Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pure mages? Armor pieces?

So we know that you can cast spells/activate skills with like a 2h sword or a bow, but since there's that freedom, are there really any advantages or incentives to playing a pure mage? Why shouldn't the pure mages pick up like a bound weapon or maybe a 2h sword to maximize damage?

Also, is armor "dumbed down" like it was in Skyrim, or is it going to be crazy-specific like in Morrowind,etc; How many pieces of armor per set?

These are just a couple of things I've scoured the internet for the last couple of days and have come up blank. If anyone has any sort of answers, please feel free to reply.

Comments

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Vileo

So we know that you can cast spells/activate skills with like a 2h sword or a bow, but since there's that freedom, are there really any advantages or incentives to playing a pure mage? Why shouldn't the pure mages pick up like a bound weapon or maybe a 2h sword to maximize damage?

Also, is armor "dumbed down" like it was in Skyrim, or is it going to be crazy-specific like in Morrowind,etc; How many pieces of armor per set?

These are just a couple of things I've scoured the internet for the last couple of days and have come up blank. If anyone has any sort of answers, please feel free to reply.

The advantage to being a mage with a staff would be the actives and passives that get enabled with a staff equipped

• [Passive] Tri-Focus – Destruction Staff heavy attacks cause the following effects: Frost snares the target, Shock deals some splash damage to 2 nearby foes, Fire reduces enemy spell resistance.
    • [Passive] Penetrating Magic – Your destruction spells bypass some of the targets spell resistance.
    • [Passive] Elemental Force – Increased chance to apply fire, shock, or cold status effects when you have a destruction staff equipped.
    • [Passive] Evocation – Your heavy attacks charge faster when you have a destruction staff equiped.
    • [Passive] Destruction Expert – Restore some Magicka when killing an enemy with a destruction staff equipped.

Those passives require a staff in order to be affective.

Last I heard it was 7 armour slots (head, chest, shoulders, legs, feet, hands and belt) and then slots for things like rings (2 I think), trinket and necklace

Hope that helps :)
  • VileoVileo Member Posts: 2

Thanks, Deakon! That pretty much satisfies my questions. I'm also pleased to have a few extra equip slots. The bare basics of Skyrim wore out on me after a while.

Also, a quick additional question: Is it possible to equip a shield and a staff (in place of a sword) at the same time? One of my favorite play-styles in skyrim was to run around with some robes and heavy armor and a shield so I can bash and throw fireballs at the same time.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Vileo

Thanks, Deakon! That pretty much satisfies my questions. I'm also pleased to have a few extra equip slots. The bare basics of Skyrim wore out on me after a while.

Also, a quick additional question: Is it possible to equip a shield and a staff (in place of a sword) at the same time? One of my favorite play-styles in skyrim was to run around with some robes and heavy armor and a shield so I can bash and throw fireballs at the same time.

No, a staff is considered 2 handed, however you have got a weapon swap, so you could start off with your staff throwing fireballs and whatnot and when they get close swap to your 1h+shield and equip some spells from your class/race/mages guild/soul magic etc skill lines etc on your second hotbar in order to keep that mage feel while getting the added protection of the shield.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Everything makes sense in this game

Actually its quite simple, wear light armor and you do more damage.... wear heavy armor and you have more defense

Same goes for weapons, use a casting staff and your casting abbilties are enhanced, use a 2 handed weapon and your mellee abiilities are enhanced..

The way they set up this game seems to give more freedom when in the end being more ballanced....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)