Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your top 10 mmo forum "terms " you hate the most

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DeathWolf2u

I listed terms that are not related to just in games like blog and virul which were started and spread by the news media. I'm trying to think of the other aggravating terms that circulate that are not just in games and the gaming community.

In fact believe it or not the more annoying terms are used by kids on social media sites not games. It seems every word or sentence has been abbreviated into non meaning bullcrap by kids on media sites. Imagine how the education systems can't figure out why kids are dumb nowadays and can't speak or write proper English.

Not trying to be a spelling nazi or anything just stating a fact that this is plaguing the U.S.  Then throw in all the stupid ghetto slang on top of the already ridiculous made-up-on-a-whim abbreviations and terms and you have the future society made up of all FTARDs. This is the future of America get ready for the stone age again, it's coming.

I am hoping that it was for humor's sake that you ended your rant about people using abbreviated jargon by calling them "FTARDS."

If so, well played. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by DamonVile

#4 p2w pay to win. At one time this meant a game was selling a gear/stat advantage from the cash shop that couldn't be obtained in a reasonable manner in game. Better gear, more health, better stats ect. Now it pretty much means WHAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING !!! ???

The original definition needed to die.  The problem is people would try to divide monitization models into bad ones and acceptable ones ... but then ignore any objectives other than their own.  If I'm a collector, my objective is not to min-max my dps, it's to get the number of uncollected items down towards zero.  Putting a collectable in the cash shop is, to a collector, the exact same thing as putting a +1 enchantment to swords that has no analog in-game.

It's not "I have to pay for something !!! ???", it's "my winning conditions are different than yours, stop saying it's ok to make the game p2w for me but not for you".

The problem is that there is no generally accepted definition. Like "gank" and many other negative terms gamers use, it's intentionally ambiguous it allows one to cast a greater net of support for their cause. Useless terms for actual discussion.

Its more that the original definition is fine...

Can you link me to the original definition of P2W? I'm not saying I don't believe you; I honestly didn't know an official one existed and would like to know what that definition is. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

I listed terms that are not related to just in games like blog and virul which were started and spread by the news media. I'm trying to think of the other aggravating terms that circulate that are not just in games and the gaming community.

In fact believe it or not the more annoying terms are used by kids on social media sites not games. It seems every word or sentence has been abbreviated into non meaning bullcrap by kids on media sites. Imagine how the education systems can't figure out why kids are dumb nowadays and can't speak or write proper English.

Not trying to be a spelling nazi or anything just stating a fact that this is plaguing the U.S.  Then throw in all the stupid ghetto slang on top of the already ridiculous made-up-on-a-whim abbreviations and terms and you have the future society made up of all FTARDs. This is the future of America get ready for the stone age again, it's coming.

I am hoping that it was for humor's sake that you ended your rant about people using abbreviated jargon by calling them "FTARDS."

If so, well played. 

HAHA, well done you saw through my sarcasm. At least I think you did.

• Cliff1963Cliff1963 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Lot of my annoyances are already mentioned here before (carebear, fanboy, rouge, grow a thicker skin if you can't handle it, etc.) and remarks using the F-word like WTF or the now very fashionable and utterly annoying "dafuq".
    Originally posted by Cliff1963
    Lot of my annoyances are already mentioned here before (carebear, fanboy, rouge, grow a thicker skin if you can't handle it, etc.) and remarks using the F-word like WTF or the now very fashionable and utterly annoying "dafuq".

dafuq??? I never heard that one before thank goodness. That takes it to a whole new level of stupidity.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Why do people feel that simply because "respect is earned", that makes it ok to be disrespectful?
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

You can tell I'm bored today by writing too many replies so I'm going off topic to notify anyone who doesn't know. A new game is releasing in 2 hours today in digital form only via Steam or their website for those like me at the moment that really has no game to play.

