.
    I don't think people despise you for your money. Good for you. They probably despise your self entitled attitude, bragging, and all around conceded attitude. Truth is there are plenty people out there probably smarter than you and not as smart as you. Having money usually doesn't mean you are smart, it means you kiss butt well. Money doesn't make you are likable person. But that is okay, I think you like yourself enough to make up for it.

Wow, you have some issues.
    I was simply trying to give an example that money is different for every person. To some, $20 may be several hours of work and thus means more. While others look at $20 as being lunch, as in my example.

As for your assumptions and attitude about having money is laughable. Kissing butt, as you so eloquently put it doesn't get you a solid education. Serving my country and the GI Bill did. Having a solid education doesn't always mean a good job. Ive worked my tail off for everything that I have and yes, I am proud of it. Maybe one day you will understand. If not, that's your problem.

Back to the original statement. If someone buys gold.. WTFCares. It doesn't hurt you, well it may hurt your ePeen if they have more gold than you, but get over it.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by Krimzin  

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Krimzin I can only speak from my own opinion. People who buy gold are typically people who have disposable income. Someone who has disposable income typically has a good job so it limits the time they can play. They still want to keep up but don't have the time to farm gold and raid. So they buy gold to save time. I get it and could care less if they do. They work for their money and should be able to spend it how they like. I would rather someone work and buy gold then to be unemployed and have massive amounts of gold. Gold Buyer > Deadbeat any day of the week. Again.. Just my opinion.
    Yes it is your opinion and it isn't correct. I've had contact with many people who squandered their real cash for money. Some failed to pay rent, some had to use savings, others had to "pawn" their account. I've even known people who were suits that got landed in to trouble from dumping 10s of thousands of dollars in virtual goods.   Many people don't have the money to spend on it but like what it does for them.
      First off, How can my opinion be incorrect? Its my opinion. Get over yourself. As to my point. It doesn't matter if someone has a good job or not, poor judgment is poor judgment. If you make 10k a month and spend 9k on stupid shit, then your a fool. If you spend $20 here and there to buy gold, who cares. I spend $20 at lunch most days because I refuse to eat the garbage at most fast food places. Does that mean I have poor judgment.. no, it means that I watch what I eat and don't mind paying for it. What you are posting is a matter of semantics. You think your opinion is the only one that's right and everyone else is wrong.
    I don't think people despise you for your money. Good for you. They probably despise your self entitled attitude, bragging, and all around conceded attitude. Truth is there are plenty people out there probably smarter than you and not as smart as you. Having money usually doesn't mean you are smart, it means you kiss butt well. Money doesn't make you are likable person. But that is okay, I think you like yourself enough to make up for it.

Wow, you have some issues.
    I was simply trying to give an example that money is different for every person. To some, $20 may be several hours of work and thus means more. While others look at $20 as being lunch, as in my example.

As for your assumptions and attitude about having money is laughable. Kissing butt, as you so eloquently put it doesn't get you a solid education. Serving my country and the GI Bill did. Having a solid education doesn't always mean a good job. Ive worked my tail off for everything that I have and yes, I am proud of it. Maybe one day you will understand. If not, that's your problem.

Back to the original statement. If someone buys gold.. WTFCares. It doesn't hurt you, well it may hurt your ePeen if they have more gold than you, but get over it.

epeen? says the guy who buys gold so he can compete with those who can get the gold without cheating.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

I've purchased currencies in pretty much every MMO I've played, and I'm really not ashamed to admit it.

The first time in I purchased currency for a game was back in the days of vanilla World of Warcraft. I LOVED PvP. I WANTED to PvP. I didn't want to raid, or grind, or farm, or craft, or do instances. I ENJOYED battlegrounds and dueling, but nothing else. Sadly when I hit 60, I was in greens/poor blues, so I tended to bounce off most of the decent PvPers in BGs and duels quite convincingly. Thing was... I knew I was capable of beating most of those players in a "fair" (ish) fight (see: in equivalent gear), but I really wasn't interested in having to do all of the time consuming, arduous, boring content that I didn't enjoy to get to that level...

