Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your top 10 mmo forum "terms " you hate the most

Comments

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    "Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.

I don't see Carebear as an insult to be honest. It is used to describe a certain player that does not enjoy PvP, at least that is how I have always seen it used. In my mind I call anyone that plays on a PvP server or game (ala Lineage 2) and does not wish to participate in PvP a carebear, and I don't mean it as an insult, I mean it as a descriptor.

Not sorry if it offends, and I will keep using it when it fits.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Netspook

#11 Ect

Grammar nazi moment: It's ETC ("etcetera"), you noobs! ;D

Damn, that's twice this week I've had this happen. I guess it's because you say it ex-set-era ect made sense. Anyhow I laughed and learned :P

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Hatefull

"Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.

Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.

I don't see Carebear as an insult to be honest. It is used to describe a certain player that does not enjoy PvP, at least that is how I have always seen it used. In my mind I call anyone that plays on a PvP server or game (ala Lineage 2) and does not wish to participate in PvP a carebear, and I don't mean it as an insult, I mean it as a descriptor.

You know what a carebear is, right? Outside of the MMORPG jargon, of course... using that on an adult human being is not insulting? Please... nobody buys that. It's an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the person not sharing your own play style.

Keep on using the term. I will keep reporting people who use it. And on this site, the moderators don't like it either.

My computer is better than yours.

• DeathWolf2uDeathWolf2u Member Posts: 291

"Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.

Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.

I understand your use of the term Carebear thanks for sharing. To get the actual meaning of the term and the people who use it refer to my post on page 2 near the bottom. How I describe it is nailed dead on.

I only recommend that you stop using it as it will single you out and not in your benefit.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I almost forgot to mention on of my most hated expressions.

"End Game". The whole damned gameplay completely changing when one hits some "max level". Thank you EQ (and clones) for that, really, thank you very much.

For me, it's not so much the idea of a game play shift when your character hits max level.  It's more the term itself, "end game", it's a complete misnomer.  The end of the game is when the credits are rolling and you are finished.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Ender4

I dislike when someone calls their character a toon or a doll

I think that all goes back to where they first started playing. ACers called it a toon. I have never heard or read "doll", however "paperdoll" is common, as it's the term for the character display panel, derived from the function it primarily serves which is paperdolling

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Signed, 

Hatefull

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Hatefull   Originally posted by Neo_Viper "Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.   Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.
      I don't see Carebear as an insult to be honest. It is used to describe a certain player that does not enjoy PvP, at least that is how I have always seen it used. In my mind I call anyone that plays on a PvP server or game (ala Lineage 2) and does not wish to participate in PvP a carebear, and I don't mean it as an insult, I mean it as a descriptor. Not sorry if it offends, and I will keep using it when it fits.
    You know what a carebear is, right? Outside of the MMORPG jargon, of course... using that on an adult human being is not insulting? Please... nobody buys that. It's an obvious attempt to belittle and insult the person not sharing your own play style.

Keep on using the term. I will keep reporting people who use it. And on this site, the moderators don't like it either.

Then I suggest you grow thicker skin. I have been called it (I prefer PvP on even ground, not ganking etc) and I have called others it. If you are going to get that upset about it, grow up and get thicker skin. I can't really be bothered to worry about your feelings if that is all it takes to set you off.

This whole thread is just made of whine, I thought the OP had a good idea, and for the most part I agree with him, but the amount of senseless whining I see going on here is truly amazing. Grow up a little bit, and some of you can climb down off your high horse.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

1.Dynamic
    2.Social Tools
    3.Seamless
    4.Immersion
    5.Living Breathing World
    6.90%
    7.Sandbox
    8.Depth
    9.White Knight
    10.Population

At one time, they may have had some relevant meaning. But now, they have just been reduced to marketing bs or trollbait.