Looks interesting to fill the gap in for a while till something worthwhile releases it's called 'How To Survive' check it out.

http://howtosurvivethegame.com/home.php

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221

1: "rouge" instead of "rogue"  rouge = red or a type of make-up.  Hate that one.

2: Any lazy spellings of words that are otherwise pretty simple to spell.  Like tnx or thnx.  I would rather have someone say TY instead.         See also #3.

3: Cld u hlp me plzzzzzzzzzz

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Can you link me to the original definition of P2W? I'm not saying I don't believe you; I honestly didn't know an official one existed and would like to know what that definition is. 

Its not like its in the dictionary.  But I remember it being used before the f2p craze to describe perfect world/runes of magic type games.  And thats where it makes perfect sense, because you have to pay (a lot0 of money to be competitive.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Why do people feel that simply because "respect is earned", that makes it ok to be disrespectful?

"Guilty until proven innocent" attitude.

My computer is better than yours.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

"We"

"PvEers want"

"PvPers want"

"Daffodil"

"Hardcore"

Nobody has disrespected anyone yet from all the post I've read including mine that you are referring to. My post are strictly my opinion only no one else's. I do not speak for anyone else either. From what I've read are people's opinions so far and the replies are disagreeing or agreeing nothing more.

Its not like its in the dictionary.  But I remember it being used before the f2p craze to describe perfect world/runes of magic type games.  And thats where it makes perfect sense, because you have to pay (a lot0 of money to be competitive.

I don't recall where I first heard it but it wasn't in relation to paying money to be competitive it was in paying money to beat someone else, or paying money to win.

Nobody has disrespected anyone yet from all the post I've read including mine that you are referring to. My post are strictly my opinion only no one else's. I do not speak for anyone else either. From what I've read are people's opinions so far and the replies are disagreeing or agreeing nothing more.

I'm not talking specifically about this thread, although there were a few posts that in my opinion definately were.  Just in general on these boards, other boards and in the world.

It's not uncommon to see someone having a fit/behaving badly/being rude... and the comback is well respect has to be earned.  Not a good reason for bad behaviour in my opinion. 

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Polish to me seems over used.  Most of the others were covered

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

I'm not talking specifically about this thread, although there were a few posts that in my opinion definately were.  Just in general on these boards, other boards and in the world.

It's not uncommon to see someone having a fit/behaving badly/being rude... and the comback is well respect has to be earned.  Not a good reason for bad behaviour in my opinion. 

Oh ok I understand you now. Yes it's unfortunate with the behavior on the internet sites. It's been around since people had access to it along time ago though. Internet warriors there known as nowadays. A 30 year old guy could be having a heated argument over a game not even knowing that the argument is with an 10 year old kid.

I believe it's time for everyone to tone down especially with the anti online bullying laws in effect. I do not want to find myself in court over such a thing which can be very easy for anyone to be succumb to nowadays.

It's better to walk away than having a red face argument trying to get the last insult in. You can be an older person not even realizing that it is a minor you are having an argument with. If that minor does anything to harm themselves which can be proven related to that online argument you can bet the parents will prosecute. I try to keep this in mind for myself, I don't need that trouble and I'm sure no one else does either.

I don't recall where I first heard it but it wasn't in relation to paying money to be competitive it was in paying money to beat someone else, or paying money to win.

Yeah, each group seems to have its own definition of it. Among developers the discussion is often about the perception of pay to win, because about anything one can pay for can be construed as such to one player or another. For example, expansions fit almost every interpretation of the term, but you'd be hard pressed to get many people on these boards who throw around the term "pay to win" to even consider the possibility that is true, let alone accept the reality of it. 

Yeah, each group seems to have its own definition of it. Among developers the discussion is often about the perception of pay to win, because about anything one can pay for can be construed as such to one player or another. For example, expansions fit almost every interpretation of the term, but you'd be hard pressed to get many people on these boards who throw around the term "pay to win" to even consider the possibility that is true, let alone accept the reality of it. 