A few guilds on my server offered "paid for epics". Pay gold, get loot. So I decided to buy gold. I bought some gold, paid for some best in slot items, and filled up my other slots with better blues and BoE epics from the AH as well as some PvP items I'd got from my many hours PvPing.

After that, dueling was even more fun. The players that outgeared me previously, and dueled me merely to show off how much of a gear advantage they had over me, started to duel me because I actually presented a challenge. They still had better gear than me, but I'd closed the gap enough that my skills as a player gave me a meaningful advantage in most fights, so much so that there were only 3 or 4 players on the server that beat me (and at this point they were beating me not because they had a gear advantage, but because they were actually more skilled than I was). And the game became even more fun for me at this point: every night when I logged on I would be greeted with 5 or 6 instant whispers asking me to join groups for WSG, and I was also a mainstay on my servers "rank 14 premade" even though I wasn't even vaguely close to being rank 14.

So yeah, it made the game more fun for me. Didn't diminish the accomplishment of other people in any way either; I have the utmost respect for anyone who puts the time and effort in if that's what they want to do. But my priority is my own enjoyment, and buying gold - specifically in the context outlined above - led to my own enjoyment being increased.

And no one died because of it.

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

I bought once, way back in original EQ. I'd wanted to level up a fairly expensive skill (Enchanting), and I knew it would take forever. Between full time work and part time school, I only played Friday nights & weekends. I bought gold, leveled up the skill, and sold +resist rings on Ebay to cover the cost. Overall, this was more of a pain than it was worth.

Years later, a RL friend & guildmate bought gold in WoW. His account was hacked, perhaps a week later (what a coincidence), and he lost everything. Blizzard restored his characters to a point in time, before the gold purchase, so his net experience was that he got ripped.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by iJustWant

Years later, a RL friend & guildmate bought gold in WoW. His account was hacked, perhaps a week later (what a coincidence), and he lost everything. Blizzard restored his characters to a point in time, before the gold purchase, so his net experience was that he got ripped.

Buying gold from 3rd party is always risky. If you want to have the option of buying your way past boring grind, go to games with a cash shop, or a player-to-player auction house. Those are much safer.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by Silverchild Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)
     My hobby is watching movies. I dont have much time, though, so I pay my little brother to watch the first hour of movies, then I watch the endings. Bad movie watcher?
    Not a bad movie watcher but definitely someone who isn't too tech savvy, because everyone else has been just using the free Fast Forward button for decades now. A better use of your money would be to pay your brother to teach you how to use the remote. 
    You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.   Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it... And yet in video game land, its par for the course.
    "avoiding content" and "convenience" are the two arguments you guys like rally against. It's amusing. I say it's amusing because you either refuse to understand or categorically reject any reason other than those as those allow you the moral high ground. You waggle your fingers at those reasons as if they were the only reason anyone spends money in an MMO, despite many saying otherwise. 

Why is that? 

But to get back on point.... what you're saying is that his problem isn't that he's a bad movie watcher, he just sucks at choosing movies.

Wait, who are you categorizing here? I was just commenting on a bad analogy.
  • SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

I've purchased currencies in pretty much every MMO I've played, and I'm really not ashamed to admit it.

The first time in I purchased currency for a game was back in the days of vanilla World of Warcraft. I LOVED PvP. I WANTED to PvP. I didn't want to raid, or grind, or farm, or craft, or do instances. I ENJOYED battlegrounds and dueling, but nothing else. Sadly when I hit 60, I was in greens/poor blues, so I tended to bounce off most of the decent PvPers in BGs and duels quite convincingly. Thing was... I knew I was capable of beating most of those players in a "fair" (ish) fight (see: in equivalent gear), but I really wasn't interested in having to do all of the time consuming, arduous, boring content that I didn't enjoy to get to that level...