Originally posted by DeathWolf2u
    Originally posted by Hatefull   Originally posted by Neo_Viper "Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.   Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.
      I don't see Carebear as an insult to be honest. It is used to describe a certain player that does not enjoy PvP, at least that is how I have always seen it used. In my mind I call anyone that plays on a PvP server or game (ala Lineage 2) and does not wish to participate in PvP a carebear, and I don't mean it as an insult, I mean it as a descriptor. Not sorry if it offends, and I will keep using it when it fits.  

I understand your use of the term Carebear thanks for sharing. To get the actual meaning of the term and the people who use it refer to my post on page 2 near the bottom. How I describe it is nailed dead on.

I only recommend that you stop using it as it will single you out and not in your benefit.

No, I will be fine the people I tend to game with can handle a little 'chin music' without crying. As far s your definition, that is your opinion and I fully support you sharing them I do not however, feel inclined to agree with them.

As far as posting on these forums, yes, I tend to watch what I say as people are very sensitive here. I used to fire both barrels, and I admit I was the cause of some BS, but I have calmed down as I have noticed an attempt by the site mods to clean it up. As you can see I have been a member of these boards for long time, and I do no intend to leave any time soon.

My point is; your advice is relevant to me, only when on these forums, so I can appreciate your point of view there.

Then I suggest you grow thicker skin

"Grow a thicker skin" is one of the usual excuse of those who hide behind a computer screen to insult others.

I suggest you learn to respect other people even on the net, or accept the consequences for being reported and punished.

There are things told in jest by friends and family that I accept. You are neither friend nor family, you are not a "bro" or a "pal" or a "mate" or whatever terms total strangers use on the Internet, so I don't accept those things from people like you.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper "Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.   Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.

No, I will be fine the people I tend to game with can handle a little 'chin music' without crying. As far s your definition, that is your opinion and I fully support you sharing them I do not however, feel inclined to agree with them.

As far as posting on these forums, yes, I tend to watch what I say as people are very sensitive here. I used to fire both barrels, and I admit I was the cause of some BS, but I have calmed down as I have noticed an attempt by the site mods to clean it up. As you can see I have been a member of these boards for long time, and I do no intend to leave any time soon.

My point is; your advice is relevant to me, only when on these forums, so I can appreciate your point of view there.

I can respect your comment as that is your point of view as well. You can also see that I have been a member just as long as you have, (actually got you beat by 5 days) so I know what you are saying especially since I've had a few of my accounts banned for quite a while. So I have toned down just to where I won't get banned again. This account I'm on with now was banned for at least 6 months to a year can't remember anymore. So naturally since I got it back I'm not so inclined to attack on site anymore, pun intended, ha.

However your opinion is noted thanks for sharing.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Concerning the "grammar nazi" thing...

Making a spelling error or misusing a word is one thing.  That doesn't bother me in the context of a game chat box.

But when I get a message and feel like I need a universal translator from Star Trek to figure out what the message reads (assuming it's english), then I do admit to getting annoyed.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    I hate when people say Rouge instead of Rogue.  Unless they are actually talking about a makeup class.

Originally posted by Hatefull Then I suggest you grow thicker skin
    "Grow a thicker skin" is one of the usual excuse of those who hide behind a computer screen to insult others.

I suggest you learn to respect other people even on the net, or accept the consequences for being reported and punished.

There are things told in jest by friends and family that I accept. You are neither friend nor family, you are not a "bro" or a "pal" or a "mate" or whatever terms total strangers use on the Internet, so I don't accept those things from people like you.

And that is fine, I don't hide anywhere to 'insult' others. As I stated, I do not consider it an insult.

You have done nothing to earn my respect at all, actually to be honest your whining is doing the opposite. I am a much worse person in real life than I am here. For the reason stated previously, I am not trying to get my account banned. If people take issue with me IRL, we can settle it however we see fit.

In here though you feel as though it is OK to take a hard tone because you are the one in fact hiding behind your computer. Your little insinuated threats do not effect me any more then having a rising level of contempt for your whining.

So as you so like to do, welcome to my ignore list, I have neither time nor inclination to listen to your pointless whining and crying.

I seriously hope you grow up and realize there is no way it can be personal.

