Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't find any info...

TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
So does anyone know if ESO hit detection is client side or server side?   I ask this, because if they go with a client side hit detection system I fear that aimbots will be a plague in this game.   

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat.

All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them.

There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/12/targeting-in-eso/comment-page-5/

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by skeaser

What we can tell you right now is that the targeting system is very similar to what you experienced when you visited us for the preview event. Like in Skyrim, your attacks go where your reticle is aimed. So, while we don’t have traditional tab-targeting, we do have a system where if enemies are close together, you can tab to select the one you wish to hit. Think of this more as an aid to aiming, and this can be especially effective for ranged combat.

All targeting is ultimately based on where your reticle is aimed–when you have your reticle aimed at a monster (or group of monsters) you can lock onto a target and even cycle through a group to select the one you want to attack. In the case of monsters that are closely stacked on each other, the one you have ‘selected’ is the one your attacks will hit. If your reticle is clearly on one target but your target-aid is on another target, you will still hit the target your reticle is on. Also, you must be facing your target to hit them.

There’s a bit more to the targeting and aiming system than that (and we’ll go into more detail in the Ask Us Anything and upcoming combat-centric community content), but hopefully that gives you a general idea. As with anything in development, just keep in mind that this is subject to change.

So in reality it is tab-targeting disguised as FPS targeting.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Teala

Not really no, because you have to aim at them in order to hit them regardless of whether you have them tab targeted or not

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by deakon

Not really no, because you have to aim at them in order to hit them regardless of whether you have them tab targeted or not

pretty much this. You aim at them and they are outlined in a horrid (my opinion) red light and then you can hit them. I think you can turn this off however.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

But to answer the other question.

It looks like aim-bots and similar things will work just fine.

Hope they invest in a good anti-hack software.

This have been a good conversation

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

To my understanding, and I've coded similar, it's not tab-targeting but sticky targeting based on reticle position (on the client side) when the projectile is fired.

My guess would be that hit detection is:

Client character is attacker

Client reticle position determines defender (if any, if not shot is a miss)

On attack start client sends attack info to server

Defender's client has time to send projectile avoidance (block, dodge)

Server determines if defender has avoided in time

Server determines hit (yes/no) and damage (value)

Server updates attacker and defender locally and remotely

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I see it more as aim-assist.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

To my understanding, and I've coded similar, it's not tab-targeting but sticky targeting based on reticle position (on the client side) when the projectile is fired.

My guess would be that hit detection is:

Client character is attacker

Client reticle position determines defender (if any, if not shot is a miss)

On attack start client sends attack info to server

Defender's client has time to send projectile avoidance (block, dodge)

Server determines if defender has avoided in time

Server determines hit (yes/no) and damage (value)

Server updates attacker and defender locally and remotely

Thats a guess...

If they do some of the server tasks client based like in older FPS games, then its just a matter of time before the cheets role out.   Its very important to know for sure, but i dont think Zennimax is willing to give any information about this.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)