A few guilds on my server offered "paid for epics". Pay gold, get loot. So I decided to buy gold. I bought some gold, paid for some best in slot items, and filled up my other slots with better blues and BoE epics from the AH as well as some PvP items I'd got from my many hours PvPing.

After that, dueling was even more fun. The players that outgeared me previously, and dueled me merely to show off how much of a gear advantage they had over me, started to duel me because I actually presented a challenge. They still had better gear than me, but I'd closed the gap enough that my skills as a player gave me a meaningful advantage in most fights, so much so that there were only 3 or 4 players on the server that beat me (and at this point they were beating me not because they had a gear advantage, but because they were actually more skilled than I was). And the game became even more fun for me at this point: every night when I logged on I would be greeted with 5 or 6 instant whispers asking me to join groups for WSG, and I was also a mainstay on my servers "rank 14 premade" even though I wasn't even vaguely close to being rank 14.

So yeah, it made the game more fun for me. Didn't diminish the accomplishment of other people in any way either; I have the utmost respect for anyone who puts the time and effort in if that's what they want to do. But my priority is my own enjoyment, and buying gold - specifically in the context outlined above - led to my own enjoyment being increased.

And no one died because of it.

I kinda understand your point, but if you like "fair" pvp, why dont you play a game that actually support that game style? FPS, MOBA, or MMOs designed for it? I know it wasnt arround in that time, but GW2 comes to mind.

I have to admit I was in the same boat as you. I played WoW, I PVPed, and when my own player skills didnt work anymore and I had to "grind" to gear up, I simply left and looked for a game that put more emphasis on player skills. Buying gold is just a temporary "fix" IMO. What happen when they release more gear? Buy more gold?

I totally despise 3rd party RMT, they ruin games, they will never get any money out of me.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Silverchild

Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)
     My hobby is watching movies. I dont have much time, though, so I pay my little brother to watch the first hour of movies, then I watch the endings. Bad movie watcher?
    Not a bad movie watcher but definitely someone who isn't too tech savvy, because everyone else has been just using the free Fast Forward button for decades now. A better use of your money would be to pay your brother to teach you how to use the remote. 
    You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.

Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it...

And yet in video game land, its par for the course.

Perfect post right here. The people that are willing to pay to skip these bad parts are who continue to support games made like this. My preference is to let bad games die as I would with bad movies.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I never have bought gold but I have sold it as well as leveling up accounts and selling those too, years ago before it was popular to do so.

People do it because they don't want to grind for the gold, and/or they only play a few hours here and there and don't have time to gold grind. Casual players will always buy micros and gold.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

You don't skip through good movies. Same with games I guess. Bad ones let you pay to avoid the parts that suck. Worse ones intentionally put in bad parts in order to entice you to pay to skip them.

Could you imagine if movies were like that? Directors putting in hours of pointless dialogue with the option to pay to skip past it...

You must be old.  Movies are totally like that nowadays.

They have been for a while.  I mean, not the directors putting things in, but people pay for the option to skip the commercials in between.  Not just that, but even back in the day, VCRs have had the ability to go fast forward, skip past the boring parts.  I've heard tell that many people watch porn that way.  (Not that I would know personally, of course)

Also, that's a horrible comparison because if directors had to make movies that lasted 2000+ hours (Comparable to the amount of time a good MMORPG can last you), you better believe those movies would be full of really crappy boring parts.

Not to mention that MMOs, in general, are in part simply rewarding you for patience and dedication.  Not skill, or for enjoying dramatic story or something.

An MMORPG generally has less story than a single player RPG, yet stretches it out over a drastically longer period of time, with amounts of grinding and loot gathering that puts even old fashioned RPGs like Dragon Quest to shame. :)

So people paying to skip parts of an MMO aren't, in general, missing a whole lot, sad to say.