Originally posted by Hatefull   Originally posted by DeathWolf2u Originally posted by Hatefull   Originally posted by Neo_Viper "Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.   Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.
        I understand your use of the term Carebear thanks for sharing. To get the actual meaning of the term and the people who use it refer to my post on page 2 near the bottom. How I describe it is nailed dead on.   I only recommend that you stop using it as it will single you out and not in your benefit.
      No, I will be fine the people I tend to game with can handle a little 'chin music' without crying. As far s your definition, that is your opinion and I fully support you sharing them I do not however, feel inclined to agree with them. As far as posting on these forums, yes, I tend to watch what I say as people are very sensitive here. I used to fire both barrels, and I admit I was the cause of some BS, but I have calmed down as I have noticed an attempt by the site mods to clean it up. As you can see I have been a member of these boards for long time, and I do no intend to leave any time soon. My point is; your advice is relevant to me, only when on these forums, so I can appreciate your point of view there.
    I can respect your comment as that is your point of view as well. You can also see that I have been a member just as long as you have, (actually got you beat by 5 days) so I know what you are saying especially since I've had a few of my accounts banned for quite a while. So I have toned down just to where I won't get banned again. This account I'm on with now was banned for at least 6 months to a year can't remember anymore. So naturally since I got it back I'm not so inclined to attack on site anymore, pun intended, ha.

Yeah I do not think I ever got so far as to get a ban, I have several warnings. Anyway off topic, I do respect your opinion and enjoy having a debate, I can't however see how people take this stuff so personally.

I understand completely hearing the same crap over and again and getting sick of it, I get that, but to actually take offense and then worry enough about it to report people blows my mind. Put them on ignore and move along. IMO.

The above is aimed at in game, here on the forums I understand why we need moderation and to approach each other with some respect, demanding I respect you is a whole other issue however.

Originally posted by Neo_Viper "Fanboi / Fanboy" is very childish and sadly tolerated by the moderators most of the times, even though it's most of the times used as an insult.   Same for "carebear". People using that reek immaturity, and it usually shows in the rest of their posts. And it's also used as an insult often tolerated by the moderation.
        I understand your use of the term Carebear thanks for sharing. To get the actual meaning of the term and the people who use it refer to my post on page 2 near the bottom. How I describe it is nailed dead on.   I only recommend that you stop using it as it will single you out and not in your benefit.
      No, I will be fine the people I tend to game with can handle a little 'chin music' without crying. As far s your definition, that is your opinion and I fully support you sharing them I do not however, feel inclined to agree with them. As far as posting on these forums, yes, I tend to watch what I say as people are very sensitive here. I used to fire both barrels, and I admit I was the cause of some BS, but I have calmed down as I have noticed an attempt by the site mods to clean it up. As you can see I have been a member of these boards for long time, and I do no intend to leave any time soon. My point is; your advice is relevant to me, only when on these forums, so I can appreciate your point of view there.

Yeah I do not think I ever got so far as to get a ban, I have several warnings. Anyway off topic, I do respect your opinion and enjoy having a debate, I can't however see how people take this stuff so personally.

I understand completely hearing the same crap over and again and getting sick of it, I get that, but to actually take offense and then worry enough about it to report people blows my mind. Put them on ignore and move along. IMO.

The above is aimed at in game, here on the forums I understand why we need moderation and to approach each other with some respect, demanding I respect you is a whole other issue however.

Agree 100% respect is earned not given

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by DamonVile

#4 p2w pay to win. At one time this meant a game was selling a gear/stat advantage from the cash shop that couldn't be obtained in a reasonable manner in game. Better gear, more health, better stats ect. Now it pretty much means WHAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING !!! ???

The original definition needed to die.  The problem is people would try to divide monitization models into bad ones and acceptable ones ... but then ignore any objectives other than their own.  If I'm a collector, my objective is not to min-max my dps, it's to get the number of uncollected items down towards zero.  Putting a collectable in the cash shop is, to a collector, the exact same thing as putting a +1 enchantment to swords that has no analog in-game.