Well, one thing is sure... in a subscription based game, everybody pays $15 a month and has unlimited access to the game. If a free to play game uses its cash shop to sell items that improve your character, it is indeed "pay to win", because those who pay the most will have an advantage over the others.

"Pay to win" has a quite simple definition... if one who pays $30 a month gets advantages other than cosmetic over a someone who pays just $10, it is indeed "pay to win".

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    1. raped
    2. hand holding
    3. easy mode
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by DamonVile

#4 p2w pay to win. At one time this meant a game was selling a gear/stat advantage from the cash shop that couldn't be obtained in a reasonable manner in game. Better gear, more health, better stats ect. Now it pretty much means WHAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING !!! ???

The original definition needed to die.  The problem is people would try to divide monitization models into bad ones and acceptable ones ... but then ignore any objectives other than their own.  If I'm a collector, my objective is not to min-max my dps, it's to get the number of uncollected items down towards zero.  Putting a collectable in the cash shop is, to a collector, the exact same thing as putting a +1 enchantment to swords that has no analog in-game.

It's not "I have to pay for something !!! ???", it's "my winning conditions are different than yours, stop saying it's ok to make the game p2w for me but not for you".

The problem is that there is no generally accepted definition. Like "gank" and many other negative terms gamers use, it's intentionally ambiguous it allows one to cast a greater net of support for their cause. Useless terms for actual discussion.

Its more that the original definition is fine...

Official how ?

People know the original meaning just by being involved in forums for many years and being there when it was first starting to get used. Selling power for real money is really the "original" use of the term. It quickly evolved into " that you can't earn in game " because people didn't seem to mind as much if your +1 sword ( or whatever ) was something you could also get for free.

But what makes it offical. A link to a wiki never does imo.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

paying money to be competitive and paying money to beat someone else are the same thing though.  One only applies to PvP, the other applies to both aspects.  but they are essentially the same thing:  unless you spend a lot of money you will be inferior and the more you spend the better you will be.

This isnt the cases in games where you can get exp pots or dungeon gear from the shop.  Those are just head starts but in the long run are 100% meaningless.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper

Well, one thing is sure... in a subscription based game, everybody pays $15 a month and has unlimited access to the game. If a free to play game uses its cash shop to sell items that improve your character, it is indeed "pay to win", because those who pay the most will have an advantage over the others.

"Pay to win" has a quite simple definition... if one who pays $30 a month gets advantages other than cosmetic over a someone who pays just $10, it is indeed "pay to win".

but its not an UNFAIR advantage because everyone has the choice of paying the $10 or paying the $30.

Originally posted by TribeofOne
    1. raped
    That's a good one too. I guess most people using that one never had a family member really victim of that crime - or are too young to understand its meaning and are just repeating the latest word that makes you look cool among the "elite".
    1. easy mode

You can bet that most of those who use easy mode for more modern games have never completed the hardest content of those games. It's of course easier to say (e.g.) "WoW is easy mode", than to produce evidence that one has actually killed all the hardest raid bosses in heroic mode.

but its not an UNFAIR advantage because everyone has the choice of paying the $10 or paying the $30.

Some people can afford $10 or $15 but not $30 (or MUCH more) every month just for a video game. When the amount of real life currency you use is directly related to the power your characters have in game, it is definitely "pay to win". You pay to be more powerful. The very definition of the term.

The fact that the advantage is unfair or not is irrelevant. You gain an advantage by using real life money. Pay to win.

It is, definitely, unfair. Some people can afford $10 or $15 but not $30 (or MUCH more) every month just for a video game. When the amount of real life currency you use is directly related to the power your characters have in game, it is definitely "pay to win". You pay to be more powerful. The very definition of the term.

I disagree. in my experience "pay to win" is used to convey the idea of an unfair advantage, however I feel that if you can afford $10 and you wanted it badly enough you'd find away to afford the $30. if you or in some cases your mom image chooses to deny you those advantages, its not the games fault, because they are available to you, for a price.