But MMOs have found out there are people who want to experience the story (In your average MMO, the whole story would handily fit in a 30 minute TV episode, and that's including the commercial breaks), and some of the challenge (High level dungeons and raids or whatever) and the ability to hang out with their high level friends who have more spare time...

... without paying the time/repetition tax.

If you can beat a dungeon once... and then twice.... beating it 50 times to get a certain item isn't showing you've suddenly developed some drastic new skill, other than an ability to tolerate repeating yourself. :)

I like doing it only because of the social aspects. Take out the social aspect and almost any MMO becomes pretty bad.  But what if you want to socialize with your friends online, but have less time because you work a lot of overtime at work?  Turning their RL money into game money for the chance to be with their friends in a game is, for some people, a fair trade, and the only one they can afford to make (Time is pretty precious).

So I don't really judge those people negatively... or the games themselves, since being ridiculously long experiences, MMORPGs are, by nature, filled with lots of padding.  They can't help it.  Even the most sandboxy of sandboxes requires a certain amount of repetition.  RPGs themselves do the same thing, just less so (Fighting the 80th goblin is not any more of a challenge than say, the 10th one, generally).  Most video games have a certain amount of padding.

edit:  Note - movies are drastically edited down BEFORE you watch them.  Movies are built to be streamlined, fast, moment to moment, moving along at a constant clip with a specific conclusion within a span of a few hours at most.  An MMORPG cannot be designed that way.  Well, not one that most people here would enjoy. :P

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Originally posted by jdnewell You hold up the term " Gamer" like its a badge of honor that comes with a code of conduct. For most people its a form of entertainment they do in free time, not the Marines. Its just not that serious. And I am not sure what would even classify someone as a " bad gamer". It is entertainment, saying bad gamer is like calling someone a Bad Movie watcher. You are free to have your opinion, and others are free to ignore it. You just stay busy being a true hardcore gamer, that way you can make yourself feel good while you look down on the rest of us =)

Perfect post right here. The people that are willing to pay to skip these bad parts are who continue to support games made like this. My preference is to let bad games die as I would with bad movies.

Naw. IMO that is not really reasonable.

The only way a game would not have any parts I feel are bad or dull was if the game was completely tailored for me.  Since they are not it stands to reason that there is some part of the game I won't like.

I'll skip that part and continue with the parts I do like.

and I do definately skip parts of movies I'm bored with.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750

I used to think that buying in game items was horrible until Diablo 3 and UO item sites started popping up.

I got back into UO for a short time and found there was such an intricate level of perfectly weighted items for styles I was going for that I just ended up buying several and they were delivered to me in game.

It also came down to the fact I had friends who were already geared waiting on me to get geared up as well. Also there were other games either already out or coming out soon that I knew I would be investing time in, and I knew there would be no way to reach the relative gameplay I was looking to get into at that pace within the game's regulated advancement structure.

I have also been involved in games where about 75% of those around me had already dumped money into the item shops and gold to get gear and mounts etc. This meant that I had to also do this or I wouldn't be able to compete in PvP, and wouldn't be contributing as much in groups...so would have trouble getting groups due to being underpowered compared to shoppers.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Because they can, at their own risk. 

The banhammers do sometimes get the guilty party(ies) involved and sometimes not. The policing side is alot of work for the devs and they do what they can, if they so want the 3rd parties out.

The arguments of 'skipping past boring parts of the game' or 'It's morally wrong' are simply subjective and irrelevant as their one's personal choice and perspective on how one wishes to behave. 

If there's a way around something, you bet people will do it, and get away with it. Tax loop holes, wholesale cost instead or retail, lying/cheating to get better grades/jobs/commodities. 

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

There are many "guides" on how to make "easy gold" in almost any MMO, but many people just do not have the ability to follow them.

Nice use of words, for someone trying to get a jab at those you view as inferior to yourself simply because they aren't dull enough to invest extensive amounts of energy in a game made for the sole purpose of entertainment.