It's not "I have to pay for something !!! ???", it's "my winning conditions are different than yours, stop saying it's ok to make the game p2w for me but not for you".

Originally posted by maplestone

#4 p2w pay to win. At one time this meant a game was selling a gear/stat advantage from the cash shop that couldn't be obtained in a reasonable manner in game. Better gear, more health, better stats ect. Now it pretty much means WHAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR SOMETHING !!! ???

The original definition needed to die.  The problem is people would try to divide monitization models into bad ones and acceptable ones ... but then ignore any objectives other than their own.  If I'm a collector, my objective is not to min-max my dps, it's to get the number of uncollected items down towards zero.  Putting a collectable in the cash shop is, to a collector, the exact same thing as putting a +1 enchantment to swords that has no analog in-game.

It's not "I have to pay for something !!! ???", it's "my winning conditions are different than yours, stop saying it's ok to make the game p2w for me but not for you".

The problem is that there is no generally accepted definition. Like "gank" and many other negative terms gamers use, it's intentionally ambiguous it allows one to cast a greater net of support for their cause. Useless terms for actual discussion.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

If you spend any time around forums you've learned that people who post often have a different language than those regular people out there in the world. They run the gambit from slang sayings to strings of single letters or even just misspelled words that everyone seems to do. I used the word terms to encompass the whole range of strange things you see typed out, but they can include just about anything in common use.

So what's your list of things you hate seeing. Explain or don't, but try and keep the list to 10 or less.

sorry dude, but it is gamut, not GAMBIT! LOL!

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/run+the+gamut

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

derp

bad/baddie

And the ironic thing is people that use this sort of crap to put people down are usually average at best players.

I listed terms that are not related to just in games like blog and virul which were started and spread by the news media. I'm trying to think of the other aggravating terms that circulate that are not just in games and the gaming community.

In fact believe it or not the more annoying terms are used by kids on social media sites not games. It seems every word or sentence has been abbreviated into non meaning bullcrap by kids on media sites. Imagine how the education systems can't figure out why kids are dumb nowadays and can't speak or write proper English.

Not trying to be a spelling nazi or anything just stating a fact that this is plaguing the U.S.  Then throw in all the stupid ghetto slang on top of the already ridiculous made-up-on-a-whim abbreviations and terms and you have the future society made up of all FTARDs. This is the future of America get ready for the stone age again, it's coming.

Originally posted by Hatefull Then I suggest you grow thicker skin

And that is fine, I don't hide anywhere to 'insult' others. As I stated, I do not consider it an insult.

You have done nothing to earn my respect at all, actually to be honest your whining is doing the opposite. I am a much worse person in real life than I am here. For the reason stated previously, I am not trying to get my account banned. If people take issue with me IRL, we can settle it however we see fit.

In here though you feel as though it is OK to take a hard tone because you are the one in fact hiding behind your computer. Your little insinuated threats do not effect me any more then having a rising level of contempt for your whining.

So as you so like to do, welcome to my ignore list, I have neither time nor inclination to listen to your pointless whining and crying.

I seriously hope you grow up and realize there is no way it can be personal.

One thing is sure, you did a hell of a job to prove me right.

Thank you :)

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

The problem is that there is no generally accepted definition. Like "gank" and many other negative terms gamers use, it's intentionally ambiguous it allows one to cast a greater net of support for their cause. Useless terms for actual discussion.

Its more that the original definition is fine, but people see it used and decide to apply it where it doesn't fit, either in an attempt to be misleading or just pure ignorance/stupidity.

Games like Perfect World and Runes of Magic are definitely pay to win.  The more money you spend, the stronger you are in those games (up to a point, but that point is really, really high).  Games where you can pay for an exp boost are not pay to win.

clone falls under this too.  I hear people calling GW2 a WoW clone and WoW an EQ clone.  these people are just (possibly intentionally) ignorant of why the term came about in the first place.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

/facepalm

Yeah....no.