They're just so incompetent! How DARE they try to avoid the grind so they can have FUN. Those losers lack the ability to follow simple guides that are EZ MODE amiright?

It's quite simple: Some people are glad to spend money to have fun.

It's the same premise of spending currency on any entertainment product.

You might as well ask, "Help me understand. Why do you buy video games?" or "Why do you buy forms of entertainment?"

Better yet, why not ask the ultimate question?

"Why do you use currency to have fun, when you can sacrifice valuable time, grinding your life away in boredom?" or in internet-speak "Y U NO LOSER?"

It just doesn't make sense to ME. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why people don't understand such a simple concept, and why there is so much hatred for gold buyers. I jest, as I know why there is hatred: people tend to be a bit mindless (see: stupid) when it comes to religiously persecuting people different from themselves. Different in the way, that they do not enjoy spending their time in boredom, and instead feel a few dollars is worth enhancing their fun. The OP may be nice about it, but a lot of people treat others who play games their own way, different simply because they aren't playing it THEIR WAY. As if the only way to play a game is YOUR WAY.

In a game where the majority of players are max level, I buy gold to actually play the game. It's actually a way for me to PLAY, as opposed to NOT play. If you think that you don't need gold to PvP in MMORPG's where gear matters, you are a bit lacking in understanding of how PvP in these games work. If you think that gold doesn't help you to get to a higher level so you can actually play the game where most people are at, think again. Unless you think it's awesome to play Dark Age of Camelot from levels 1 to 50 alone the entire time, then grind your artifacts and master levels alone, to eventually be able to suck at PvP (RvR). Or if you think that buying gold doesn't help you get into PvP on EQ2's PvP server, you don't know much about the game.

If you want to craft? Well too bad, new player! Because of a silly level system where max level harvests 1000x the amount of gold as a new player...PER QUEST, all crafting materials on the auction house are infinitely expensive. That level 10 sword on the auction house? 100 gold. Best to save up new player, as you only have 10 silver after 10 levels worth of questing!

That's right, max level gold farming by casual legal players en mass, ruin the economy so badly that no new player will ever be able to compete until they're also a gold farmer! Not a gold seller, not a gold farmer who intends to sell gold. No, just a casual max level player whose quests turn in for 100 gold, while a level 1's quests turn in for 2 copper.

Because everyone who loves crafting, OBVIOUSLY loves spending hours harvesting. AMIRIGHT?

Because everyone wants to be "hardcore" and avoid "EZ-MODE" and sees value in a self-proclaimed title that shows how little one values their time on earth. AMIRIGHT?

Gold buyers r dumb bc they dont play the game the way I WANT DEMAND THEM TO PLAY! They're horrible people IRL, just like peopel who cheat in SINGLE PLAYER GAMES!!!!!!!111111

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Great post, Kwaynos99. It doesn't fit their rhetoric, though. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by bcbully
    It just doesn't make sense to me. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why. Thanks in advance. 

I refuse to believe that you have no capacity to try to take the perspective of someone who buys gold. If you're so curious, why not try buying gold yourself, and find out what ways it makes the game more fun? Ignore the ways it makes the game worse, ignore the ways it makes it less fun. Play make-believe where you are a gold buyer who loves buying gold, and focus exclusively on the good aspects of it when you do it. You have the capacity to understand, if you leave your bias at the door and open your eyes to alternative gameplay styles.

If you respond with, "It doesn't enhance MY game in any way." You're a liar. Even if you believe gold buying is pure evil and insanely destructive, if you are not in total denial you WILL be able to glean the larger benefits of whatever it is you're failing to understand. You may still disagree, you may still mark gold buyers as villains afterwards. But this is how you understand gold buyers, when you don't know why they do something. Put yourself in their shoes, with an open mind.

Gold Buying doesn't make you a criminal or an immoral person. It's just a video game. Try it out sometime, especially if you play WoW.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    No actually 3rd party gold buying does make you a criminal.. Go play a fun game instead of all that boring crap you where talking about spending gold on. Idk. Not enough time to play? Yet you buy gold to play? If it makes sense to you, I guess.

How long have you been playing WoW? What is the to spend gold on besides pots? You don't raid? That's not fun? You still want good gear so bad you buy gold though? Gems? You buy gold for top tier gems?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Kwaynos99

It just doesn't make sense to ME. I don't have a profound paragraph to write, I just want to know why people don't understand such a simple concept, and why there is so much hatred for gold buyers. I jest, as I know why there is hatred: people tend to be a bit mindless (see: stupid) when it comes to religiously persecuting people different from themselves. Different in the way, that they do not enjoy spending their time in boredom, and instead feel a few dollars is worth enhancing their fun. The OP may be nice about it, but a lot of people treat others who play games their own way, different simply because they aren't playing it THEIR WAY. As if the only way to play a game is YOUR WAY.

It isnt about that. I dont care if someone bought gold in a F2P game with a cash shop. If that is even an option, then its probably not a game I want to play, anyway.

What bothers me is people who buy gold from 3rd party RMT. They encourage the incessant spamming. The phising emails, hacking accounts. The exploits, the bots, etc. People buying from them destroy the in-game economy. Its pretty selfish, dont you think?

Now, tell me, who is forcing "their way" onto other players?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Kwaynos99

It isnt about that. I dont care if someone bought gold in a F2P game with a cash shop. If that is even an option, then its probably not a game I want to play, anyway.

What bothers me is people who buy gold from 3rd party RMT. They encourage the incessant spamming. The phising emails, hacking accounts. The exploits, the bots, etc. People buying from them destroy the in-game economy. Its pretty selfish, dont you think?

Now, tell me, who is forcing "their way" onto other players?

+1

People always seem to think as long as it's not them doing the stealing, buying the gold is OK. There would be no supply, no hacking accounts, no spamming chat with websites...all of that would go away if people didn't buy gold from them.

It's not the developers fault for failing to get rid of all these bad elements. It's your fault for bringing them into the game with you when you buy gold.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    The real answer to OP is that Humans are lazy, if opening their wallets to gain what they want rather than play a game for x number of hours then they will do so, these same people will also buy a book or spend money in phone calls as they did back in the day to cheat their way through games.  These same players  would never play an open world PvP game as the real players would eat them alive.  Bottom line is they Suck.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    More likely they are just looking for entertainment and buying gold makes the game more entertaining.  This is not a difficult concept.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by bcbully
    No actually 3rd party gold buying does make you a criminal.. Go play a fun game instead of all that boring crap you where talking about spending gold on. Idk. Not enough time to play? Yet you buy gold to play? If it makes sense to you, I guess.

How long have you been playing WoW? What is the to spend gold on besides pots? You don't raid? That's not fun? You still want good gear so bad you buy gold though? Gems? You buy gold for top tier gems?

So instead of trying to communicate or understand people, you incorrectly say they are criminals?

Buying Gold is not breaking United States Law. In fact, it doesn't break the Law in ANY world, any community, any nation.

It is so great to see that this thread is nothing more than the OP pretending to ask a question, under the guise of nothing more than baiting for people to say they buy gold, so he can tell them how "criminal" they are.

If you were truly serious about the question or understanding these people, you would not have responded this way. It is quite clear you have NO INTENTION on understanding gold buyers.

You would really be doing yourself a favor by both understanding that buying gold is not illegal by any law, anywhere on the planet Earth, and by ACTUALLY trying to understand gold buyers.

Do as I suggested. Go buy gold, and pretend you love buying gold. Put yourself into the gold buyer's perspective, and you will have your answer. Stay blind and accuse them of being criminals, and you will remain close minded and this thread nothing more than a bait by a troll.

Should I Report this thread, as the OP has no intentions on understanding? This is nothing more than a bait. However, I don't want it locked... I like the conversations with people who legitimately want to know and aren't lying about it like the OP.